Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

MerchantKing

Learned
sick how bois are. a man tell em fuck off but they need they just need to be the bratty fuckbois they are to their man right? im not gay bro

fuck off you absolute quirky weirdo boi, im not these weirsos you see here in droves, now sush, never want to see you again
"I'm too dumb to learn and use proper grammar."

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Btw, after Patch 3 the performance in the city and ACT3 in general is MUCH better.
Is Act 3 finished yet?
No, of course not.

Just like D:OS 1 and 2. Got released from early access with a really nice act 1, a completely different kind of act 2 and sloppy act 3/end game.
I think this can be sad for Divine Divinty too, it's end game was such a slog.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Btw, after Patch 3 the performance in the city and ACT3 in general is MUCH better.
Is Act 3 finished yet?
No, of course not.

Just like D:OS 1 and 2. Got released from early access with a really nice act 1, a completely different kind of act 2 and sloppy act 3/end game.
I think this can be sad for Divine Divinty too, it's end game was such a slog.
Act 1 is by far the high point of the game. If the entire game was act 1 quality I would agree with all the praise about this being all time great game. The map is good with quality exploration. There are cool interconnected quests (for example complete the masterwork weapon. You find the bark in the underdark and have to bring it back.) Owlbear/cub is another example. You interact with them then eventually run into them at the goblin camp. Sazza is another. There is none of this beyond act 1. The writing is decent. Everything is relatively coherent and makes sense.

Even act 2 has none of this. Nothing feels interconnected. Feels like a bunch of random shit thrown on the map. The story is already going off the rails into convoluted retard territory. The gauntlet of Shar was pretty cool at times but that's the main positive. Definitely feels like a different game than act 1 rather than a progression

Beowulf

Arcane
[...] The story is already going off the rails into convoluted retard territory.

I must say that I kinda lost it on the final boss reveal after the Thorm fight:

110djx.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane

Whether it's for a modest $100k Kickstarter RPG or a $120 million one, he would manage to mess it up because he doesn't have the right attitude and has a big inflated ego. If you want to make a good RPG, you need to prioritize your players having fun, which is exactly Larian's attitude. It's like saying, "You want that? We will add it, everything, anything, anything you may have dreamed of when posting on the BioWare forums." it's as if they read all the posts, they listened and implemented it all. They don't try to reinvent the wheel but use an existing and working tabletop RPG system.They delivered everything advertised and much more unlike poe who was cashing on nostalgy and delivered an inferior experience on every aspects.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Whether it's for a modest $100k Kickstarter RPG or a $120 million one, he would manage to mess it up because he doesn't have the right attitude and has a big inflated ego. If you want to make a good RPG, you need to prioritize your players having fun, which is exactly Larian's attitude. It's like saying, "You want that? We will add it, everything, anything, anything you may have dreamed of when posting on the BioWare forums." it's as if they read all the posts, they listened and implemented it all. They don't try to reinvent the wheel but use an existing and working tabletop RPG system.They delivered everything advertised and much more unlike poe who was cashing on nostalgy and delivered an inferior experience on every aspects.

“They delivered everything advertised and much more”

You sure you are talking about BG 3 here? They are marketing exploring upper city a month prior release.

They mentioned you can work with Gortash three months before release.

They market 17000 endings and it didn't even have a proper ending slides.

They lied so much in their marketing they deserve their own "sweet little lies" video.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I can't believe people are complaining that the game doesn't have enemy recycling.
Until recently, a large variety of enemies was an advantage of every game, but as I see, some of them have already had their brains eaten away because of too much shit
You fight plenty of different enemies in chapter 1, but in chapter 2 and 3 the enemy variety take a nosedive. In chapter 2 you face those shadow creatures several times, in chapter 3 there are bunch of trashmobs featuring the same enemy.

Mortmal

Arcane

You sure you are talking about BG 3 here? They are marketing exploring upper city a month prior release.

They lied so much in their marketing they deserve their own "sweet little lies" video.

They promised the best D&D RPG ever, and they delivered it, which, for me, is the fundamental promise. Now, the claim of 17,000 endings was indeed ridiculous, and I never believed it. You can barely interact with Gortash, and overall, the evil route is not fleshed out. But these are minor points compared to PoE. I have a friend who played PoE for just 10 minutes and then discarded it forever, never touching it again. That speaks to how uninspiring it was , probably due to the combat system and the character building alone.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Sawyer wouldn't be able to repeat Larian's success even if they gave him a budget of 1 billion+. The guy is too obsessed with balance (see PoE) and he's not even that good at it.
This is what happens when you treat the player as your worst enemy.

They promised the best D&D RPG ever, and they delivered it, which, for me, is the fundamental promise. Now, the claim of 17,000 endings was indeed ridiculous, and I never believed it. You can barely interact with Gortash, and overall, the evil route is not fleshed out. But these are minor points compared to PoE. I have a friend who played PoE for just 10 minutes and then discarded it forever, never touching it again. That speaks to how uninspiring it was , probably due to the combat system and the character building alone.

If I remember correctly, 17k endings were clickbait and they actually talked about 17k permutations, which is trivial to achieve.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I can't believe people are complaining that the game doesn't have enemy recycling.
Until recently, a large variety of enemies was an advantage of every game, but as I see, some of them have already had their brains eaten away because of too much shit
You fight plenty of different enemies in chapter 1, but in chapter 2 and 3 the enemy variety take a nosedive. In chapter 2 you face those shadow creatures several times, in chapter 3 there are bunch of trashmobs featuring the same enemy.
I am aware of this, but the variety of enemies is still at the highest level compared to other RPG games such as Pathfinder where you have 10 different types of Babau (all the same).

abija

Prophet

The game is not about D&D, it's about bioware style romances brought in line with netflix sensibilities with the full might of an AAA production. It's what sold the game and kept people playing. It was correctly identified early and got most of the resources allocated to it.

If the greatest (but pure) D&D game of all time would be released now it would flop really hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom