Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Shaki

Arbiter
А lot of people create the most special snowflake-y character they can imagine. Those half-Aasimar, half-Tiefling chromatic Dragonborn Kitsune with a panther's tail didn't spring up accidentally. I forbid them in my sessions.
I fucking hate that shit wirh a passion.

God-forbid you put your foot down though and say no. You'll be accused of fucking racism if you do that.

It's part of the reason I don't do much PnP anymore
This is what Larian wants, these people are the intended audience. Remember Swen getting butthurt that most of players were creating a boring human character instead of super special transgender dragonkin or some shit? Larian is the gayest company out there, they're consciously pushing that shit, they want their players to be trannies and fuck bears and mindflayers.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Looking at the most prominent mods on the Nexus, it's all gay shit like hair and clothes. Which really tells you who the audience for this game is.
What were you expecting? Decent mods have always been rare.
Fixes. Rule changes. New classes, spells. Mechanical stuff, not visual.
There are also such mods, but they are a minority.
As I wrote earlier, every game works the same.
Most modders are mentally retarded and this has been true for decades.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Who is "the average player"? A casual? How do you compare yourself - a Codexer - to "the average player"? Make all the bets you want, but without hard data it is all worth less than paper.
You guys are the ones comparing WotR and BG2 to a game with voice acting and dialog cutscenes.

And again, this is about whether or not the game will be memorable to most people. I've already proven with hard numbers that it won't.
Bullshit, I haven't seen the slightest evidence anywhere that this is true.
The game will end up like Skyrim or Witcher3, both titles are remembered by a large number of players (we're not talking about quality, just recognition).
WotR has a greater chance that no one will remember it in 10 years.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Character building is terrible in this game. It's way too simple. No build planning at all.
Build planning autism is the worst thing to happen to D&D besides this woke crap.

The 5E implementation still gives you a lot more choices than BG1 did. More than BG2 before the expansion pack too. You can build your retarded Sorcadin, brag about its 35 AC and then complain that the game is too easy all you like.

Bg3 sold well more than 1.4m copies lol. The game sold a shit load
That's his point. It's mainstream.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Character building is terrible in this game. It's way too simple. No build planning at all.
Build planning autism is the worst thing to happen to D&D besides this woke crap.

The 5E implementation still gives you a lot more choices than BG1 did. More than BG2 before the expansion pack too. You can build your retarded Sorcadin, brag about its 35 AC and then complain that the game is too easy all you like.

That's his point. It's mainstream.
2-3 feats. That is boring as fuck.

I never said the game wasn't mainstream. I said the game had a way bigger player base than reddit trannies

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Who is "the average player"? A casual? How do you compare yourself - a Codexer - to "the average player"? Make all the bets you want, but without hard data it is all worth less than paper.
You guys are the ones comparing WotR and BG2 to a game with voice acting and dialog cutscenes.

And again, this is about whether or not the game will be memorable to most people. I've already proven with hard numbers that it won't.
Only thing proven is your retardation.

afbeelding.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, completion numbers don't mean much. We know most people don't finish games even if they like them. 17.5% is actually a lot for an RPG. That doesn't mean they are going to remember it, however.

Harthwain

Magister
What is this "argument" for?

Must've missed these numbers then. Oh, did you mean the % of people who finished the game? 3% of Darkest Dungeon players have won the game in 2020. Even I didn't finish it, because I burned myself out on Early Access (and the game had 3 layers of grind to pad the time it required to attempt the final dungeon). I never finished Skyrim's main quest. I also have games in my library I picked up on sale that are waiting for me to get to them. So, uh, good job proving shit, I guess?

It may have sold more. My point is - the game was very positively received. 96% is a very rare achievement for a game.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Nah, completion numbers don't mean much. We know most people don't finish games even if they like them. 17.5% is actually a lot for an RPG. That doesn't mean they are going to remember it, however.
>forgets to finish the game
>remembers to watch a TV series about the game

Just stupid enough to be something a normie would do, really. But I still doubt it. At most, they'll remember the name. Which is what all these brand recognition cash grabs are about.

Not that any of this matters, since it will be garbage anyway.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Who cares if people remember the game? What kind of debate is that? The average person is retarded.

BG3 is not a great game. It's somewhere on the spectrum of above average to good. The story is a complete train wreck. It's complete convoluted crap. One of the worst main stories in a "good game" that I've ever played. The companions are crap. A couple okay ones (no standouts) and majority crap.

The combat is good but is ruined by the infinite long rest system so you can freely use all your powerful spells every encounter, plus other cheese like hold person/monster and haste.

Even though I got too bored to finish the game I'll give it a 7/10 because I throughly enjoyed act 1. Still one of the most overrated games in the last 10 years.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Must've missed these numbers then. Oh, did you mean the % of people who finished the game? 3% of Darkest Dungeon players have won the game in 2020. Even I didn't finish it, because I burned myself out on Early Access (and the game had 3 layers of grind to pad the time it required to attempt the final dungeon). I never finished Skyrim's main quest. I also have games in my library I picked up on sale that are waiting for me to get to them. So, uh, good job proving shit, I guess?

It may have sold more. My point is - the game was very positively received. 96% is a very rare achievement for a game.
Yeah because act 1 was really good. But for people who played the whole game, the quality kept getting worse and worse as you play more

Rhobar121

Scholar

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Just to suffer.
Must've missed these numbers then.
Clearly.
I never finished Skyrim's main quest.
Different style of game. Apples to oranges. Plus, you're on RPG forums where people talk about Skyrim all the time. Osmosis and repetition have probably taught you the entire plot by now.

Just for grins though: how interested would you be in seeing a movie about Skyrim? No more than you would be in seeing any other fantasy movie because you don't give a shit about the story.

Thanks for proving my point.

Black

Arcane
Nah, completion numbers don't mean much. We know most people don't finish games even if they like them
Then their review scores mean jack.
"Oooh, I like this so much I can't even be bothered to play it".

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok but you seriously think BG3 is mediocre? I'm in agreement if we're saying it's a little overrated in some aspects, not the second coming of christ as some are painting it as. But mediocre? Come on.
Tell me why you think it isn't mediocre and what you are comparing it against.
Itemisation? Quest design? Encounter design? Player freedom? Monster diversity? Dialogue presentation? Character customisation? Spell diversity, and the broad range of strategies that that enables? NPC design?

I could go on, all of these and more are a far cry from mediocre.

The game has some significant flaws no doubt, but it's beyond edgy to claim that it's mediocre

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok but you seriously think BG3 is mediocre? I'm in agreement if we're saying it's a little overrated in some aspects, not the second coming of christ as some are painting it as. But mediocre? Come on.
Itemisation? Quest design? Encounter design? Player freedom? Monster diversity? Dialogue presentation? Character customisation? Spell diversity, and the broad range of strategies that that enables? NPC design?
I need specifics. I can think of a lot of games that do almost all of these better. "Player freedom" is a trap in this particular case because it either leads to cheese or the game world bowing down to your character in order to facilitate that "freedom". The changes made to 5E made the majority of spells useless. 5E in general has a problem with that, so it's even worse in BG3.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

I could go on, all of these and more are a far cry from mediocre.

The game has some significant flaws no doubt, but it's beyond edgy to claim that it's mediocre
I'll agree with some of your points but character customization? Spell diversity? The best strategy in almost every situation is hold person/hold monster, haste and just crit them to death with your martial. Most of the spells are useless

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom