Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Barbarian

Arcane
Level cap is real bullshit in this. I reached level 12 early chapter 3 on all my playthroughs, and it is hard not to do it unless you speed run maps and ignore quests. I assume you could easily reach level 15 before the final fight without exploits and it was a pretty shitty balancing mistake to allow players to reach level cap at about 60-75% of the game completed.

That is the #1 mod I would add on my first modded run(I play on ps5 so played unmodded so far).

#2 would probably be some difficulty tweaks mod since getting a few more levels in would obviously make the final fights much easier.

I imagine both demands will have officially supported options.

Hydro

Educated
pretty shitty balancing mistake to allow players to reach level cap at about 60-75% of the game completed
Yep. This together with chapter 3 being utter shit makes it pointless to waste time past chapter 2.

Lowering XP rewards plus deLarianisation would have been the mods I’d use should I ever have a desire to replay this cringefest.

Barbarian

Arcane
is every side quest so darn good (I only played Act I) that you feel like you're missing out or can you just not stop touching the poop

I am a completionist and most side quests in acts 1 and 2 are quite alright. I completely missed the Gale, Wyll and Karlach quests for instance since I always either ignore them or kill them. And I still reached level cap. Next playthrough I think I will recruit Wyll since it is apparently the only way to fight a certain dragon(only boss I haven't faced).

Act 3 has several shitty quests I always ignore and recomend ignoring, specially if you already reached level cap. Off the top of my head there is the Umberlee quest, the painter/haunted mansion quest and the "find clown body parts for the tranny necromancer" quest, among others.

Barbarian

Arcane

• Dotted more Dark Urge reactivity (dialogue options and Narrator lines) into dialogues across the game.
Like I said, it's unclear how substantial it will be (probably not very) but it's worth mentioning to someone planning to do an evil run in case they want to see absolutely everything.

Also, what is this about adding Alfira as a temporary companion?

Don't understand why they would do this in the last major patch. Either they are adding a conventional way to spare her as the surge(as opposed to the convoluted strategy autists figured out) or they are adding a hook so that modders can make her a permanent companion.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Also, what is this about adding Alfira as a temporary companion?

Don't understand why they would do this in the last major patch. Either they are adding a conventional way to spare her as the surge(as opposed to the convoluted strategy autists figured out) or they are adding a hook so that modders can make her a permanent companion.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I thought it might be because they want her death to have more of an impact but it makes sense that it could be to add an option to spare her too. I hope they don't go down that route though since it's one of the few evil things that the Urge actually forces you to do, and while I'm glad they didn't fix the exploit for people who desperately want to save her on subsequent playthroughs I think it's a pretty strong narrative moment for unspoiled, first time players as it is.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I mean the way the game forces you to kill her(or that dragonborn lady) is pretty shitty.

Every other time dark urge get to make a saving throw except this one. And when you ask whether you can just revive her the NPC just goes "nah, not gonna do it". It's just lazy writing.

Vatnik Wumao
I mean the way the game forces you to kill her(or that dragonborn lady) is pretty shitty.

Every other time dark urge get to make a saving throw except this one.
I think that it's a good thing imho. Even if you're playing as someone resisting the urge, it's good to showcase how sometimes even willpower is not enough. Gives gravity to the whole situation and makes the decision to renounce Bhaal's essence later on that more meaningful since it's clearly not something that you could live with otherwise as a good character without eventually succumbing. Removing that narrative constraint would be cheap, just as it's cheap that they've scrapped during development the consequences for feeding on tadpoles.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Every other time dark urge get to make a saving throw except this one.
I think that it's a good thing imho. Even if you're playing as someone resisting the urge, it's good to showcase how sometimes even willpower is not enough. Gives gravity to the whole situation and makes the decision to renounce Bhaal's essence later on that more meaningful since it's clearly not something that you could live with otherwise as a good character without eventually succumbing. Removing that narrative constraint would be cheap, just as it's cheap that they've scrapped during development the consequences for feeding on tadpoles.
I agree the idea is good, but the excutation is awful. Because it contridicts with other choices you make where you get a saving throw and it feel very heavy handed rather than the natural progression of the story, espeically when you can ask the NPC to revive her and his reaction is basically "I won't do it because you have to live with it". To make it worse, every one bascially forget about it after that little discussion next morning.

I mean you could even revive the NPC and make it even worse, having her body and mind being all messed up and suffering from a servere PTSD due to what the dark urge did to her. Now it's your choice to help her recover(or brutally murder her again).

Barbarian

Arcane
is every side quest so darn good (I only played Act I) that you feel like you're missing out or can you just not stop touching the poop

Act 3: nothing is good.
FAKE NEWS!

So many cool thing that happen in Act 3.

The bhaalist and guild quests are okay. Also some set fights(e.g: Ramazith's Tower and Iron Throne). Otherwise it is all pretty meh.

Seems like they left most of the woke for act 3 as well.

ShiningSoldier

Literate

FAKE NEWS!

There's only one thing good in Act 3, and that's the song that plays during the fight against
Raphael
. And even this good part quickly becomes boring, because the song repeats again and again in this fight.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

FAKE NEWS!

The bhaalist and guild quests are okay. Also some set fights(e.g: Ramazith's Tower and Iron Throne). Otherwise it is all pretty meh.

The carnival is very good with a lot happening if you explored, house of hope, all the small side quests, exploring the city itself,...

Only real woke thing in Act 3 is the transvestite at the circus and some gay couples, comments from random city dwellers. The only thing that bothered me are indeed the fact there are multiple gay couples in the game, should've toned that down. Still, can get rid of them easily anyway lol.

I think Act 3 was better than Act 2 and that was good too.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

FAKE NEWS!

The carnival is very good with a lot happening if you explored, house of hope, all the small side quests, exploring the city itself,...

Only real woke thing in Act 3 is the transvestite at the circus and some gay couples, comments from random city dwellers. The only thing that bothered me are indeed the fact there are multiple gay couples in the game, should've toned that down. Still, can get rid of them easily anyway lol.

Act 3 is all about MUH REFUGEES WHO DINDU NUFFIN not being allowed into the city.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

FAKE NEWS!

Act 3 is all about MUH REFUGEES WHO DINDU NUFFIN not being allowed into the city.
MOST DIVERSE CITY IN THE REALMS
(Which Im fairly sure is wrong because in Kara-Tur they have Spelljammer ports.)

MjKorz

Educated
There's only one thing good in Act 3, and that's the song that plays during the fight against Raphael.
Low-quality ripoff. DDO did it first and much better, creating a whole raid with puzzles, combat encounters and geas-induced mandatory dancing around a song:

Barbarian

Arcane
Games shouldn't be balanced around completionists, at any rate.

Do most players leave the map unexplored and ignore quests received?

Don't think so. Even if you skip a lot you will probably get enough XP to reach level 15 throughout the game.

It is bad balance. Cant remember any game where you reach level cap so soon and without effort. Even cuckfinder games were well balanced in that regard(and you had an exploit to level up faster with a smaller party, something that bg3 does not have)

Barbarian

Arcane
Even cuckfinder games were well balanced in that regard
With all the DLC installed, you hit level 20 in WotR early in chapter 5, almost at the start. Mythic ranks are a different story, though.

Exactly, there was still progression. Legend mythic also allowed further leveling.

Bg3 several quests provide no actual reward once you reach level cap and gotten your desired gear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom