Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Barbarian

Arcane
Shouldn't just surviving and fighting in the underdark wilderness already mean he was taking ranger levels?

I don't remember if in early editions there was any lore about ranger needing specific training by another ranger, or having a chosen deity for that matter.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Shouldn't just surviving and fighting in the underdark wilderness already mean he was taking ranger levels?

I don't remember if in early editions there was any lore about ranger needing specific training by another ranger, or having a chosen deity for that matter.
Forgotten Realms is unique in that it mandates anyone who casts divine spells to choose a deity. There is none of that "I am a Cleric of no deity" bullshit. NWN2's Bishop was actually against the rules and should never have been able to cast spells at the very least.

The problem is that Driz'zt was written during 2nd Ed. In that ruleset, you can change class, but you lose 2 levels in the process. Driz'zt was a level 18 Fighter who changed class to level 16 Ranger (or was it 20 and 18? I forgot). When they changed to 3.0, the writers took the opportunity to re-write his class(es) to be more like the book, but no one nailed down where the boundaries are of when he started getting each level, although some are pretty obvious.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
you typically need somewhere around level 8-11 for a multiclass build to mature. And the prospect of needing to reach the late Act 2 / Act 3 again in order to just play around with a new build is, well... ugh...

I have a save at end of chapter 1 at lv 7 with about 40% of the XP bar. Can send via message if you want. But here is a guide on how to get lv 8 in act 1. So you can make a save and use it to replay multiclasses in act 2/3.

Thank you. I've actually finished the game, so I may have a suitable save for rerolling somewhere.
But my intention was not to dick around and test a build, but rather experience how it plays troughout, including the earlier levels, which are typically more challenging.

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm playing a modded 3 man party run on "custom" honour mode(custom difficulty with honor mode settings minus the 1 save file restriction). MC, Shadowheart and Astarion. It has been both fun and challenging so far(still on act 1). I have died a few times already before managing to wipe out goblin camp at level 4.

Only gameplay mod is the level 13-20 mod(which will only kick in on act 3 off course, since I'm not using any xp progression alteration). Rest only aesthetics. I will self restrict characters to only reach level 12 in a single class and have no more than 2 classes total. Also barrelmancy is forbidden in this run(only acceptable explosives are grenades and satchels). MC Shadow Monk/Thief, Astarion Lore Bard/Arcane Trickster, Shadowheart Life Cleric and... I haven't decided on a second class yet. I will be using tadpole powers except partial illthid and plan to side with the emperor this time.

Only 4th character I intend to recruit is bear fag druid, so I can finish the Thaniel quest. Then I intend to let Orin kill him. I intend to let Jaheira die in the Moonrise fight, something which will lock me out of recruiting Minsc as well. No hirelings. Only summon I will use is Scratch.

I'm curious about how some things play out this way. What happens in Danthelon's basement if you go there without Jaheira and without her quest? Are the shapeshifters still there?

Barbarian

Arcane
I have noticed a few different things already. Like some banter and camp conversations I didn't have in previous playthroughs, which is strange since I had the exact same party minus Laezel(which I didn't recruit this time). I'm not sure if it is stuff added in last patch or if some banter/conversation triggers change without her.

I'm sure going into the creche without Lazel will also change a lot of content.

Litmanen

Educated
Guys, I'm in a multiplayer match with some friends of mine and we've "run" in the hag in the south part of the very first map. The one who has imprisoned the child.

We are level 5 and playing honor difficulty. Until now, every battle have been "possible" while this fucking hag is damned hard. Any suggestion?

Litmanen

Educated
She is possible even at Lvl 4 from memory. If you misty step someone to the lever to save the bint in the cage, then magic missile the clones you can focus her down pretty quickly.
It's funny I'm answering to you in Underrail's thread and you're helping me in this one.

You mean that with magic missile her clones disappears? Because I remember I punched a couple of them and they were still there. All of them with 140 HP (and we have 49, maybe?!)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
She is possible even at Lvl 4 from memory. If you misty step someone to the lever to save the bint in the cage, then magic missile the clones you can focus her down pretty quickly.
You can just throw a water bottle to extinguish the cage flames.

But yes, aoe (like Shatter) and especially multi-target spells, like Magic Missile, are your friend there.

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's funny I'm answering to you in Underrail's thread and you're helping me in this one.

You mean that with magic missile her clones disappears? Because I remember I punched a couple of them and they were still there. All of them with 140 HP (and we have 49, maybe?!)
Yeah just fire a higher level MM and send each missile at different instances of the hag. The real one doesn't disappear if hit. And Haplo is right you can just use water to extinguish the fire too. I just never carried it around.

Litmanen

Educated

Yeah just fire a higher level MM and send each missile at different instances of the hag. The real one doesn't disappear if hit. And Haplo is right you can just use water to extinguish the fire too. I just never carried it around.
Thank you. To save the girl is actually my last problem...

Barbarian

Arcane
Guys, I'm in a multiplayer match with some friends of mine and we've "run" in the hag in the south part of the very first map. The one who has imprisoned the child.

We are level 5 and playing honor difficulty. Until now, every battle have been "possible" while this fucking hag is damned hard. Any suggestion?

If you don't have create water or don't want to spend a spell slot you can throw a water bottle in the cage to put down the fire.

"Protection from good and evil" and "protection from poison" are very useful here, as is the elixir of poison resistance.

If you trigger her honor mode ability where she spawns copies of herself, magic missile is the best spell to eliminate them quickly and reliably. You can buy scrolls of it if you and your buddies can't cast it.

jackofshadows

Arcane
Wait, what? I remember she casts copies of herself in the release version i.e. w/o honor mode back then. And yeah just hit MM and then burst the bitch down - that's the whole tactics (you also want to use stealth beforehand as usual for you melee chars to be near her), surprised they didn't add anything real nasty for the honor mode.

Litmanen

Educated
Wait, what? I remember she casts copies of herself in the release version i.e. w/o honor mode back then. And yeah just hit MM and then burst the bitch down - that's the whole tactics (you also want to use stealth beforehand as usual for you melee chars to be near her), surprised they didn't add anything real nasty for the honor mode.
Maybe in honor mode they do not disappear if not touched with Magic Missiles or other magics... because i'm sure I hit several of them with my monk and they didn't disappear

jackofshadows

Arcane
Maybe in honor mode they do not disappear if not touched with Magic Missiles or other magics... because i'm sure I hit several of them with my monk and they didn't disappear
Maybe, I never played honor mode. That would be a huge improvement for the fight. Thought other guys know what they're talking about, here's plenty of those who finished the new mode.

Barbarian

Arcane
In honor mode she can spawn the copies as a reaction when you use any magic ability or spell.

I think in lower difficulty she does it as an action and only if she lost a certain amount of hp. Not sure about it though.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/baldu...-even-the-most-cold-hearted-lolth-sworn-drow/

Baldur's Gate 3 takes the crown in the PC Gamer Top 100: 'To be named alongside so many of these games today is truly an honour—enough to tug at the heartstrings of even the most cold-hearted Lolth-sworn drow'​

Disco Elysium's impressive run at the top is over after four years.

It's a big day for PC Gamer—the culmination of months of discussions, arguments, maths and refinement. If you're a reader of our illustrious mag then you'll have already seen it, but for everyone else today is the day we unveil our meaty Top 100.

This is a rather momentous one, too, because there's been a big shake up at the top. After dominating the Top 100 for several years, Disco Elysium has been knocked off its throne. Unsurprisingly, given how much time we've spent writing about it over the last year and change, the usurper is, of course, Baldur's Gate 3.

"Baldur's Gate 3 is our tribute to tabletop RPGs, inspired by countless nights spent adventuring and storytelling with friends around a table," says Larian's frequently-armoured CEO, Swen Vincke. "But bringing this world from tabletops to PC and consoles couldn't have happened without the foundations laid by the RPG titans who came before us—videogames that many of our team grew up playing and cherishing. To be named alongside so many of these games today is truly an honour—enough to tug at the heartstrings of even the most cold-hearted Lolth-sworn drow. Thank you PC Gamer, and to all of you, for allowing us to add our own chapter to this legacy of RPG storytelling."

And what a chapter it is—one that not only lives up to the legacy of its predecessors, but exceeds it, embracing D&D and the pillars of tabletop roleplaying in a way that the, admittedly superb, Infinity Engine games never even attempted.

In this age of live service games, most games that are primarily offline, singleplayer affairs have an uphill struggle when it comes to maintaining their relevance. Eventually they tend to slide out of the news cycle and cease to be as fervently discussed on social media—victims of dwindling attention spans and an industry that never stands still. Not BG3, though. We're as obsessed with it now as we were in August '23.

The frequent and often beefy updates have helped, certainly, but BG3 is also just the kind of game that you can't shake, with characters, story beats and roleplaying possibilities that stay with you. It's the kind of 150-hour epic that you finish and then immediately start again, dumping your happy-go-lucky half-drow bard for a dragonborn serial killer, or one of the other countless configurations, dramatically changing the course of your adventure.

It turns out that we also just really love a great RPG. While our Top 100 lists reflect the richness of PC gaming, that one genre seems to spit out more of our faves than any other. Before Disco's dominance, it was Divinity: Original Sin 2 and The Witcher 3, and while Half-Life 2 had a resurgence in our 2015 list, before that it was Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim. For over a decade now, the RPG has been king. We'll have to wait another year to see if Baldur's Gate 3 manages to keep its crown.

Old Hans

Arcane
besides magic missile, use things like fire bombs on the copies AND always remember the real Hag is the first one in the initiative order

Hydro

Educated
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/baldu...-even-the-most-cold-hearted-lolth-sworn-drow/

Baldur's Gate 3 takes the crown in the PC Gamer Top 100: 'To be named alongside so many of these games today is truly an honour—enough to tug at the heartstrings of even the most cold-hearted Lolth-sworn drow'​

Disco Elysium's impressive run at the top is over after four years.

It's a big day for PC Gamer—the culmination of months of discussions, arguments, maths and refinement. If you're a reader of our illustrious mag then you'll have already seen it, but for everyone else today is the day we unveil our meaty Top 100.

This is a rather momentous one, too, because there's been a big shake up at the top. After dominating the Top 100 for several years, Disco Elysium has been knocked off its throne. Unsurprisingly, given how much time we've spent writing about it over the last year and change, the usurper is, of course, Baldur's Gate 3.

"Baldur's Gate 3 is our tribute to tabletop RPGs, inspired by countless nights spent adventuring and storytelling with friends around a table," says Larian's frequently-armoured CEO, Swen Vincke. "But bringing this world from tabletops to PC and consoles couldn't have happened without the foundations laid by the RPG titans who came before us—videogames that many of our team grew up playing and cherishing. To be named alongside so many of these games today is truly an honour—enough to tug at the heartstrings of even the most cold-hearted Lolth-sworn drow. Thank you PC Gamer, and to all of you, for allowing us to add our own chapter to this legacy of RPG storytelling."

And what a chapter it is—one that not only lives up to the legacy of its predecessors, but exceeds it, embracing D&D and the pillars of tabletop roleplaying in a way that the, admittedly superb, Infinity Engine games never even attempted.

In this age of live service games, most games that are primarily offline, singleplayer affairs have an uphill struggle when it comes to maintaining their relevance. Eventually they tend to slide out of the news cycle and cease to be as fervently discussed on social media—victims of dwindling attention spans and an industry that never stands still. Not BG3, though. We're as obsessed with it now as we were in August '23.

The frequent and often beefy updates have helped, certainly, but BG3 is also just the kind of game that you can't shake, with characters, story beats and roleplaying possibilities that stay with you. It's the kind of 150-hour epic that you finish and then immediately start again, dumping your happy-go-lucky half-drow bard for a dragonborn serial killer, or one of the other countless configurations, dramatically changing the course of your adventure.

It turns out that we also just really love a great RPG. While our Top 100 lists reflect the richness of PC gaming, that one genre seems to spit out more of our faves than any other. Before Disco's dominance, it was Divinity: Original Sin 2 and The Witcher 3, and while Half-Life 2 had a resurgence in our 2015 list, before that it was Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim. For over a decade now, the RPG has been king. We'll have to wait another year to see if Baldur's Gate 3 manages to keep its crown.
Baldur’s Gate and Fallout are crowned forever as the pinnacle of what western RPG genre was able to achieve, irrespective of what kind of charts these cumslurping soyjacks come up with

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom