Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Welp, just encountered a horrendous bug. Enemy AI completely turns off in every combat encounter if a certain party member that you have has had some buggy interaction with being downed/helped up in a previous encounter (at least that's how I've sussed it out after checking 2 year old larian forums threads and reddit threads reporting the issue in early access). It's absolutely game breaking and forces you to roll back to an ages old autosave before you unknowingly triggered the bug. People offered solutions that seemed to work for some people years ago like killing and reviving the party member but for me that doesn't work, I was able to figure out which party member was at fault by killing each of them one by one and running into a combat encounter, and it's my main character so I can't even switch him out for someone else.

The only saving grace is that I know which combat it was that ended up breaking it, because the combat right after was bugged and I just brushed it off as a one time thing, three hours on from that combat I came to realize it was in-fact not a one time thing, so now I need to roll back. How does a bug this game breaking survive minimum 2 years of the early access?

Interesting but could you tell us (in spoiiler ofc) which character/interactions it is please, so we can be wary of it?
As far as I know it's not specific to any encounter, at least according to all the different forum posts I've read about it dating back years. It just randomly seems to happen when a party member gets downed and then the game fails to tick 0 over to a 1 when they get helped back up during that encounter, then every following encounter is broken and enemy combat AI is turned off entirely. But for me specifically:
It was in the swamp. I fought the mud sprites or whatever and ever since that encounter, every combat I have entered has been bugged with the enemy AI off. I thought it was a one time thing when I was killing the red caps in the Hag's cabin so I continued, only to find out at the actual Hag fight in her arena that it was in-fact not a one time thing. My closest savegame that is before the mud sprite battle is an autosave from right before entering the swamp which is 3 hours older than the latest quicksave, it's probably only like an hour of gameplay if I rush it but I do explore pretty thoroughly on the first time through a place.
Also had this bug, seems like it's not so rare
Was it with the same fights in the swamp that I mentioned or elsewhere? I've read multiple different locations for this happening in early access.

Lemming42

Arcane
Oooookay, there is a serious fault in the combat engagement system. You absolutely CAN lure individual enemies away so you can murder them one by one.
That's not a fault, the game's built around you having that option. The spell Minor Illusion exists pretty much for that purpose.

It was the most fun way I found to do Goblin Camp - knock some of the guards out (KO is fun because it precludes you from using Long Rest since the enemies get back up) by luring them away, then sneak up into the rafters and assassinate the warlord. Then creep out while shitting myself and having constant stealth checks happen every time one of the confused goblins glances up at the rafters.

You can also kill the entire squad of the fat devil dude in the Temple of Shar this way by luring them to the chasm and having Karlach bodyslam them into oblivion. None of them care since they're automatons, so you can get them all this way as long as the Displacer Beast and fatass devil guy don't see you.

Shaki

Arbiter
Oooookay, there is a serious fault in the combat engagement system. You absolutely CAN lure individual enemies away so you can murder them one by one.
100% it's on purpose, Swen loves giving players "creative solutions" to combat encounters, like luring enemies away, hitting a barrel so they all explode, or pushing them into a chasm that is conveniently placed right behind a group of them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
100% it's on purpose, Swen loves giving players "creative solutions" to combat encounters, like luring enemies away, hitting a barrel so they all explode, or pushing them into a chasm that is conveniently placed right behind a group of them.

It depends how that's done. I don't like the idea of being able to "lure" a guard away. The whole point of a guard is to... well, guard. If they spot you you'd think their first prerogative would be to alert the rest of the group, otherwise wtf are they guarding?

So unless you can use a spell to fool them into coming after you, this feels like just cheating badly written AI.

Shaki

Arbiter
Welp, just encountered a horrendous bug. Enemy AI completely turns off in every combat encounter if a certain party member that you have has had some buggy interaction with being downed/helped up in a previous encounter (at least that's how I've sussed it out after checking 2 year old larian forums threads and reddit threads reporting the issue in early access). It's absolutely game breaking and forces you to roll back to an ages old autosave before you unknowingly triggered the bug. People offered solutions that seemed to work for some people years ago like killing and reviving the party member but for me that doesn't work, I was able to figure out which party member was at fault by killing each of them one by one and running into a combat encounter, and it's my main character so I can't even switch him out for someone else.

The only saving grace is that I know which combat it was that ended up breaking it, because the combat right after was bugged and I just brushed it off as a one time thing, three hours on from that combat I came to realize it was in-fact not a one time thing, so now I need to roll back. How does a bug this game breaking survive minimum 2 years of the early access?

Interesting but could you tell us (in spoiiler ofc) which character/interactions it is please, so we can be wary of it?
As far as I know it's not specific to any encounter, at least according to all the different forum posts I've read about it dating back years. It just randomly seems to happen when a party member gets downed and then the game fails to tick 0 over to a 1 when they get helped back up during that encounter, then every following encounter is broken and enemy combat AI is turned off entirely. But for me specifically:
It was in the swamp. I fought the mud sprites or whatever and ever since that encounter, every combat I have entered has been bugged with the enemy AI off. I thought it was a one time thing when I was killing the red caps in the Hag's cabin so I continued, only to find out at the actual Hag fight in her arena that it was in-fact not a one time thing. My closest savegame that is before the mud sprite battle is an autosave from right before entering the swamp which is 3 hours older than the latest quicksave, it's probably only like an hour of gameplay if I rush it but I do explore pretty thoroughly on the first time through a place.
Also had this bug, seems like it's not so rare
Was it with the same fights in the swamp that I mentioned or elsewhere? I've read multiple different locations for this happening in early access.
For me it was the goblin camp, specifically the fight with the big red hobgoblin boss - after it next goblins I encountered refused to take any actions in combat, they just stood still and let me murder them. After same happened with another encounter, I figured out something is bugged, fortunately I had pre-hobgoblin fight save and didn't have to replay much.

So what is the Codex conclusion about this game?
Story and characters are dogshit, at least from the bit I played. It's all so "quirky and alt". I don't know if I am gonna push my luck any further with this game as I am a massive storyfagg and that seems to be the weakest point of the whole game. The world doesn't feel like it exists on its own, it's a theme park built just for you.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Which is generally fine but right now for example I opened the door to the hobgoblin warlords room and the only guy who saw me was a lone warlock. The game works on a radius rather than line of sight, which isn't great.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't follow Early Access very closely, but I'm under impression Larian changed a metric fuck ton of stuff in the final release.
Imagine how cutscene animators felt when Swen told them he's changing Wet Dream Waifu to Mommy Protector, and all their effort goes into trash.
Feels like a thing that could have been prevented with some pencils, paper and a single writer meeting.

Zrzut-ekranu-2023-08-05-224544.png

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I avoided the goblin campaign in EA so that it would feel fresh. I am impressed by the size of it. With disguise-self drow, I am taking my time to explore, find treasure, pick off guards, rescue prisoners, kill the priestess, etc.

And then I found an entrance to the under dark, which opens up yet another huge area to explore.

I didn't follow Early Access very closely, but I'm under impression Larian changed a metric fuck ton of stuff in the final release.
Imagine how cutscene animators felt when Swen told them he's changing Wet Dream Waifu to Mommy Protector, and all their effort goes into trash.
Feels like a thing that could have been prevented with some pencils, paper and a single writermeeting.
Oh, interesting. So it doesnt try to rape you anymore?
0a4.png

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
So what is the Codex conclusion about this game?
As someone who didn't really enjoy D:OS or D:OS 2, I think this is really good overall.

Story and characters aren't great but they're not generally offensively bad either, they're mostly fine. After initially thinking "oh god no here we go" when meeting the companions, I've warmed to most of them to some degree except for Gale, who sucks shit and is boring, and Wyll, who is just dull.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Feels like a thing that could have been prevented with some pencils, paper and a single writermeeting.
Oh, interesting. So it doesnt try to rape you anymore?
FFS, how many Sandro avatars we have now?

AshenNedra

Educated
Hey guys technical question here. My SSD is too limited to install the game.

Has anybody tried to play with the game installed on an HDD? Is it viable?

Thanks in advance.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zarniwoop I'm on dx11 anyway. As for drivers....eh I had some bad experiences with them before and now I got one that's super stable so I'd rather not toy with them especially since the game is more than playable as it is. Any cache or folder that would need clearing though? This problem wasn't present for me in EA.

knF2Ej.jpg

FZyeBl.jpg

You could try that but these kinds of artefacts/missing textures/weird graphics glitches are 99% of the time due to a driver issue. The other 1% is hardware failure.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Feels like a thing that could have been prevented with some pencils, paper and a single writer meeting.

Zrzut-ekranu-2023-08-05-224544.png

According to Larian forum, some of the testers felt "insecure" and even "creeped" by Dream Lover. That's why we cannot have nice things.

I think ton of fun people and me get is simply pure system changes which explain to my why i like so much BG3 combat/gameplay vs Pathfinder/Pillars. It reminds me so much of 2nd edition of DnD which was the most fun i had with DnD.
lvl 5 atm. So far 5e is super fun system to play compared to 3e i hated (I loved 2e)

Then on top of those changes there is Larian design which further enhances that by properly supporting each class and proper RP and giving plenty ways to use situational gameplay.

- Each level feels meaningful and you never have this "if I multiclass in this i lose X for pretty much nothing ?" Good example of this was choosing rogue lvl2 over fighter lvl2. Yes fighter lvl2 gives me extra action but rogue gives me 3 skills dash/stealth/something and movement seems to be more important for my character than just pure damage as bolt in mage head is more important most of the time than even few swings of sword. Each level seems to give something specific and useful.
- casting in armor is logically funneled into whatever you are proficient in armor or not. As long as you are proficient in X armor type you can cast. So if you want to roleplay fighter/mage you can roleplay fighter mage. You lose 1 lvl of mage but you can wear anything you want. Above class levels there are other stuff to choose and depending on how you build your character it can be fighter that only uses 2-3 spells or full combined fighter mage or mage that works more like cleric etc. There is incentive for mages to stay pure and pick other feats than armor as well so it is balance of choice.
- simplicity. You don't need to study your character feats and traits to play and almost nothing is situational from class point. Which means you think more about actual combat and RP than remembering all stupid traits you build around. It reminds me a lot 2nd edition which i loved. It is complex where it matters and simple to play. It cuts bullshit waste.
- flatter number scaling, hp bloat isn't as huge as 3rd edition and combining with Larian environmental and situational combat means lvl 1 character still can win against high level character provided tactics are involved and some big brain thinking. This also means that even cantrips are pretty powerful if used right which further means that losing 2-3 levels of wizard for say fighter or something else isn't as that bad. Going pure has benefits as well but experimentation isn't as bad as it used to be in 3rd edition i hated.
- short/long rest is great mechanic combined with supplies. Short rests are great if you just want some heal between fights while long rest is strategic. Companions also work as replacement. So if someone in your party is tired etc. just swap him for someone else. This means longer plays between rests.
- feats are mostly general and powerful instead of being weak and specialized. Gone are the days of 3rd edition one million feats that worked on sundays but not on thursdays. When I first saw on my mage feat list I really struggled to pick something because they all were very beneficial rather than my 3rd edition experience where I mostly picked just general AC or damage as most of feats were too situational.
- there are no dump stats. Due to 5e + Larian design every stat has some use on every character and because damage and hp is much flatter your +2 to damage from strength isn't really that much needed. I play right not DEX+CHA fighter, something i normally wouldn't consider at all in other dnd game like pathfinder. Even WIS+CHA fighter makes sense, solve problems, don't do a lot of damage but you are effectively anti mage fighter add mageslayer feat as well.
- traps,lockpicking seems pretty easy at start but soon you realize that without dedicated "thief" you will quickly run out of tools and those tools cost money if they are available at all.

You are absolutely right. I was never fond with D&D mechanics, but now I can fully appreciate second edition. Fifth has only gimmicks, dice drops between tiefling role-playing.

A'propos de role-playing, I'm disappointed how Larian changed Shadowheart from evil and malice cleric to accordant visual-novel girl. I because tester are pussies and afraid rejection from a wench?

I always liked second edition best because:

1) It respected lore archetype. The rigid nature of the system, the fact only humans could be paladin or could dual class, the fact you were often locked in a single class, this wasn't a "limitation", but a point of attraction as it made the world feel more substantial. Sure some things could have used some work, but i always hated the "everything" goes mentality of 3E.

2) You didn't have to spend an hour theory crafting every time your character leveled up. More is not always better, and i'm sure leveling was made simple and inuitive specifically not to boggle down the game in a table top session.

Also, one thing i liked about DnD in general was the spell system and the spells themselves. Keep in mind i don't have a lot of experience with table top systems, all my RPG experience comes form video games, and DnD is one of the few settings i experienced where spells weren't just boring variations of the same pew pew shit. The way spells were designed made it really feel like magic was a science in this world, each spell being something a mage discovered which is why it worked in a certain way and had its own unique characteristics which occationally also factored in how you ended up using the spell.

Honestly i just liked how "lore" heavy in a kinda of Tolkienesque way the whole thing was. I dislike systems where nothing matters but the meta and lore is just pointless empty fluff.

In defend of Larian at last they try to make each encounter different, from simple goblin fight to tower with indestructible canons.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
According to Larian forum, some of the testers felt "insecure" and even "creeped" by Dream Lover. That's why we cannot have nice things.
Testers fag it up once again.

They took it from an incline mindgame to some kind of Guardians of the Galaxy bullshit.

Oh well, at least it will convince reddit to larva themselves.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
So when will Shadowcooch show me the cooch? She promised it like 10 hours ago.

This is what avoiding spam rest gives you - blue balls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom