Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Rhobar121

Scholar
Considering Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 were already remembered quite well
lmao. I bet the average player doesn't remember the half-baked plot or the characters. I know I don't, but then I gave up on both of them. Boring and with lame Larian writing.
Most people have no idea or don't remember about BG2, let alone other titles. I don't know what this is supposed to prove.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Most people have no idea or don't remember about BG2, let alone other titles. I don't know what this is supposed to prove.
BG2 was 23 years ago. Of course they don't.

And this schizophrenic conversation is about whether or not people will even remember BG3 when the live action movie or series comes out on Netflix.

A stretch considering half of you seem to forget what this conversation was about every other post.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think they'll quit way before Act 3 and have a decent impression of it.
You've described every modern Larian game. I've said this repeatedly over the years but I think DOS has such good review scores because most players (and probably codexers) didn't make it beyond the halfway mark. Okay I was being generous with the halfway mark achievements show two thirds of players noped out before Outer Cyseal: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/373420/achievements/

Yeah, DoS 1 and 2 also starts to run out of juice in their 2nd acts later stages. Even their enhnaced editions didn't enhanced end game a lot. Even their older titles are mostly like this.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
There are criticisms to be made of BG3, but the ones being made in this thread are either flaccid ("it runs out of steam by act 3!", "most players wont even finish it!" - just like every single CRPG ever, and the vast majority of games longer than 30 hours) or bordering on poseur posturing ("its below average in every respect!").

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I liked parts of DOS2 but the ending was so bad that I can't complete another run because knowing that it's coming ruins my enjoyment. The endings to BG3 are nowhere near as infuriating, even the evil ending that everyone hates (although I did notice that Orpheus tried the 'you made everything worse just by playing!' schtick that Larian loves so much when he's shouting at you, but thankfully it was brief and you can just gloss over it).

Yuber

Educated
If they would not have included characters from BG1&2 I might have tried it on deep sale.
But I don't wanna see what they did to them, I already saw pictures and they look so ugly with Larians Graphic style urgh

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are criticisms to be made of BG3, but the ones being made in this thread are either flaccid ("it runs out of steam by act 3!", "most players wont even finish it!" - just like every single CRPG ever, and the vast majority of games longer than 30 hours) or bordering on poseur posturing ("its below average in every respect!").
These are not the criticisms being made.

1. My #1 problem with BG3 is the writing. BG3 has nothing to say and does so badly. The main story is bizarre and a nothingburger, requiring immense schisms with established lore to function. The lore is completely disregarded the moment it becomes inconvenient and that's quite frequently, so frequent in fact it starts to grate and becomes impossible to ignore. The villains are ineffectual and sometimes comical in their melodrama. Orin is the worst one, but the Final Fantasy reject isn't much better. The game somehow manages to have not 1, not 2, but 3 psycho serial killers (if you are playing Durge). There is a certain "we can do it better" syndrome permeating the whole thing. Orin and Ghortash are both trying to be Sarevok, at least different aspects of him, but failing miserably, even down to becoming Duke of Baldur's Gate and using Doppelgangers to infiltrate institutions. Shart is obviously Viconia but white and with less character. Viconia and Sarevok are defaced beyond recognition and it feels like arrogance on the part of the writers instead of homage or cameos. The companions are almost all fanfic-tier and that's not an exaggeration or edginess. It honestly feels like the writers have never read anything other than fan fiction in their entire lives. The only one you can squeeze any significance out of is Astarion, seeing as how he is a victim of sexual abuse and that actually affects him quite a lot. Outside of Astarion in a very few cases, companions don't have any agency in their own (inner) lives. Shart changes allegiances at the drop of a hat because you said so. Wyll sacrifices his own father to be rid of Mizora because you said so. This is a symptom of the whole plot and game being written around you, nothing can stop you from doing what you want and it feels extremely artificlal in a bad way. I can go on and on about the writing because it's all bad all the time and it accosts you with it constantly. The cuck squad just aren't good writers even in a general sense.

2. The changes from 5E are almost all for the worse. Almost every single one buffs classes that didn't need buffing or nerfs classes that didn't need nerfing (warlocks, fighters). Ranger is probably the best change because the class was just unplayable and had an identity crisis. This is just a cancerous growth emenating from the "we can do it better" syndrome. This makes the game even easier than it already is and it's a baby's-first-video-game sort of difficulty. I don't know about the custom difficulties, maybe they are much better, but I doubt it improves the AI much. The AI does ridiculous things like summoning a creature in a Wall of Fire, killing it instantly and then running through the same wall, almost suiciding in the process.

3. The much extolled verisimilitude amounts to cheesing the game, like D:OS1 and 2 before it. There is always a barrel or two you can keep in your pocket in order to cheese an encounter. When it isn't used for cheesing, it's just for filling your inventory with mundane objects. The one neutral aspect of it is how the game is full of verticality. 5E doesn't use verticality very well because all it does is force you to equip ranged weapons on all your characters, just like in Solasta, but it's good for roleplaying and exploration purposes.

4. The music is generic and that's unacceptable in a Baldur's Gate game. There is nothing much to say here.

All of this combines to create the impression that BG3 is the most shameless act of necrophilia in video game history. It's not only average on its own, it has to disfigure a much-beloved series in the process. Its only real virtue is that it sold well enough for everyone to realize TB RPGs sell. Congratulations to Larian.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
The fact that BG3 makes Lacrymas so mad makes this victory all the sweeter, I just can't stop winning bros!

afbeelding.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
The game doesn't make me mad, it isn't significant enough for that. What makes me mad is its reception. There are so many other, better games/RPGs out there that deserve it way more, but we all have to kneel at the altar of mediocrity.

jackofshadows

Magister
companions don't have any agency in their own (inner) lives
This is a blatant lie. It might seem so if playing it *normally* but there're plenty of instances where they can even attack you like when you tell SH you won't go down after Nightsong. Which was very stupid by the way, why wouldn't she just leave and go there herself instead?
The changes from 5E are almost all for the worse.
Worse in what sense? The goal Larian pursued was to make it less restrictive and most importantly fun in practice. With that I'm suprised they did nothing with the concentration system, otherwise I think they were right. They shouldn't have balanced it around 1% of potential audience which can use mods anyway.
The music is generic and that's unacceptable in a Baldur's Gate game. There is nothing much to say here.
Not all of it.

Which ironically don't belong to official OST. Anyway, I can agree that BG3's ost is more bland/generic than BG1-2's ones but not by much.
All of this combines to create the impression that BG3 is the most shameless act of necrophilia in video game history. It's not only average on its own, it has to disfigure a much-beloved series in the process.
You final point is what raised my brows and promted me to response. Are you a hardcore BG1-2 fan by chance? It certainly reads so anyway. BG1-2 were pretty good games but for sure not by virtue of counterpoints you've made like the writing or balanced ruleset lmao. Their gameloop was just good enough and so BG3's one even if you don't like it.

Heinrich

Scholar
The game doesn't make me mad, it isn't significant enough for that. What makes me mad is its reception. There are so many other, better games/RPGs out there that deserve it way more, but we all have to kneel at the altar of mediocrity.
"The game isn't significant, I'm just mad that everyone else thinks it's significant (making it significant)."
:lol:

Lacrymas

Arcane
companions don't have any agency in their own (inner) lives
This is a blatant lie. It might seem so if playing it *normally* but there're plenty of instances where they can even attack you like when you tell SH you won't go down after Nightsong. Which was very stupid by the way, why wouldn't she just leave and go there herself instead?
Yes, companions can leave or attack you and then you never see them again, big whoop. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense, Shart leaves you if you don't take her to Shar's realm, but only *after* it's already done. I'm not convinced this is good enough, especially since the major choices characters have to make in their own stories depend on you.
The changes from 5E are almost all for the worse.
Worse in what sense? The goal Larian pursued was to make it less restrictive and most importantly fun in practice. With that I'm suprised they did nothing with the concentration system, otherwise I think they were right. They shouldn't have balanced it around 1% of potential audience which can use mods anyway.
I already said why - it buffs some classes that don't need buffing and nerfs classes that don't need nerfing. It also makes the game significantly easier. Larian don't know better for them to "make it less restrictive and more fun", I'm sorry.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
"The game isn't significant, I'm just mad that everyone else thinks it's significant (making it significant)."
:lol:
Lol yeah the game not being significant is probably the biggest piece of cope I've read so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom