Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

La vie sexuelle

Learned
BG1 had a much worse combat system than Ultima.
ultima 7 had the most ass combat even by 1992 standards. Anyone who says otherwise is a SILLY BILLY

Ow yeah? And you know how you are? DUM-DUM POO-POO!

And by this I mean I win this conversation.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
BG1 had a much worse combat system than Ultima.
ultima 7 had the most ass combat even by 1992 standards. Anyone who says otherwise is a SILLY BILLY

Ow yeah? And you know how you are? DUM-DUM POO-POO!

And by this I mean I win this conversation.
No you don't ELLIOT YOU IDIOT.

Y-y-you win.

wojak-wojak-crying.gif

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The music for Raphaels fight is cringe

Z7HeRxU.png

Disagree. It's a fun and memorable moment. Not everything has to be serious all the time, and it already fits well with Raphael. I've talked to a few people about this moment, and the common reaction seems to be: Oh shit, what have I gotten myself into, he's singing his own boss theme. It's exactly the type of thing I might expect as a highlight to someone's D&D campaign.
But that's typical of Larian and their incongruous writing. Is the entire thing meant to be serious and disturbing or is it a Disney adventure?

And when they try to be serious they come up with shit like Netherbrain.
Disney adventures *are* seriously disturbing now.

Desiderius

Patron
Here's an actual problem with this game - if you decide to outsmart the plot, the game says: "Fuck you, stick to the rails". Very atypical for Larian.

Wait a minute. Is Mizora troon gigachad?

Hagashager

Educated
San Francisco is the single most Liberal city in the US. The people who live there are either 3rd World-Poverty Stricken, or they're so unbelievably wealthy that they metaphorically and literally live miles above their policy decisions.

Dictators like Putin and Xi Jing Ping, hell, Joe Biden and Donald Trump are more "Mature" than the people of GDC in San Fran.

VerSacrum

Educated
San Francisco is the single most Liberal city in the US. The people who live there are either 3rd World-Poverty Stricken, or they're so unbelievably wealthy that they metaphorically and literally live miles above their policy decisions.

Dictators like Putin and Xi Jing Ping, hell, Joe Biden and Donald Trump are more "Mature" than the people of GDC in San Fran.
I've been dragged to such a convention in Leipzig once back in '08 and it wasn't any less of a cringefest, hated nearly every minute of it

Only cool thing was being able to check out X3 Terran Conflict before release

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Anything revolves around emperor makes no sense and full of plot holes, another reason why act 3 is so awful.

Maybe I was just too much of an idiot to pick up on clues and foreshadowing, if there were any, but
the Emperor actually being Balduran
was by far the dumbest and most cringeworthy thing about him, because it just came out of nowhere and didn't really serve any narrative purpose other than being a "shocking" revelation just for the sake of being a "shocking" revelation.

It's so fucking dumb and bizarre I think Larian should face legal repercussions for writing this shit. I have no fucking words for it.

There is some "foreshadowing" about it though. And by "foreshadowing" I mean it's pretty much fucking spelled outrgight in "Song of Balduran" that plays in the tavern resting area.
He also mentions a butter knife when you visit his hideout. And Emperor's sword is pretty much just Balduran's sword. That's some cute references wasted on probably the dumbest "shocking reveal" I've seen in fiction.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anything revolves around emperor makes no sense and full of plot holes, another reason why act 3 is so awful.

Maybe I was just too much of an idiot to pick up on clues and foreshadowing, if there were any, but
the Emperor actually being Balduran
was by far the dumbest and most cringeworthy thing about him, because it just came out of nowhere and didn't really serve any narrative purpose other than being a "shocking" revelation just for the sake of being a "shocking" revelation.

It's so fucking dumb and bizarre I think Larian should face legal repercussions for writing this shit. I have no fucking words for it.

There is some "foreshadowing" about it though. And by "foreshadowing" I mean it's pretty much fucking spelled outrgight in "Song of Balduran" that plays in the tavern resting area.
He also mentions a butter knife when you visit his hideout. And Emperor's sword is pretty much just Balduran's sword. That's some cute references wasted on probably the dumbest "shocking reveal" I've seen in fiction.
I also laughed at how game doesn’t allow you to stray off the rails when dealing with this Emperor. During you first encountering him in his disguise there’s basically this dialog:
— if you don’t trust me you can kill me, heres sword no do it stab me in the heart
— ok lol (attempts to stab)
— LISTEN YOU DIMWIT
Which is basically another dramatic nothingburger with zero impact on anything

ferratilis

Magister
In this interview he says that their development process since DOS2 consists of releasing the first act of the game in early access, then making things up as they go, based on players' feedback. Now it makes sense why their games feel so disjointed and shitty as you move away from that first act. This strategy sucks, you can't make something good without a singular vision imo. I hope they change their approach for the next title.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
If Larian is stepping aside from developing more content for the game that means the sex framework mod is the major gameplay overhaul this will ever get, right?

Desiderius

Patron
In this interview he says that their development process since DOS2 consists of releasing the first act of the game in early access, then making things up as they go, based on players' feedback. Now it makes sense why their games feel so disjointed and shitty as you move away from that first act. This strategy sucks, you can't make something good without a singular vision imo. I hope they change their approach for the next title.

They make all that money Swen doesn’t care about in the first act.

ColonelMace

Novice

There's no reason they would change this approach. Good news remains that their Divinity setting is whacky and zany enough for this unorthodox method of game design not to inevitably botcher anything of value.
It does shed some apocalyptic light on what the fuck happened with BGIII's act 3.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

It wouldn't be such a bad idea if they didn't focus so much on mysteries and events that happened before the start of the game. Imagine a detective story. It's wouldn't hurt if creators changed what the criminal does to elude the detective, and for example decided to make him act more violent due to popular demand. But only a moron would fiddle with who the killer is and how did he murder the original victim. Japanese have these Taiga Drama TV series. They are historical TV shows about important figures and such. They write the first half and then during the airing they adjust scripts for the second part based on the feedback. But since it's actual history they can't change backstory or ending halfway through. But they can emphasize or downplay certain characters or alter the focus of the show. I doubt if BG 3 would be any better if they just wrote the game normally.

FA7

Educated

Except the first act is your generic forest location with local fauna, it is also disjointed and doesn't follow narration that was introduced in prologue. Big aircraft crash would be an event to be talked by every intelligent being in a wide radius (who? why? is it dangerous? do I have duty to investigate? can I get something out of it? etc. those would be questions asked by every individual and organization aware of it), compare it to arcanum where you can tell about crash to nearly every character in next village, newspaper in Tarrant writes about it and there's direct follow up. Now in baldur's gate 3 there's zero fucks given. No mention of it in druid village, no mention by goblins etc. (only npcs that barely do is party in front of crypt, but they're complete morons so player doesn't receive any background information). And consider it's not a mere zeppelin but a huge alien aircraft of one of the most feared and mysterious races known to man. This lack of grip is there precisely because they made generic forest first, and then needed to somehow stitch rest of the shit. So yeah completely agree with: "can't make something good without singular vision" but idk if listening to players feedback is the cause, to me it just seems like a bad excuse.

Old Hans

Arcane
And consider it's not a mere zeppelin but a huge alien aircraft of one of the most feared and mysterious races known to man. This lack of grip is there precisely because they made generic forest first, and then needed to somehow stitch rest of the shit. So yeah completely agree with: "can't make something good without singular vision" but idk if listening to players feedback is the cause, to me it just seems like a bad excuse.
yea the entire first act is all over the place. the entire Northern area bothers me so much with the burning Inn and then like 20 feet over is a githyanki patrol lead by some guy riding a red dragon. its like everyone is living inside their little D&D adventure vignette pocket dimension and have no idea what's going on anywhere else. Except for Karlach who knows exactly what you did at the tiefling grove

ferratilis

Magister
Good point. How many writers does Larian have again? An entire team afaik. And not one of them thought about that lol.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
And consider it's not a mere zeppelin but a huge alien aircraft of one of the most feared and mysterious races known to man. This lack of grip is there precisely because they made generic forest first, and then needed to somehow stitch rest of the shit. So yeah completely agree with: "can't make something good without singular vision" but idk if listening to players feedback is the cause, to me it just seems like a bad excuse.
Except for Karlach who knows exactly what you did at the tiefling grove
Karlach knows because muh tadpole. I guess.
Tadpole is a bit glitchy though, because she think you personally murdered the refugees even if they get thrown out by Druids. And you don't have to interact with refugees for it to happen.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom