Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Yosharian

Arcane
The music for Raphaels fight is cringe

I thought it was one of the few memorably good moments in BG3. It makes sense for the overly flamboyant fiend to sing his own boss song.
Um. No it doesn't. This isn't a theatre play or a musical. It's a video game.

It's retarded.

Efe

Erudite
Its not singing in character so I don't see how musical bit comes from. That argument would work for dragon age 1's church girl song.
Its one of the best returns on of all of that money they spent on VA and even if someone finds it cringe, its not like they get to listen to many times.

Larianshill

Arbiter
The idea that you can raid a devils home at lvl 12 is laughable in and of itself.
The adventure in which the players defeat Tiamat (with help) is a level 15 one. The adventure where the players defeat Zariel is a level 15 one. Acererak gets foiled by level 11 in the Tomb of Annihilation. Please tell me why some random cambion with delusions of grandeur should be a level 20 threat. And inb4 "I don't care about what levels represent in nu-DnD" - if you don't care, why are you here?

Larianshill

Arbiter
Here's an actual problem with this game - if you decide to outsmart the plot, the game says: "Fuck you, stick to the rails". Very atypical for Larian.

Old Hans

Arcane
Act 3, particularly the circus and certain NPCs is where the Larian Humour™ starts showing up despite being mostly absent from previous acts, I do wonder if there was a change in writing staff or something similar because it's very jarring going from the shadow death zombie zone to drag queens and evil clowns in less than an hour.
I felt so bamboozled wasting my time collecting all the body party of the dead clown, expecting some kind of funny pay off, but all I got were a pair of gloves like I just finished some vanilla world of warcraft quest. that entire circus is completely pointless

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The idea that you can raid a devils home at lvl 12 is laughable in and of itself.
The adventure in which the players defeat Tiamat (with help) is a level 15 one. The adventure where the players defeat Zariel is a level 15 one. Acererak gets foiled by level 11 in the Tomb of Annihilation.

Yep. Levels in D&D 5e are vastly different than previous editions.

Monsters lost a lot of immunties, resistances and powerful abilities.

The most iconic example is intellect devourers. In NWN1 OC, he is a miniboss where the player faces them at lv 8~10. In this game, they are a very weak enemy that can be killed in dozens at low levels, no attribute damage, no powerful psionic abilities, no ability to "possess" a body, no 20/+3 DR, no dominate person and invisibility as a 15th level caster(...)

I used to complain about "too epic low level" a lot in BG3, now I realize that things are vastly different in 5e.

And considering how you can use a lot of mindflayer powers and is not limited to 3 atn slots for magical gear, IMO a 12th level char in this game is much stronger than a 14th level in 5e TT.

ColonelMace

Novice
Intellect devourers by strict 5E rules are able to seize ownership of anyone's brain-discarded body. You're right on everything else though.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Please tell me why some random cambion with delusions of grandeur should be a level 20 threat.

I dunno if he qualifies as a level 20 threat or not, but "some random cambion" he is definitely not. His dad is the 2nd most powerful Archdevil in all the Nine Hells, after all. :M

IIRC he has more HP (haha 666 funni) than an avatar of Tiamat, a CR 30 creature.

HP isn't everything, but the level 12s in BG3 can wipe the floor with level 12s in tabletop.

Larianshill

Arbiter
IIRC he has more HP (haha 666 funni) than an avatar of Tiamat, a CR 30 creature.
That just makes for a better video game. Victor kept talking about HP bloat back in the day, but tabletop-realistic BG3 just would be less fun. A lucky and properly prepared Curse of Strahd party can nuke Strahd on level 7 in seconds, if he's not cautious to the point of coming off as a bitch. I expect my video game boss fights to last a little bit more than a round or two.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
HP bloat back in the day, but tabletop-realistic BG3 just would be less fun. A lucky and properly prepared Curse of Strahd party can nuke Strahd on level 7 in seconds, if he's not cautious to the point of coming off as a bitch. I expect my video game boss fights to last a little bit more than a round or two.

Not truth.

Strahd should be a terrifying enemy due having a lot of resistances, immunities and being extremely smart and cautious. Unless the party manages to find his weaknesses and elaborates a good plan, they should have little to no chance. You don't need to give billions of hp to make an enemy have a lot of survivability.

Vecna in AD&D was near impossible to be killed even for an epic level party, he had 150 hp. But he could't be damaged by weapons bellow +5, a lot of immunities and resistances, -10 AC, saves of 4, 70% MR and even if the party ascended into Godhood, they could't get rid completely of his MR, by merely beinh close to him expose you to his aura. Any character bellow lv 13 suffer madness/horror/fear and chars lv 13 to 17 had to do a save every round. Only at lv 18+ you could be in his presence safely. He can cast any priest or wizard spell with a caster level of 30 and zero casting time, not mentioning regeneration and other stuff.

That is how a evil powerful enemy should be. Very hard to inflict ANY damage. Not a bullet sponge.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That is how a evil powerful enemy should be. Very hard to inflict ANY damage. Not a bullet sponge.

Every evil wizard boss fight should be some kind of simulacrum cheese where the fight's basically impossible, if you somehow win you still lose, and the wizard wasn't even physically there in the first place.

Having a wizard pew pew you in-person is just catering to players.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Every evil wizard boss fight should be some kind of simulacrum cheese where the fight's basically impossible, if you somehow win you still lose, and the wizard wasn't even physically there in the first place.

Even if you kill the simulacrum and infiltrate his "lair", this should't be easy. IMO the best high level enemy boss fiht in a D&D game is Sodalis, he is a epic level vampire wizard and has two digit hp yet : I googled Sodalis nwn1 and the first result is from a guy that can't kill him with cheats :

https://af.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/hotu_sodalis_what_a_guy?as=1649904300
The second link is another guy who could't defeat him
https://sorcerers.net/community/threads/hotu-how-to-beat-soldaris.12450/

Vh0VdQL.png

He uses lots of summons stop time, powerful disjunction, his lair is full of traps and he is protected by a lot of powerful magical gear and etc. Not mentioning, as a vampire, if defeated he assumes gaseous form and flees to his coffin

That's cheese, I'm talking about normal people who aren't insane optimizers. Just laymen.

Yep. But did you fought in any video game or tabletop, a low hp but with a lot protections well programmed/played by the DM enemy?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The more protected a casterfaggot is from conventional damage, the more likely is he to die an undignified death- like choking on food, explosives in the latrine that blow up bombs while he's dropping them, slipping on banana peels, getting friendzoned, etc. After all, you'll be incentivizing your opponents to play dirty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom