Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I remember when muscle wizard was the silliest thing around.

Pact of the Blade is decidedly not a muscle-wizard. Strength is literally its most useless stat.

Also, muscle-wizard has been a thing since 1981 when the gish were invented. It's literally the word we ended up using for the hybrid throughout all editions.

By "muscle wizard" I meant having strength affect spellcasting

I don't think there's anything to that effect in BG3

Yes, my point is that it has something sillier.

I understood that, I was just making it clear that there are no muscle-wizards to the best of my knowledge.
Hence, you save three skill proficiencies to put in stuff like Perception and flavor skills.
What else would a Bard take though 0_o

Almost every single Bard build I've read recommends taking proficiency in speech skills, and that's also what common logic would dictate. From my EA-testing, I believe this would be just about the most inefficient way to use your skill proficiencies on a bard.
Yes I got that part Grunk, my question is what other skills would you take instead

Perception was ultrauseful in my testing. You can cover all the flavor-skills. It's easier to pick up one of the two essential combat skills (Acro or Athle). Heck, why not do Stealth? The entire goal was to basically cover all skills checks :-D
Yeah Perception is obvious.

From what I've read, Acrobatics is more or less useless. Athletics has some checks but that's hardly the domain of a caster - the fighter types will have that covered.

Stealth - fine I guess.

Useless? Shoving has been a huge factor in many fights for me, and Acrobatics allows you to resist it. Athletics obviously as well, but Acrobatics is better if you don’t have Strength

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
they'll properly restrict access to camping/rests, so that *eyes crossed, foam spewing from mouth at this point* casters aren't in such an advantageous position all the time.

2nd/3E-reflex? Casters aren't really advantaged in 5E even with full spell slots.

Barbarian

Arcane
Questions for those who actually played the EA:

Do Drow get "Keen Senses" in this game? I found conflicting info. Apparently no daylight penalty for the race as well(tadpole being the excuse).

What is the point of picking between "lolth-sworn" and "seldarine"? Does it have any consequence in-game? Apparently drow is the race with most unique interactions in game, but I found no such detail.

Also how important is Perception as a skill? The gay vampire rogue is apparently the only companion who gets it and he is low wisdom. In bugfinder it was pretty much mandatory to have someone with high perception in the party.

jackofshadows

Magister
Questions for those who actually played the EA:

Do Drow get "Keen Senses" in this game? I found conflicting info. Apparently no daylight penalty for the race as well(tadpole being the excuse).
They do. No penalty, yeah so I assume the same will be for duergars.
What is the point of picking between "lolth-sworn" and "seldarine"? Does it have any consequence in-game? Apparently drow is the race with most unique interactions in game, but I found no such detail.
So far I've seen a few reactions on being a lolth-sworn drow and not just any therefore assume there will be for seldarine especially since they're not so say evil ones.
Also how important is Perception as a skill? The gay vampire rogue is apparently the only companion who gets it and he is low wisdom. In bugfinder it was pretty much mandatory to have someone with high perception in the party.
It's important, there're lots of perception checks but note that you're making these checks by every party member so you have minimum 4 attempts and with this system you don't actually need proficiency at that barring for some really high ones. Moreover, sometimes you can figure out workarounds so it's not mandatory in general. Just nice to have.

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm not sure of the significance of the choice. If you pick "Lolth-sworn" does that mean you are forced into being a literal Lolth worshipper? Or is that just regarding your origin(i.e: a drow born and raised into drow society)?

It would make more sense to just pick "drow" and make this binary choice optional. Drizzt and Jarlaxle(the most iconic drow characters) for instance don't fit into neither category. None of them are Lolth worshippers and none of them worship the surface elf pantheon.

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm not sure of the significance of the choice. If you pick "Lolth-sworn" does that mean you are forced into being a literal Lolth worshipper? Or is that just regarding your origin(i.e: a drow born and raised into drow society)?

It would make more sense to just pick "drow" and make this binary choice optional. Drizzt and Jarlaxle(the most iconic drow characters) for instance don't fit into neither category. None of them are Lolth worshippers and none of them worship the surface elf pantheon.
I agree but for what it's worth, you can always ignore your own background (say again, Lolth or the fact you're Baldurian) and choose some other reply. I mean yes they rocognize that you're a drow - but not beyond that (aside from other plot-related buisiness I imagine you aren't familiar with yet). Not to mention in this game you can be a lolth-sworn paladin etc etc. Race choice and origin gives you options and then it's all up to you what to do with them. Their principle is to restrict as less as possible, which is imo way too unduly approach but it is what it is.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I agree but for what it's worth, you can always ignore your own background (say again, Lolth or the fact you're Baldurian) and choose some other reply. I mean yes they're rocognize that you're a drow - but not beyond that right (aside from other plot-related buisiness I imagine you aren't familiar with yet). Not to mention in this game you can be a lolth-sworn paladin etc etc. Race choice and origin gives you options and then it's all up to you what to do with them. Their principle is to restrict as less as possible, which is imo way too unduly approach but it is what it is.

Game gives you the possibility to role-play. If you pick Lolth Drow and you play as Minsc-like character is only your choice/fault.

notpl

Arbiter
It is really, really funny how easy it is to completely break some people's brains.

Barbarian

Arcane
Half-Drow Dark Urge who is actually the son of Viconia and Abdel Adrian.

:troll:

On topic the new leaked changes to humans and half-elves are absolutely shit. Now that every single race will get +2 and +1 there is no single reason to pick them mechanics wise. The avented + 20 carry and polearm and shield proficiency makes no sense.

Saravan

Savant
Half-Drow Dark Urge who is actually the son of Viconia and Abdel Adrian.

:troll:

On topic the new leaked changes to humans and half-elves are absolutely shit. Now that every single race will get +2 and +1 there is no single reason to pick them mechanics wise. The avented + 20 carry and polearm and shield proficiency makes no sense.
Yeah it’s retarded and I don’t know if it’s Larian’s homebrew fuckery or WotC wanting to push in 5.5e playtest version, but I’m also sure the variant human and racial ASI mods will be updated to release version almost immediately.

Barbarian

Arcane
A question about skills in 5e and this game in particular.

I have seem that only your currently selected character rolls during dialogue - i.e: if you are a barbarian with a wizard in your party and an intelligence check pops up, the barbarian rolls it instead of the high intelligence wizard.

My question is wether or not the checks and dialogue options only appear for skills you are proficient with. I.e: the barbarian in question wouldn't actually be able to try the arcana roll because the dialogue option wouldn't appear.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I have seem that only your currently selected character rolls during dialogue - i.e: if you are a barbarian with a wizard in your party and an intelligence check pops up, the barbarian rolls it instead of the high intelligence wizard.

My question is wether or not the checks and dialogue options only appear for skills you are proficient with. I.e: the barbarian in question wouldn't actually be able to try the arcana roll because the dialogue option wouldn't appear.

Proficiency is solely a bonus to the roll. Any character can attempt any roll.

Barbarian

Arcane

Alright, and said roll will always be available? Say a "religion" or "arcana" option during dialogue will be available to a rogue or barbarian who has no proficiency in said skills.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Alright, and said roll will always be available? Say a "religion" or "arcana" option during dialogue will be available to a rogue or barbarian who has no proficiency in said skills.

Yes, proficiency just means you add your Proficiency modifier to that skill.

jackofshadows

Magister

Another vid from that nerd, watching it right now.

Grunker I've tried out Cutting Words a little, it's implemented in the same fashion: you see the rolls and can make the desicion every time - for example I was able to fail the owlbear's save for Faerie Fire which otherwise would be neglected and every time there's an incoming attak you can lower its attack roll. Sadly though it's all working for weapon attacks, same for Combat Inspiration damage by the way and not the spells. Still, it's amazing and according to a guide since 5 lvl inspirations are refreshing on a short rest!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Another vid from that nerd, watching it right now.

Grunker I've tried out Cutting Words a little, it's implemented in the same fashion: you see the rolls and can make the desicion every time - for example I was able to fail the owlbear's save for Faerie Fire which otherwise would be neglected and every time there's an incoming attak you can lower its attack roll. Sadly though it's all working for weapon attacks, same for Combat Inspiration damage by the way and not the spells. Still, it's amazing and according to a guide since 5 lvl inspirations are refreshing on a short rest!

Aweome news. Thanks Jack :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom