Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane

Another vid from that nerd, watching it right now.

Grunker I've tried out Cutting Words a little, it's implemented in the same fashion: you see the rolls and can make the desicion every time - for example I was able to fail the owlbear's save for Faerie Fire which otherwise would be neglected and every time there's an incoming attak you can lower its attack roll. Sadly though it's all working for weapon attacks, same for Combat Inspiration damage by the way and not the spells. Still, it's amazing and according to a guide since 5 lvl inspirations are refreshing on a short rest!

OOh this is juicy.

Can you explain what you mean with regards to Bardic Inspiration because your description of Cutting Words sounds exactly how Grunker already said it worked

jackofshadows

Magister
Can you explain what you mean with regards to Bardic Inspiration because your description of Cutting Words sounds exactly how Grunker already said it worked
Well, that's because Cutting Words is sort of an additional variant of Bardic Inspirations feature. The charges for use are shared between them. Which makes CW much less valuable since Bardic Inspiration is extremely useful by itself. Still, when the charges can be restored on a short rest and if Larian will fix (or change?) for it to be equal charisma bonus and not always 3 as it is right now it might be worth it. Like for some potent control spell not to fail for instance.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Grunker I've tried out Cutting Words a little, it's implemented in the same fashion: you see the rolls and can make the desicion every time - for example I was able to fail the owlbear's save for Faerie Fire which otherwise would be neglected and every time there's an incoming attak you can lower its attack roll. Sadly though it's all working for weapon attacks, same for Combat Inspiration damage by the way and not the spells. Still, it's amazing and according to a guide since 5 lvl inspirations are refreshing on a short rest!

OOh this is juicy.

No, I thought it only worked like that with saving throws. Jack is saying it also works like that with attack rolls and checks it sounds like

Barbarian

Arcane
So shield is confirmed? Very strong spell, specially if compatible with sorcerer extend metamagic. Let's see how they balance it.

What about the new feats? The ones implemented so far are quite retarded and most players take the ASI at 4th level.

Yosharian

Arcane

OOh this is juicy.

No, I thought it only worked like that with saving throws. Jack is saying it also works like that with attack rolls and checks it sounds like

But you said that Bardic Inspiration has to be chosen before seeing the result of a dice roll

Barbarian

Arcane
Elemental adept for storm sorcerer? Lightning or thunder?

Btw storm sorcerer is the default class for dark urge. They must like the kit and have worked well on it.

jackofshadows

Magister
EDAA53D767E36B5EA96892BAA5FE9B5AAD9AB1B4

Yes and it also should work with damage dealt except it doesn't seem to work right now.
But you said that Bardic Inspiration has to be chosen before seeing the result of a dice roll
See this screen on how it works.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Btw storm sorcerer is the default class for dark urge. They must like the kit and have worked well on it.
When I browsed through all spells that were announced lightning had more big dmg spells than thunder
elemental adept hard to say yet is it worth it depends on immunities which we dont know yet

alert is something I want for every character + ASI so that results into 0-1 other feats for casters to choose from

Barbarian

Arcane
Apparently "haunted one" background(which you are stuck with when playing dark urge) gives you arcana and medicine proficiency.

I understand arcana(specially with sorcerer being its default class), but I'm curious on why medicine.

Barbarian

Arcane

When I browsed through all spells that were announced lightning had more big dmg spells than thunder
elemental adept hard to say yet is it worth it depends on immunities which we dont know yet

alert is something I want for every character + ASI so that leaves 0-1 feats for casters to choose from

3 feats at 12th level cap - really makes your choices limited.

For my planned build it would be Alert + Elemental Adept + ASI or War Caster.

I wonder if foregoing ASI for War CAster would be that bad. Or maybe foregoing Alert(despite it being so good). For roleplay I want a storm sorcerer who is actually a storm sorcerer(pew pew lightning and thunder spells almost exclusively).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there even a reason to think about how to build a monk at this period in time?

It know too little to even bother for now.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is there even a reason to think about how to build a monk at this period in time?

It know too little to even bother for now.
I think is better to wait the full release classes in bg3 have subclasses that make for a class do different things.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yeah its hard to say yet according to fshittylife any weapon which you have proficiency with is considered monk weapon so if thats true it changes quite a lot of stuff

anyway since Im retarded I theorycrafted my party a little bit

Charname lore bard 11 / 1 life/knowledge cleric
skillmonkey + support
dip gives: guidance, medium/heavy armor and shield profiency, better heals or 2 x proficiency
alert + lucky/metamagic adept/ASI depending on perma attribute increasing consumables

Minthara vengenace pala 9 / 3 battle master fighter
3rd level spells unlock at 9 haste/revive looks tempting + higher smites if needed
dip gives: action surge + battle master stuff looks about the best dip there is
alert + ASI

Shadowheart 12 storm sorcerer or divination/abjuration wizard fuck immersion since I got a bard already don't want to go cleric
wizard: alert + ASI + war caster/metamagic adept if available
sorcerer: alert + ASI + elemental adept
probably wizard since I got 2 charisma heavy characters

frog lady 12 battle master fighter (flexible slot)
ASI + polearm master + sentinel + great weapon master/alert

kinda went heavy for skillchecks with charname since I dislike savescumming

Barbarian

Arcane
Assassin is probably the thematically appropriate class for Dark Urge. Even the unique origin items seem to be assassin themed("Deathstalker" cloak).

Seems like a somewhat shitty class though. This is the only feature you get:

• Assassinate: Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

It is nice, but seems underhanded compared to the other rogue kits.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

OOh this is juicy.

Yes, and like I said in the tips thread, this was because I tested it on the Nautiloid where you can’t edit reactions. So I was mistaken

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Assassin is probably the thematically appropriate class for Dark Urge. Even the unique origin items seem to be assassin themed("Deathstalker" cloak).

• Assassinate: Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

It’s shit in P&P as well, but content creators seem to have a good amount of success combining it with Gloomstalker for bonkers opening rounds

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
yeah its hard to say yet according to fshittylife any weapon which you have proficiency with is considered monk weapon so if thats true it changes quite a lot of stuff

anyway since Im retarded I theorycrafted my party a little bit

Charname lore bard 11 / 1 life/knowledge cleric
skillmonkey + support
dip gives: guidance, medium/heavy armor and shield profiency, better heals or 2 x proficiency
alert + lucky/metamagic adept/ASI depending on perma attribute increasing consumables

Minthara vengenace pala 9 / 3 battle master fighter
3rd level spells unlock at 9 haste/revive looks tempting + higher smites if needed
dip gives: action surge + battle master stuff looks about the best dip there is
alert + ASI

Shadowheart 12 storm sorcerer or divination/abjuration wizard fuck immersion since I got a bard already don't want to go cleric
wizard: alert + ASI + war caster/metamagic adept if available
sorcerer: alert + ASI + elemental adept
probably wizard since I got 2 charisma heavy characters

frog lady 12 battle master fighter (flexible slot)
ASI + polearm master + sentinel + great weapon master/alert

kinda went heavy for skillchecks with charname since I dislike savescumming

You could get Guidance with magical secrets, no? The expertise is certainly cool though

I will be playig Lore Bard as well and am considering dips. Warlock 3 seems an obvious one as well

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Shadow Monk also seems thematic to me.
The monk theme for discipline, fighting (or embracing), inner search, etc, with the Urge. Its a "solo" viable class. It has stealth and shadow themes. You are a butcher, killing people with your own hands. Acrobatics and parkour in the city. And going stealthy after a kill seems mechanically great for a monk, as per the item you showed.
Also there's no monk companion. There is a rogue in the party already.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I will be playig Lore Bard as well and am considering dips. Warlock 3 seems an obvious one as well
Pact of the Blade, and then a melee bard?
REMINDER that the AI, at least in the Early Access version, prioritizes targets with lower AC. So if you are in melee range, with low AC, you might get nuked frequently.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
REMINDER that the AI, at least in the Early Access version, prioritizes targets with lower AC. So if you are in melee range, with low AC, you might get nuked frequently.

If you go Blade you might as well go Valour or Sword

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If you go Blade you might as well go Valour or Sword

I am having a crisis of confidence here, I don't know what to play:stunned:
Split between Wyll as a Blade Pact Warlock, a redemption story for him; Astarion as a straight forward self interested hedonist and womanizer; or Dark Urge as a genocidal power hungry serial killer.
I'll probably be doing a straight forward good adventurer campaign as co-op with normie friends who can't do no evil, so my first run will be to see the other side. But also I want to explore as much as possible of the story, and the companions, so I am not sure I want to kill/piss them off.
And I want to roleplay as much character, so if I will be siding with the Drow and the goblins of the Absolute, I want some narrative reason to do so.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
No shot I’m not dark urge after just finish the Bhaalspawn trilogy
But I want to see the companions :negative:
And if I play a more tame DU, then I will want to play DU again as a lone wolf. Am I going to corner myself into replaying this game 5+ times? Oblivion with Spaceships is also coming out soon.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No shot I’m not dark urge after just finish the Bhaalspawn trilogy
But I want to see the companions :negative:
And if I play a more tame DU, then I will want to play DU again as a lone wolf. Am I going to corner myself into replaying this game 5+ times? Oblivion with Spaceships is also coming out soon.

I’m very confident you can play a Dark Urge semi-good play through with companions and everything. Then you go serial killer in a couple of years

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oblivion with Spaceships won’t be worth playing until 10 years after release when there’s a Requiem-like megamod a la Wildlander

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom