Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Barbarian

Arcane
Isn't Dark Urge murder hobo run?

We don’t know for sure, but they’ve strongly hinted that you can play it resisting the urge

It has been somewhat established that originally "tav" was dark urge by default but they changed it because many players would be annoyed of losing control of their character.

Makes sense that they originally planned it to be the standard origin. It is a sequel after all, and it seems this origin is the only thing which really ties in to original games.

There are screenshots of earlier versions of the ea where the tav had the "blood, blood, blood" moments.

I dunno what whydoibother seems so certain of the opposite, but I got the strong vibe that missing a check won’t ever mean you banish a companion, but it does mean that story beats and random scenes will be forced on you.

Truth is none of us know.
There is an interaction at the very beginning where you lose control and kick a esquirrel to death. I think this particular one is to introduce the origin and make it clear that sometimes you will lose control. There is also mention of waking up with corpses at camp and having the option to either hide them from companions or reveal to them what is going on.

Other than that all dark urge interactions shown so far(including some act2 scenes) where entirely optional and had no checks involved. But devs have leaked that there will be "intimidation" checks to resist the urge at some points.

No idea what that means mechanically. Wisdom or charisma checks to resist being intimidated? Or you actually intimidating tophat goblin?

Barbarian

Arcane
Thematically Shadowheart and Wyll seem like good tag alongs for a good DU.

One a brainwashed sharrite the other a warlock trying to escape a pact with a fiend. They seem like they would "understand" your predictment. Both are good character too( not sure about the "total rewrite" for Wyll though).

GAE vampire needs to die. Not sure about the wizard and the gith. Minsc and Jaheira are retarded nostalgia baits.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
SPOILER_zrep9czpnwdb1.jpg

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Who was the retard who designed 5e anyway? Balancing and design are all out of whack. Some of the feats for instance make no sense.

Take "dual wielder" for instance. 1+ to AC when dual wielding. If you are a finesse dual wielder and take ASI +2 dex you get +1 to AC +1 to hit and +1 to damage with main weapon. Most feats are like that, one would only take them for flavor because ASI is just plain better.

Pathfinder and older D&d while having some classes and feats that are utter crap didn't have this situation where most options are actually nonsensical and inefficient.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who was the retard who designed 5e anyway? Balancing and design are all out of whack. Some of the feats for instance make no sense.

Take "dual wielder" for instance. 1+ to AC when dual wielding. If you are a finesse dual wielder and take ASI +2 dex you get +1 to AC +1 to hit and +1 to damage with main weapon. Most feats are like that, one would only take them for flavor because ASI is just plain better.

Pathfinder and older D&d while having some classes and feats that are utter crap didn't have this situation where most options are actually nonsensical and inefficient.

More or less, though attributes are capped at 20, so you hit that pretty quickly even if you're just doing a point buy chargen.

Barbarian

Arcane
For those who played the EA, which skills are actually worth taking? I know you should pick at least one CHA skill(deception, persuasion or intimidation).

Are acrobatics and athletics actually useful in combat?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For those who played the EA, which skills are actually worth taking? I know you should pick at least one CHA skill(deception, persuasion or intimidation).

Are acrobatics and athletics actually useful in combat?

Shoving is excellent and is governed by Athletics.

Acrobatics defends against shoving so is also useful but less so than Ath

Barbarian

Arcane
For a rogue assassin dark urge(which gets arcana and medicine from the "haunted one" background), which 4 proficiencies would you pick?

Stealth, deception, acrobatics and perception? With insight or a second charisma skill possibly taken instead of acrobatics - not sure how worthwhile it is. Do enemies shove often? Is that the only combat utility of the skill?

jackofshadows

Magister
And how would the AI know that I'm concentrating on a spell?

Metagaming DM is bad DM
You mean if you enter combat while already concentrating on some spell? To that I've no idea if AI would react but otherwise there's just comat log for everyone right. Let alone you're holding someone etc.
For those who played the EA, which skills are actually worth taking?
Combat wise like Grunker said - athletics for any melee/support even. Shove is a very useful action. Like that nerd fro youtube I now am throwing enemies in my own aoe spells all the time but even aside this kind if use.

Out of combat - yeah at least 1 speech skill and perception (more loot is always nice).
Stealth, deception, acrobatics and perception? With insight or a second charisma skill possibly taken instead of acrobatics - not sure how worthwhile it is. Do enemies shove often? Is that the only combat utility of the skill?
I think that's an alright list. Enemies do shove so yeah - acrobatics is useful too.

notpl

Arbiter

This is a big misrepresentation of "dual wielder," you're leaving out two of the three effects of the feat. And 5e is designed for minimal stat growth, capped at 20, so in a lengthy campaign there is plenty of room to mix in those seemingly suboptimal feats if you plan to max out the attribute some other way at a different time.

Zeriel

Arcane
Start by learning all the shit Larian has changed from 5e. I can only conclude from these changes that the devs plays casters.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1YEOShhKLfy5-_CE-KGIyUTPHwZICga70/mobilebasic?pli=1
Damn that's useful, thank you!

A guide "How to avoid all romances" could be bery useful and appreciated.
Just be a dick to people. (Works in real life, too!)

My experiences have been the opposite.

Barbarian

Arcane

This is a big misrepresentation of "dual wielder," you're leaving out two of the three effects of the feat. And 5e is designed for minimal stat growth, capped at 20, so in a lengthy campaign there is plenty of room to mix in those seemingly suboptimal feats if you plan to max out the attribute some other way at a different time.
Dual wield non light weapons... which is useless for rogue. And? There is a 3rd effect?

Incendax

Augur
I wonder - if Dark Urge is model Absolute route or it should be played separately?
I think Swen said Dark Urge used to be the default protagonist, but testers complained he's too evil. So I imagine DU is much more tied to the main plot.
And apparently Act 2 is much darker than Act 1 too.
The implication is that Dark Urge was the original default character with ties to Bhaal / You're a Bhaalspawn.
I'm curious about them detaching it, because it leaves the question of who is Bhaalspawn up in the air. Certainly BG1-2 was capable of neutral or good Bhaalspawn, but with Dark Urge being the Bhaalspawn... is the default character still a Bhaalspawn also? Or are they something else / nothing?

Multiple Bhaalspawn is nothing new for the BG franchise, but the whole point of Throne of Bhaal is killing off all of them. Except that one weird loner that showed up later in that novel.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I wonder - if Dark Urge is model Absolute route or it should be played separately?
I think Swen said Dark Urge used to be the default protagonist, but testers complained he's too evil. So I imagine DU is much more tied to the main plot.

The implication is that Dark Urge was the original default character with ties to Bhaal / You're a Bhaalspawn.
I'm curious about them detaching it, because it leaves the question of who is Bhaalspawn up in the air. Certainly BG1-2 was capable of neutral or good Bhaalspawn, but with Dark Urge being the Bhaalspawn... is the default character still a Bhaalspawn also? Or are they something else / nothing?

Yes, you have right. It has a lot o sense if we seeing things from this angle.

BTW - playtesters are morons.

Barbarian

Arcane

ITT, they are braving the path David GAYder didn't dare brave. Original trilogy you had all this flavor text and cutscenes with "woe is me, my dark origin and my murderous nature!" but then proceeded to play the game as a good natured and innocent goody two shoes monastery boy if you so desired.

Having bouts of out of control violence and being naturally inclined to murder is what makes sense for a bhaalspawn or whatever this origin is supposed to be(maybe bhaal himself). We are talking about the evil god of murder after all.

What I'm curious about is how capable you will be of controlling it or directing it. The usual rpg protagonist, good or bad, murders a lot of people.... if you can direct your violence at bad guys that woud be one way to roleplay it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom