Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane
some1 mentioned that wizard dip got nerfed is this true? cant check now but hope its correct
Yes but you can still learn all the spells then respec back and they remain

But yeah the easy exploit is fixed

Haste is still ridiculous though so let's not get ahead of ourselves

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
casters in particular, are just a bit shit until level 5 and 6

wizard gameplay seems straightforward

What seems straightforward is that you suck and haven't figured it out yet.

When you learn how to suck less you'll be a little embarrassed but that will be offset by a sense of accomplishment.

Yosharian

Arcane
Somebody realised that by exploiting this and the item Helmet of Arcane Acuity, which boosts your spell DC by 1 every time you damage an enemy, you can gain ridiculous amounts of spell DC
You don't need a special flourish ability to break the game using that helm. That helmet is the most overpowered item in the game. My war cleric had around +10-15 DC by round 2 of the
raphael
fight without even trying to boost it. Was then able to cast hideous laughter on the boss with 100% success chance and he was permanently cc'd. Deafeated the toughest boss in the game with a level 1 spell.
Yeah it's actually insanely powerful just by attacking normally lmao

Desiderius

Patron
#5: Minor illusion is genuinely the best skill in the game. Distract, reposition, turn based, buff, enter combat, it's by far the best ability IMO.

I enjoy this kind of tactical gameplay but have found MI kind of underwhelming even with the sequence you're describing. For pilfering it tends to raise attention which is the last thing you want and same is often the case for combat set up.

There's a Poison Beast in Wizards and Warriors type situation where you're in TB but the rest of the world stays in RT in some cases. I do use TB for pick-pocketing but haven't been able to get much use out of Minor Illusion there. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Illusionist Wizard gets Minor Illusion as Bonus Action but for some reason that one triggers an investigation check, which can turn opponents to look momentarily. We were talking about how to exploit that in combat upthread. How exactly do you take advantage on it?

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

When you learn how to suck less you'll be a little embarrassed but that will be offset by a sense of accomplishment.
When is this clown going to admit the game is piss easy and all you need is to employ the most basic strategies to win. Enough with the posing already.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Quick hint request. I'm currently at Shar's temple. Entered via Reithwin's Grand Mausoleum.

Should I try to avoid triggering combat between Balthazar's undead and the Justiciars? Is it possible to be on the Justiciars' side in this combat?

Just tell me if triggering the combat is inevitable. I tried opening with a fireball, but this still resulted in combat starting, though skipping the conversation, and even though I killed two of the skelletons, they were again neutral to me, while the justiciars were hostile.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Quick hint request. I'm currently at Shar's temple. Entered via Reithwin's Grand Mausoleum.

Should I try to avoid triggering combat between Balthazar's undead and the Justiciars? Is it possible to be on the Justiciars' side in this combat?

Just tell me if triggering the combat is inevitable. I tried opening with a fireball, but this still resulted in combat starting, though skipping the conversation, and even though I killed two of the skelletons, they were again neutral to me, while the justiciars were hostile.
Justicars are just guardians of the temple that attacking everything.
You can technically kill Balthazar here if you want.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Justicars are just guardians of the temple that attacking everything.
You can technically kill Balthazar here if you want.
Aha, so I can also meet him someplace else. Ok, no need to know :)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
whats the str treshold to throw full sized humanoid? I know that with 18 I can do it with goblins and dwarves.

Desiderius

Patron

When is this clown going to admit the game is piss easy and all you need is to employ the most basic strategies to win. Enough with the posing already.
When you put away the holy reload button.

PapaPetro

whats the str treshold to throw full sized humanoid? I know that with 18 I can do it with goblins and dwarves.
qB4sx0P.gif

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Nigga please, I had to reload two fights. One was Grymforge because I didn't get the mechanics immediately (was a good encounter btw) and the second one was hag, because you guessed it, I wasn't lvl 5 yet. That's it. With alert feat you will never get surprised and pretty much guaranteed start first to take out all the immediate threats.

Why are you still talking about difficulty curve when you haven't even finished druid grove? Stop the clown act, you are just extrapolating irrelevant conclusions based on other games or something because it certainly isn't based on BG3.

Desiderius

Patron
As for Minor Illusion out of combat yeah having TB on helps. I am idiot.

In combat is interesting. I’m used to using Stealth at range on Umbral Stalker and Astarion (who both get Hide as Bonus) where sight cones usually don’t matter but getting free Advantage in melee is something to look into more closely. Thx for tip.

Casters don’t suck early if you play to strengths. For offensive caster that’s attacking weak save or using attack spells and surfaces/explosives since it’s easier to get advantage on those. CON is rarely weak save so Blindness is a trap if you’re not savescumming.

Outside of Guided Bolt (preferably from High Ground/Stealth) it’s unclear that SH best use is offensive casting at all.

Rhobar121

Scholar

In combat is interesting. I’m used to using Stealth at range on Umbral Stalker and Astarion (who both get Hide as Bonus) where sight cones usually don’t matter but getting free Advantage in melee is something to look into more closely. Thx for tip.

Casters don’t suck early if you play to strengths. For offensive caster that’s attacking weak save or using attack spells and surfaces/explosives since it’s easier to get advantage on those. CON is rarely weak save so Blindness is a trap if you’re not savescumming.

Outside of Guided Bolt (preferably from High Ground/Stealth) it’s unclear that SH best use is offensive casting at all.
Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians want to say hello

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

SH best use is spamming spirit guardian upcasted as high as possible because the game is so piss easy you don't even need to use any other party members in Act 2. In fact, you don't even need SH to use any other action but to dash to cover more enemies as they just die or get blinded and die the next turn. You wouldn't know that though because you have barely left the tutorial area and write a bunch of stupid takes like you have any authority.

Rhobar121

Scholar

SH best use is spamming spirit guardian upcasted as high as possible because the game is so piss easy you don't even need to use any other party members in Act 2. In fact, you don't even need SH to use any other action but to dash to cover more enemies as they just die or get blinded and die the next turn. You wouldn't know that though because you have barely left the tutorial area and write a bunch of stupid takes like you have any authority.
To be fair this weapon are just too broken. It's probably on par with some of the best items in bg2.

PapaPetro

Definitely a very solo friendly game.

Desiderius

Patron

Nigga please, I had to reload two fights. One was Grymforge because I didn't get the mechanics immediately (was a good encounter btw) and the second one was hag, because you guessed it, I wasn't lvl 5 yet. That's it. With alert feat you will never get surprised and pretty much guaranteed start first to take out all the immediate threats.

Why are you still talking about difficulty curve when you haven't even finished druid grove? Stop the clown act, you are just extrapolating irrelevant conclusions based on other games or something because it certainly isn't based on BG3.
I have finished Druid Grove. Pretty much done with overground stuff and headed to Underdark, when I respecced into Dungeon Delver on Ranger MC and discovered it isn’t working.

Taking Alert feat is high opportunity cost you wouldn’t have to pay with more resilient/versatile team or if game were as faceroll as you’re claiming.

Haven’t seen a ton that can really punish one-dimensional groups/builds yet but doesn’t take much imagination to figure out what that would look like or to anticipate the devs who brought us D:OS games presenting those kind of challenges mid/late.

So I’m preparing instead of whining about one-dimensional approaches owning things weak to that dimension.

Rhobar121

Scholar

I have finished Druid Grove. Pretty much done with overground stuff and headed to Underdark, when I respecced into Dungeon Delver on Ranger MC and discovered it isn’t working.

Taking Alert feat is high opportunity cost you wouldn’t have to pay with more resilient/versatile team or if game were as faceroll as you’re claiming.

Haven’t seen a ton that can really punish one-dimensional groups/builds yet but doesn’t take much imagination to figure out what that would look like or to anticipate the devs who brought us D:OS games presenting those kind of challenges mid/late.

So I’m preparing instead of whining about one-dimensional approaches owning things weak to that dimension.
I finished the game without saving in combat almost never (I did it maybe once to definitely trigger a conversation on the main character).
The game is actually easy most of the time, the enemies just don't have enough HP. If you want a challenge you have to install the mod.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
since initiative is d4 instead of d20 alert is ridiculously good. no matter what fight your character pretty much always goes first even with dumped dex and first turn pretty much decides every fight.

sure if you want to hide around so you can surprise attack or don't mind loading if you get surprised you can skip it but its such a nice QoL feat.

and yes it is possible to finish the game without it.

I respecced into Dungeon Delver
Taking Alert feat is high opportunity cost
:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom