Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
killing the golem at the forge with level 5 party was quite fun fight

You killed it without using the gimmick?

Although considering how stealth works in this game it shouldn't matter if you're behind them.

There's apparently a sound component to stealth, but as far as I understand the tooltips, using the hide action should prevent NPC from hearing you.

There's a possibility that certain cases might be bugged. I could not lock pick the chest next to the hobgoblin mushroom researcher in the Underdark, despite being hidden, invisible and not in a field of view of anyone - he would see me try it every single time.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
okay took few days break and now planning on doing either solo tactician or ironman tactician
probably ironman since optimal solo would most likely be dark urge and don't want to play it again yet

I would expect act 1 to be the hardest and act 3 the easiest since act 3 you can rush to final boss pretty fast and with dialogues skip some hard battles
act 2 has 1-2 hard battles depending on dialogue check

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The old 3.5 meme of having dips in several classes doesn't apply here.
Sadly, in most cases I have to agree. Been fiddling around for over 100h now, and most times even if you find a decent mix, Larian "homerules" fuck it up like quicken metamagic changed to cost 3 points instead of 2. But there are exceptions; for instance 3 lv rogue/thief gets a "bonus" bonus action which alows to dash and sneak in singe turn, or spam bonus action attacks. Or the hilarious fact that extra attacks from various classes actually stack unlike p&p (so probably they'll fix it).
yeah, berserker with 3lvl thief basically gets extra throw while raging
Does it work ? I think zerk locks you at 1 use of these bonus actions per round. I guess with thief you can rage and then throw immediately but otherwise I think you are locked at only a single use of the zerk bonus action per round.
dont have lvl6 character to test this. From what I can see in the UI I can't execute frenzy throw twice because of being out of bonus actions(while still having proper one). So having 3 lvls of thief would work? Also 2 sneak die, assuming it works with javelins?

there is also a funny interaction with if you go wildheart stalion, since at lvl2 you gain free dash temp hp, without the need to pick eagle heart.

Btw, how does versatile spears and throwing work with shield in hand?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
From what I can see in the UI I can't execute frenzy throw twice because of being out of bonus actions(while still having proper one). So having 3 lvls of thief would work?

Just tested - you can frenzied throw twice.

This makes thief a surprisingly strong option for something like a GWF Fighter. Between Champion and guaranteed crits from other sources it would be fairly easy to trigger two extra attacks per round.

Vasya

Novice
I'm just saying let's not pretend that KM/Wrath are really that difficult, just because smoothbrain console players can't figure out how to kill a swarm
They aren't that difficult. However, if KM/Wrath is a regular children shape sorter toy, then BG3 is a children shape sorter toy with the holes so big that you can put any figure in any hole.
Of course, some people will still shit in the box, eat the figures and complain, that BG3 is too hard.

volklore

Arcane

This makes thief a surprisingly strong option for something like a GWF Fighter. Between Champion and guaranteed crits from other sources it would be fairly easy to trigger two extra attacks per round.
Idk if you're going for thief on a berzerker then I would just go full throwing build and not care about GWM. Just go Tavern Brawler and ASIs. If you're multiclassing a GWM barb into something, I think action surge is a more reliable way to get that extra oomf when you need it. There are other things you can do with bonus action that can be just as devasting as an extra attack.
As far as fighter go it's just completely not worth it. Improved extra attack is way better than getting a second bonus action.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
There are other things you can do with bonus action that can be just as devasting as an extra attack.
nitpicking: frenzied throw is more than just extra attack. Even if you compare throw to throw it deals extra dmg.
Then there are shenanigans like throwing one enemy onto another. And you do it every turn, while action surge is quite limited resource

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Idk if you're going for thief on a berzerker then I would just go full throwing build and not care about GWM. Just go Tavern Brawler and ASIs. If you're multiclassing a GWM barb into something, I think action surge is a more reliable way to get that extra oomf when you need it. There are other things you can do with bonus action that can be just as devasting as an extra attack.
As far as fighter go it's just completely not worth it. Improved extra attack is way better than getting a second bonus action.
Second bonus action with Hide, Dash, and Disengage as Bonus Actions. Fleet fingers gloves gives free Jump with Dash, and I think there’s Boots that give Lightning Charges on Dash (being charged buffs AB/Saves?).

DPS in a vacuum tards wouldn’t get it.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Second bonus action with Hide, Dash, and Disengage as Bonus Actions. Fleet fingers gloves gives free Jump with Dash, and I think there’s Boots that give Lightning Charges on Dash (being charged buffs AB/Saves?).

Honestly, mobility is the last thing you need as a berserker, especially if you have a crusher's ring.

By the way, I just installed tacticion plus and to be honest the fight got better right away.
I slightly modified the values to add +4 to AB and +2 to AC. Together with increasing HP mobs can finally do something before they die.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
There's a cape that creates 2m of fog on a disengage action which blinds everyone in that area. There's also a ring that makes you immune to blind. You are also heavily obscured in fog, which enables a number of obscured buffs, including a spicy crit helmet. I haven't tested that, but I think you should be able to disengage, hide and sneak attack in the same round.

Dunno, seems like you can stack enough synergies here to make this worth more than an improved extra attack.

Desiderius

Patron

Honestly, mobility is the last thing you need as a berserker, especially if you have a crusher's ring.

By the way, I just installed tacticion plus and to be honest the fight got better right away.
I slightly modified the values to add +4 to AB and +2 to AC. Together with increasing HP mobs can finally do something before they die.
Barbs shld blow through some fights. What happens if you fail a CHR save? Just reload?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
oh wait, frienzied throw gives stacking debuff, just like strike. Even though skill does not mention it

Rhobar121

Scholar

Barbs shld blow through some fights. What happens if you fail a CHR save? Just reload?
Even without any multiclass, the barbarian is one of the most broken classes. Attacking with continuous advantage is just broken, especially with resistance

p.s. I have no idea what you meant.

vazha

Arcane
Righto, help out the poor bugger folks. How do I kill the demon chappe at the end of the sphincter ship crashing? Got him to manageable low health, then Handsome Squidward died and two more demondudes showed up.
Halp?
P.s. character is a gnome wizard, got the fugly green woman, emo chick and a brain on two legs with the personality of a labradoor

Rhobar121

Scholar
Righto, help out the poor bugger folks. How do I kill the demon chappe at the end of the sphincter ship crashing? Got him to manageable low health, then Handsome Squidward died and two more demondudes showed up.
Halp?
P.s. character is a gnome wizard, got the fugly green woman, emo chick and a brain on two legs with the personality of a labradoor
Command: Drop and then Protection from Evil and Good on Skalmar.

PapaPetro

Jumping is so satisfying in this game.
Would like to see a jump+shove combo ability, like a flying kick Bruce Lee-style for monks.

vazha

Arcane
Halp?
that will sort out the demon minions too?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Halp?
Nope, pick up your sword and pray to rng jesus that the devil dies fast enough.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I do like the fact that Larian have decided to make it so that the somewhat boring and stolid 5e rules can be spiced up by bits and sets of gear. That's definitely in the BG tradition, and the CRPG tradition generally - being able to build around oddities you find. Much as I actually like the PoE games, that's the one thing Sawyer definitely got wrong. Balance is good, sure, but a fair bit of the fun in these games is figuring out some weird OP combination from gear + build combo. The pleasure of discovery and the pleasure of figuring out how to make an awesomebutton out of what you discover.

notpl

Arbiter
So Swords Bard has a flourish ability which allows the player to target two enemies and hit them both by expending a bardic inspiration die.

However in BG3 you can just target the same monster repeatedly

Somebody realised that by exploiting this and the item Helmet of Arcane Acuity, which boosts your spell DC by 1 every time you damage an enemy, you can gain ridiculous amounts of spell DC

Then you use the Band of the Mystic Scoundrel to cast Hold Monster with a bonus action, and boom any target in the whole game (that isn't immune to paralyze anyway) is instantly paralyzed and will start getting critted to oblivion, and they can't escape because the spell DC has reached 20 billion from all the flourish spam
This isn't true, not sure where you got the information. College of Swords bard's flourish is a melee AoE, like Cleave, it doesn't let you hit the same enemy multiple times.

Desiderius

Patron
I have no idea what you meant.

Obviously

Killing stuff that's weak to physical damage (and some stuff that isn't) is not all that hard, nor is generating advantage for your attacks - that's something every party can accomplish - SH can Channel her Divinity into AoE advantage. There's nothing broken about that. Phys resist is also pretty common, Tiefling guy has gloves that give it on getting healed, or SH can just put a Ward on.

What do you do against things that attack your mental saves? Doesn't mean the class is weak either, it's a blast, but the word broken is way overused. If killing stuff is breaking your game try cutting down on reloads and taking/using some of the abilities that can prevent them.

I do like the fact that Larian have decided to make it so that the somewhat boring and stolid 5e rules can be spiced up by bits and sets of gear. That's definitely in the BG tradition, and the CRPG tradition generally - being able to build around oddities you find. Much as I actually like the PoE games, that's the one thing Sawyer definitely got wrong. Balance is good, sure, but a fair bit of the fun in these games is figuring out some weird OP combination from gear + build combo. The pleasure of discovery and the pleasure of figuring out how to make an awesomebutton out of what you discover.

There are plenty of those in the PoE games*, there's just not memes that trivialize the game with everything else being a waste unless you work really hard at it and need to because you're doing some insane challenge.

* - Arcane Archer Wizard can use Ranger side to jack up spell accuracy for crits and ability rank ups you don't need as caster to get pet fully operational. Use spell bow attax as extra casts so can use other casts for buffs.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Halp?
Nope, pick up your sword and pray to rng jesus that the devil dies fast enough.

Depends on MC if that's even going to be a thing - takes some work on Tactician since you can make a big explosion but they're resistant to fire. Probably better off getting the Sword with Drop, the EXP from finishing off Flayer yourself, and looting the various items strewn about the room.

There might be a way to drop the overhead bulbs on him or get some Lightning going with the Mysterious Liquid. I tried Shoving him in the holes in the floor and he doesn't fit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom