Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seriously did we play the same game? Why are people pretending like this game was even remotely challenging? There is practically nothing to talk about in regard to builds as there is no need for it in this game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the combat for its set piece encounters and nice environments but 5e is simplified enough already and there was nothing after lvl 5 even on Tactician that couldn't be solved by just brute forcing with haste and fighter weapon attacks. Occasionally you throw down a CC like hold person or use radiant damage against undead/shadows in Act 2 but that was barely necessary for 90% of the fights.

The difficulty is simply too easy. They really should had made the enemies last longer so they could get a chance to pop off their attacks. Like that fight with beholder was cool in theory but he survived two rounds so he barely could do anything to my party before dying. It doesn't help that supplies (even with 80 consumed per long rest) are simply too abundant.
Don't use haste unless you're one of those retards who has to spam barrels and then cry about it on the forum.
It's still not terribly difficult, but the combat is more fun.
What's retarded is saying "hey don't use this spell that they put in the game" to excuse the atrocious balance. Even if you don't use haste the encounters go from two rounds to three at best because of the itemisation. Like getting free bless/blade ward on heal or misty step ring way too early in the game. You can also CC or nuke spam because you can always long rest before you are depleted as you never reach a point in the game where you are required to be careful with your supplies. My point about haste was how braindead easy the strategy required to beat tactician. What's it going to be next? Don't use long rest?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Seriously did we play the same game? Why are people pretending like this game was even remotely challenging? There is practically nothing to talk about in regard to builds as there is no need for it in this game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the combat for its set piece encounters and nice environments but 5e is simplified enough already and there was nothing after lvl 5 even on Tactician that couldn't be solved by just brute forcing with haste and fighter weapon attacks. Occasionally you throw down a CC like hold person or use radiant damage against undead/shadows in Act 2 but that was barely necessary for 90% of the fights.

The difficulty is simply too easy. They really should had made the enemies last longer so they could get a chance to pop off their attacks. Like that fight with beholder was cool in theory but he survived two rounds so he barely could do anything to my party before dying. It doesn't help that supplies (even with 80 consumed per long rest) are simply too abundant.
Don't use haste unless you're one of those retards who has to spam barrels and then cry about it on the forum.
What's retarded is saying "hey don't use this spell that they put in the game" to excuse the atrocious balance. Even if you don't use haste the encounters go from two rounds to three at best because of the itemisation. Like getting free bless/blade ward on heal or misty step ring way too early in the game. You can also CC or nuke spam because you can always long rest before you are depleted as you never reach a point in the game where you are required to be careful with your supplies. My point about haste was how braindead easy the strategy required to beat tactician. What's it going to be next? Don't use long rest?
I don't see the slightest problem, there have always been spells that completely ruined the game if you overused them. When you're handicapped and can't stop yourself, that's how it is.
You literally were able to one shot Firkraag (and every other boss) in BG2 if you were overusing one spell.
Even that wasn't as broken as some of the other spells.

Maybe a newer example. In WoTR with some combinations of class x mythic path you can combine spell books getting a huge bonus to caster lvl and access to broken spells.
This completely removes any combat difficulty, leaving you literally spamming with 1 spell.

Last edited:

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I don't see the slightest problem, there have always been spells that completely ruined the game if you overused them. When you're handicapped and can't stop yourself, that's how it is.
You literally were able to one shot Firkraag (and every other boss) in BG2 if you were overusing one spell.

Maybe a newer example. In WoTR with some combinations of class x mythic path you can combine spell books getting a huge bonus to caster lvl and access to broken spells.
This completely removes any combat difficulty, leaving you literally spamming with 1 spell.
What even is this cope? It's an issue of game design and nothing else. Arguing that it's the player's problem for not arbitrarily self-imposing restrictions is shifting the responsibility. Where do you even draw the line on this? If you add difficulty settings in an RPG you would expect that the highest difficulty at the very least expects you to optimise your build to resolve the encounters. That's bare minimum and not even that has been achieved in BG3.

Yosharian

Arcane
now I am rolling 2d6 (GS) and 1d4 elemental dmg. But I am not tied to GS so I might use a weapon that use 1d10/1d12 depending on what I find so I guess dmg on 2 dice would be the most interesting. I guess what would be interesting is how many dice you need to roll for SA to be good.
ASI is only 1 extra damage right ? or am I missing smth.

You can use this chart here:

savageattacker.jpg

If you are using Great Weapon Fighting Style in addition to Savage Attacker, SA will add slightly less:
  • D4 +0.525
  • D6 +0.84
  • D8 +1.12875
  • D12 +1.7252
but it's still very effective... IF you are rolling lots of dice.

So for your 2D6:
  • D6 + SA = SA added +0.9722
  • 2D6 + SA = SA added +(0.9722x2) = +1.944
  • Avg of 2D6 with SA = 8.944 (vs 7 without)
For your 1D4:
  • D4 + SA = SA added +0.625
  • Avg of 1D4 with SA = 3.125 (vs 2.5 without)
So in total SA added 2.569 damage to your attack. (Slightly less if using GWF as well)

--------------

For reference, this is a typical late-game attack chain on my Paladin:
  • +1D8 (6.38): Nyrulna (Physical)
  • +1D6 (5): Nyrulna (Thunder)
  • +7: Strength bonus (Physical)
  • +2: Caustic Band (Acid)
  • +2: Callous Glow Ring (Radiant)
  • +3: Weapon Enchantment (Physical)
  • +2: Legacy of the Masters (Physical)
  • +1D4 (3.525): Drakethroat Glaive buff (Thunder) (Precast)
  • +18.4: Piercing Vulnerability (Physical) (Conditional)
  • +5D8 (31.89): Divine Smite [4th-level spell slot] (Radiant) (Conditional)
  • +5D6 (25): Branding Smite [5th-level spell slot] (Radiant) (Conditional)
  • Total Maximum Melee Damage: 31 (+75.29) = 106.2
So I roll: 1D8 + 1D6 + 1D4 + 5D8 + 5D6 in terms of damage dice (rest are flat bonuses). This is when SA starts to become worthwhile, because it's adding small bonuses to your damage dice that add up over time.

SA adds (using GWF as well):

1D8 +1.12875
1D6 +0.84
1D4 +0.525
5D8 +(5x1.12875=5.64375)
5D6 +(5x0.84=4.2)
Total added: +12.3 damage which is more than what GWM would add.

(Edit: actually it's more than that because some of the damage dice got applied twice - because my companion inflicts vulnerability. But whatever, can't be bothered to calculate it further.)

Of course I can only use Branding Smite once per turn (not to mention the 5th-level spell slot I burned) and this is using 4th-leve slots to smite, but you get the idea: SA is worthwhile if you are tossing tons of damage dice into the fight. If you aren't, it's not.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
ASI is only 1 extra damage right ? or am I missing smth.
If you aren't capped on your ability score (STR I presume) then maxing that out will add way more damage than Savage Attacker

Bear in mind though that there are a bunch of ways to max out your STR that don't involve spending ASIs

Rhobar121

Scholar

What even is this cope? It's an issue of game design and nothing else. Arguing that it's the player's problem for not arbitrarily self-imposing restrictions is shifting the responsibility. Where do you even draw the line on this? If you add difficulty settings in an RPG you would expect that the highest difficulty at the very least expects you to optimise your build to resolve the encounters. That's bare minimum and not even that has been achieved in BG3.
You didn't even address what I wrote. CRPGs have always been trivially easy to break if you wanted to.
Maybe in PoE (I don't remember much from that game) where Sayer's autism made him balance everything and the game ended up being just plain boring.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You didn't even address what I wrote. CRPGs have always been trivially easy to break if you wanted to.
Maybe in PoE (I don't remember much from that game) where Sayer's autism made him balance everything and the game ended up being just plain boring.
I did actually. You basically blame me for using the spells the game offers instead of expecting the developer to up the difficulty if you provide difficulty options. They could for example have expanded upon no-rest zones on tactician, reduced the total amount of supplies you get during the game, nerfed itemisation or delayed them, increase enemy stats more (the AI is already decent). That's valid criticism. Excusing this shit with "wElL dOnT uSe X or Y" is retarded cope.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I did actually. You basically blame me for using the spells the game offers instead of expecting the developer to up the difficulty if you provide difficulty options. They could for example have expanded upon no-rest zones on tactician, reduced the total amount of supplies you get during the game, nerfed itemisation or delayed them, increase enemy stats more (the AI is already decent). That's valid criticism. Excusing this shit with "wElL dOnT uSe X or Y" is retarded cope.
The point was that there is no cRPG where you have the kind of balance you're asking for as all of them can be easily cheesed

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The point was that there is no cRPG where you have the kind of balance you're asking for as all of them can be easily cheesed
Yes, of course every cRPG can be exploited but there is a certain degree of threshold and nuance both of you are disregarding for some strange reason.

Both PotD in PoE1/2 and Hard/Unfair in KM/WotR provide ample difficulty and really expects you to push the optimisation of your builds and utilise synergies with equipment to clear content. BG3 does not expect you to optimise anything. If you don't want to haste you can just use whatever standard CC/nuke the game gives you to win encounters. The road to trivialising the game is exceptionally short and easy to achieve.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Any properly built martial?
Ah yes, the equivalent here in BG3 is "pick 12 levels of fighter" with a choice of like 3 different feats that are actually relevant to your build. Everyone knew 5e would be simplified. This was expected. However, at least on Tactician, Larian could up the difficulty in other ways. Maybe not allow the player to use long rest whenever they fucking need it would have been a good start if you can end every encounter within two rounds so the enemy doesn't even have a chance to use any of that fine AI. I don't even get this cope for real.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My group has been restricted by time-sensitive quests for a significant part of our total playtime. I'm actually really impressed by how well Larian has managed to curtail rest spamming this way.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My group has been restricted by time-sensitive quests for a significant part of our total playtime. I'm actually really impressed by how well Larian managed to curtail rest spamming this way.
There are many instances where quests are resolved if you rest spam, like Neere or rescuing the guards in Act 1. However, most of them do not include encounters making that restriction pointless and even if they do, you will not reach a point where you feel you have to be careful with long rest spam. I'm not pretending to be some god player I literally just built a standard single class build and used regular spells. I don't know why everyone keeps lying to themselves about there being any challenge. There just isn't and that's the truth.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
However, most of them do not include encounters making that restriction pointless and even if they do, you will not reach a point where you feel you have to be careful with long rest spam.
¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ Sucks to be you, I guess. We did.

volklore

Arcane
My group has been restricted by time-sensitive quests for a significant part of our total playtime. I'm actually really impressed by how well Larian managed to curtail rest spamming this way.
There are many instances where quests are resolved if you rest spam, like Neere or rescuing the guards in Act 1. However, most of them do not include encounters making that restriction pointless and even if they do, you will not reach a point where you feel you have to be careful with long rest spam. I'm not pretending to be some god player I literally just built a standard single class build and used regular spells. I don't know why everyone keeps lying to themselves about there being any challenge. There just isn't and that's the truth.
I think he's talking about co-op. I am willing to believe tactician is actually pretty well balanced for co-op. In fact, I am pretty sure this is what larian balanced towards as usual. Though interestingly DoS2 was harder than this although mostly because of its counter intuitive system where playing a mixed, typical cRPG party was actually harder than playing 4 martials and stacking as much damage on each as possible.

volklore

Arcane
Lol Kingmaker can easily be trivialised, Icy Prison spam? Weird? Any properly built martial?
Kingmaker took a bit longer to stop being challenging (I'd say maybe lvl 7?) but WoTR keeps the challenge up there for much longer depending on your build/party.
I don't think there is much variation here. You could pick any single class in BG3 play it normally, default to ASI if you don't know what to pick and still difficulty would dip down around the same time (lvl 5 ish). Tactician+ is required for multiple playthroughs to be fun imo. It probably wouldn't require much for once, just more health on mostly everything so they can't be nuked so easily on a won initiative roll, may another flat bonus to attack rolls. Enemy saves are okay, but admitedly I haven't found many DC items yet.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I think he's talking about co-op. I am willing to believe tactician is actually pretty well balanced for co-op. In fact, I am pretty sure this is what larian balanced towards as usual. Though interestingly DoS2 was harder than this although mostly because of its counter intuitive system where playing a mixed, typical cRPG party was actually harder than playing 4 martials and stacking as much damage on each as possible.
It helped that the guys I'm playing with insisted on doing the Grym fight before resolving the Nere situation but after triggering the time limit :hearnoevil:

Rhobar121

Scholar
Yes, of course every cRPG can be exploited but there is a certain degree of threshold and nuance both of you are disregarding for some strange reason.

Both PotD in PoE1/2 and Hard/Unfair in KM/WotR provide ample difficulty and really expects you to push the optimisation of your builds and utilise synergies with equipment to clear content. BG3 does not expect you to optimise anything. If you don't want to haste you can just use whatever standard CC/nuke the game gives you to win encounters. The road to trivialising the game is exceptionally short and easy to achieve.
I really like Pathfinder but let's not be ridiculous with the difficulty level. You can literally beat Unfair with any pure class. The game is literally about putting all the buffs on yourself and that's it.
In the game, you can literally rest after almost every fight if you want to waste your time.

Aside from broken multiclassing largely due to crappy implementations of some classes, you really have little variety between builds.
If you make an archer regardless of the class you choose, you will always choose the same feats. Once you pay the feat tax you may have 2-3 feats left to distribute as you like. The only freedom is really in melee characters.
It's not that different from 5e.

You literally can pick any divine caster (even druid) then combine the spellbook with the angel and go through the whole game just spamming bolt of justice/storm of justice and nothing else.
You don't need a single feat.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Yes, characters are just better played as pure class in 5e anyway you look at it.

The old 3.5 meme of having dips in several classes doesn't apply here.
Sadly, in most cases I have to agree. Been fiddling around for over 100h now, and most times even if you find a decent mix, Larian "homerules" fuck it up like quicken metamagic changed to cost 3 points instead of 2. But there are exceptions; for instance 3 lv rogue/thief gets a "bonus" bonus action which alows to dash and sneak in singe turn, or spam bonus action attacks. Or the hilarious fact that extra attacks from various classes actually stack unlike p&p (so probably they'll fix it).
yeah, berserker with 3lvl thief basically gets extra throw while raging

volklore

Arcane
The old 3.5 meme of having dips in several classes doesn't apply here.
Sadly, in most cases I have to agree. Been fiddling around for over 100h now, and most times even if you find a decent mix, Larian "homerules" fuck it up like quicken metamagic changed to cost 3 points instead of 2. But there are exceptions; for instance 3 lv rogue/thief gets a "bonus" bonus action which alows to dash and sneak in singe turn, or spam bonus action attacks. Or the hilarious fact that extra attacks from various classes actually stack unlike p&p (so probably they'll fix it).
yeah, berserker with 3lvl thief basically gets extra throw while raging
Does it work ? I think zerk locks you at 1 use of these bonus actions per round. I guess with thief you can rage and then throw immediately but otherwise I think you are locked at only a single use of the zerk bonus action per round.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If you read the plaques in Druid Enclave to get Gale's Inspiration it makes skill checks easier to convince Kagha to stop ritual, which is pretty cool.
Funny that you rate me ‘fake news’ when you haven’t even finished the Druid grove. So you are what, lvl 4 or something? I have already finished the game so what the fuck do you even know about the difficulty?

Also you are completely overblowing inspirations. It’s really not as important as you think it is, but maybe it makes you feel smart or something idk.
Not a damn thing. Total noob.

You’re right. Great job.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Lol Kingmaker can easily be trivialised, Icy Prison spam? Weird? Any properly built martial?
Kingmaker took a bit longer to stop being challenging (I'd say maybe lvl 7?) but WoTR keeps the challenge up there for much longer depending on your build/party.
I don't think there is much variation here. You could pick any single class in BG3 play it normally, default to ASI if you don't know what to pick and still difficulty would dip down around the same time (lvl 5 ish). Tactician+ is required for multiple playthroughs to be fun imo. It probably wouldn't require much for once, just more health on mostly everything so they can't be nuked so easily on a won initiative roll, may another flat bonus to attack rolls. Enemy saves are okay, but admitedly I haven't found many DC items yet.
Kingsmaker is no longer a challenge after killing a stag lord. After that there are some pretty tough fights but as long as you can deal acid damage you shouldn't have much of a problem.
I don't count situations like one shot of the main character with random crit but in itself only annoying not difficult.
Kingsmaker is probably the worst balanced game I've ever played.
I've never seen a game before that where the hardest part of the game is the prologue. Even the most optimized character I could make still had a 20-30% chance of being hit (I don't know if they finally fixed that).
The only way to complete it was to take advantage of the fact that your companions are immortal.

In the case of WoTR, as long as you know what you are doing and buy the right scrolls, even unfair is not extremely difficult in 1 act (with exceptions).
You can clear all the towers and most of the market with a 4 man party without any rest

Yosharian

Arcane
Any properly built martial?
Ah yes, the equivalent here in BG3 is "pick 12 levels of fighter" with a choice of like 3 different feats that are actually relevant to your build. Everyone knew 5e would be simplified. This was expected. However, at least on Tactician, Larian could up the difficulty in other ways. Maybe not allow the player to use long rest whenever they fucking need it would have been a good start if you can end every encounter within two rounds so the enemy doesn't even have a chance to use any of that fine AI. I don't even get this cope for real.
That's fair, I agree that there is more build porn in KM.

I'm just saying let's not pretend that KM/Wrath are really that difficult, just because smoothbrain console players can't figure out how to kill a swarm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom