Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright my Sorcadin does 343.4 damage per round with +21.5 to-hit guys, I think I'm ready to start playing when Patch 2 hits

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Roleplay and remember clerics are not compatible with rogue.
yeah but then she is of trickster domain so thief or bard feel natural.
Even rerolling her into pure thief sounds natural to me.
reason im asking is to restart as oops-all-rogues party

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played through the whole game single-classed as fighter on Tactician and it was only an interesting challenge up to level 5. Once you get access to haste and extra attack every encounter can be resolved with this basic strategy. In the rare instance that concentration breaks on haste just use a speed potion.

I don't even understand the point of this thread. What is there to munchkin about? There is no challenge in the game to meet the need for it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
speaking of warlock companions, would warlock/paladin fit gale personality?
I hate wyll

Barbarian

Arcane
speaking of warlock companions, would warlock/paladin fit gale personality?

Off course not. These characters are written around their classes.

Shadowheart thief/cleric would actually make sense thematically, but it is one of the few. Multiclassing Gale doesn't. Dude is a walking wizard stereotype, has audio quirps complaining when you make him sneak around or fight in melee.

Barbarian

Arcane
Jaheira maybe multiclass into fighter as in the original games. Minthara is one of the few that would make sense as a fighter, cleric or several other things. I didn't recruit her but didn't remember her saying anything about being a paladin, or even having anything that would make sense considering how the class was envisioned originally.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There’s enough shit to figure out already without making things hard on yourself. It’s not a phone game.

Barbarian

Arcane
Yes, characters are just better played as pure class in 5e anyway you look at it.

The old 3.5 meme of having dips in several classes doesn't apply here.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seriously did we play the same game? Why are people pretending like this game was even remotely challenging? There is practically nothing to talk about in regard to builds as there is no need for it in this game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the combat for its set piece encounters and nice environments but 5e is simplified enough already and there was nothing after lvl 5 even on Tactician that couldn't be solved by just brute forcing with haste and fighter weapon attacks. Occasionally you throw down a CC like hold person or use radiant damage against undead/shadows in Act 2 but that was barely necessary for 90% of the fights.

The difficulty is simply too easy. They really should had made the enemies last longer so they could get a chance to pop off their attacks. Like that fight with beholder was cool in theory but he survived two rounds so he barely could do anything to my party before dying. It doesn't help that supplies (even with 80 consumed per long rest) are simply too abundant.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
It would be cleric9/thief3 but it is not worth it and makes no sense. You will lose powerful spell slots in exchange for extra bonus action, sneak attack 2s6, 1 extra skill proficiency and expertise.

Extra Bonus Action (and Dash/Disengage/Hide as Bonus Actions) and Expertise are both very good, but probably not worth it.

Desiderius

Patron
If you read the plaques in Druid Enclave to get Gale's Inspiration it makes skill checks easier to convince Kagha to stop ritual, which is pretty cool.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you read the plaques in Druid Enclave to get Gale's Inspiration it makes skill checks easier to convince Kagha to stop ritual, which is pretty cool.
Funny that you rate me ‘fake news’ when you haven’t even finished the Druid grove. So you are what, lvl 4 or something? I have already finished the game so what the fuck do you even know about the difficulty?

Also you are completely overblowing inspirations. It’s really not as important as you think it is, but maybe it makes you feel smart or something idk.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is practically nothing to talk about in regard to builds as there is no need for it in this game.

We are looking for new ways to break the game and its combat? Making the uber build that 1 shots bosses? Have fun?

Last night I fight the devil in Shar's Gauntlet. Killed it and most of it's henchman in an alpha strike just with Astarion, planting some potions before. It was glorious. Only 2 or 3 devils remained with the displacer beast which all suprised so all dead even before acting.

But yeah, Haste potion breaks the game so easly and it's really easy to craft it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is anybody claiming the game is challenging? Anyone in this thread that is?

Seems like a strawman. The game’s biggest detractor for me is the low difficulty

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There is practically nothing to talk about in regard to builds as there is no need for it in this game.

We are looking for new ways to break the game and its combat? Making the uber build that 1 shots bosses? Have fun?

Last night I fight the devil in Shar's Gauntlet. Killed it and most of it's henchman in an alpha strike just with Astarion, planting some potions before. It was glorious. Only 2 or 3 devils remained with the displacer beast which all suprised so all dead even before acting.

But yeah, Haste potion breaks the game so easly and it's really easy to craft it.
If they made long rest supplies a lot harder to find (and ensured there was no work around) then that alone would up the difficulty to a good degree.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, characters are just better played as pure class in 5e anyway you look at it.

Eh, actually its mostly as it was before: be wary of multiclassing dedicated casters (still can get some good benefits here, particularly from Sorc metamagics), but for martials its fair game (except be wary of delaying the Extra Attack feature - or similar - that most martials get at level 5).

Yosharian

Arcane
Most of the martials benefit massively from multiclassing, and a lot of the primary caster builds have meta builds that dip into other classes for their front-loaded abilities.

Whether they are strictly better is a matter of each individual case, but it's completely wrong to say that pure classes are always better.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Sadly, in most cases I have to agree. Been fiddling around for over 100h now, and most times even if you find a decent mix, Larian "homerules" fuck it up like quicken metamagic changed to cost 3 points instead of 2. But there are exceptions; for instance 3 lv rogue/thief gets a "bonus" bonus action which alows to dash and sneak in singe turn, or spam bonus action attacks. Or the hilarious fact that extra attacks from various classes actually stack unlike p&p (so probably they'll fix it).

Last edited:

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Sadly, in most cases I have to agree. Been fiddling around for over 100h now, and most times even if you find a decent mix, Larian "homerules" fuck it up like quicken metamagic changed to cost 3 points instead of one. But there are exceptions; for instance 3 lv rogue/thief gets a "bonus" bonus action which alows to dash and sneak in singe turn, or spam bonus action attacks. Or the hilarious fact that extra attacks from various classes actually stack unlike p&p (so probably they'll fix it).
If I recall right the only extra attack that stacks is from pact blade and that's very likely not intended. Making builds around exploits is pretty lame but it's not like you need to do any of this shit to comfortably cruise through the game on highest difficulty and that's really the sad thing about BG3. I had hoped they would at least leave tactician alone for the build autists... now it's more like do you want to optimise to break the game even further? Highest difficulty should put an expectation on optimisation which is not the case here.

volklore

Arcane
Hm wonder if I should pick savage attacker or ASI at 8 (already have GWM) on barb. I would also think about polearm master but apparently, the bonus action is not applying GWM extra damage atm.
Sounds like SA would be more damage but I am not sure about the math on that. ASI gives some THC but as long as I have bless on hitting with reckless attacks isn't really a problem. Probably going to multiclass my barb to fighter 9-12 to grab action surge, I got everything I really wanted out of barb and I don't think I will need relentless rage - I already have the half orc racial and it got popped maybe 1 time since lvl 5.

Yosharian

Arcane
Hm wonder if I should pick savage attacker or ASI at 8 (already have GWM) on barb. Sounds like SA would be more damage but I am not sure about the math on that. ASI gives some THC but as long as I have bless on hitting with reckless attacks isn't really a problem.
Probably going to multiclass my barb to fighter 9-12 to grab action surge, I got everything I really wanted out of barb and I don't think I will need relentless rage - I already have the half orc racial and it got popped maybe 1 time since lvl 5.
For Barbarian? Absolutely not. You need lots of damage dice (like Smite) to make SA competitive.

Tell me exactly how many damage dice you are rolling on your attacks and I can tell you how much SA will add

volklore

Arcane
now I am rolling 2d6 (GS) and 1d4 elemental dmg. But I am not tied to GS so I might use a weapon that use 1d10/1d12 depending on what I find so I guess dmg on 2 dice would be the most interesting. I guess what would be interesting is how many dice you need to roll for SA to be good.
ASI is only 1 extra damage right ? or am I missing smth.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Making builds around exploits is pretty lame but it's not like you need to do any of this shit to comfortably cruise through the game on highest difficulty and that's really the sad thing about BG3
I think it just boils down to that Larian has nerfed the most popular class dip options so that pure classes fare comparably well to buildrafted mixes, because it lets noob players make comparably good characters at the cost of multiclassing ending up pretty meh.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Seriously did we play the same game? Why are people pretending like this game was even remotely challenging? There is practically nothing to talk about in regard to builds as there is no need for it in this game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the combat for its set piece encounters and nice environments but 5e is simplified enough already and there was nothing after lvl 5 even on Tactician that couldn't be solved by just brute forcing with haste and fighter weapon attacks. Occasionally you throw down a CC like hold person or use radiant damage against undead/shadows in Act 2 but that was barely necessary for 90% of the fights.

The difficulty is simply too easy. They really should had made the enemies last longer so they could get a chance to pop off their attacks. Like that fight with beholder was cool in theory but he survived two rounds so he barely could do anything to my party before dying. It doesn't help that supplies (even with 80 consumed per long rest) are simply too abundant.
Don't use haste unless you're one of those retards who has to spam barrels and then cry about it on the forum.
It's still not terribly difficult, but the combat is more fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom