Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

ds

Cipher
Patron
Infinite pathfinding nodes won't change the fact that the game considers one of your characters standing in a narrow corridor to be blocking the path of your other characters even when moving them together, sending some of your party on a wild detour. It also won't prevent characters from getting temporarily stuck when walking past other characters, which can already happen in BG1 without EE.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
This is true; so what?

The PCs can exist separately anywhere on the map, or on
—different— maps; hence it scans paths for each character individually. Presumably the same system is used in combat as well.

The game was designed for early Pentiums that couldn't play an MP3 in real time. It does what it does. Higher number of pathfinding nodes ultimately solves the (otherwise unsolvable) problem, and at little cost.

Ryzer

Arcane
Infinite pathfinding nodes won't change the fact that the game considers one of your characters standing in a narrow corridor to be blocking the path of your other characters even when moving them together, sending some of your party on a wild detour. It also won't prevent characters from getting temporarily stuck when walking past other characters, which can already happen in BG1 without EE.
This is why I can't stand a 6-man party in BG, it turns into chaos 90% of the time, and sometimes some characters can be wiped out stupidly, whereas a 2-3-4 man party has no issue. I had more fun with soloing personally because everything happens as intended.

Melcar

Arcane
4 characters is really all you need to cover the bases. 6 is fine the first few times if you want to get the most out of NPC interactions and content, but subsequent runs can (and should) be done with 3-4 size parties. Less headaches.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Myself, I tend to play using the multiplayer option, playing four custom characters myself, and leaving room for two NPCs. I will sometimes be playing on two or more maps (interior) at once—especially with thieves burgling (as thieves will do), since it won't do to have a lawful paladin tagging along on their midnight maladventures; nor to have lawful characters knowingly accept stolen goods, which would be against their ethics (and so being an action out of character).

The problem I have with Infinity's pathing system is with Icewind Dale 2. where enemies in combat who lose sight of a party member on one side of a map will form a twisting conga-line directly to the rest of the party (even when completely obscured) hidden away on the far side of the map; it's absurd.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom