Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

waywardOne

Arcane
Yes they are permanently in beta. But that's a good thing. They constantly add mostly good stuff. The store revision thing for example. But i agree, i'm able to fix and change stuff i don't like or which is buggy. But it's not that much.

And ludicrous and inconsistent is vanilla BG2. Playing two hours and running around with -6 spell casting time equipment +4/+5 weapons and permanent beholder, negative plane and missile immunity.

The cool thing with these mods is, they are being worked on to be compatible with SCS2. Most of the spell changes are very nice in my d&d-nerd opinion.
I guess, but for me (and my cabal) his mods are just exchanging the stupid we're used to for new stupid. His design philosophy is like an architect that changes his blueprint every second because he's just guessing where to put the next brick. It's actually worse now that I think about it: shitty implementation of a shitty, half-baked concept.

Incantatar

Cipher
Also I recommend BGT because all those Manuals that change stats, you can use them on your companions or your self and they will carry over into BGII (IIRC).
There is only one problem. BG2 improved all the NPC stats. So if you start with BG1 NPC stats you will end with worse NPCs in BG2 and if you start with BG2 stats you will have (some) overpowered NPCs in BG1 and BG2.

Mages, Bards and Thiefs will get less EXP in BGT btw. The XP rewards for scribing and thieving are rebalanced for BG1 and thus meaningless for BG2. Sucks.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, J_C, I forgot: If you're using SCS and SCSII, Level1NPC is AWESOME. It can get a bit silly if you change things too much, but it will allow to ungimp your party members and thus really test your tactical abilities versus the difficulties SCS post :)

(plus, character creation is just fun)

There is only one problem. BG2 improved all the NPC stats. So if you start with BG1 NPC stats you will end with worse NPCs in BG2 and if you start with BG2 stats you will have (some) overpowered NPCs in BG1 and BG2.

BGT takes care of this. There is an option to give them their BG1 stats, and you can change this once you transfer. Or you can just do it manually.

Mages, Bards and Thiefs will get less EXP in BGT btw. The XP rewards for scribing and thieving are rebalanced for BG1 and thus meaningless for BG2. Sucks.

This, as well, is easily changed when you transfer (hell, you can even give them their original values in BG1 if you're an ass).

These are a couple of many reasons why BGT is surperior to TuTu.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What is the console command to kill something? Kirinhale is now immortal currently in BGT :roll:

CTRL+Y, but it won't work on immortal enemies. I think there is a fix for that bug if you use google-fu. I had with Andrei on the Ice Island. G3 has info on it. It's not BGT IIRC, it's SCS.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm not using SCS though, but thanks for the info! (I finally just killed her with Minsc, bezerked hasted aid and bless). For some reason every time she turned invisible as soon as she became visible again she was at full health now matter how much damage we did to her heh. ugh that was annoying.

Sazabi

Novice
I plan on going through Baldur's Gate for my first time next Monday (snowed under with work at the moment) - so should I go through unmodded my first play through, or should I add some mods into the mix?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I plan on going through Baldur's Gate for my first time next Monday (snowed under with work at the moment) - so should I go through unmodded my first play through, or should I add some mods into the mix?

Use fixpacks and tweakpacks only. Unmodded besides. For the tweakpacks, only install the features you need. That's my suggestion.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'd definitely use a Widescreen mod for BG1 to get higher resolutions. The very small view area was a real turn off for me last time I tried vanilla BG1.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So uh in BGT Karoug is now immune to +2 weapons?

EDIT: Shit I forgot, that shapechanger Bastard Sword and that Flame sword work on him. And I have not found them yet. Fuck this randomizer mod is BRUTAL. Shit I STILL have not found a Ring of Wizardry yet. :lol:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Loup Garous always were immune to anything but +3 weapons and quest weapons, no?
Actually maybe they even were immune to +3 weapons, so it just leaves player with silver dagger and gold sword. Don't remember...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Loup Garous always were immune to anything but +3 weapons and quest weapons, no?
Actually maybe they even were immune to +3 weapons, so it just leaves player with silver dagger and gold sword. Don't remember...

Didn't Balduran leave his +3 Kitchen Knife somewhere in the wreck? I seem to recall that was the only weapon that could hurt the chief werewolf in the wreck.

Shadenuat

Arcane
SCS tweak which makes every companion level 0 when they join you allowing relocation of everything, be it masteries or thief skills is absolutely wonderful. It allows so much flexibility in party composition. :love:

Didn't Balduran leave his +3 Kitchen Knife somewhere in the wreck?
Uh, you probably mistake it for Werebane dagger which is in the wreck too. I don't think butter knife can hit anything.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
SCS tweak which makes every companion level 0 when they join you allowing relocation of everything, be it masteries or thief skills is absolutely wonderful. It allows so much flexibility in party composition. :love:

Especially with TuTu since whomever converted the companions to use BG2 weapon skills had an unhealthy dual wielding fetish....

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Shadenaut said:
SCS tweak which makes every companion level 0 when they join you allowing relocation of everything, be it masteries or thief skills is absolutely wonderful. It allows so much flexibility in party composition

Don't use that. It has bugs and leaves much to be desired. Use the Level1NPC mod. Which, incidentally, I just recommended further above.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm not interested in changing character's classes and I have not encountered any bugs so far.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm not interested in changing character's classes and I have not encountered any bugs so far.

I'm pretty sure the BGT reset isn't a complete reset either. But whatever works for you. My point was as much to anyone who might be reading.

Level1NPC is the most complete level-reset we got for BG NPCs.

Wizfall

Cipher
A must have mod :
1ppv4.1.0

file:///F:/BG2/1pp/documentation/readme.html
It's a wonderful graphic mod.

Wizfall

Cipher
I must be blind, didn't notice it.
But those flaming swords are so nice;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom