Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Dude, just buy the enhanced editions.

Incantatar

Cipher
Usually: Fixes-NPC-Banter-Quest-Tweaks-SCS-Gui/WS

-(ToBEx if you want it separately)
-Ascension
-BGT
-BG2 Fixpack
-Restored Textscreen Music
-1PP mods
-BG1 NPC Project
-BG Miniquests and Encounters
-BG1 Unfinished Business
-Unfinished Business
-Oversight
-Rogue Rebalancing
-aTweaks
-BG2 Tweaks
-BGT Tweaks
-Sword Coast Strategems
-Sword Coast Strategems II
-BGT Music
-Tutu GUI
-Widescreen Mod

Btw this is not minimal. You could alternatively use BWP to install your mods. I would recommend EasyTUTU. It's not perfect and BGT gets more fixes but it's just smaller and easier to manage if you encounter problems.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Your order is wrong. BG2Fixpack v1 or above (install before BGT-WeiDU - installing after BGT-WeiDU causes you to get the SoA world map)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This mod kicks ass: http://www.gibberlings3.net/item_rand/

Item Randomiser

Overview
Item Randomiser is a large-scale random treasure mod for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. It is available for EasyTutu, Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Baldur's Gate II and is partially available for Baldur's Gate.

It still need a bit of tweaking but Highly recommended.

Incantatar

Cipher
This mod kicks ass: http://www.gibberlings3.net/item_rand/

Item Randomiser

Overview
Item Randomiser is a large-scale random treasure mod for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. It is available for EasyTutu, Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Baldur's Gate II and is partially available for Baldur's Gate.

It still need a bit of tweaking but Highly recommended.
Sure, you're right. And Item Randomiser is great, although i would recommend Item Revisions and Spell Revisions together with SCS/2.

waywardOne

Arcane
Sure, you're right. And Item Randomiser is great, although i would recommend Item Revisions and Spell Revisions together with SCS/2.

Those mods are permanently in beta. Don't bother unless you enjoy reporting bugs on their forum every week, assuming you can stomach all the ludicrous and inconsistent changes.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, so I gave the Turd Edition a spin. After that I installed vanilla BG with the widescreen mod. I only played a little in Candlekeep, but the difference is obvious. The widescreen mod gives a crisper, clearer view, and the camera is higher up, than with BGEE. BGEE has blurry view, and a shitty useless zoom. On the other hand, menus with the Widescreen mod are off center, and they don't take up the whole screen, which looks kinda bad. I found a GUI mod, which improves this, but that only works for 1280x800 (my native res is 1680x1050). There are also huge slowdowns on my machine with the widescreen mod. This plagued my BG1 gaming for a long time, and couldn't find a solution for it. (anyone knows how to solve it?).

So, the widescreen mod provides a better picture, but BGEE has a better GUI structure (the GUI menus and the textures look bad, but at least they work full screen and use the whole screen).

Jaesun Any tipps? I remember you messed around with the GUIs in the past.

A question to the pro modders. Is there a way to use BG2 engine for example, but only for the graphics? I mean I don't want to use the BG2 D&D system (like in Tutu or BGT), just the graphics?

Incantatar

Cipher
It's a real shame that the BG1 Fixpack project is abandoned. http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/baldursgatefixpack.htm
I understand modders hate the BG1 engine and everyone recommends TUTU and BGT, but the vanilla feeling of exploration and the many flaws of the conversions would not let me recommend them over vanilla for at least first time players. There are a few inconveniences and stupid bugs but after playing the good gold box games it doesn't feel that inconvenient.

I'm not entirely sure that was abandoned. I do know that the project lead got tired of the modding scene and left, I think back in August. Isn't it possible that somebody at G3 has continued his work?
I don't think so. http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=9019&st=195 Only one unrelated comment after his departure. Seems that nobody wants to take over. BG1 Tweaks at least still gets some attention http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=24731
I wish i had more time learning this stuff. I understand most of the softcode in Infinity, but it's a another thing really fixing shit.

Incantatar

Cipher
A question to the pro modders. Is there a way to use BG2 engine for example, but only for the graphics? I mean I don't want to use the BG2 D&D system (like in Tutu or BGT), just the graphics?
Why? The paperdolls look so much nicer in BG1. Like someone said above, i really don't understand why the need to play in high resolutions. You miss a lot of detail and i feel more attached to the characters in lower res.

The zooming thing was the only thing to keep me interested in BGEE and if i trust the reviews, it's complete shit. The original art is lost, there will never be a good looking high res Baldur's Gate.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ok, so I gave the Turd Edition a spin. After that I installed vanilla BG with the widescreen mod. I only played a little in Candlekeep, but the difference is obvious. The widescreen mod gives a crisper, clearer view, and the camera is higher up, than with BGEE. BGEE has blurry view, and a shitty useless zoom. On the other hand, menus with the Widescreen mod are off center, and they don't take up the whole screen, which looks kinda bad. I found a GUI mod, which improves this, but that only works for 1280x800 (my native res is 1680x1050). There are also huge slowdowns on my machine with the widescreen mod. This plagued my BG1 gaming for a long time, and couldn't find a solution for it. (anyone knows how to solve it?).

So, the widescreen mod provides a better picture, but BGEE has a better GUI structure (the GUI menus and the textures look bad, but at least they work full screen and use the whole screen).

Jaesun Any tipps? I remember you messed around with the GUIs in the past.

I had a lot of crashing problems the last time I tried the Widescreen mod with BG at 1024 x 768 (interiors would randomly crash, everywhere else was fine). But I cant blame the widescreen mod, it could be a number of other mods or something else causing it. So I gave up and just installed the BGT mod. And no, BGT and TuTu are they only way to use BGII's UI (other than BG:EE).

Incantatar

Cipher

Those mods are permanently in beta. Don't bother unless you enjoy reporting bugs on their forum every week, assuming you can stomach all the ludicrous and inconsistent changes.
Yes they are permanently in beta. But that's a good thing. They constantly add mostly good stuff. The store revision thing for example. But i agree, i'm able to fix and change stuff i don't like or which is buggy. But it's not that much.

And ludicrous and inconsistent is vanilla BG2. Playing two hours and running around with -6 spell casting time equipment +4/+5 weapons and permanent beholder, negative plane and missile immunity.

The cool thing with these mods is, they are being worked on to be compatible with SCS2. Most of the spell changes are very nice in my d&d-nerd opinion.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why? The paperdolls look so much nicer in BG1. Like someone said above, i really don't understand why the need to play in high resolutions. You miss a lot of detail and i feel more attached to the characters in lower res.

The zooming thing was the only thing to keep me interested in BGEE and if i trust the reviews, it's complete shit. The original art is lost, there will never be a good looking high res Baldur's Gate.
I know, but the original resolution looks like shit on my monitor with fulll screen. And with windowed it is very uncomfortable, because I might click on my desktop instead of the game. And the small window looks silly anyway.

Jaesun Thanks anyway. The only reason i don't like BGT and Tutu is because I fear that the BG2 system fucks up the BG1 balance. Or am I wrong?

Incantatar

Cipher
Jaesun Thanks anyway. The only reason i don't like BGT and Tutu is because I fear that the BG2 system fucks up the BG1 balance. Or am I wrong?
Not necessarily.You need to tweak a bit.
-Spawns ridiculous (TUTU)
-some strange proficiency pips
-inconsistent BG2 spells added (e.g. Summon Familiar)
-Some Kits totally under- and overpowered
-better AI
-higher stacks of items

I forgot: much higher walking speed. Changes the whole pace of the game!
-You will be able to run away from every enemy. Not possible in vanilla BG1.
-Your inventory is paused in BG2. But iirc you can change that in the ini. Not sure.

BUT: The best thing is though, you can install SCS. The best mod there is for BG1&2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
That's the point. There are balance issues and there is no tweak for each one of them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
To be completely honest J_C BGT/TuTU do have some changes (as Incantatar noted above) I would suggest you give it a try and just make up your own mind. I am very much a BG purist, but I have never yet finished BG in BGT/TuTu before and am doing so now to make up my own mind about it. There is some stuff I dislike, but the overall positive and better experience far outweighs the cons (at least so far for me).

I would however recommend you do NOT use a kit, and use only the standard classes (like I am playing a 3rd level fighter/Cleric) currently. Also I recommend BGT because all those Manuals that change stats, you can use them on your companions or your self and they will carry over into BGII (IIRC).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Ok, I will give BGT/Tutu a try on my next walkthrough. Does the mods of BG1 still work on that? (unfinished business, fixpacks etc).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ok, I will give BGT/Tutu a try on my next walkthrough. Does the mods of BG1 still work on that? (unfinished business, fixpacks etc).

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/19539-bgt-weidu-compatibility/
Thanks. Last request: could you list me the mods that you are using? Sorry to bother you with these, but it seems you know a lot about this, while I only used a few important mods during my previous playthroughs.

no problem NOTE the install order.

BG2FIXPACK (MUST be installed FIRST - fixes most all bugs/text other stuff in BGII)
SETUP-BGT (BGT mod note it has it's own fixes for BG1 so no need to do any fixpacks on BG1)
BG1UB
BGTMUSIC (this file is created after you run BGT - changes the music to BG1 so run it when you are playing through BG1)
1PP - (A shitload of graphic fixes/additions pretty fucking cool - YOU MUST be using FULL 3D MODE for some of these to work)
RANDOMISER - (I LOVE this mod your mileage may vary, takes ALL the loot in the game and randomizes it more intelligently still needs a tiny bit more work but works pretty damn cool)
TUTUGUI - (change the GUI from BGII to BG1 - for 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 modes - it is only partially compatible with the widescreen mod so widescreen mod not recommended to use - 1024x768 is fine enough for me)
BGTTWEAK - (some small tweaks as well as some tweaks to make stuff close to original BG like prices, weight, reduce lockpic XP, lore etc...)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
MY SUPER FUCKING DUPER INSTALL ORDER OF GODDAMNED AWESOME SHIT MODS !!!!!!!!!! (Played through the whole trilogy...well almost, I always get bored with crappy ToB).

INSTALL ORDER: (MANUALLY)

bg2 fixpack
bgt
bg1npc
bg1 unfinished business
bgttweak
sword coast stratagems
bg2 tweakpack
bg2 quest pack
bg2 unfinished business
Ascension
Tower Of Deception
sword coast stratagems II
banter pack
Flirt pack
Wheels of Prophecy
widescreen mod

FUCK YEAH MOTHERFUCKERS>>>>

lurker3000

Arcane
You all can just download the BWP manual to determine what order to install mods. Or just use the automatic installer application to download mods and choose what mod components to install.

lurker3000

Arcane
Worked for me a few months ago. The new installer was actually pretty slick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom