Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Theldaran

Liturgist
For the love of God, remove the character outlines.

They only needed to add convincing widescreen support, all of these additions were shit and made it look ugly.

CoronerZg

Scholar
So I got the itch to do another run of BG1, but almost all the modding sites I used to visit are not around anymore (and 90% of saved links I have for specific mods aren't working anymore).

Well I figured I could ask the fine people here - does anyone have a working BG mod collection for original BG (non-EE version) they could share via google drive or something similar?

Also while on the topic... after a clean installation my screen is flickering as fuck. And I don't remember this happening while I was on Windows 7 so I guess this is a Windows 10 "feature". Anyone knows a fix?

Melcar

Arcane
So I got the itch to do another run of BG1, but almost all the modding sites I used to visit are not around anymore (and 90% of saved links I have for specific mods aren't working anymore).

Well I figured I could ask the fine people here - does anyone have a working BG mod collection for original BG (non-EE version) they could share via google drive or something similar?

Also while on the topic... after a clean installation my screen is flickering as fuck. And I don't remember this happening while I was on Windows 7 so I guess this is a Windows 10 "feature". Anyone knows a fix?

Imagine still playing non-EE games in current year.

All the worthwhile mods are either in Gibberlings Three, Spellhold Studios and maybe Pocket Plane Group. Last I bothered checking most mods still had working download links.

As for the flickering, I seem to remember that turning off vsync solves it.

CoronerZg I have a wealth of them, but Melcar is correct that the majority are available still through G3, SHS, and PPG. I have some really good mods that are more obscure, like shapeshifter improvements (sadras), wizard slayer improvements, and the absolutely outstanding wild mage spell expansion. The wild mage one is very difficult to find these days. This is mod list and install order I used prior to the EEs.

Game 1
Game 2
No CD Hack
Ascension
Wheels of Prophecy
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Baldur's Gate Trilogy Tweaks

--------------------
Baldur's Gate 1 Mods
--------------------
Baldur's Gate I Restored Narration
Baldur's gate Lightmaps
Baldur's Gate Unfinished Business
Baldur's Gate Mini-Quests & Encounters
NPCs
Baldur's Gate NPC Project
Level 1 NPCs
Sword Coast Strategems I
Baldur's Gate Tweaks

---------------------------
Baldur's Gate 2 Mods & Else
Baldur's Gate 2 Unfinished Business
Pocket Plane Group Quest Pack
Assassinations
Pocket Plane Banter
iepBanter
Baldur's Gate 2 Creature Fixer
Oversight
Rogue Rebalancing
Improved Horns
Item Revisions
One Pixel Productions
Baldur's Gate II Sheild Animation Fix
PnP Free Action
Wildmage Expansion
WizardSlayer Mod
Shapeshifter Mod
Spell Revisions
Picky Familiars
PnP Celestials
Sword Coast Strategems II
gMinion
Baldur's Gate II Tweaks
aTweaks
eSeries (PC Scripts)
WideScreen
Generalized Biffing
Throne of Bhaal Extender
Refinements

Sykar

Arcane

Imagine still playing non-EE games in current year.

All the worthwhile mods are either in Gibberlings Three, Spellhold Studios and maybe Pocket Plane Group. Last I bothered checking most mods still had working download links.

As for the flickering, I seem to remember that turning off vsync solves it.

EE is for degenerates and retards.

mkultra

Augur

you don't use individual download links or even manually fix load / install orders etc nowadays.. you just download DLTCEP which has a built in database for ALL mods (BG1+2) and select/install via that program, it takes care of everything that you before had to do manually and was very time consuming.

I recently installed EET (BG1+2 combined) then DLTCEP, added 110 mods.. Took perhaps 1h which is way faster than reading for many hours (install orders etc) and then finding DL links.

Also I recommend the far superior EE, unless you're a retard, then don't use EE :)

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

There are not many mods you need for BG1 anyway.

Most important:
1) SCS
2) BG1NPC

Nice to have:
3) Ascalon's Quest Pack
4) Unfinished Business

mkultra

Augur
you don't "need" any mods tbh... but there are mods which adds entirely new large maps with quests, new items, npc's etc.. if you've already played BG1 there's no reason to skip out on mods which makes the game larger and a little more interesting to explore.

d1r

Patron
you don't "need" any mods tbh... but there are mods which adds entirely new large maps with quests, new items, npc's etc.. if you've already played BG1 there's no reason to skip out on mods which makes the game larger and a little more interesting to explore.

Normally I'd say yes, but FORGET big BG1 quest mods. They're all unbalanced, have repetetive, or really ass looking maps, bad stories, Drizzt wanking and so on.

mkultra

Augur
i don't agree.. i played one a few days ago, took me around 12h to complete, so quite a large map(s). it took me a while to understand it was a mod (haven't played BG1 in 12-13 years), the graphics was absolutely seamless. I wouldn't say the quests or NPC's were anything amazing but not bad, especially for a mod.

d1r

Patron
i don't agree.. i played one a few days ago, took me around 12h to complete, so quite a large map(s). it took me a while to understand it was a mod (haven't played BG1 in 12-13 years), the graphics was absolutely seamless. I wouldn't say the quests or NPC's were anything amazing but not bad, especially for a mod.

Really would like to know what quest mod you were playing there, because I have seen a lot of stuff for BG1, and none of it was really standing out.

mkultra

Augur
Really would like to know what quest mod you were playing there, because I have seen a lot of stuff for BG1, and none of it was really standing out.

Not sure where you see me stating that it's "standing out". It's not, it's just more quests, more maps, more combat, it was decent fun.

I have no idea what the mod is called, since i have 110 mods installed and quite a few quests mods. The quest has a small town with a lighthouse and 2 warehouses, you're there to investigate (a murder and a stolen object). Sean Connery makes an appearance (portrait of him) - it's how i understood it was a mod..

d1r

Patron

Not sure where you see me stating that it's "standing out". It's not, it's just more quests, more maps, more combat, it was decent fun.

I have no idea what the mod is called, since i have 110 mods installed and quite a few quests mods. The quest has a small town with a lighthouse and 2 warehouses, you're there to investigate (a murder and a stolen object). Sean Connery makes an appearance (portrait of him) - it's how i understood it was a mod..

That sounds like Secret of Bonehill to me. And this mod recycles a LOT of maps + has horrible map art quality.

mkultra

Augur
That sounds like Secret of Bonehill to me. And this mod recycles a LOT of maps + has horrible map art quality.

Which maps does it recycle? i'm at the last chapter now of BG1 and they have not occurred anywhere else so far. The map art was great apart from one place which looked a little empty perhaps but not too bad. Maybe you were playing an early version.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You installed over 100 BG mods by using a mod manager and have no serious complaints?

You are not setting a high standard for taste or discernment.

ps Archwizard Hank look what’s gotten in the water since your LP started…

mkultra

Augur
You installed over 100 BG mods by using a mod manager and have no serious complaints?

You are not setting a high standard for taste or discernment.

Easy enough to see which mods have good ratings and which ones aren't as popular. So far its been balanced, fun. i have no idea how EET incorporates BG2 though, first time i run it..

As always with mods there's always a risk that something breaks (nothing yet) or gets really unbalanced but you can take a few moments googling whatever you download to see what people think, i did that to the bigger mods but not for every NPC mod or smaller additions. i've only recruited one mod NPC so far but it's pretty nice to have a way larger pool to chose from. Believe it or not but just because you have mods installed doesn't mean you have to use absolutely everything, just means more options. I did one mistake of installing some custom portraits for the original characters, it looked awful imo, easy enough to uninstall.

DLTCEP certainly makes it really easy, i would've never gotten through the trouble of installing more than perhaps 5-6 mods if it wasn't for DLTCEP, would've taken days.

Edit: and yes i said it took 1h to install, that's just the install part, it takes a very long time for it to download and install everything. before that i spent at least 2-3h researching the mods i selected in the program. that's the most time consuming part.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
All these EE fans just proving that you really can cashgrab with some terrible half-assed shit product as long as you get one or two things right somehow, take off the original product, mark yours up, and call it 'enhanced', and consumer will just consume.

mkultra

Augur
All these EE fans just proving that you really can cashgrab with some terrible half-assed shit product as long as you get one or two things right somehow, take off the original product, mark yours up, and call it 'enhanced', and consumer will just consume.

I bought it on sale (75% or 50% off i believe so very little money). Has a few additions over a modded BG that i personally prefer, each to his own and all that. I don't see a problem since it's hardly forced upon anyone.

If you want to make a cash grab there are far more easy options in the industry and which would appeal to a way, way larger crowd of people.

EE also means new and/or younger people are introduced to the series, that's a total win to anyone who's a fan of similar games since the demand for such games will go up.

CoronerZg

Scholar
CoronerZg I have a wealth of them, but Melcar is correct that the majority are available still through G3, SHS, and PPG. I have some really good mods that are more obscure, like shapeshifter improvements (sadras), wizard slayer improvements, and the absolutely outstanding wild mage spell expansion. The wild mage one is very difficult to find these days. This is mod list and install order I used prior to the EEs.

Game 1
Game 2
No CD Hack
Ascension
Wheels of Prophecy
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Baldur's Gate Trilogy Tweaks

--------------------
Baldur's Gate 1 Mods
--------------------
Baldur's Gate I Restored Narration
Baldur's gate Lightmaps
Baldur's Gate Unfinished Business
Baldur's Gate Mini-Quests & Encounters
NPCs
Baldur's Gate NPC Project
Level 1 NPCs
Sword Coast Strategems I
Baldur's Gate Tweaks

Baldur's Gate 2 Mods & Else
Baldur's Gate 2 Unfinished Business
Pocket Plane Group Quest Pack
Assassinations
Pocket Plane Banter
iepBanter
Baldur's Gate 2 Creature Fixer
Oversight
Rogue Rebalancing
Improved Horns
Item Revisions
One Pixel Productions
Baldur's Gate II Sheild Animation Fix
PnP Free Action
Wildmage Expansion
WizardSlayer Mod
Shapeshifter Mod
Spell Revisions
Picky Familiars
PnP Celestials
Sword Coast Strategems II
gMinion
Baldur's Gate II Tweaks
aTweaks
eSeries (PC Scripts)
WideScreen
Generalized Biffing
Throne of Bhaal Extender
Refinements
This looks great. Can I bother you to share it?

CoronerZg

Scholar
you don't use individual download links or even manually fix load / install orders etc nowadays.. you just download DLTCEP which has a built in database for ALL mods (BG1+2) and select/install via that program, it takes care of everything that you before had to do manually and was very time consuming.

I recently installed EET (BG1+2 combined) then DLTCEP, added 110 mods.. Took perhaps 1h which is way faster than reading for many hours (install orders etc) and then finding DL links.

Also I recommend the far superior EE, unless you're a retard, then don't use EE :)
Does this DLTCEP thing work with non-EE versions or is it only for EE?

And I did try downloading EE, even though Beamdog makes my skin crawl, but I didn't like it from the start. They changed the iconic cinematic into some shitty comic, then they even changed background for prologue also making it bland and ugly. And I was not able to change the resolution of the game, which would be the only reason to even make some kind of remake or new edition or whatever... anyway, didn't get pass that. Irked me too much so I uninstalled it.

Archwizard Hank

Learned
ps Archwizard Hank look what’s gotten in the water since your LP started…

I write 40 solid pages (or so my text editor tells me) of LP every month to warn you guys, not encourage you. Holy fuck. I mean, I really shouldn't have expected anything less, but god damn. Also update 16 is coming along nicely thanks for asking

Since I'm here and bound by the topic, I'd like to take this aside to blanketly warn anyone off of mods that advertise "HUGE AMOUNTS OF CONTENT!" or "OVER 200 NEW SPELLS!" or "HOURS OF GAMEPLAY!" or any other such ridiculous claim. While they will technically deliver on these claims, the problem with big mods (aside from the obvious issue of quantity being prioritized over quality) is that most of them just aren't very good at telling you what the hell you're supposed to do, and this is a terminal problem in the world of modding, where modders are intentionally cagey about things like walkthroughs and overall help because heaven forbid we "spoil the experience" for you. For a lot of mods, the only detailed walkthroughs you can find on the web aren't even for the latest versions you can download, so it's a crapshoot as to whether or not the listed solution is the solution that still works.

The best mods are smaller mods that focus on one specific idea and don't try to change too many facets of the game, as if I even have to state this. Stuff like smaller self-contained quests, short dungeons, or NPCs that don't try to make themselves the center of the game's universe. I'd also like to state for the record that automatic mod managers are a mistake. If you don't know what you're installing, chances are up to 75% of what the installer suggests for a "recommended installation" will be terrible.

In the interest of being constructive, here's at least one mod from my ridiculous mod list that stood out to me as being decent. There are a couple of others, but the modlist isn't in front of me at the moment so I don't have their names.
https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/glam-npc-pack/
I've only tested Vynd, and he seems to have originally been a standalone mod. I can't vouch for the other NPCs listed on this page, but Vynd is decent and jives fairly well with the rest of the game... Assuming you have the BG1 NPC Project enabled and the other vanilla NPCs are equally chatty. He kind of never shuts up.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom