Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
Item Revisions and Spell Revisions suck ass and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
No NPC mods. Except Imoen Romance mod. And if you do use that make sure to keep Jeheria in your party for the duration.
Absolutely no mods that add items. Except Item Upgrade. That shit is fun.

This is really good advice. All of it. Mod items are horrible (except IU), and the revisions mods are not good for a first playthrough (or Nth in my case, but I recognize not everyone has taste as good as mine).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
the mod that lets you have multiple strongholds if you're multiclassed/dual-classed
obviously only if you're multiclassed/dual-classed

I always do them all. More content, some interesting battles (with SCS), and not an overabundance of XP.

Thief stronghold sucks though. Even with that expanded thief stronghold mod.

1) Fighter
2) Mage
3) Paladin
4) Bard (story fag)
T5) Ranger
T5) Druid
7) Cleric
8) Thief.

Parabalus

Arcane
There's a mod which lets your NPCs claim strongholds, thought it was decent. No support for the EE npcs though.
Item Revisions and Spell Revisions suck ass and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
No NPC mods. Except Imoen Romance mod. And if you do use that make sure to keep Jeheria in your party for the duration.
Absolutely no mods that add items. Except Item Upgrade. That shit is fun.

This is really good advice. All of it. Mod items are horrible (except IU), and the revisions mods are not good for a first playthrough (or Nth in my case, but I recognize not everyone has taste as good as mine).

There's an additional Item Upgrade mod now, with placements and upgrades for some SoD items. Items are less batshit OP to boot.

There's an additional Item Upgrade mod now, with placements and upgrades for some SoD items. Items are less batshit OP to boot.

The mod name is a complete lie, only like 10% of it is more SoD items being imported into BG2. Most of it is random item buffs/upgrades (very overpowered) and, completely inexplicably and without mention in the mod description, about a dozen custom, overpowered spells.

PLHTALw.png

uh huh, potential 24d6 AoE damage from a level 6 spell (can spell sequence 3 of these at once, and I'm pretty sure the mod imports the item from SoD that lets you cast spell sequencer at the start of BG2

WmciZrL.png

FORTY DEE SIX fireball. This is the same level you'd get delayed blast fireball which does 15d6

wAQS15c.png

Ahh yes just what everyone needed, a more powerful version of cloudkill. Thankfully the holocaust is a made up fantasy spell. The cut off text is about it delivering per-second poison damage to whoever fails a save at -8, which interrupts spell casting and all that cool stuff.

MdnGlUB.png

Why not, that saving throw looks reasonable for a spell that can hit every round for 10 rounds and stack fatigue regardless of saves. Let alone the massive level drain you can inflict.

Item-wise to give you a taste of the overpoweredness, just consider that the mod lets you upgrade the Robe of Vecna. There's also additional items that buff casting speed and spell damage even more. Imagine having like -8 casting speed and +25% fire/magic damage inflicted for Edwin while you stuff 3 multi-fireball spells into a chain contingency so that edwin starts battles off with 12 fireballs dealing 120d6 +25% damage. Then you throw out a spell sequencer with 72d6 damage. And if you want you can easily maximize their fatigue with multiple stacked devouring darknesses so they take maximum damage from these spells too.

Frankly Beamdog was actually very good about exactly what imported into SoD: nothing terribly overpowered, but some useful equipment for a few underpowered characters/classes and one item that really makes a crappy class playable (bard hat that lets you sing and still do stuff).

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
One thing I really like about Weimer's Item Upgrade Mod is that it makes certain weapons more powerful(for Throne of Bhaal mainly),not bordering on "D&D Artifact of Deific Power" level,but rather vastly extending their usefulness. Weapon categories considered "weak" and lacking in genuine killing power(clubs and spears mainly) are greatly improved. However,DO NOT combine Carsomyr with the Soul Reaver,that shit is ridiculous even with the SCS Tactics Ascension trio installed.
The mods I genuinely like are the usual Tweaks and Fixpack stuff,Pnp Fiends(makes the Baatezu and Tanar'ri quite terrifying,as per pen and paper,fuck,the Pit Fiend can even cast Wish!),Pnp Celestials(turns your Planetar into a killing machine),and Pnp Undead(Undead are also a lot scarier with their deadly diseases,also,Greater Mummys can now cast divine spells as a level 19 Cleric).

Parabalus

Arcane

The mod name is a complete lie, only like 10% of it is more SoD items being imported into BG2. Most of it is random item buffs/upgrades (very overpowered) and, completely inexplicably and without mention in the mod description, about a dozen custom, overpowered spells.

PLHTALw.png

uh huh, potential 24d6 AoE damage from a level 6 spell (can spell sequence 3 of these at once, and I'm pretty sure the mod imports the item from SoD that lets you cast spell sequencer at the start of BG2

WmciZrL.png

FORTY DEE SIX fireball. This is the same level you'd get delayed blast fireball which does 15d6

wAQS15c.png

Ahh yes just what everyone needed, a more powerful version of cloudkill. Thankfully the holocaust is a made up fantasy spell. The cut off text is about it delivering per-second poison damage to whoever fails a save at -8, which interrupts spell casting and all that cool stuff.

MdnGlUB.png

Why not, that saving throw looks reasonable for a spell that can hit every round for 10 rounds and stack fatigue regardless of saves. Let alone the massive level drain you can inflict.

Item-wise to give you a taste of the overpoweredness, just consider that the mod lets you upgrade the Robe of Vecna. There's also additional items that buff casting speed and spell damage even more. Imagine having like -8 casting speed and +25% fire/magic damage inflicted for Edwin while you stuff 3 multi-fireball spells into a chain contingency so that edwin starts battles off with 12 fireballs dealing 120d6 +25% damage. Then you throw out a spell sequencer with 72d6 damage. And if you want you can easily maximize their fatigue with multiple stacked devouring darknesses so they take maximum damage from these spells too.

Frankly Beamdog was actually very good about exactly what imported into SoD: nothing terribly overpowered, but some useful equipment for a few underpowered characters/classes and one item that really makes a crappy class playable (bard hat that lets you sing and still do stuff).

I admit I didn't find any of the custom spells, didn't even know they are added. Should compare to how much of a gain it is to the usual ADHW spam though.

The items themselves never seemed too over the top, compared to original Item Upgrade mod - that one gives you immediate access to CF +5 and that ridiculous throwing spear.

The cleric spells you should see as soon as you reach the level since clerics get all spells.

CF +5 is only +2 damage/THAC0 over CF +3, and the THAC0 is mostly worthless for fighters by ToB. It's power creep but not exactly imbalanced. The Spear is a bit much though.

Parabalus

Arcane
The cleric spells you should see as soon as you reach the level since clerics get all spells.

CF +5 is only +2 damage/THAC0 over CF +3, and the THAC0 is mostly worthless for fighters by ToB. It's power creep but not exactly imbalanced. The Spear is a bit much though.

You don't get them automatically, not even clerics, I checked. Dunno if even sorcerers could select the mage ones.

The original IU also had some other bullshit, thinking the scimitar which gave you +100 HP from stacking debuffs and made your attacks ranged, rings which stack with everything, apart from giving you end of ToB weapons immediately.

These mods are unambiguously a power-up for the party though, so if that's an issue don't use either.

Are you sure you don't get them immediately? There's no other way for clerics to get spells. Sorcerers should get the new mage spells as normal. Maybe you installed an earlier version when it was just a SoD-to-BG2 item mod and the modder hadn't yet gone crazy adding everything that came to mind?

I don't have a problem with mods that powerup the player, just mods that slip in a bunch of new stuff that I didn't expect from the name or a quick glance at the readme. Especially for the sake of a new player who might play SoD before BG2 (poor thing) and install that thinking it's a fine normal thing to play BG2 with and keep his cool items he earned.

Also am I the only one who has an issue with mods that make Cromwell/Cespenar have a half hour of dialog to get through to forge a single weapon rather than breaking vanilla convention and just adding a multiple choice menu for item upgrades?

Parabalus

Arcane
Are you sure you don't get them immediately? There's no other way for clerics to get spells. Sorcerers should get the new mage spells as normal. Maybe you installed an earlier version when it was just a SoD-to-BG2 item mod and the modder hadn't yet gone crazy adding everything that came to mind?

I don't have a problem with mods that powerup the player, just mods that slip in a bunch of new stuff that I didn't expect from the name or a quick glance at the readme. Especially for the sake of a new player who might play SoD before BG2 (poor thing) and install that thinking it's a fine normal thing to play BG2 with and keep his cool items he earned.

Also am I the only one who has an issue with mods that make Cromwell/Cespenar have a half hour of dialog to get through to forge a single weapon rather than breaking vanilla convention and just adding a multiple choice menu for item upgrades?

I checked, I have 2.0.3, the latest is 2.0.5, but nothing was added.

The readme does state

Includes several new wizard and priest spells, placed in locations throughout the campaigns.

So I guess they are all one-offs you find.

Not sure what you mean by "keep cool items earned", this one places them throughout the campaign, kinda like the vanilla imports, you still start naked.

Both IU mods have both options for Cromwell dialogue available now, you can choose the one you like more.

I see spells like Conjure Shadow Elemental as level 6 cleric spells as soon as I reach the level to cast level 6 cleric spells. From what I can tell from reading the mod files (I'm not an expert on this) these spells should be installed for anyone who installs the main first component of the mod. I'm using 2.0.3 as well so I don't know what to tell you if you don't see it.

For mage spells I'm probably more likely to find them early/more often due to the SCS component that adds additional randomized mage scrolls to a lot of things. If you're not using it then I assume you should at least start seeing them in ToB.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I see spells like Conjure Shadow Elemental as level 6 cleric spells as soon as I reach the level to cast level 6 cleric spells. From what I can tell from reading the mod files (I'm not an expert on this) these spells should be installed for anyone who installs the main first component of the mod. I'm using 2.0.3 as well so I don't know what to tell you if you don't see it.

For mage spells I'm probably more likely to find them early/more often due to the SCS component that adds additional randomized mage scrolls to a lot of things. If you're not using it then I assume you should at least start seeing them in ToB.
What stats does the Shadow Elemental have?

It follows the other elemental spells in having a HD that is randomized between a few values. Spell says 60% chance for 12 HD, 35% chance for 16 HD, 5% chance for 24 HD.

This is the 16 HD version I think. The damage incorrect and doesn't show that it seems have what I think is a +1d10 magic and +1d10 cold damage bonus to its attacks, along with a save vs. death or be held.
Ao7EWh0.png
MG84Hlb.png
EEWI19O.png

Offense-wise it looks worse than the aerial servant, but it has elemental damage rather than physical, those resistances (aerial servant has none), and the potential held effect. 12 HD version loses 22 HP and 6 THAC0. The 16 HD version is really big though and would be a pain to handle while the 12 HD version is normal character size.

Also it can't be cast by clerics of good alignment btw.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

Looked into my log, for some reasons those spells skipped or were overwritten - the IWD ones it adds from a later component are there, hence why I thought they had to be found.

Guess I got lucky, you are completely right though that they make the mod very dubious.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

It follows the other elemental spells in having a HD that is randomized between a few values. Spell says 60% chance for 12HD, 35% chance for 16HD, 5% chance for 24HD.

This is the 16 HD version I think. The damage incorrect and doesn't show that it seems have what I think is a +1d10 magic and +1d10 cold damage bonus to its attacks, along with a save vs. death or be held.
Ao7EWh0.png
MG84Hlb.png
EEWI19O.png
Not too bad. Looks to be more powerful than the Fire Elementals,though I never really bothered to summon them that often.

Yeah, fire elementals don't get the resistances other than vs. fire. Even Earth Elementals seem to get no resistances (I guess its only shape shifted druids that get physical damage reduction?). So the spell is definitely significantly more powerful than other elementals. Which is a bit weird considering druids are suppose to be the elemental/summoning masters rather than clerics. Not sure if you'd consider it better than Aerial Servants though but Aerial Servants are kind of just busted anyway. They are almost as good as Devas, an HLA you get at 3M XP while you can spam Aerial Servants at 650k XP.

Twizman

Scholar
Hi there, got a few modding questions for Baldur’s Gate, would really appreciate any help.

What are the most significant additions to SCS for BG1 in the past 5 or so years? Interested to start a new run. I see Icewind Dale spells have been added - that’s cool! Don’t recall seeing that one.

Usually I ran BgTutu with the following mods: Fixpack, SCS, Npc Project, Minor quests and encounters, and Tweaks anthology. Would you recommend any other mods, or are there any good new ones?

Also interested to try BG1 Original. Noticed this addition to Tweaks:
‘Increase Party Movement Speed and/or Casting Speed Outside of Combat [argent77]’
That’s interesting, as it would mitigate the slower movement speed. Does it work well with Bg1 original?

Edit: Was there any fix made to change creature movement speed reciprocal to the speed buff BG2 gave humanoids? I’m cool with comfortably kiting creature mobs to level up, but it’s op poor non-Humanoids.

Thanks so much, love this game!

Last edited:

Carceri

Arcane
For the original BG 1, the gog version (non-enhanced), are the fixpack and text update patches from baldurdash still required?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
For the original BG 1, the gog version (non-enhanced), are the fixpack and text update patches from baldurdash still required?
Definitely install them if you want bugfixes and the like.
Avoid Tutu however,as it unbalances the game(it adds Baldur's Gate 2 class kits into the original Baldur's Gate).
The original is not meant to be played with kits,and was not designed around them.

Carceri

Arcane
Definitely install them if you want bugfixes and the like.
Avoid Tutu however,as it unbalances the game(it adds Baldur's Gate 2 class kits into the original Baldur's Gate).
The original is not meant to be played with kits,and was not designed around them.
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. I'm looking to play it as close to the original as possible, with maybe some qol improvements like increased ammo stacks and the likes.
Also, did the widescreen mod improved for BG1 during these years? I remember the gui was not centered.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. I'm looking to play it as close to the original as possible, with maybe some qol improvements like increased ammo stacks and the likes.
Also install increased potion stacks and the component which adds containers(gembags and bag of holding). You will find a lot of stuff and will have to store it somewhere. In vanilla there were no bags,so you had to regularly visit traders to sell items.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, it's a feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom