Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
As others said, that mod and all the large story ones are garbage Ed123, and not for technical reasons. The stories are bad, the writing is bad, the new mod art is bad and the items/spells always screw up the power curve. You will be an OP killing machine eventually, no reason to hasten it.

And don't forget that every huge quest mod reuses BG1 maps.

A horse of course

As others said, that mod and all the large story ones are garbage Ed123, and not for technical reasons. The stories are bad, the writing is bad, the new mod art is bad and the items/spells always screw up the power curve. You will be an OP killing machine eventually, no reason to hasten it.

CA uses Lionheart maps

Parabalus

Arcane
I feel like replaying Baldur's Gate 2 and other than the Ascension mod, is there anything in particular else that could improve the experience?

https://artisans-corner.com/ I've had my eye on this site for a while, but it'll be ages before I can be bothered to play BG:EE again, and I think all the mods here are for that abomination. I'd only do it to try out some mods and power builds for fun. Playing BG as a Warlock sounds fun for example, and there are some very interesting things done with the Beamdog kits.
Sirene is a tiefling paladin
LIp6wm5.png

That one is actually great as far as mod NPCs go. Some cool items too.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

CA uses Lionheart maps

What's CA if I may ask?.

The Limper

Educated

CA uses Lionheart maps

What's CA if I may ask?.

Classic Adventures. A series of pnp modules converted to the BG2 engine. Pretty good stuff…

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

CA uses Lionheart maps

What's CA if I may ask?.

Classic Adventure Pack has a lot of original map art content. Some of the new maps look pretty great. Not a quest mod for BG2 per sé because it's a completely different "module".

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah CA is a total conversion, meaning you start a new game. Is it actually finished? I remember it being left on hold for a long time.

Pulse

Educated
One question: Is it possible to solo SCS and Ascension? Without cheese (meaning no 10000 skull traps cheese or multiple Planetars)?

One question: Is it possible to solo SCS and Ascension? Without cheese (meaning no 10000 skull traps cheese or multiple Planetars)?

I have done it as Wildmage, Cavalier, and I either a Barbarian or a Wizard Slayer. Maybe both actually. The Cavalier wasn't intentional, but I had a litany of tragic rolls and events when fighting The Five + Irenicus and Bhodi which left my MC + Balthazar as the only characters standing before any of the enemies were killed. My Cavalier went on to finish it out alone.

:whiteknight:

Pulse

Educated

I have done it as Wildmage, Cavalier, and I either a Barbarian or a Wizard Slayer. Maybe both actually. The Cavalier wasn't intentional, but I had a litany of tragic rolls and events when fighting The Five + Irenicus and Bhodi which left my MC + Balthazar as the only characters standing before any of the enemies were killed. My Cavalier went on to finish it out alone.

As wildmage? That's pretty crazy. Don't you run out of spells? Or do you have to spam Project Image?

Wild mage has theoretically infinite spells through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer + Limited Wish's restoration of 4 low level spells.

As wildmage? That's pretty crazy. Don't you run out of spells? Or do you have to spam Project Image?

Definitely have to pull out all of the stops. I did lean in summons, like demons and Hakeshars. Judicious use of Project Image and Simulacrum for sure. Shapeshift is your friend, especially coupled with Timestop. By far the hardest part us fighting The Five. Illesera is the worst because if her arrows of dispelling. She is always enemy #1. Cold damage performs the best against this group, and sequencers of Cone of Cold are great for hitting the spellcaster foes hard. Also noteworthy, is that cold damage is the only type which will bypass Yaga Sura's total immunity. A sequencer with 3 Cone of Colds will do well against all enemies in this fight.

Nahal's Reckless Dweaomer is the clinch for this battle, not because you can reuse wish or other iconic spells, but because you can make new Sequencers and Contingencies repeatedly to do awesome things very quickly. One might think these fights are about endurance for a solo mage, but they are better won with shock and awe. Remember, each time you win a battle segment, you get to absorb Bhaal essence which refreshes you. Strongly feeling the urge to replay now.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Classic Adventures is the only decent megamod. Avoid all others like the absolute plague - they are extremely horrible.

Arvennios

Novice

CA uses Lionheart maps

What's CA if I may ask?.

Classic Adventures. A series of pnp modules converted to the BG2 engine. Pretty good stuff…
It's pretty good indeed, worth at least one playthrough, a shame the story is unfinished and you have to deal with many bugs.

Yeah, I used those two mods in my last game. Very convenient. It also gives you a timer for trap searching so you know when its safe to move forward and when you need to wait 0.5 more seconds to get your trap check.

bussinrounds

Augur
Has anyone messed with this Alter Hostile Rest Spawns option from the tweaks anthology ? I'm thinking about using it to make resting not as easy to abuse (I know you can just... not, enforce your own house rules, etc..) But something to help a little wouldn't hurt, right ?

There's options for decrease it by 50%, increasing it by 50%, double frequency, or quadruple frequency. Thinking about increasing it by 50%, as I don't want to go overboard. (gonna go with SCS on tactical)

Also any thoughts on the scs vs tweaks anthology versions of shapeshifter rebalancing ?

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Hi All

I have just finished BG1 EE and SoD and Im thinking of continuing with BG2 EE

I will do research on Beamdog but I would like some mod " must haves " for BG2. And if you can just summarize why you recommend a certain mod that would be appreciated

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Hi All

I will do research on Beamdog but I would like some mod " must haves " for BG2. And if you can just summarize why you recommend a certain mod that would be appreciated

SCS - The game difficulty level adjusts what SCS does. Playing on the lowest level is comparable to Core Rules+ in an unmodded game. If you click the "Fine Tune Difficulty" button in the options menu you can see what every difficulty level does to each SCS component and adjust accordingly. Also RTFM.
Tweaks Anthology - Use what you want.
Portraits Portraits Everywhere - Gives npc's portraits. You'd be surprised how good this mod is.
Item Upgrade - I play SCS on the second-highest level so I don't mind using this "cheat" mod. Plus it's fun to collect shit for Cromwell to upgrade instead of just selling everything.
Unfinished Business and Quest Pack are ok as far as quest mods go. There are certainly worse mods out there. Keep in mind there is enough shit to do without adding these.
Tower of Deception is pretty OK as well. Only standalone quest mod I install.
Ascension and Wheel of Prophecy change shit in ToB so probably not best on a first play through. Although Ascension was Gaider approved.

Item Revisions and Spell Revisions suck ass and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
No NPC mods. Except Imoen Romance mod. And if you do use that make sure to keep Jeheria in your party for the duration.
Absolutely no mods that add items. Except Item Upgrade. That shit is fun.

Edwin is the best NPC in any RPG ever.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Hi All

SCS - The game difficulty level adjusts what SCS does. Playing on the lowest level is comparable to Core Rules+ in an unmodded game. If you click the "Fine Tune Difficulty" button in the options menu you can see what every difficulty level does to each SCS component and adjust accordingly. Also RTFM.
Tweaks Anthology - Use what you want.
Portraits Portraits Everywhere - Gives npc's portraits. You'd be surprised how good this mod is.
Item Upgrade - I play SCS on the second-highest level so I don't mind using this "cheat" mod. Plus it's fun to collect shit for Cromwell to upgrade instead of just selling everything.
Unfinished Business and Quest Pack are ok as far as quest mods go. There are certainly worse mods out there. Keep in mind there is enough shit to do without adding these.
Tower of Deception is pretty OK as well. Only standalone quest mod I install.
Ascension and Wheel of Prophecy change shit in ToB so probably not best on a first play through. Although Ascension was Gaider approved.

Item Revisions and Spell Revisions suck ass and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
No NPC mods. Except Imoen Romance mod. And if you do use that make sure to keep Jeheria in your party for the duration.
Absolutely no mods that add items. Except Item Upgrade. That shit is fun.

Edwin is the best NPC in any RPG ever.
Thanks for the list, I have started going through Gibberlings, Beamdog and Spellhold and I will check out your suggestions

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom