Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale Bard's Tale 4: DC is Mint

Falksi

Arcane
It's fucking brilliant and deserves a LOT more love.

I get that it may be seen as decline to some, but honestly I don't know how a modern dev could take an old formula and blend it with modern QoL elements better to also make it work today.

It's funny, the TB combat is fucking brilliant, the exploration is well crafted, the sense of discovery awesome, the puzzles are fun and well paced, the music is delicious etc. etc.

This is easily a 9/10 game for me, possibly a 9.5/10, and a prime example of how to keep old games alive and relevant in a modern era of decline.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
just play the original
83252500342d79afa802cbd310cc7e0bef7efe53e04290e29ac44f41b9b319dc.jpg

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does it have bear sex?

Does every male companion including the squidman in your pocket try to seduce you, constantly and aggressively?

These are the things I look for in a great RPG in the current year.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I liked BT4 but the itemization is a low point. I have no idea why they went from a classic equipment and armor based gear system to the goofy set up they have in this game, where weapons are basically trinkets that just increase your attack power and/or grant perks. It is my biggest complaint with the game, but that said I also liked the combat. I realize that "liking the combat" means I have to take the goofy equipment mechanic but I feel like there was a way to split the difference.

Everything else I agree with -- good exploration, very good puzzles. It's a Brian Fargo game which means it is 30% longer than it needs to be, but I'm not going to complain about content. I would play a BT5 if they fixed the equipment thing and brought back some some of the original classes.

Mortmal

Arcane
the puzzles are fun and well paced

Rare opinion. Did you ever skip them?

Yes, I don't believe there are more than a few Codex members who appreciate it, and that's for valid reasons. It was marketed as a new installment in the Bard's Tale series, yet it's a completely different experience. The game leans more towards being a puzzle game with some RPG elements, bearing little resemblance to the old and comparatively primitive Bard's Tale games. While it's a good game in its own right, I can understand why some people might feel frustrated by this significant departure from the original concept.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I loved it too. Completed it and didn't skip anything. I liked the first half more because it was hard. Once the team was built and I figured out the combat, the second half was repetitive and dragged on a bit. But I still liked it. I also love M&M X Legacy.

agris

Arcane
Patron

I get that it may be seen as decline to some, but honestly I don't know how a modern dev could take an old formula and blend it with modern QoL elements better to also make it work today.

It's funny, the TB combat is fucking brilliant, the exploration is well crafted, the sense of discovery awesome, the puzzles are fun and well paced, the music is delicious etc. etc.

This is easily a 9/10 game for me, possibly a 9.5/10, and a prime example of how to keep old games alive and relevant in a modern era of decline.
Did you beat it? This reads like you’re 1/4 to 1/3 into the game and haven’t realized yet how monotonous it is

Falksi

Arcane

Did you beat it? This reads like you’re 1/4 to 1/3 into the game and haven’t realized yet how monotonous it is
I've beat it before and I'm just replaying it on a harder setting. I also break up these games by playing arcade style games such as Revenge of Shinobi, Atomic Runner, Hellfire etc. every few hours to keep things fresh. Always done that with all RPGs.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well, more power to you for liking it. I didn’t play DC, but I did play the patched original and found it monotonous, with brain-dead puzzles that only served to draw out the tedious maps.

As Decado said, the itemization is also a drag as you hit the deep end of the loot pool about 1/2 to 2/3 into the game. After that, you stop finding better items and just find different versions of bad. Combine that with the combat and encounter system that, while promising at the beginning, turns rote by mid-game, there just isn’t much that kept me playing. And I played on the hardest difficulty and did all the optional fights the moment I found them, not over leveling and then returning to them later.

It was the best inXile game I’ve played, which is really damning them with faint praise.

(haven’t played WL3 or Attack Chopter HD)

BruceVC

Magister

I loved it, the puzzles were tough and I had to use guides for some of them like the ones with the blood\liquid and how you had to get it to flow in a certain direction but I was comfortable with the fairy golf and most other puzzles

And the combat was strategic and worthwhile

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
the races, the itemization, and the character progression all sucked donkey balls. Combat was ok, puzzle density was ok.

It didn't play like a Bard's Tale game (forgivable) and wasn't an oldschool game in spirit and execution (unforgivable). One of my most regretted purchases.

agris

Arcane
Patron
anvi while we seem to be of opposite mind in this thread, you should check out dark souls 1 if you haven’t. Actually gives me real strong OG EverQuest vibes, I’m surprised

Falksi

Arcane

I loved it, the puzzles were tough and I had to use guides for some of them like the ones with the blood\liquid and how you had to get it to flow in a certain direction but I was comfortable with the fairy golf and most other puzzles

And the combat was strategic and worthwhile
It's just so enjoyable to be playing an adventure based game where I actually feel like I'm on an old-school adventure. Riddles & puzzles are far too sparse in modern RPG gaming.

BT4:DC is the kind of game us 'Dexers need more of, AAA production values (well, almost), modern QoL features, but all built around old-school gaming philosophies.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's a Brian Fargo game which means it is 30% longer than it needs to be
50%.

Also yes, puzzles are great but. There's. Too. Fucking. Many. Of. Them. Shit stopped being fun half-way through.

Also the writing was irritatingly fanfic.

Also music pretty but repetitive.

Also loot utterly retarded. A healing potion and a handful of coins at the end of an epic dungeon. How is Jesus not punishing developers for this shit?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So no playing these?

IMG_9145.jpeg

IMG_9146.jpeg

Or

Ahem…

underworld-ascendant---button-fin-1576876008625.jpg

I kid on the last one…. Although, if gog did have it I might play it.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Puzzles are p. gud, but there are too many of them plus they get repetitive half-way through. Having to solve your 397th dwarven cog puzzle tends to sap the fun out of the mid game and later.
Having many is not a problem, so they're good but there's no variety?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Puzzles are p. gud, but there are too many of them plus they get repetitive half-way through. Having to solve your 397th dwarven cog puzzle tends to sap the fun out of the mid game and later.
Having many is not a problem, so they're good but there's no variety?
Plenty of variety for 20+ hours but not for the 50 that it took me on my first run. Without the DLC.

And yes, quality-wise they are good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom