Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Because some "run-of-the-mill" fights are among the most dangerous? And you fight those kind more than once per game? It clearly seems that you don't play ironman.
What fights would that be?

Also 'lol' @ you being snarky all over this thread.
What? I might be if you claim so, in fact i have a tendency to be "snarky" or whatever sometime but why would decide to claim that after my last post? There wasn't anything "snarky" at all in this one. Are you the one being "snarky" here, or perhaps too sensitive?

All the dangerous fights that happen, many times per game. Attacking a big camp, fights during a crisis, especially against a noble/southern army, wurms, possibly hexes with some strong bodyguards, some late(r) game undead armies, hell even a large group of Nachos with the big ones can be very dangerous if you don't pay attention. Fights where you can loose one bro are bad even if you win the battle. And you fight tons of those. The reason I mentioned ironman is because to me ironman is a game of attrition. You can be at your best during a few battles but you can't be (or precisely, I can't) during every battle. You mostly make mistakes during those regular but dangerous battles and bros die. Those battles are the ones that matter most in the long run, even if they aren't hardest per se.
In addition perhaps its a different way to play not just ironman? I never play past ~2nd crisis or so. Perhaps i never become so OP to treat many battles as trivial which comes later.
'It clearly seems that you don't play ironman' in combination with your posts on the previous pages seemed snarky. Nevermind then.

Anyway, I play ironman on Expert and clearing every legendary location doesn't take longer than 'past the 2nd crisis'. Probably helps I play poachers and always know what I fight. *shrug*

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Because some "run-of-the-mill" fights are among the most dangerous? And you fight those kind more than once per game? It clearly seems that you don't play ironman.
What fights would that be?

Also 'lol' @ you being snarky all over this thread.
What? I might be if you claim so, in fact i have a tendency to be "snarky" or whatever sometime but why would decide to claim that after my last post? There wasn't anything "snarky" at all in this one. Are you the one being "snarky" here, or perhaps too sensitive?

All the dangerous fights that happen, many times per game. Attacking a big camp, fights during a crisis, especially against a noble/southern army, wurms, possibly hexes with some strong bodyguards, some late(r) game undead armies, hell even a large group of Nachos with the big ones can be very dangerous if you don't pay attention. Fights where you can loose one bro are bad even if you win the battle. And you fight tons of those. The reason I mentioned ironman is because to me ironman is a game of attrition. You can be at your best during a few battles but you can't be (or precisely, I can't) during every battle. You mostly make mistakes during those regular but dangerous battles and bros die. Those battles are the ones that matter most in the long run, even if they aren't hardest per se.
In addition perhaps its a different way to play not just ironman? I never play past ~2nd crisis or so. Perhaps i never become so OP to treat many battles as trivial which comes later.
'It clearly seems that you don't play ironman' in combination with your posts on the previous pages seemed snarky. Nevermind then.

Anyway, I play ironman on Expert and clearing every legendary location doesn't take longer than 'past the 2nd crisis'. Probably helps I play poachers and always know what I fight. *shrug*
You play ironman and you really find the unique fights the biggest issue? They are hard but they are also few (and not even obligatory). Interesting. I believe you but it is different for me. This is why I, wrongly, assumed you don't play ironman. Perhaps you are capable of maximum concentration in every or most fights which i'm lacking, I only play at my best in the biggest fights. I brute force through many smaller fights which leads to dangerous situations. Or you are simply a better player than me.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
As long as you can choose what and when to fight, ironman isn't a problem. Cheap tanks aren't hard to find, at low level easy to replace, at high level extremly hard to kill. With all the shenanigans you can do with quick, nimble and dodgy polearm wielders, enemies get very few attacks off in 'regular' fights.

(You'll need a good start though, and I'm not one of the guys who storm Black Monolith on day 30 with a group of beggars and cripples.)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Has anyone tried mass guns?
I tried it with 'Fearsome' gunners, because I heard many people loved it.

The results where underwhelming and the micromanagement annoyed me. Nevermind that 'Fearsome' is of course useless in many fights, including 3 of the 4 toughest legendary ones - if not all of them.

If you want to play something fun, install Legends + PTR.
Play 1/2 2H swordmen with the kata perk (one free move toward an enemy you can reach after a kill), +50% fatalities and the sanguinary perk giving you +3/4AP for a fatality and berserk of course + full fatigue recovery and damage.

Mass destruction against swarms of enemies.

It's way more fun than guns, probably even better on a berserker origin, although, i prefer my berserker specialized in survival and single target high damage.

Last edited:

The results where underwhelming and the micromanagement annoyed me. Nevermind that 'Fearsome' is of course useless in many fights, including 3 of the 4 toughest legendary ones - if not all of them.

Play 1/2 2H swordmen with the kata perk (one free move toward an enemy you can reach after a kill), +50% fatalities and the sanguinary perk giving you +3/4AP for a fatality and berserk of course + full fatigue recovery and damage.

It's way more fun than guns, probably even better on a berserker origin, although, i prefer my berserker specialized in survival and single target high damage.
Does PTR still have enemy balance problems? In older versions things like all Honour Guards getting Follow Up made some fights near impossible.

gogis

Scholar

Does PTR still have enemy balance problems? In older versions things like all Honour Guards getting Follow Up made some fights near impossible.
I just went through several PTR runs and my conclusion it's mature enough to be a straight up upgrade to unbalanced mess which is current vanilla Legends. They need to merge it quicker. Weapon masteries matter, medium armor actually fun to use and game is often gloriously frightening in a good way, since enemies have access to all perk goodies too. I didn't found follow-up to be as threatening as you describe, but I generally tackle empire sites late and regard them as relatively end game content. So when I come, I crush, follow-up notwithstanding. Fully recommend, I don't get guys still playing vanilla, it's eye-gougingly boring. Only one thing I still hate in legends is armor layers. It's tedious as fuck, but it's likely unviable to play without (probably not anymore, since most of your frontline will be medium armor, idk)

Darth Canoli

Arcane

They do but they don't over-use it.
Well, don't fight honor guards until you're ready, they're a high level threat.

Sure, it makes some fights extremely hard.
Champions lindwurms and stolwurms are hell in big packs and you don't want to take white wolves legendary contracts but at some point, when you finally have all the named equipment you've always dreamed of enchanted by your vala and with the best crafted attachments, full party of hedge knights/master swordsmen and the likes, the white wolves contracts and big wurms packs are something to look forward to.

I just went through several PTR runs and my conclusion it's mature enough to be a straight up upgrade to unbalanced mess which is current vanilla Legends. They need to merge it quicker. Weapon masteries matter, medium armor actually fun to use and game is often gloriously frightening in a good way, since enemies have access to all perk goodies too. I didn't found follow-up to be as threatening as you describe, but I generally tackle empire sites late and regard them as relatively end game content. So when I come, I crush, follow-up notwithstanding. Fully recommend, I don't get guys still playing vanilla, it's eye-gougingly boring. Only one thing I still hate in legends is armor layers. It's tedious as fuck, but it's likely unviable to play without (probably not anymore, since most of your frontline will be medium armor, idk)
Haven't actually played Legends with PTR yet. When it first came out there were allegedly some balance issues but it sounds like they've sorted it. Definitely a goer for my next Legends run.

Payd Shell

Arcane
So I've tried guns and they're a mixed bag. Very good in prolonged fights like you get during the noble war, with footmen blocking the back ranks. With guns you can just blast away at the backline because they don't get the cover penalty other ranged weapons get, you just get a -10% to accuracy for each tile behind the first, meaning you can shred billmen quite easily. They're also good against lindwurms to an extent because you can hit both the tail and the head. Sadly, that's about it - sure you can cleave through rabble like thugs or zombies like a hot knife through butter but those fights don't give you any trouble anyway. Also, the moment guns become somewhat viable is the stage of the game where your frontline should annihlate the enemy frontline quite easily. But if RNG isn't on your side and you get a slogfest with shieldwalling footmen guns help quite a bit.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Ifrits were a letdown even before the update was released.

Everyone was expecting something like this:

d6dqma7-007853be-2a32-4ff2-9f18-2e5617855214.jpg

Then they come up with this shit:

ifrit5.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
So I've tried guns and they're a mixed bag. Very good in prolonged fights like you get during the noble war, with footmen blocking the back ranks. With guns you can just blast away at the backline because they don't get the cover penalty other ranged weapons get, you just get a -10% to accuracy for each tile behind the first, meaning you can shred billmen quite easily. They're also good against lindwurms to an extent because you can hit both the tail and the head. Sadly, that's about it - sure you can cleave through rabble like thugs or zombies like a hot knife through butter but those fights don't give you any trouble anyway. Also, the moment guns become somewhat viable is the stage of the game where your frontline should annihlate the enemy frontline quite easily. But if RNG isn't on your side and you get a slogfest with shieldwalling footmen guns help quite a bit.

I found them very effective vs goblins too. They can aim uphill nicely, very useful against forts.

Fargus

Arcane
Ifrits were a letdown even before the update was released.

Everyone was expecting something like this:

d6dqma7-007853be-2a32-4ff2-9f18-2e5617855214.jpg

Then they come up with this shit:

ifrit5.jpg

Yeah, i was disappointed with their design. Nothing more exciting than fighting a piece of rock, eh...

Fn1bln.gif

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, them and the walking sleeping pills are probably the 2 worst - as in least interesting - enemy types in the game.

Fake News, I find the Alps quite fun and easy to deal with but with some interesting mechanics and Legends adds Demon Alps which makes it even more interesting with the "old" shadows thing on top of it.

Jrpgfan Exactly, not only their Ifrit is just an earth elemental but they added their re-composition mechanics which only makes the fight extra tedious.
Worst of all, no mod ever removed Ifrits from the game so I just skip their contracts and usually avoid them on the map.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, them and the walking sleeping pills are probably the 2 worst - as in least interesting - enemy types in the game.

Fake News, I find the Alps quite fun and easy to deal with but with some interesting mechanics and Legends adds Demon Alps which makes it even more interesting with the "old" shadows thing on top of it.

Jrpgfan Exactly, not only their Ifrit is just an earth elemental but they added their re-composition mechanics which only makes the fight extra tedious.
Worst of all, no mod ever removed Ifrits from the game so I just skip their contracts and usually avoid them on the map.
It's not "news", it's called an "opinion". :smug:

Maybe there are some interesting variation of Alps but that's Legends. The vanilla sleeping pills are not only easy as you admitted yourself (this is not a good thing!) but each fight with them is the same. A bad combination if you ask me. How is that interesting is beyond me but i suppose it's a matter of preference. And ifrits suck too. In general it's hard to have an interesting fight when you have only one type of enemies with only one or two types of action. You at very least need to make it dangerous and/or have tension to the fight (as in, for example, one bad move or bad positioning can be fatal), Alps are neither. They are better that Iffrits but only because of slightly shorter fights (at least it feels that way to me) and Alps have better lore or more precisely lore is better tied to the mechanics. Iffrits - as others have pointed out - you expect dangerous strange or magic beings and get... bunch of rocks.

Brancaleone

Prophet

It's not "news", it's called an "opinion". :smug:

Maybe there are some interesting variation of Alps but that's Legends. The vanilla sleeping pills are not only easy as you admitted yourself (this is not a good thing!) but each fight with them is the same. A bad combination if you ask me. How is that interesting is beyond me but i suppose it's a matter of preference. And ifrits suck too. In general it's hard to have an interesting fight when you have only one type of enemies with only one or two types of action. You at very least need to make it dangerous and/or have tension to the fight (as in, for example, one bad move or bad positioning can be fatal), Alps are neither. They are better that Iffrits but only because of slightly shorter fights (at least it feels that way to me) and Alps have better lore or more precisely lore is better tied to the mechanics. Iffrits - as others have pointed out - you expect dangerous strange or magic beings and get... bunch of rocks.
Exactly. And the problem is, their gimmicks instead a forcing any kind of tactical dilemma onto you, they force you to repeat that same thing a mind-numbing number of times, since you basically have to grind them down (the ifrits because of the fusion thing, the alps because of their teleport on hit, which means you usually hit a different one most of the time). The alps are even worse, because they make formation meaningless, you just have to keep the blob and hit the closest one, wake up, rinse and repeat.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Exactly. And the problem is, their gimmicks instead a forcing any kind of tactical dilemma onto you, they force you to repeat that same thing a mind-numbing number of times, since you basically have to grind them down (the ifrits because of the fusion thing, the alps because of their teleport on hit, which means you usually hit a different one most of the time). The alps are even worse, because they make formation meaningless, you just have to keep the blob and hit the closest one, wake up, rinse and repeat.

How is it different from nachos, wieldergangers, spiders, hyenas, serpents and the likes?

Besides, even the most complex battles aren't really interesting, tactical wise, it's always the same old encounter design or worse, randomly shuffled formation in the woods with no visibility.

How are the Alps encounters more mind-numbing?
I think it's a breath of fresh air because it introduces interesting different mechanics.
Just like the hexes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom