Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

pippin

The last thing you said is the problem: the answer people got when they questioned the appearance of usually high level monsters in lower leves was "bad players have the right to have fun too", which was understood as a variation of the "lol gamers are dead" theme, particularly from the perspective of how the git gud shit is supposed to be offensive or something like that.

Lhynn

Arcane
He's talking about Sword Coast Legends, not SoD. And, while I haven't played it, my understanding is that you're whacking liches left and right like regular mobs.
Yeah, but as far as i know it has the monster manual stats, so i dont care. If your level 9 party can deal with that, let them. Besides said encounters are both challenging and optional.

Theldaran

Liturgist
What are you smoking? Nintendo is the only company that won't be killed. If anything, the xbone is more likely to be killed at this point. I mean, Windows is really trying to force you to use it no matter what, even if you don't own a console.
Well, Nintendo has the most niche audience of the console market. A very loyal audience, and Nintendo is synonymous with quality, but in today's market you need moar. Exactly the same problem of niche Beamdog (but they are way more limited in followers and largely lack Nintendo's prestige and position)

pippin

What are you smoking? Nintendo is the only company that won't be killed. If anything, the xbone is more likely to be killed at this point. I mean, Windows is really trying to force you to use it no matter what, even if you don't own a console.
Well, Nintendo has the most niche audience of the console market. A very loyal audience, and Nintendo is synonymous with quality, but in today's market you need moar. Exactly the same problem of niche Beamdog (but they are way more limited in followers and largely lack Nintendo's prestige and position)

I must ask you again what do you understand for "niche". There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft don't even bother to compete against Nintendo, and it's because they are just too big to be fought. You are talking about the company who practically invented and still owns gaming when it comes to the mainstream in the american continent. The fact that the PS2 might have sold more doesn't mean that Nintendo isn't the most powerful gaming company. Again, other companies just prefer to ignore them and don't even dream of making a portable system of their own, because that's like having a death wish. I wonder if Nintendo is too kid friendly for you and that's why you look down on them.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
He's talking about Sword Coast Legends, not SoD. And, while I haven't played it, my understanding is that you're whacking liches left and right like regular mobs.
Yeah, but as far as i know it has the monster manual stats, so i dont care. If your level 9 party can deal with that, let them. Besides said encounters are both challenging and optional.
then a level 1 beholder, whatever.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No they don't. They use same crappy modified stats and abilities player characters do. Also all enemies always were scaled to level of the party. That is what the lvl 1 lich or beholder thing came from. If you entered a dungeon with your lvl 1 party that had a preplaced Lich it was also lvl 1.

But the main problem of SCL is that it didn't feel like D&D at all. Everything was just a lookalike of D&D. Kind of like you order a mushroom soup and you get Death Cap (Amanita phalloides) soup. Yea it seems like a ordinary mushroom soup but this one kills you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
like a level 1 lich?
Technically a lich can be of any level. Its merely a template you add to creatures. Its usually casters, but you can get someone else to create the phylactery for you.
Tho i probably put more thought into this than beamdog ever did if its true that there is one.
Lich cannot be of any level. At least not in 3e (don't know about 5e, when I read the books I don't remember any rules for becoming a lich), you had to have a minimal level for the process of becoming a lich to work.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I must ask you again what do you understand for "niche". There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft don't even bother to compete against Nintendo, and it's because they are just too big to be fought. You are talking about the company who practically invented and still owns gaming when it comes to the mainstream in the american continent. The fact that the PS2 might have sold more doesn't mean that Nintendo isn't the most powerful gaming company. Again, other companies just prefer to ignore them and don't even dream of making a portable system of their own, because that's like having a death wish. I wonder if Nintendo is too kid friendly for you and that's why you look down on them.
PS2? Come on. This isn't the early 2000s. This is 2016, a wicked era of post-modernism, and the console market is in dire straits. Not the PS4 -it has the most loyal following, and it's the winner of the generation by a pinch.

As you might know, Nintendo is introducing its next console, codenamed NX, March 2017. The other companies have also talked of replacing current platforms. Should Nintendo get the same result as with the Wii U (that is, NOT clearly improving sales), it could very well release no more hardware and become a third party, much like Sega.

By the way, Nintendo following is estimated by some at 13 million. The current generation damaged Nintendo's finances greatly, but they held up because of the awesome earnings of original Wii (that was, you know, aimed at the general public more than to gamers). All of this is info from fresh sources, and I doubt they are in the wrong.

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh welp, i misread infis post and that led down a chain of retarded misquotes. I was talking about beamdog crap, not nspace turd.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PS2? Come on. This isn't the early 2000s. This is 2016, a wicked era of post-modernism, and the console market is in dire straits. Not the PS4 -it has the most loyal following, and it's the winner of the generation by a pinch.

As you might know, Nintendo is introducing its next console, codenamed NX, March 2017. The other companies have also talked of replacing current platforms. Should Nintendo get the same result as with the Wii U (that is, NOT clearly improving sales), it could very well release no more hardware and become a third party, much like Sega.

By the way, Nintendo following is estimated by some at 13 million. The current generation damaged Nintendo's finances greatly, but they held up because of the awesome earnings of original Wii (that was, you know, aimed at the general public more than to gamers). All of this is info from fresh sources, and I doubt they are in the wrong.

You guys took my troll post way more seriously than I expected

Theldaran

Liturgist
No, we're just mixing up things here. Let's go back to shitting on... I mean discussing... Beamdog and its new monster.

Lhynn

Arcane
like a level 1 lich?
Technically a lich can be of any level. Its merely a template you add to creatures. Its usually casters, but you can get someone else to create the phylactery for you.
Tho i probably put more thought into this than beamdog ever did if its true that there is one.
Lich cannot be of any level. At least not in 3e (don't know about 5e, when I read the books I don't remember any rules for becoming a lich), you had to have a minimal level for the process of becoming a lich to work.
In theory caster level 13 with create wondorous items feat to create the phylactery . In practice you only need to create the phylactery, and there can easily be other ways of making one, maybe even via a carefully worded wish, so no real hard level requirement, there are other ways of creating it or having someone make it for you and cede ownership, which are outside the scope of the rules but not really forbidden by them.

Use your imagination bro, hard level reqs are mmo crap.

Theldaran

Liturgist
No they don't. They use same crappy modified stats and abilities player characters do. Also all enemies always were scaled to level of the party. That is what the lvl 1 lich or beholder thing came from. If you entered a dungeon with your lvl 1 party that had a preplaced Lich it was also lvl 1.

But the main problem of SCL is that it didn't feel like D&D at all. Everything was just a lookalike of D&D. Kind of like you order a mushroom soup and you get Death Cap (Amanita phalloides) soup. Yea it seems like a ordinary mushroom soup but this one kills you.
You should be more inclusive, there could be level 1 baby beholders. One isn't born with the wisdom, only amazing people like Amber Scott do.

Mustawd

You should be more inclusive, there could be level 1 baby beholders. One isn't born with the wisdom, only amazing people like Amber Scott do.

Never forget...

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/2984-feature-request-static-creature-levels/

No, because the entire point os the DM mode is for any character to be able to do the missions

The whole point is to be INCLUSIVE not exclusive to certain level ranges

in this case, this option WOULD hurt everyone actually. Because people would make their missions for certain levels, which means if you wanted to play them, you either grind a character up to that level, or hope you have a character that fits, otherwise you are screwed, it would also mean many would use that option over the any level option because they like being exclusive to certain levels.

What happens if you get a team of level 2's and 3's and they are fighting against a dragon, according to everyone here, they should be dieing no matter what, because that dragon should not be killable by such low levels......that helps no one and will just make people hate you as a DM or the dungeons you create. Okay, put a level recommendation there........and the first problem i mention come up and DOES limit it to certain people.

Why is saying "I want to limit the people who play my games" more inclusive then saying otherwise?

Also, yeah, pokemon has level scaling in multiplayer, everything scales to level 50, so it does not matter what level your Pokemon are, everyone can participate. You can have level 50's and your friends has level 100's, you can still fight against each other and alongside each other without issue, so thanks for bringing up proof of my point of not excluding people simply for not having the right character level.

That was approaching fluent levels of retarded.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Also, who exactly are you people to decide who can or cannot become a lich? Equal rights, suckers!

Neanderthal

Arcane
Weren't there a chance o death when drinkin potion that made you a Lich? More levels you had an safer it were, less more likely to kark it.

Or were that someat else.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Theres a good chance this Amber Scott got put in a position where she cannot do as much harm to the quality of their next game, following the aftermath of the negative response to her "writing skills", and thats also the reason she left the company.

Becoming a "PR manager" after being directly involved in the writing of a game doesnt sound too much like a step up in the career ladder to me.

If thats the case, then cudos to Trent for removing the tumor of their writing staff.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
like a level 1 lich?
In 5E a lich is a specific creature with set stats, not a template. There's not yet any rules for becoming one, just some fluff about how they were once powerful spellcasters.

There will probably never be any formal rules for becoming a lich in 5E, stuff like that is left to DM discretion in the current rules philosophy.

Lhynn

Arcane
In 5E a lich is a specific creature with set stats, not a template. There's not yet any rules for becoming one, just some fluff about how they were once powerful spellcasters.

There will probably never be any formal rules for becoming a lich in 5E, stuff like that is left to DM discretion in the current rules philosophy.
Best part of 5th edition.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Theres a good chance this Amber Scott got put in a position where she cannot do as much harm to the quality of their next game, following the aftermath of the negative response to her "writing skills", and thats also the reason she left the company.

Becoming a "PR manager" after being directly involved in the writing of a game doesnt sound too much like a step up in the career ladder to me.

If thats the case, then cudos to Trent for removing the tumor of their writing staff.

No, she just moved away. She's done at Beamdog as far as I know.

So, I dunno. This was in addition to the job posting on page 1 of this thread, so there are 2 (or more) openings now on Gaider's staff.

Xeon

Augur
She still posts in the forum and her posts in blue, blue are for devs and staffs only I think.

Sacibengala

Prophet
that's a cake i'd never put a finger into.
CmO9m8bUgAA90iT.jpg:large

Tom Selleck

Arcane
...So what do you think this game is? Baldur's Gate III? A spinoff?

(Also this clown was mad because he would sex Amber Scott, and most straight men wouldn't, right?)

A lot has happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom