Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I've never played Siege of Dragonspear, but I did play Baldur's Gate II: Enchanced Edition, and their companion writing combined the absolute worst qualities of your standard Bioware character checklist with absolutely none of the banter that made them somewhat endearing, so I've got no real hope for any other original material from them.

Saxon1974

Prophet
People have put up with this bullshit for awhile. They fire back now so easily because playing the bigger man doesn't work and just lets them walk wild over everyone else.

It's similar to the passive bullshit the Republican party keeps up giving the field to the Democrats and their vitriol that their voter base is sick of and is one of the prime reasons why Trumps rhetoric is so popular not simply for what he says but that he is saying it at all.
Ding ding! We have a winner!

I'm pretty anti-SJW though, for the most part -- especially after going back to college to change my career. Place is ground zero.

Problem is my method of resistance entails not being triggered by them, because getting triggered suggests weak nerves, and SJWs want to crack the world in two in order to ensure nobody has their nerves tested.

Eventually I am going to react, but they're going to have to push the agenda way further than SoD did.

By react do you mean do something proactive or simply complain?

SJWs are Don Quixotes looking for their windmills (which is also my reading of the anti-SWJs exploding on Minsc's GG line), grasping for anything that allows them to assert their identities and beliefs. By "reacting" I mean giving them fodder for them to project their fantasies on.

Oh boy, one day you'll be in for a rude shock if you think SJW's have no power, still i'm not interested in debating the matter, i'm just happy to sit, watch and be entertained.

I somewhat agree with Morality, but there's a difference between SJWs seeking attention online, and SJWs actually intruding IRL.

When their agendas start infecting media that I consume for entertainment, then it is time to let my discontent be known. If they want, they can just ignore my bitching.

It's a completely different situation than them pontificating in their own little corners (e.g. Ghost buster bullshit and that one guy's youtube channel). In that case, complete apathy is best.

It feels like years ago now when we would just point and laugh at obscure tumblr posts, and thought none of this shit would bleed into the real world.

Instead it's infested university boards and curriculum (don't know about the USA but in Australia, government hires a lot from Universities through programs), business people fired for conservative views, legislation on new pronouns, invented SJW words slowly being incorporated into language, appearing at the UN, Duluth model and perpetrator programs even if you're found innocent (hilariously the first thing men have to say is that the are 'oppressors'), the rewriting of history along politically correct lines, Canada passing legislation to normalize zoophiliia, infestation of self-loathing among Europeans and Americans (and the related demonisation of men, particularly Caucasian men, FYI I'm Latino), medicating 'boisterous' young boys, educational programs along diversity lines targeting younger and younger children, censoring discussions on reddit, hiding conservative media on Facebook, etc, etc, etc.

Edit; It's not entirely true that it 'just appeared', they've slowly been taking over, they just recently got loud enough for people to start paying attention, now you can see what they've been busy doing.

Shhh, resistance is pointless. It will all be over soon. Close your eyes now, the pain will soon be gone. Twinkle twinkle little star...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I never said SJWs didn't have power, but that doesn't change the fundamental reality of human interactions, which is that power comes from everywhere and that in the long run guys like Trump make SJWs more powerful, not less. Much in the same way GWB's presidency made Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert more funny and not less ('funny' being the power of a comedian).

Mustawd

I never said SJWs didn't have power, but that doesn't change the fundamental reality of human interactions, which is that power comes from everywhere and that in the long run guys like Trump make SJWs more powerful, not less. Much in the same way GWB's presidency made Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert more funny and not less ('funny' being the power of a comedian).

Again, it's one thing to ignore them. I agree, that trying to respond to every little thing they say is counter-productive and is just giving them a platform to influence. However, one cannot be passive when it actually begins to influence your daily life. If SJWs infect a Baldur's Gate game, for example, you should at least voice your displeasure with it. If they just write something dumb on their blog, then you should probably just ignore it and not link it everywhere where people can actually see it.

It's that very reason that this forum has done a better job spreading SJW propaganda here than any SJW army ever could. We don't need to know every fucking thing in their head guys. So stop posting that crap all over this place.

Courtier

Prophet
Bros stop rising into the stratosphere with high brow analysis of politics and take a look at this specific thread and its use

-Announcement Beamdog will mak gaem
-Roody poos post info about Beamdobbs illustrious previous accomplishments and ass-trembling competence
-People see this and might now rethink buy gem
-Thanks obana god blessed american we saved codexian citizens yet again

we did it reddit!!

Azarkon

Arcane
"It's just a few lines in the game."

Yes, and how many lines not in the game?

That's my problem with this argument. It's not the content that exists that is a big deal, but the content that didn't - couldn't - exist because the SJW ideology forbid it. When you're a developer working under in SJW environment, you have to design around the "offenses" - the content that could be be perceived as offensive to some group, or as being not progressive - which for a company especially concerned with having a SJW image, could be a very large list. When even standard fantasy characters such as Safana and Jaheira are called out by one of the lead writers as being problems that have to be fixed, that says to me that their game is creatively constrained to an excessive degree. The effect of SJWs on developers is restrictive, rather than liberating, and that is both sad and a bit ironic.

Personally speaking, I don't have a problem with most progressive ideals. I don't think most people do. Strong female characters, LGBT characters, and inclusiveness are all design choices that I am able to support, preferably when they fit the narrative and setting, but that's simply an issue of solid writing. But what gets me is the need SJWs have of removing any content that does not fit into this progressive world view - without any regard of the value of such content both in stand alone and in juxtaposition. SJWs are the very example of political correctness, and take it much further than "polite." The total effect of their efforts is similar: a disingenuous portrayal of the world that is fundamentally alien - a "too clean" feeling that brings to mind such dystopian fiction as 1984.

When you take away the grime, the dirt, and the conflict, fiction loses its power. Much of Hollywood is progressive, but Hollywood directors understand that the best way to push progressive ideals is through showing how the world was/is when people fail to live up to them. Take a film such as The Imitation Game, as an example: it is designed to make us sympathetic to the plight of gays by showing us the actual struggles of a gay man in a society that considered them abominations. The director didn't shy away from depicting homophobia, worrying that it might "offend" people, because that was the goal. That's how you raise awareness. That's what mature writing does.

SJWs do the opposite. They censor, restrict, and twist. They take a character such as Safana, and tell us "no, this character cannot exist because it is offensive to women." In the SJW world, there are no weak women, no bad LGBTs, and no sympathy for traditional values, regardless of the fact that all three can and do exist. In the SJW world, tokenism is rife because the goal is not to depict the struggles of minorities, but to act as though we are all minorities, and therefore to miss the heart of the issue. Their tactics, in this, are more similar to that of totalitarian governments than liberal institutions, and it is therefore difficult for me to even consider SJWs liberal. They are, rather, more similar to fascists in their demand for ideological and social conformity.

pippin

What happened when Ultima 7 said it was ok to be gay? That was one line also. But I doubt Garriot +co did anything more to promote any sort of crap beyond one encounter, so the context really does matter. Besides, it sort of fits that Ultima dared to talk about social issues, because since 4 the franchise established itself as an rpg about society and its logics. Baldur's Gate was a game meant to be fun, a monster killing campaign with little to no grip on reality.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Again, it's one thing to ignore them. I agree, that trying to respond to every little thing they say is counter-productive and is just giving them a platform to influence. However, one cannot be passive when it actually begins to influence your daily life. If SJWs infect a Baldur's Gate game, for example, you should at least voice your displeasure with it. If they just write something dumb on their blog, then you should probably just ignore it and not link it everywhere where people can actually see it.

It's that very reason that this forum has done a better job spreading SJW propaganda here than any SJW army ever could. We don't need to know every fucking thing in their head guys. So stop posting that crap all over this place.

Doesn't really matter what we do, we ignored them (or more accurately didn't even realise they were there) for 20 years and they gained power and influence, people resist them and satirise them and they gain influence and power. It will succeed because government wants power for its own sake and under the pretext of social justice, they can achieve those ends.

cherry blossom is correct unfortunately, it's too late to reverse the tides of madness as we move to an an increasingly authoritarian dystopian tomorrow. That's why I don't mind reposts of SJW garbage for lulz, too late to stop this garbage.

On topic, with Gaider at the helm what we'll likely get is a low budget Dragon Age 4, bisexual characters all round and general garbage tier writing. 14 years ago somebody on the Bioware forums told Gaider he couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag and that's still true today.

Last edited:

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
14 years ago somebody on the Bioware forums told Gaider he couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag and that's still true today.

But write he did.

Examples of glorious Gaider writing.

http://goldenpigsy.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/dragon-age-calling-review.html

“The water was littered with bits of flotsam that pooled at the edges, lapping wetly against the stone…”

“Fiona was glad to be getting out of there finally."

http://goldenpigsy.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/dragon-age-stolen-throne-review.html

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

And that goes both ways, without the zealotry of PC speech police and other SJW nutjobs Trump would have been a harmless joke of a candidate.

Remaining on the thread's topic, you can see the consequences of SJWs behaviour in Beamdog's woes with their first standalone game. Sure, people might have overreacted but that's still arguably better than no reaction whatsoever to a worthless company like Beamdog blatantly inserting their current year identity politics into what is considered an old classic of the genre (outside Codex obviously). We're talking about hacks here, a company of glorified modders and Tumblr bloggers, I for one certainly won't lose any sleep over whether the backlash they received is proportionate to "offences committed".

Space Insect

Arcane
Besides just that, Beamdog really needed to learn to change their entire PR strategy. Their forum admin sent out a tweet crying for help to Jezebel and Anita and then banned anyone opposed to Beamdog on the steam forums or on Beamdog's own forums. Amber Scott, the infamous writer, is now the main PR person. The entire issue was only so big partly because their stupid decisions after release.

Xeon

Augur

Does this mean the writers for the extra characters in BGs added and SoD's story no longer will write for the next game. Kinda sucks to for people losing their jobs maybe but their stuff weren't all that great so kinda looking forward to the new game. Sorry.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The saddest thing I've seen today is that people are answering that question with utter earnestness. I'm not even asking for Codex-leveling trolling, but, "Good story"? Really?

Mustawd

Takes the term "development by committee" to a whole new level.

EDIT: CTRL+F "romance". 8 hits on first page.

:negative:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Does anybody have a credits list for Siege of Dragonspear? I'd like to try to find out which writer he's talking about.

Edit: Ah, here we go: http://press.siegeofdragonspear.com/

Hmmm.

It's her: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60107/beambard-out

Amber_Scott

I'm moving away from Edmonton this year for personal/family reasons, and given we need an in-house writing staff, I've put in my notice at Beamdog. This has been an amazing place to work and I'm sad to be leaving, especially because of all the great people I've met at the office and on the forums.

The timing's a little wonky, but for the best. With luck I'll circle back around to Beamdog from time to time and still be able to contribute to their awesome games.
smile.png

Nael

Arcane

Drowed

Arcane

The reciprocal is also true. I cannot envision Trump's meteoric rise in a pre-SJW world. A very similar phenomenon is happening in other countries - here in Brazil, the case is almost the same with the presence of Bolsonaro, which is a far-right figure (even if he himself doesn't identify as one). The insanities of SJW (and extremist "left" movements in general) has strengthened quite exotic figures that would be joke at any other time/context.

One thing feeds the other, and both monsters grow together. The fear is knowing that, in the end, either one winning is as scary as the next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom