Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It wasn't the sjw silliness that made Sods terrible, it was the overall game design, the linearity, the horrible writing, the silly plot, the shit combat and encounters, the Ui.

The only thing thing that this expansion did with competence were some of the backgrounds.

It is.

But do you even read read the dragonspear thread after it was released? Any sense of discussing actual gameplay design is drowned upon pages and pages of idiot GG-SJW arguments to the point of actual people wanting to discuss anything else about the expansion need to start a new thread. In the new thread people discuss of dumb the design and writing which are accompinied with perhaps a bit of good glittering parts here and there and that is it.

Ignored the thread not soon after and I am not bothering to check it now, but there pages upon pages that basically discuss a tranny character with 3 dialogue options.

Courtier

Prophet
I read it in its entirety and besides the outrage there was plenty of gameplay discussion and screens posted as people were playing, with commentary (on e.g. bugs), revelations about how fucked the entire plot is and of course the *lengthy* critiques by dudes like Gauldur's Bait

Ignored the thread
need to start a new thread

safespace.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I read it in its entirety and besides the outrage there was plenty of gameplay discussion and screens posted as people were playing, with commentary (on e.g. bugs), revelations about how fucked the entire plot is and of course the *lengthy* critiques by dudes like Gauldur's Bait

drowned upon pages and pages of idiot GG-SJW arguments

Sure, I read that too. Perhaps the most significant I still remembered was bubbles (or was it someone else?) critique of the whole final boss encounter and the shining lady motivation which doesn't make any sense. Which is then continued by more and way more post about Amber and tranny.

The creation of the new thread itself was because idiot GGs keep on piling useless posts one after another.

Beastro

Arcane
Problem is my method of resistance entails not being triggered by them, because getting triggered suggests weak nerves, and SJWs want to crack the world in two in order to ensure nobody has their nerves tested.

People have put up with this bullshit for awhile. They fire back now so easily because playing the bigger man doesn't work and just lets them walk wild over everyone else.

It's similar to the passive bullshit the Republican party keeps up giving the field to the Democrats and their vitriol that their voter base is sick of and is one of the prime reasons why Trumps rhetoric is so popular not simply for what he says but that he is saying it at all.

Courtier

Prophet
Your fellow codexers shitposting =/= evil ''gamergaters'' hijacking thread

It's the 64HD elephant in the room and you expect people to ignore it and stick to gameplay? Consider how incredibly vocal the developers were about this shit

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My two cents: I prefer to judge posters as a whole rather than individual posts. I don't like the fact that there's a cadre of what I'd call "professional anti-SJWs" running around this forum. If you're on this forum solely to be a gaming culture warrior, develop other interests or you may eventually find yourself in Prosperland.

That said, I can't stop otherwise normal posters from being fascinated with drama. My one regret is that I didn't go ahead and create a non-SJW gaming-only BG:SoD thread sooner, because it's become clear that for some reason people on this forum are shy about starting new threads.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
You fuckers keep fighting as if your arguments are mutually exclusive. They're both right, two lines of SJW bullshit aren't enough to ruin a huge ass game, but at the same time you keep swallowing these small tidbits and they'll grow more and more until they're actually the larger part of the script.

I think you need to look at the rest of the game and the devs' stance on all this to judge if it's worth it or not. Considering Beamdog has made it clear already that they do have a resident SJW bullshitter that clearly said will keep pushing all these stuff on their work as long as she lives... :M

I'll probably grab Dragonspear when it's cheap enough though to take a proper look

Amber Scott is supposedly no longer working as a writer. She was promoted to marketing shortly before Dragonspear's release. So, she may not be able to.

''Promoted'' yhea right.They were just too fucking weak to say ''Get your stinking fat ass outta here'' but somehow they decided to keep her around,or maybe she has some money invested in the company.

Thank fucking god they had the balls to remove her anyway,that's a fucking plus.The game had great art and some interesting encounters but the writing just butchered my very soul..

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
If you're on this forum solely to be a gaming culture warrior, develop other interests or you may eventually find yourself in Prosperland.

i would say prosperland is in dire need of repopulation,after the departure of liberal and the recent passing of jcd only sheep remained to shitpost.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, it is good she is not writing for them anymore though. Political content aside, her shitting on previously made character and her general attitude towards established fans is annoying. Sadly they can't really fire her either. Either she will sue them or it will be a very big PR catastrophe.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
I like how technical you can sound sometimes, I like this aura of advanced AI that you have. In fact I have huge troubles trying to imagine a face behind the Infinitron persona, it's like there is truly none.

Review me, Infinitron, if you even have a Spellcaster.txt to begin with. I wanna know how I rank on your rank

just imagine a jew in a miilitary outfit.

Malpercio

Arcane
It wasn't the sjw silliness that made Sods terrible, it was the overall game design, the linearity, the horrible writing, the silly plot, the shit combat and encounters, the Ui.

The only thing thing that this expansion did with competence were some of the backgrounds.

Did you actually play the game or are just regurgitating someone else points?

Yeah, it is good she is not writing for them anymore though. Political content aside, her shitting on previously made character and her general attitude towards established fans is annoying. Sadly they can't really fire her either. Either she will sue them or it will be a very big PR catastrophe.

Her writing was the weakest in SoD, yeah. Ironically, there is plenty to criticize, like the absolutely horrid quest she wrote for Jaheira and Khalid (she also wrote how Khalid asked Jaheria to marry her, and it's BAD), but instead people seem to be only focused on the trans with 2 lines of dialogue.

Uh...

Dorateen

Arcane
An open letter to Beamdog

So, I hear you're making a new D&D cRPG. Outstanding! Now here's a few pointers that will help elevate this project, and give you at least half a chance of accounting yourselves well with a more prestigious community.

• If you are making a Dungeons & Dragons licensed game, then for the love of all that is good and holy, make a Dungeons & Dragons game that adheres to the official ruleset! Resist the urge to streamline, make accessible, or justify design decisions by thinking what was intended for pen and paper is not viable on the computer. History proves you wrong. I'm serious. Crack open the 5th edition Player's Handbook and Monster Manual, and use that as your guide. Every monster should have the same stat block and abilities as detailed in those reference books. Players should draw upon tools available to them in these resource documents. You can't include the breadth of everything that is represented by D&D, but what you do include in terms of mechanics better be rooted in those hard cover manuals.

• Make combat turn-based. Conventional wisdom says this is highly unlikely, especially from a new-ish modern developer who has only worked heretofore in the Infinity Engine. But now is your chance to make a bold statement. If you build a tactical turn-based combat system, you will gain an enormous amount of credibility. As you may or may not have noticed, there is a bit of a stigma attached to your studio. You don't want to be considered light-weight jokes revamping the same compromised RTwP paradigm forever, do you? This is a D&D computer role-playing game, and there's going to be a lot of combat. Shock the world, and make it turn-based.

• This one is controversial, again given prevailing wisdom based on your current portfolio of work. Not to mention certain personnel you have brought on board and the recent call for Narrative Designer. However, understand this. No one will care about your super-cool, quirky companions. You are just opening yourself up for more criticism, mockery and annoyance. Let the player create their own party, and you concentrate on the gameworld and NPCs. If you must have NPCs who join the party for story-related reason, they can be party members who are added to the player's team. You have been working in Infinty Engine re-makes, but consider the hobby's other esteemed titles, from the Gold Box games, Eye of the Beholder, even Temple of Elemental Evil. Every single one follows the template of player's party + NPCs. There is hope, as you did include party customization in your Siege of Dragonspear. Be brave enough to take the next step.

In conclusion, Beamdog, it is for you to decide whether you will cater to casuals or strive for something memorable and better. Will you aspire to Pool of Radiance, or Dragon Age? Your move.

Malpercio

Arcane
  • If you are making a Dungeons & Dragons licensed game, then for the love of all that is good and holy, make a Dungeons & Dragons game that adheres to the official ruleset! Resist the urge to streamline, make accessible, or justify design decisions by thinking what was intended for pen and paper is not viable on the computer. History proves you wrong. I'm serious. Crack open the 5th edition Player's Handbook and Monster Manual, and use that as your guide. Every monster should have the same stat block and abilities as detailed in those reference books. Players should draw upon tools available to them in these resource documents. You can't include the breadth of everything that is represented by D&D, but what you do include in terms of mechanics better be rooted in those hard cover manuals.

Pretty sure not even classics like BG2 and IWD do this?

Dorateen

Arcane

Pretty sure classics like Pool of Radiance did.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Beamdog needs to take a hard look at N-space and see why things went wrong there (amongst countless other things they need to fix within). I'd be very surprised/shocked if this ends up being Turn-Based.

pippin

Pretty sure classics like Pool of Radiance did.

The context is different. When Pool of Radiance was released, there was a need to cover the market with the dnd brand because there were tons of rpgs being released that were mere copycats of the "real deal". Most of them copied the bestiary almost entirely, almost every crpg released back then also had the spells, etc.
So they had to put special care in the making of the game. They had to compete. In 2016, there are thousands of morons who will buy the game just because it has a dnd stamp on it, without questioning anything else. Most of them haven't even played pnp irl. So it's like Games Workshop. Nobody cares, people are going to buy the product anyway.

Mustawd

That said, I can't stop otherwise normal posters from being fascinated with drama.

Not sure which category you lump me into Infinitron, but I missed the whole GG issue altogether and I thought the drama in that thread was pretty damn interesting.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I'm pretty anti-SJW though, for the most part -- especially after going back to college to change my career. Place is ground zero.

Problem is my method of resistance entails not being triggered by them, because getting triggered suggests weak nerves, and SJWs want to crack the world in two in order to ensure nobody has their nerves tested.

Eventually I am going to react, but they're going to have to push the agenda way further than SoD did.

By react do you mean do something proactive or simply complain? The strategy of waiting until something is so influential and pervasive that it pushes you over the edge doesn't seem very effective.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not proactive, I tend to go along to get along at university myself. So in 40 years time my personality type will happily be working someone like you over in room 101 or converting to Islam, but maybe you should rethink your approach if you consider yourself to be different.

On topic though I'm ecstatic they're working on a new IP, they'll have to produce something on their own merits without the nostalgia fumes of Baldurs Gate, which fingers crossed without some kind of publishing deal with EA, means this shit stain of a company is going under.

pippin

That said, I can't stop otherwise normal posters from being fascinated with drama.

Not sure which category you lump me into Infinitron, but I missed the whole GG issue altogether and I thought the drama in that thread was pretty damn interesting.

I'm well aware I'm just a shitposter (and I've never pretended I'm something else than just that, I mean, I named myself after the GD tier companion of the Fellowship) but the controversy around SoD was more stupid than interesting imo. In 2012, when the original EE was released, they could have a point, but this is post Gamergate. They knew what they were doing and kept pushing on. If anything, they asked for it*gasp*.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Right, so imagine how interesting you'd find it if you'd been reading threads like that since late 2014. :M

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'm pretty anti-SJW though, for the most part -- especially after going back to college to change my career. Place is ground zero.

Eventually I am going to react, but they're going to have to push the agenda way further than SoD did.

By react do you mean do something proactive or simply complain?

SJWs are Don Quixotes looking for their windmills (which is also my reading of the anti-SWJs exploding on Minsc's GG line), grasping for anything that allows them to assert their identities and beliefs. By "reacting" I mean giving them fodder for them to project their fantasies on.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

By react do you mean do something proactive or simply complain?

SJWs are Don Quixotes looking for their windmills (which is also my reading of the anti-SWJs exploding on Minsc's GG line), grasping for anything that allows them to assert their identities and beliefs. By "reacting" I mean giving them fodder for them to project their fantasies on.

Oh boy, one day you'll be in for a rude shock if you think SJW's have no power, still i'm not interested in debating the matter, i'm just happy to sit, watch and be entertained.

I somewhat agree with Morality, but there's a difference between SJWs seeking attention online, and SJWs actually intruding IRL.

When their agendas start infecting media that I consume for entertainment, then it is time to let my discontent be known. If they want, they can just ignore my bitching.

It's a completely different situation than them pontificating in their own little corners (e.g. Ghost buster bullshit and that one guy's youtube channel). In that case, complete apathy is best.

It feels like years ago now when we would just point and laugh at obscure tumblr posts, and thought none of this shit would bleed into the real world.

Instead it's infested university boards and curriculum (don't know about the USA but in Australia, government hires a lot from Universities through programs), business people fired for conservative views, legislation on new pronouns, invented SJW words slowly being incorporated into language, appearing at the UN, Duluth model and perpetrator programs even if you're found innocent (hilariously the first thing men have to say is that the are 'oppressors'), the rewriting of history along politically correct lines, Canada passing legislation to normalize zoophiliia, infestation of self-loathing among Europeans and Americans (and the related demonisation of men, particularly Caucasian men, FYI I'm Latino), medicating 'boisterous' young boys, educational programs along diversity lines targeting younger and younger children, censoring discussions on reddit, hiding conservative media on Facebook, etc, etc, etc.

Edit; It's not entirely true that it 'just appeared', they've slowly been taking over, they just recently got loud enough for people to start paying attention, now you can see what they've been busy doing.

Last edited:

Mustawd

I somewhat agree with Morality, but there's a difference between SJWs seeking attention online, and SJWs actually intruding IRL.

When their agendas start infecting media that I consume for entertainment, then it is time to let my discontent be known. If they want, they can just ignore my bitching.

It's a completely different situation than them pontificating in their own little corners (e.g. Ghost buster bullshit and that one guy's youtube channel). In that case, complete apathy is best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom