Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Kirtai

Augur
Pay no attention to the modders behind the curtain.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Um how in the hell did beta testing go right? Is that what he's calling the people who bought it these past 6 months?

You know I don't even dislike Trent for this. He wanted to bring one of his favorite games back into the modern spotlight in hopes that it might encourage more games like that to be made. I don't like some of his decisions but I can certainly like that sentiment. But after reading this just...what? Better Baldur's Gate? isn't this the game that actually got people to unlike the Baldur's Gate fanpage because they thought Beamdog ran it? He added more bugs than the original game had and the new content didn't even match some of the modder's work let alone the original game. I'm honestly not sure the game's even one the same stability level as the original yet since I still haven't heard anyone claim that.

Well I hope he does a lot better on BG2EE or at least fixes all the problems BGEE has.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Um how in the hell did beta testing go right? Is that what he's calling the people who bought it these past 6 months?

You know I don't even dislike Trent for this. He wanted to bring one of his favorite games back into the modern spotlight in hopes that it might encourage more games like that to be made. I don't like some of his decisions but I can certainly like that sentiment. But after reading this just...what? Better Baldur's Gate? isn't this the game that actually got people to unlike the Baldur's Gate fanpage because they thought Beamdog ran it? He added more bugs than the original game had and the new content didn't even match some of the modder's work let alone the original game. I'm honestly not sure the game's even one the same stability level as the original yet since I still haven't heard anyone claim that.

Well I hope he does a lot better on BG2EE or at least fixes all the problems BGEE has.
It's just back-patting and a way to spin history towards the positive. It's a way of assuring other developers and, more importantly, potential investors that Beamdog know what mistakes they made (which had no real effect on the quality of the title as they tell it), and will not make those same mistakes in the future for when they go on to make Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition or their own RPGs/expansions.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
It's just back-patting and a way to spin history towards the positive. It's a way of assuring other developers and, more importantly, potential investors that Beamdog know what mistakes they made (which had no real effect on the quality of the title as they tell it), and will not make those same mistakes in the future for when they go on to make Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition or their own RPGs/expansions.
True enough though if I was a potential investor I would do some searching around to see if someone's not telling the whole truth.

waywardOne

Arcane
if I was a potential investor I would do some searching around to see if someone's not telling the whole truth.
No need to search. It's right there for you to see. The modders "hired" (paid a fee) were the same ones they were ripping off to begin with. They've added nothing other than fanfic-level NPC mods that are already in depressing abundance; also added: tons of new bugs. They're catering to the worst of the crpg crowd and using attention-starved modders as shills.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BGEE couldve been alright. Then iOS happened : x
Did they released the iOS version yet? My last info was that Apple laughed into their faces because their buggy piece of shit didn't pass the iOS certification.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They started the project and got it approved without making sure the original assets still existed ? o_O

This tells a lot about both Beamdog and the rightholders.
:balance:

Ramireza

Savant
Well, i must admit i enjoyed the EE of BG more then BGT and i would buy the EE of BG2.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
those shitheads could have had the same amount of bugfixing by opening the source code, since most of the 'bugfixes' were identified long ago by the modders as script api bugs. Meanwhile, TobEx is only getting preliminary BG:EE support right now.

Stabwound

Arcane
They started the project and got it approved without making sure the original assets still existed ? o_O

This tells a lot about both Beamdog and the rightholders.
Or it's just an excuse. They were working on a shoestring budget here and the game was delayed already. If they had to actually do work it would have come up in the year 2025.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I _must_ admit that I am replaying Vanilla BG right now because I failed to install BGT. For some reason, there was always something that didn't work ; I got it almost working until it failed at the last part, googled the issue, found someone posting "ohhh but you shouldn't have installed it in Program Files, silly you!" and said fuck it.

Still, Vanilla BG, not EE. I have a tiny bit of dignity left.

Ramireza

Savant
Well, i must admit i enjoyed the EE of BG more then BGT and i would buy the EE of BG2.
What did you like about BGEE more than BGT?

Edit: Ninja'd

I played BGT before the EE, a complete playthrough. In the matter of content its better, of course, but the fact that the dialogues where totaly messed up in HD resolutions where anoying. The text in the EE version where more fun to read (after the patch that removed the blurriness) in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom