Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wtf. In what world is that good news? The probability of the new content being seamlessly integrated with the old stuff is very close to nil, as BG:EE already proved.
Do new NPCs can even talk with old ones? I remember reading something about that they cannot add anything to old NPCs due to copyright law.

Well, there some dialogs but rare like usual BG1 companion chat. Viconia makes fun of new monk guy(opposite deities), Ajantis go "paladin" about blackguard and Edwin don't like wild mage.(Red Wizards hunt her) Edwin alsoı hate drow sorceror with a passion becuse he is better than Edwin :D
And there are some boring one liners "Oh you are a fantastic adition to party"

Turjan

Arcane
Edwin alsoı hate drow sorceror with a passion becuse he is better than Edwin :D
Really? I liked Edwin as an NPC, but he was already more powerful than a player character could ever wish to be, which I always found a bit assholish by the devs. And now they have an NPC that's even more powerful?

Turjan

Arcane
I understand they are busy working on BG2:EE. I wonder who would buy it, considering that with BG:EE they managed to trick some (including myself) into preordering. Who would want to play a BG2 with added bugs, ugly interface and a pinch of dumbed down content?

"Next time it will be better" is a promise that frequently makes people completely blind to the truth.

I really have to ask that question on an old Baldur's Gate forum that I sometimes still frequent (not regarding the game, mind). I noticed that the old time fans jumped on BG:EE like starved children (many of them didn't really game anymore otherwise). I found it somewhat weird that the content creators were eager to throw their work at Beamdog and then pay for it to get it back. But okay. I'm curious whether I will see the "next time will be better."

Delterius

Arcane
Really? I liked Edwin as an NPC, but he was already more powerful than a player character could ever wish to be, which I always found a bit assholish by the devs. And now they have an NPC that's even more powerful?
I wouldn't be so sure, he probably means that 'storywise'. I doubt devs would integrate something like this into gameplay. At least not intentionally.

Though, arguably, Sorcerers are more powerful than Mages.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

There was only one reason you had Edwin along anyway...

VsEdwinnew1.png

Especially for the part in the Copper Coronet where Edwina gets seduced by that idiotic elf near the bar only to have him realize (s)he still has an adams apple. Tranny Wizards are best Wizards.

Turjan

Arcane
I liked Edwin as an NPC, but he was already more powerful than a player character could ever wish to be, which I always found a bit assholish by the devs. And now they have an NPC that's even more powerful?

There was only one reason you had Edwin along anyway...
Heh.

But to tell the truth, although I liked Edwin, I hardly ever played with an evil party, as Bioware-evil usually equals stupd-evil, not to speak of game disadvantages.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Unfortunately, the new Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition couldn’t repeat the magic that turned X-Com (one of the best PC games ever, and now almost wholly unplayable for anyone but nostalgia-sadists) into the brilliant XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Holy fucking WAT?

Kirtai

Augur
Upon sober consideration after reading that article it is my opinion that Grunker didn't post nearly as many :retarded: as he should have.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/columns/baldur’s_gate_disappointment

The Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate doesn't enhance much of anything.

Minus points for recommending TuTu over BGT, buuuuuut:

Mass Effect [is] Baldur’s Gate, done better.

:retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded:

Obviously, he believes Mass Effect did better what he thinks he remembers he liked about Baldur's Gate. Enjoyment is a subjective reaction. Even when two people enjoy the same thing (BG in this case) they still may come by the reaction for different reasons (as evidenced by reading the article and finding the author thinks ME was more enjoyable... the question is in what way for HE?).

At least in BG2, the evil personalities were far more entertaining to me.

Yeah, the good personalities were written over-earnestly, like Bioware usually does. The evil ones weren't exactly written 'well', but they weren't taken very seriously either - Edwin in particular tended to act like Gargamel from the Smurfs, sort of a humourous pantovillain evil.

But the mod to stop party members leaving imbalances the game. There aren't many mutually exclusive characters, it's easy to keep your rep within boundaries that will stop characters leaving (especially once you can turn into the slayer - just take that -2 rep hit any time your evil characters start complaining, and you've got enough gold and rep-increasing content that good characters should never be a problem), and where there are mutually exclusive characters it's usually for balance reasons.

I.e. you can have a cleric with absurdly good stats and magic resistance to boot, or you can have a paladin with good stats and the ability to wield the best weapon in the game. You can have the evil guy with the best raw fighting stats in the game or you can have a whiny paedo-bait elf that cross-classes mage and cleric in a game that's set at the precise level range where that character build fails (you're past the early-level point where all cross-class characters shine, and it will take most of the game to get to the point where mage/clerics have good access to high-level spells from both classes) who spends all her time whining about her wings even after the PC has his fucking soul ripped ou....

Actually I think Korgan was put in the game by some roguishly heroic designer trying to save players from themselves by killing off Aerie before she soaks up too much of your exp to ditch her.

Zeriel

Arcane
118 pages of "hey, this looks like a complete rip-off", "yep, it's a complete rip-off", interspersed by the very occasional plant. Schadenfreude is kind of our official pastime here at the RPGCodex.

Lancehead

Liturgist
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/columns/baldur’s_gate_disappointment

The Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate doesn't enhance much of anything.

Minus points for recommending TuTu over BGT, buuuuuut:

Mass Effect [is] Baldur’s Gate, done better.

:retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded:

Obviously, he believes Mass Effect did better what he thinks he remembers he liked about Baldur's Gate. Enjoyment is a subjective reaction. Even when two people enjoy the same thing (BG in this case) they still may come by the reaction for different reasons (as evidenced by reading the article and finding the author thinks ME was more enjoyable... the question is in what way for HE?).
BioWare included romances in BG II because some were larping them in BG I. Maybe he was one of those larping, thus finding ME better.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But the mod to stop party members leaving imbalances the game. There aren't many mutually exclusive characters, it's easy to keep your rep within boundaries that will stop characters leaving (especially once you can turn into the slayer - just take that -2 rep hit any time your evil characters start complaining, and you've got enough gold and rep-increasing content that good characters should never be a problem), and where there are mutually exclusive characters it's usually for balance reasons.

I.e. you can have a cleric with absurdly good stats and magic resistance to boot, or you can have a paladin with good stats and the ability to wield the best weapon in the game. You can have the evil guy with the best raw fighting stats in the game or you can have a whiny paedo-bait elf that cross-classes mage and cleric in a game that's set at the precise level range where that character build fails (you're past the early-level point where all cross-class characters shine, and it will take most of the game to get to the point where mage/clerics have good access to high-level spells from both classes) who spends all her time whining about her wings even after the PC has his fucking soul ripped ou....

Actually I think Korgan was put in the game by some roguishly heroic designer trying to save players from themselves by killing off Aerie before she soaks up too much of your exp to ditch her.

I agree with almost nothing in this post, everything in there is wrong, irrelevant or debatable.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's one thing to think ME is a better game, which is stupid, but a valid opinion (maybe you just like VISCERAL combat better).

But how can ME be "BG, but better"?

It'd be like saying Descent is Doom, but better.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So how did this sell? And is BG2:EE still on the way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom