Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke Was trying to delete the game and Backup the Saves before and noticed there's like 500MB of Saves. Most of them were Autosaves made throughout the game (for some reason they happen very frequently instead of just keeping one or cycling through 3-5, same with Quicksaves). I deleted all the ones labeled as AUTOSAVE in the game Menu but the file size of the folder hasn't decreased at all. I just see a bunch of ".bro" and ".old" files in there. Is it just renaming .bro to .old when "deleting" ingame and making them invisible? Is it safe to delete these? It also gave "Steam Cloud Syncing" a lot to do. Also noticed that all the Saves have an uncompressed ~4MB .png file accompanying them (some of which have also been appended ".old") instead of a small .jpg or similar even though it's just a small thumbnail displayed at the top right of the Save screen.

I hope there'll be a better solution for upcoming games. :)

Aw man - sorry for taking so much time to reply to you! Just been head down in the trenches!

I spoke to Nic and he said: You can delete the .old files, and the save games doesn't need the PNG to work. He said that he's gonna look at a smaller image format for the saving next game. :D I do think that if you delete them, the cloud saves will resync it - it's something we can take a look at in the future. Yeah - not sure if that helps at all! :D

Manny

Educated
I just finished Beautiful Desolation a few minutes ago. So I want to give my impressions.

For me, the best thing is the setting and the way in which we get to know the setting. The setting really feels different from everything seen, and it manages to be a strange world, but with certain features in which we recognize human civilization. Likewise, it is never explicitly explained to us, for redundancy, what is happening, where the different factions come from, etc., but little by little, as we get to know the world and talk to the different characters, we build an image more and more clear. I also liked the ending, because it does not unravel all the mystery behind the Penrose (hopefully this means that we are going to have another game in this world), as well as the fact that there are different approaches to certain problems and that these can be solved in a different order. Finally, other points in favor are the gorgeous artistic and musical direction, and the possibility of exploring a lot of scenarios.

As for the the things I didn't like much, the main one was the gameplay. In fact, at times I got a bit bored because of it. I'm not sure how to explain myself, but the feeling I have is that more than an adventure it seems that the model followed reminded me more of a role-playing game, only without combat and without character progression, based mainly on exploration from quests that the NPCs give you. There are almost no puzzles, and the few there are are quite simple, both those that have to do with manipulating the environment, and those based on handling items. In that sense, the gameplay was reduced to talking with the characters, finding out what they needed, exploring the setting and finding an object out there to give it to someone or use it somewhere. Even the cursor indicated which object to give or use.

Only occasionally, you had to mix objects. The parts in which you used other characters, pooch or the drone (Don does not count, since its use is basically narrative), gave it some variety, but insufficient. (This use of different characters I have now seen it better used in the demo of Stasis: Bone Totem, which I have backed). Another point that did not convince me was the way the factions were handled. I explain. Although I liked the idea, the problem I find is that in all three cases in which you had to choose, the thing worked the same, which made you feel that you were following the same mold. One last point that I felt I didn't like very much was the way Don and Pooch were being talked to. That also felt a bit forced, perhaps because the two characters, compared to the rest that you find in the world, felt a bit clichéd.

All in all, it seems to me a very good game and it was worth playing and buying, although the gameplay was not my cup of tea. Hopefully in the future there will be a continuation (or spin-off) with a gameplay closer to an adventure, but with the same level of exploration. Meanwhile, waiting for the new Stasis.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.thebrotherhoodgames.com/studio/2021/04/19/desolation-coming-to-ps4-switch/

DESOLATION COMING TO PS4+ & SWITCH!

Screen-Shot-2021-04-19-at-2.10.39-PM.png

The award winning African sci-fi adventure comes to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch on May 28th, 2021

Story-driven Indie publisher Untold Tales have announced the release date for the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 digital versions of BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION – Friday, 28th May, 2021.
Created by the talented two person developer team The Brotherhood, the game was initially released on PC in 2020 and garnered multiple awards for its distinct art, story and setting. Now fully revamped for controllers, the post-apocalyptic African sci-fi adventure gem comes to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.

TRAILER: https://youtu.be/6uTuyqYRryg
PRESSKIT: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/117p3dHjhb3U8fm-zSbi0D6Esaqiw2mgi

GAME FEATURES

AN EPIC SCI-FI ADVENTURE LIKE NO OTHER

You are flung into a futuristic, alternate-reality South Africa dominated by advanced alien technology that’s both revered and reviled. Explore, solve puzzles, make key dialogue choices and be prepared to face tough decisions in a sci-fi setting left pretty much untouched by other games. From thriving African sci-fi villages to crumbling tropical cities. Mutated forests and bone-dry ocean beds – all beautifully rendered in 2D isometric art.

UNFORGETTABLE FACES ALL FULLY VOICED

Humanity as you know it has been reshaped, something most evident from the characters in BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION. Technology and sentient life have become totally blurred. Religious zealot mechs run rife. Humans willingly stripped of their flesh for immortality. Trans-humanistic tribes warring for power. And ruthless alien-like hunter mercenaries roaming the grasslands – to name but a few. Meet and interact with over 40 unique and bizarre characters, each fully voiced by authentic African voice actors, with thousands of lines of dialogue and multiple conversation paths. Additionally, CGI cutscenes are strewn throughout the story to bring you even closer to this enthralling sci-fi world and its characters.

MASTERFUL MUSIC SCORE

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION features a vibrant and highly experimental soundtrack by none other than Mick Gordon, known for his work on DOOM®, Prey® and Wolfenstein®.

REVAMPED FOR CONSOLE CONTROLLERS

Controls, UI and movement have all been fully redone to work intuitively on console controllers. Experience a true gem from the PC adventure genre now with the use of your console’s gamepad.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/3202498

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION ON CONSOLE, SWITCH AND MORE NEWS!

Hi Adventurers!

Can you believe it's been over a year since we published BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION?

I must admit that 2020 was an emotional rollercoaster and not one I wish to repeat, so it thrills me to bring you some good news in 2021!

CONSOLE/SWITCH RELEASE

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION (the very game that you helped create) is now on Playstation and Switch!

Untold Tales are some serious game publishing veterans and have revamped the UI and Controls to work on more platforms. We are thrilled that new players will get to experience BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION and perhaps you would also like to try it in the new medium on a gamepad?

Here are the links:

OFFICIAL UNTOLD TALES PAGE

BUY NOW ON PS4

BUY NOW ON SWITCH EU

BUY NOW ON SWITCH US

Here is the console launch trailer (which looks amazing!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byVGq_K_2s&feature=youtu.be

PC DESOLATION UPDATE

We've also just added an awesome update to BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION, which now includes Bulgarian and Chinese translations! (Not to mention, German, French, Russian, Turkish, and Spanish). This is currently Windows/Steam only but we will be rolling this out over the next few weeks to all platforms. If you haven't played since last year then we are sure you'll like all the little adjustments we've been making since it first launched.

KEEP IN TOUCH
We update our blog often - there are lots of videos of us working and interesting bits and pieces. You can find it here:

https://www.thebrotherhoodgames.com/

Our newsletter is here (You can also read all the old ones at this link below);

https://tinyletter.com/brogames

We are also on Discord now so come drop in and say hi! https://www.thebrotherhoodgames.com/studio/discord

OUR NEXT GAME - BONE TOTEM
If you missed the news, then fear not! We are neck-deep in the next game in the STASIS series. This nightmare takes place under the ocean. If you enjoyed STASIS then join our newsletter or head to our discord for news on BONE TOTEM. https://www.thebrotherhoodgames.com/studio/stasis2/

or Wishlist on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1426010/STASIS_BONE_TOTEM/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

or

GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/stasis_bone_totem?as=1649904300

Chat soon!

- CHRIS

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Thanks for posting it! I'll admit I've been super slack with the social media shiz. I'm REALLY keen to know how the game plays on Switch! I tried to order one - but damn... nothin' in SA!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for posting it! I'll admit I've been super slack with the social media shiz. I'm REALLY keen to know how the game plays on Switch! I tried to order one - but damn... nothin' in SA!
It's been a nightmare getting hardware if you don't live in japan, usa or western europe. It's not only GPU, even consoles are really hard to find nowadays.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Yeah - and the price of them is also insane. My brother-in-law lives in Taiwan - I may hit him up to check if it's available there.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Pyke , I'm about 7 hours in and loving it. Without getting wordy the single greatest compliment I can bestow upon you is that it feels absolutely singular. While playing I've felt the verisimilitude keeping me grounded which is a great feat, but even better I've not been sitting here saying "Oh this reminds me of that and this is derivative of that" but thinking "Shit, this feels pretty fuckin' fresh!". So cheers to that and cheers to making motherfuckin' PnC adventure games in 2021!!

p.s. the ship getting smaller on the map while landing is a really fantastic touch.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke , I'm about 7 hours in and loving it. Without getting wordy the single greatest compliment I can bestow upon you is that it feels absolutely singular. While playing I've felt the verisimilitude keeping me grounded which is a great feat, but even better I've not been sitting here saying "Oh this reminds me of that and this is derivative of that" but thinking "Shit, this feels pretty fuckin' fresh!". So cheers to that and cheers to making motherfuckin' PnC adventure games in 2021!!

p.s. the ship getting smaller on the map while landing is a really fantastic touch.

Thanks so much! Originally I wanted the ship to be like half the size it ended up as - so Nic added in that 'flying down' animation to appease me! It worked out really well!

lightbane

Arcane
Well, it's over, I finally finished the game, took me longer than expected due the last year being absolutely crazy, and the last months chaotic as well. Moreover, I hope it is coincidence, but today, after checking my "Hard Disk Sentinel" program, it seems the HDD where this game was installed had its health MASSIVELY deteriorated over the course of the last days I finished the game. I hope this is just a coincidence, as otherwise it seems Unity's ability to wreck up computers due poor optimization is not an exaggeration.
There are some easter eggs and things I didn't find in-game, but lately I don't have much time so I would prefer to play other games, especially non-Unity ones, just in case.

Either way, I'll post my thoughts and questions later, for now though, some below:

What the fuck is the Record? Who is the spider cyborg that saves you at the start and whose dialogue and voice changes once you start a new game, breaking the 4th wall? What are the Red Agnates that destroyed the Baas? Are those the same ones crucified where the Array? Who destroyed them?
What is a "memory walker"? How come the Hanasi are seemingly technologically capable when they're stoned warriors literally sitting on the ruins of the old world?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
All good questions!

What the fuck is the Record?

The Record is the final temple room that you go to at the end of the game. If you listen to a description of it, they will talk about large white statues and banners being flown. The Record is the future prophecy of what will happen to the world - a prophecy that Mark is currently fulfilling.

Who is the spider cyborg that saves you at the start and whose dialogue and voice changes once you start a new game, breaking the 4th wall?

He is DARIS - or at least, DARIS is possessing him. He refers to himself as a puppet, tangled up with strings - these strings could refer to himself being an 'actual' puppet, or to the different timelines which are entangled.

What are the Red Agnates that destroyed the Baas? Are those the same ones crucified where the Array? Who destroyed them?

Red Agnates (Mupanee) were Agnates who sympathized with humanity. And yeah - there are the ones who were strung up. The current Agnate forces, lead by the Priests, eradicated them, and took control of the Warden Networks to control travel. Its a bit of an analogy to the Apartheid government who had extremely restrictive laws about travel in the country. If you control where and how people can actually move about your country, it makes control much easier.
Interestingly, a Mupanee is a worm that is often eaten here in SA. I've eaten them before. They are... different. :D The idea that a vanquished enemy would be referred to as an 'insect' or 'worm' is often done in Africa as a way to dehumanize them. During the Rwandan Genocide, the Tutsi's were called 'cockroaches'.

What is a "memory walker"?

Agnates minds are 'recycled' - because their brains were created using Penrose technology, which exists in multiple timelines. So an Agnate may contain memories of previous timelines that have played out. A memory walker is an Agnate who can access those memories.

How come the Hanasi are seemingly technologically capable when they're stoned warriors literally sitting on the ruins of the old world?

The Hanasi used to be much more capable warriors, but they became addicted to 'the herb', which slowed down their technological development. This was a ploy by the Chiznyama to get revenge on them.

lightbane

Arcane
I didn't expect such a quick answer!

Will do a short review. Graphics-wise it's awesome and amazing, much better than fake pixel "art" indies. Shame the big scenarios are empty, the MC doesn't run fast enough and/or there's a lack of "fast travel" points. Not many NPCs can be interacted with, and while the dialogues are cool, they usually are monologues with Markie giving a phrase or two as a response. Worse, I don't believe you can be "locked out" from progression by being an asshole to the NPCs.
The arena desperately needs a "fight again 'x' character" feature. By the time you get enough tokens to unlock a fancy group of units, chances are you'll have acquired the Red Mercury by then, for not to mention the blank token should have been reusable, seeing you can only get it in one certain "route". The units lack more information regarding their capabilities in the unit roster as well.
Balance is realistic, as in, some kind of units are WAY better than others, which means you'll beeline to the strongest units and forget about the rest, which is a shame.

The music is cool, even though there aren't many tracks, and the one in Chiron sounds like deranged lunatics scratching the walls non-stop.
Voice-acting requires a bit to get used to, since no-one in the game is a legit English man, but it does the work.
Some situations are a bit too strange IMO, like the sisters whose skin is falling of scavenging body parts for body fuel. Even worse, many NPCs outright disappear once you solve their quest, never to be seen again.
Now, for the story... Before the rant, IMO the MCs should have demonstrated more panic and disbelief at the new situation, rather than shrugging it off so easily. You also cannot talk to your companions except when they address you, which is usually whenever you wish to leave the area, which becomes predictable and annoying.

So, the Record writes in real time what you're doing, but everyone worships gods that turn out to be your party, but no-one can recognize you or something? The ending felt a bit rushed and confused to me IMO.

As for the Red Agnates, why did they destroy the Baas if they sympathized with humies? Baas seemed to be chill dudes, having built the not-Stargates and lots of advanced tech, but they were destroyed by them IIRC. The red Agnates also made living trains for some reason in a display of pointless cruelty, since the trains eventually are unusable anyway.
As for memory walkers, I thought the robots have deja vus because they have been broken down so much due no-one knowing how to repair them, their limited head-space copied over countless times, that they start believing they are immortal.

I got the bit of the Hanasi and the Chiz, but I don't remember seeing a robot around the Hanasi place.
Actually, might as well as rant now:
I got the white palace ending, if only because I was kind to Don the useless brother and the robot dog, which seemingly gives BIG points to the "morality meter" whenever you interact with them in one way or another, but also because the standard people you interact with are brutish mutated freaks that can and would kill you if you provoked them (some even threaten you in their dialogue), so I thought the best answer was to play along to avoid being brutalized. While your companions sometimes recriminate if you do a clearly evil choice, it doesn't affect the ending much other than the statues. I suppose that you could be a big asshole to everyone and yet still help whenever asked, but I dunno if the game would track correctly such schizo behaviour. Morality-mise, apparently it is more important to be mean to your brother than decide whether or not to genocide the Caecus, for example.
In fact, I euthanized the poor bastards but no-one reacts, not even a statue for the endgame, kek. There was no reaction for giving that list of materials to the obviously greedy and evil Witness woman merchant and dooming Lebanon, either, but you get an achievement and an OP Token at least.

For the other "dilemma situations", they tend to be grey, but there are some obvious "black vs white" ones. The Fley are literal parasites with somehow access to great tech (how?), while Mongrels are their victims. The Fley are also retarded, as their ending is about genociding the Mongrels, ending up without immediate hosts to use for "reproduction".
The Nest was an interesting one, but the South one is clearly evil and brutish. The Moss plants seemed neutral, but the are hints they too would eventually spread non-stop, and they torture the Nest anyway, kek. I supported the doctor because she was the only one with a sane choice. Same it doesn't really matter, as they're stuck some place in the future so it won't affect the "current" timeline no matter what.

Then the Bass, while highly technological, have a network of ion cannons moved around by hot-air balloons (???). I guess these cannons are extra light-weight.
Ultimately though, the ending is simultaneously a downer and positive. While your choices don't matter since your avatar is stuck in a cycle to repeat forever, you can make the lives of the "real" Mark better, although it doesn't matter in the long term since the Agnate War still happens, so South Africa becomes (even more) of a hellhole no matter what (hopefully the rest of the world is in a better state). Funny that only in the "Selfish" ending Markie unlocks the encrypted disk, but we don't get to know WTF is with the Penrose anyway.

Then there's that nanobot super-being, the "Children of One", which I accidentally unleashed upon the world, but there's no further mention about this choice in the ending.

I wish we got the chance to explore Babel more and interact with the cool Priests of the Ascendancy, but nope, it suddenly escalates when you get there.

Lastly, your companions sometimes banter while you run around, but I think something is broken here, as Pooch randomly laughs for no reason at times, or rolls onto the ground just because. Even though the odd clouds of colored radiation are mentioned to be lethal, your characters are seemingly unbothered by it.
I also miss the brutal deaths from the previous games, which would be fitting here.

Overall, it's a nice try. It could be better, but it's playable. I prefer STASIS' tighter concept and levels.
I also wish we got to play more with the alternate 80s, which were more interesting than the post-apoc African theme-park.

There's very little info about the game online as well, only a few youtube videos. I read some stuff about easter eggs, but I don't wish to play this all over again right now, and no videos about them yet, sadly.
Perhaps things will change once the game is out for consoles.

lightbane

Arcane
My bad, BD is already out for consoles, I didn't remember. :oops:

Can you check the spoilered review, Pyke? I put some questions here if you wish to answer them.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Ah, sorry mate! I actually started writing this yesterday, but we had a power outage and I forgot to come back to it!

So, the Record writes in real time what you're doing, but everyone worships gods that turn out to be your party, but no-one can recognize you or something? The ending felt a bit rushed and confused to me IMO.

The Record is prophecy - so its not recording history in real-time, but rather recorded what was going to happen centuries ago, which is why the temple and statues appear ancient. Mark even comments on how old they look.

As for the Red Agnates, why did they destroy the Baas if they sympathized with humies? Baas seemed to be chill dudes, having built the not-Stargates and lots of advanced tech, but they were destroyed by them IIRC. The red Agnates also made living trains for some reason in a display of pointless cruelty, since the trains eventually are unusable anyway.

I suppose the take would be that the Red Agnates - even if they generally sided with the humans, were still machines! These wars (with the Mupanee, with the Baas) all happened over centuries - and lots of what happened got lost and retold over and over and over again. Lots of the details get washed away through who tells the story. A big part of the game is how many people have their own points of view of the same events.

As for memory walkers, I thought the robots have deja vus because they have been broken down so much due no-one knowing how to repair them, their limited head-space copied over countless times, that they start believing they are immortal.

Grave and Lebanon mention that they have actually had a shared past life - the idea being that their mind was at one point the same, and then split up in a new time line. Size says that he has lived in his current incarnation 24 (I think) times - experiencing different ways of the world turning out.
This was actually a little meta (even hinted with the fourth wall breaks), that every time anyone plays the game, that counts as a life that Siza may remember.

I got the bit of the Hanasi and the Chiz, but I don't remember seeing a robot around the Hanasi place.

It was in the back.... out of sight. :D

I got the white palace ending, if only because I was kind to Don the useless brother and the robot dog, which seemingly gives BIG points to the "morality meter" whenever you interact with them in one way or another, but also because the standard people you interact with are brutish mutated freaks that can and would kill you if you provoked them (some even threaten you in their dialogue), so I thought the best answer was to play along to avoid being brutalized. While your companions sometimes recriminate if you do a clearly evil choice, it doesn't affect the ending much other than the statues. I suppose that you could be a big asshole to everyone and yet still help whenever asked, but I dunno if the game would track correctly such schizo behaviour. Morality-mise, apparently it is more important to be mean to your brother than decide whether or not to genocide the Caecus, for example.
In fact, I euthanized the poor bastards but no one reacts, not even a statue for the endgame, kek. There was no reaction for giving that list of materials to the obviously greedy and evil Witness woman merchant and dooming Lebanon, either, but you get an achievement and an OP Token at least.

This is a bit of an 'under the hood' answer! The 'meta palace' endings aren't altered by how you treat Don or Pooch, but rather how you treat the world. So if you are selfish, or generous, or angry - that will alter the look of the final room. Don and Pooch's alterations will affect if they leave you or not, and then will change the 'final' statue that you see by the portal - so the statue will have the 3 of you, or 2, or just Mark standing there.

The morality is very much a grading scale - instead of there being a binary - so the measure of your morality can constantly shift during the game. I tried to make choices not 'obviously' good or bad. The Caecus, for example, could be seen as a mercy killing (if someone was going to justify their actions!).

Not all of the choices in the game resulted in a statue - because honestly even with the choices we had it was extremely difficult to track and have them in the last room. I had a few to set up, and had to pick and choose which ones I thought would best represent large-scale world changes! Chalk it up to budgetary concerns!

For the other "dilemma situations", they tend to be grey, but there are some obvious "black vs white" ones. The Fley are literal parasites with somehow access to great tech (how?), while Mongrels are their victims. The Fley are also retarded, as their ending is about genociding the Mongrels, ending up without immediate hosts to use for "reproduction".
The Nest was an interesting one, but the South one is clearly evil and brutish. The Moss plants seemed neutral, but the are hints they too would eventually spread non-stop, and they torture the Nest anyway, kek. I supported the doctor because she was the only one with a sane choice. Same it doesn't really matter, as they're stuck some place in the future so it won't affect the "current" timeline no matter what.

This one is all on me! Originally the Fley were a little more subtle, but they were fun to write as 'bad'. As for just 'what' they Fley are - my early notes had them as a brain-dwelling parasite that was mutated by the ether. They increased the intelligence of their host so that they could survive for long.

Nest storyline was something we wrote as a 'hidden' story originally. We weren't gonna mention them at all, and it was going to be up to people to decipher how to open the portal - but eventually, we made them a larger part of the game. Personally, I would love to do a sequel with them in mind.

Then the Bass, while highly technological, have a network of ion cannons moved around by hot-air balloons (???). I guess these cannons are extra light-weight.
Ultimately though, the ending is simultaneously a downer and positive. While your choices don't matter since your avatar is stuck in a cycle to repeat forever, you can make the lives of the "real" Mark better, although it doesn't matter in the long term since the Agnate War still happens, so South Africa becomes (even more) of a hellhole no matter what (hopefully the rest of the world is in a better state). Funny that only in the "Selfish" ending Markie unlocks the encrypted disk, but we don't get to know WTF is with the Penrose anyway.

Man - I tell you, I struggled with this! My big concern is that, does this ending give the same satisfaction of 'it was all a dreaaaaaaaaaaaaam'? I tried to write the story with the idea of it being more about the journey than the destination, and keep the time loop 'clean'. Time travel stories are always difficult to tackle!

Even though the odd clouds of colored radiation are mentioned to be lethal, your characters are seemingly unbothered by it.

The Ether is both a bit of a trope and a design solution as to why the Warden Network was so important. The Trope side was that I was trying to figure out a way to make the large-scale mutations of things have a 'reason' behind it. Not enough time had passed for this amount of evolutionary change - so the idea of radiation worked in that 50's scifi way.

I also miss the brutal deaths from the previous games, which would be fitting here.

Deaths were in some of our early talks - but we decided to make the game more about telling an uninterrupted story. But fear not - Stasis 2 we are going back to brutal deaths and suicides!

lightbane

Arcane
Thanks for the answers!

but we had a power outage and I forgot to come back to it!

It seems the situation here is same as always.

The Record is prophecy - so its not recording history in real-time, but rather recorded what was going to happen centuries ago, which is why the temple and statues appear ancient. Mark even comments on how old they look.

So, there's extreme time-travel fuckery then.

I suppose the take would be that the Red Agnates - even if they generally sided with the humans, were still machines! These wars (with the Mupanee, with the Baas) all happened over centuries - and lots of what happened got lost and retold over and over and over again. Lots of the details get washed away through who tells the story. A big part of the game is how many people have their own points of view of the same events.

One can see signs of how morale someone is no matter how much the truth have been distorted. While the Baas may have been paranoid, they didn't use Knowledge Slaves but instead hologram projectors. Meanwhile, the Priests of Tribulation are 100% cartoonishly evil and use these poor bastards, amongst other things.

This is a bit of an 'under the hood' answer! The 'meta palace' endings aren't altered by how you treat Don or Pooch, but rather how you treat the world. So if you are selfish, or generous, or angry - that will alter the look of the final room. Don and Pooch's alterations will affect if they leave you or not, and then will change the 'final' statue that you see by the portal - so the statue will have the 3 of you, or 2, or just Mark standing there.

How is the "current score" with either character tracked? Usually you can give 3 types of answer: One positive, one negative and one neutral, but sometimes they're not immediately obvious. Are these two characters affected by the choices done in the gameworld, or just in their dialogues?

This one is all on me! Originally the Fley were a little more subtle, but they were fun to write as 'bad'. As for just 'what' they Fley are - my early notes had them as a brain-dwelling parasite that was mutated by the ether. They increased the intelligence of their host so that they could survive for long.

Were you inspired by the Goa'uld parasites from Stargate?

Man - I tell you, I struggled with this! My big concern is that, does this ending give the same satisfaction of 'it was all a dreaaaaaaaaaaaaam'? I tried to write the story with the idea of it being more about the journey than the destination, and keep the time loop 'clean'. Time travel stories are always difficult to tackle!

Dunno what to say. In one hand, it's somewhat positive and the game paints it as an adventure, but in the other hand, it is a neverending cycle, a prison for the MC to repeat non-stop.

The Ether is both a bit of a trope and a design solution as to why the Warden Network was so important. The Trope side was that I was trying to figure out a way to make the large-scale mutations of things have a 'reason' behind it. Not enough time had passed for this amount of evolutionary change - so the idea of radiation worked in that 50's scifi way.

Is the Ether responsible why Pooch sometimes decides to randomly roll on the ground laughing while you walk for no apparent reason, or is that a random animation?

I'll try to read the entire thread from the start to check how things changed over time. Shame the giraffes didn't make it in the game.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Thanks for the answers!

but we had a power outage and I forgot to come back to it!

It seems the situation here is same as always.

How is the "current score" with either character tracked? Usually you can give 3 types of answer: One positive, one negative and one neutral, but sometimes they're not immediately obvious. Are these two characters affected by the choices done in the gameworld, or just in their dialogues?

Their score is tracked with their conversations. The big choices you make do have a tiny effect on their score, depending on how you have the conversation with them about what you're gonna do. There are only a few conversations you have with Don and Pooch - so its easier to alter your relationship with them. I found it interesting that most people either went full 'COMPANIONS ARE FRIENDS' or 'FUCK EM' - where you can be nice to Don and shitty to Pooch, and have him stay and her leave (or visa versa) - and that will play out in the ending cinematic and statue layout differently.

Were you inspired by the Goa'uld parasites from Stargate?

Originally it was the Sand Kings from the Outer Limits - but I'm sure the Goa'uld played a part in my thoughts. I mean the intro sequence from the game is VERY close to the intro from the movie, as is the ending 'wormhole'. :D

Is the Ether responsible why Pooch sometimes decides to randomly roll on the ground laughing while you walk for no apparent reason, or is that a random animation?

It's just random. I do believe that Nic had a timer in there that Pooch laughs only after being in the world for a while - enjoying herself and the freedom from captivity/torture that she went through.
Its funny, cos I had a whole chunk of more 'dog like' animations for her - including her pee'ing. Maybe that's the DLC we all need....

I'll try to read the entire thread from the start to check how things changed over time. Shame the giraffes didn't make it in the game.

I did fight for the giraffes, but we couldn't get em to look as good as we wanted. There is a large skull in the bar in Witherberg - so they did sort of make an appearance!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Congrats on hitting 300 reviews! I'm really glad to see people are still playing it on the PC in addition to all the new devices.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Congrats on hitting 300 reviews! I'm really glad to see people are still playing it on the PC in addition to all the new devices.

Thanks, mate! I think it's a game that will have a long tail.

Have you seen the rumblings in the Star Con 2 community about the sequel? I'm so tempted to try and elbow my way into working with Fred and Paul. If you get in aswell, we will have completed the circle of the PONAF days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom