Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Mayday

Augur
TBH, LARPing is less stupid than cLARPing, because you LARP according to game rules, whereas in cLARPing you pretend there are actually any rules.

DraQ

Arcane
Mayday said:
TBH=?
To Be Honest?

LARPing is less stupid than cLARPing, because you LARP according to game rules, whereas in cLARPing you pretend there are actually any rules.
Fully agreed. The guy shouting "fireball!" and consoling foe's health to 0 in an environment with preimplemented rules (and existing fireballs) is far more pathetic than a guy shouting "fireball!" IRL where rules have to be imagined. By extension, any form of cLARPING in SP only game is retarded, as it doesn't use game's mechanics and the player might as well be sitting and staring at screenshot pretending he is doing something.

Hellraiser

Arcane
This guys basically admitted later in the topic that it is a joke topic but still reading this should prove entertaining:

Nowadays all we get are "games" that are more movie than game, like final fantasy 12. Gamers can't appreciate the depth in a dragon quest title.... they think of the series as being held back, but it's nice to have a series stick to traditions. Things being labelled as rpgs but in actuality are gaijin gunfests {mass effect}.

Americans only want their yearly madden rehash, while the japanese buy games that have more substance and soul to them. When will the americans make something profound, like xenogears? When will they stop making shooters which are nearly the same thing each installment?

I'm just glad that when I move to japan I will be free from this, I won't be bombarded with commercials for mcdonalds or the latest braindead bigscreen flick. For that I am happy.

Gaijin gunfest :D

Unfortunately he didn't try to continue the charade and posted this which pretty much gave him away:

I am not a "japanophile", I have read enough manga and been to enough anime conventions to be technically considered japanese.

Honestly there is absolutely nobody who could make such an outlandish statement while being completely serious.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=40814780

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Hellraiser said:
I'm just glad that when I move to japan I will be free from this, I won't be bombarded with commercials for mcdonalds or the latest braindead bigscreen flick. For that I am happy.
In for a rude awakening. I lived in Tokyo for 4 years, it's nothing but MacDonald's, Starbucks, Coca-cola, and Marlboroughs. Soul and substance? wait until he hears J-pop.

Section8

Cipher
Cimmerian Nights said:
Hellraiser said:
In for a rude awakening. I lived in Tokyo for 4 years, it's nothing but MacDonald's, Starbucks, Coca-cola, and Marlboroughs. Soul and substance? wait until he hears J-pop.

Click.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Section8 said:
Fun stuff.
I certainly have my gripes about Japan, but the acceptance of pervasive drunken mysoginy was never one of them, you've got to embrace it. That's how you get into a culture like that, groping chicks on trains, puking on the subway platform, pissing anywhere you want in broaddaylight, using the world as your ashtray i.e. "going native". Only fat gai-jin women bitch about things like that.

How anyone can be suprised that they don't roll out the red carpet for otakus is delusional. What would you think of a Japanese dude who comes here with an encyclopedic knowledge and burning passion about the WWF, convinvced that America is all about greased muscles, mullets, lame catch phrases, and figure four leg locks?

Ah, but what about the almighty Polysics? or the legendary Guitar Wolf
Japanese people listen to Morning Musume, SMAP, GLAY shit like that. Youtube that if you ever want to remind yourself what soulless and vapid mean.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cimmerian Nights said:
Ah, but what about the almighty Polysics? or the legendary Guitar Wolf
Japanese people listen to Morning Musume, SMAP, GLAY shit like that. Youtube that if you ever want to remind yourself what soulless and vapid mean.

So mainstream music is as shit as everywhere else on this planet? Why does it not surprise me?

Well, I kinda like Asian culture, too, but not its modern culture. That is an abomination, actually. No, rather their older ancient and medieval cultures, those were pretty neat. Modern Japanese [Japanese at least ten times more than the rest of Asia] culture is just a half-assed mix between their own culture and lots of Americanized shit thrown in. Oh, and the over-cutification of everything, especially in their mangas. And some kind of penis-envy considering the eyes, as all their manga characters have HUGE eyes while Japs themselves have small ones.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jasede said:
Man... I wish I could make a good mage >< I always end up getting my sword out because I suck at aim...

Lulz, much rather Beth sucks at implementing mages.

Have mages ever been made in a really good way, anyways? Well, except for the Realms of Arkania trilogy and the Wizardries.

EDIT:

by the sounds of it, exploration is shunned by overhauls such as OOO where if you stroll outside of the designated linear curve, you will end up with 10 arrows in your back and a feeling of, wtf..

this is, unless im missing something, but having entire sections of the game off limits, in such a free form game, sounds like the worst contradiction, and worst game logic ever.

This is where i need the help of the majority.. what makes this an appealing playstyle? what is to gain by being punished for entering certain areas you are deemed "not worthy" for?

No, really? Someone actually thinks the idea of full level scaling was the best thing ever? Holy shit...

cardtrick

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Have mages ever been made in a really good way, anyways?

Most recently in Arx Fatalis. Talk about an under-appreciated game . . . My favorite RPG magic system by a long shot. I was thinking about doing a Let's Play, but we have enough of those at the moment. Maybe in a couple of months.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That was a great game. I only finished it once and have no urge to ever play it again, but don't let that cloud your judgment, I loved every minute of it. (Strange, a lot of great games I have no inclination to play again, ever, yet I love them very much. Hm.)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jasede said:
That was a great game. I only finished it once and have no urge to ever play it again, but don't let that cloud your judgment, I loved every minute of it. (Strange, a lot of great games I have no inclination to play again, ever, yet I love them very much. Hm.)

It's like with totally awesome movies or books, and with the totally awesome moments of your past. You really enjoyed them, but reliving them again wouldn't be as amazing as the first time. Like with sex. The first time is always something special. And it's better if it stays a pleasant memory than if you replay the game and then see that most of the awesomeness was actually nostalgia, or something.

cardtrick

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Like with sex. The first time is always something special. And it's better if it stays a pleasant memory.

Ha, this is funny on a couple of levels. One, who the hell only wants to have sex once? (I get your point, but poor analogy, dude.) Two, you do realize you're talking to Jasede, the Codex's reigning Puritan, right?

Anyway, I totally understand Jasede's point. In fact, I often find myself not even finishing games that I love, for no reason I can explain. I think maybe it's a reluctance to end a good experience, so I just let it trickle off . . .

Also like sex. :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
cardtrick said:
JarlFrank said:
Like with sex. The first time is always something special. And it's better if it stays a pleasant memory.

Ha, this is funny on a couple of levels. One, who the hell only wants to have sex once? (I get your point, but poor analogy, dude.) Two, you do realize you're talking to Jasede, the Codex's reigning Puritan, right?

Anyway, I totally understand Jasede's point. In fact, I often find myself not even finishing games that I love, for no reason I can explain. I think maybe it's a reluctance to end a good experience, so I just let it trickle off . . .

Also like sex. :)

Hah, I actually meant the pleasant memory part about games, not about sex. Sex is something you can do multiple times without getting bored of it, so it's a bad example, but when you replay the exactly same game about ten times, it just begins to become less good with time.

Like with Arcanum. After my 6th playthrough now I begin to realize that I found out almost every little detail there is about the game. And exploring exactly the same all the time isn't that interesting... when you "explore" a woman for the twentieth time, you can still use some new techniques, but with a computer game... well, there's only so much content in there, and the ways to finish the game aren't infinite.

Hazelnut

Erudite
cardtrick said:
JarlFrank said:
Have mages ever been made in a really good way, anyways?

Most recently in Arx Fatalis. Talk about an under-appreciated game . . . My favorite RPG magic system by a long shot. I was thinking about doing a Let's Play, but we have enough of those at the moment. Maybe in a couple of months.

Hmm, I really tried to like that game, but after about half of it I simply couldn't face playing it any more. I found it like a boring fantasy rail-roaded shooter, whether that's fair or not. Whereas I can't seem to stop playing the Witcher even though I finished it...

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Lulz, much rather Beth sucks at implementing mages.
I think that playing dedicated spellcasters was quite interesting in Morrowind. It was very rewarding if you focused on creating your own spells with specific goals in mind (and very punishing if you ran into daedric shrine and pelted enemies with premade fireball spell, only to discover they are fire atronachs) . The spellcraft system could be more robust, but it's still more mage-like than being limited to premade spells.
Wizardry 8 was undeniably awesome, it's spellcasting system flawless and it's spells diverse, but mages were hardly anything more than artilery in robes.

No, really? Someone actually thinks the idea of full level scaling was the best thing ever? Holy shit...
This person and his relatives should be fucking killed with fire, else they might pass their stupidity on their offspring.

Quigs

Magister
Cimmerian Nights said:
What would you think of a Japanese dude who comes here with an encyclopedic knowledge and burning passion about the WWF, convinvced that America is all about greased muscles, mullets, lame catch phrases, and figure four leg locks?
nature-boy.jpg

Whooooo!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom