Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

hello friend

Arcane
Though PUBG was based on that Japan movie where schools pupils fight for their life.
But game? Beside Unreal Tournament mode called Last Man Standing I don't remember any.
Or maybe it was some mod for Half Life? Like they did with Counter Strike.
DayZ

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In fact, I've stated numerous times that the last game to feature an original idea was released in 1991.
That's very specific. Which game is that?

gfs_29588_2_1.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Was Uplink based on a previous game?

Hacker (1985)

Hacker is an adventure/trading game based on what was then a unique idea. You're starting into the adventure as a real hacker would do, lacking information of what is to come, only driven by your ambition. Consequently, the game opens with a plain text screen, prompting you for the login password. To break into the system is the first puzzle you've got to solve.

Once in, you'll soon find out that you've accidentally stumbled upon a conspiracy of global impact. From then on, you'll maneuver a robotic drone around the globe through a tunnel system deep in the earth. In major cities, you may surface and talk to contact persons, who'll trade items for cash. When delivered to the correct city, you can exchange these items for a piece of evidence. If all evidence is collected, you're to inform the FBI. As if figuring out the correct routes and trades wasn't hard enough, frequent system malfunctions and security checks test your skill as well...

There was a sequel the year after.

For 20 years I've been trying to find a game that pre-dates Lemmings that can be called a 'source' or inspiration for it. The closest match I've found is Bridge-It (1984), one of the crappiest games ever released on the Amstrad CPC.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
After a quick glance at the game, I can sum it up like so: It's an isometric puzzle game where you control a hat-wearing white protagonist who tampers with the environment to create new paths and reach the goal of each level.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Echochrome, more likely:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
A game does not need to be original to be good.

In fact I would prefer if Indie developers took inspiration from the 90's games.
Far too many developers make something without having any idea what they are doing and most of the time reinvent something that already exist better in older games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
A game does not need to be original to be good.

True. In fact, most of the success in gaming recently has been developers taking pre-existing bits of gameplay and either changing them just slightly, or combining them with other bits of gameplay (sometimes unrelated) and ending up with the next Big Thing.

Game design has devolved into people playing around with a set of pre-defined "blocks" to use to make their games - but there's no one trying to make new blocks.

In fact I would prefer if Indie developers took inspiration from the 90's games.
Far too many developers make something without having any idea what they are doing and most of the time reinvent something that already exist better in older games.

And continuing with the "blocks" metaphor, far too many developers simply don't know where the blocks came from, or how they were used back in the day. There is a real and palpable lack of hindsight in the gaming industry. Developers need to know where they're coming from in order to know where they're going. That means studying the games of yesteryear and Doing the Research.

It's the same thing as with becoming a writer - you have to become a good reader first. That means thumbing through thousands of pages to get a feel for what has come before. This may be why Adventure Game developers seem to be the most well-versed in gaming history - because they recognize the parallels between game design and literature.

Machocruz

Arcane
Nothing can be completely original, but neither does everything have to be fan art. I'm bored by devs who lead with their gaming inspirations, e.g. "Our game is A + B/inspired by X/We wanted to make a game like Y", instead of those influences being subconscious or looked at down the road to help solve design problems after an idea and general play concept has been arrived at, and original solutions have been attempted.

And "blocks" don't have to be other games, they can be books, events in the news, real life interests, an academic subject, dreams, etc.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's very easy to lament the unoriginality of games today -- and I completely agree that there has been a long time since we've seen anything new other than genre mash-ups and refinements of ideas from older games. If the standard for having an original idea is to spontaneously create something as unique as Lemmings, however, I doubt we'll ever see an original idea again, and I don't see that as a great indictment of the industry (I will admit to being biased, since I consider the years following 1991 to be the greatest ever in gaming). For such a discovery to be made there needs to be uncharted territory, and I don't think there are any more frontiers of gaming, not for the type of game that can get by on an idea alone, rather than a gradual advancement of tech. If new "blocks" do in fact exist, they’re bound to be exponentially harder to spot today than in 1991. Then again I'm not much of a video game enthusiast/historian, I just enjoy playing them, so I don't care as much about novelty as I care about quality.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Mmm, yes, journalistic integrity is at its best when the article is a straight out advertisement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom