Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Don Peste

Arcane
Besides the Archive and a few websites like that one I just found, kiwis.world is a great place to get old magazines. Sadly, last month the owner (who is probably Cleveland Mark Blakemore older brother) decided to change to a donation-based system (either money or magazines), only two days after he made the announcement.
http://kiwis.world/index.php/upcoming-changes-to-kiwi-s-world
http://kiwis.world/index.php/complaints-about-the-site
:moddersgonnamod

Of course, I understand the frustration of giving so much and not even getting a thank you in return. Having a better, more accessible website with working comments or a forum might have helped but hey, I understand. He is not even asking for a specific amount, so anything you can donate will grant you access to a large hoard of magazines, and he uploads new files almost daily.

You might need to use the Wayback Machine to see the list of available magazines, or you can see a few here: http://kiwis.world/index.php/news

Don Peste

Arcane
*checks link*

No wonder he's charging for admission, he's stealing currently published magazines.
Well, the "archived issues" are not available for download (archived in the event that they discontinue the title and digital editions are no longer made available).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
5b7b2ef740430.png

People watch ads in between watching other people play games? People paid money not to watch ads in between watching other people play games? Amazon's jewishness is so great that even paying them won't be enough to avoid watching ads in between watching other people play games?

The mind boggles.

"We were determined to give streamers and their viewers the best value in gaming". lol. I guess that changed?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lmaooo Roguey Fargo's trashy ex-wife got busted in Vegas

The co-founder of tech company Broadcom Henry Nicholas was arrested along with Ashley Fargo, reportedly the ex-wife of a Wells Fargo heir. She was found unconscious with a semi-deflated balloon in her mouth. Tom Wait reports.

Modron

Arcane
Wait, "ex-wife of a Wells Fargo heir"?! I gave Kickstarter money to a banking heir?! He said that without me the big evil publisher would never finance Wasteland 2, but he IS FINANCE!
Pretty sure it's been said before that Fargo made all his money in vidya as he is more of a distant relation to the Wells Fargo part of the family.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm amazed sometimes how unoriginal computer games have become. I know that every successful game spawns a wave of "me-too" clones that, at best, only make minor changes to the original and hope to ride its coattails.

The biggest recent example is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, which itself is a refinement of an older idea by some game I can't even be bothered to remember the name of. That game is selling in the millions, so now everyone and their grandmother are releasing "me-too" clones and trying to grab some of that sweet sweet cash.

But it's another example that got my attention this morning. It started with this simple little newspiece:

Paramount Pictures and Weed Road Pictures have set Patrick Osborne to develop, with plans to direct, a film adaptation of the acclaimed mobile puzzle game “Monument Valley”.

The plan is for a live-action/CG hybrid family franchise based on the Ustwo Games title which takes place in a surreal Escher-esque landscape as the player navigates a character across various stages having to change the perspective of elements at different points. The game has had over 160 million downloads worldwide.

Wow. 160 million downloads is a lot. But exactly what game is "Monument Valley"?

Well, it looks like this:

monument-valley-2.jpg

After a quick glance at the game, I can sum it up like so: It's an isometric puzzle game where you control a hat-wearing white protagonist who tampers with the environment to create new paths and reach the goal of each level.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
fez_screen.jpeg

But wait! Surely I must be unfair here! One game is a platformer, while the other is not. And one game is isometric while the other is not. And look! They're walking on the walls there! And look at that M.C. Escher-inspired style! Surely no game has done that before?

007.jpg

At least the graphic style isn't pixellated...

Big Wrangle

You just found out games can be similar? Also I'm pretty sure Monument Valley doesn't really have something of a plot, there is nothing to adapt well in here. Unless you're trying to make some animated arthouse film or something.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You just found out games can be similar? Also I'm pretty sure Monument Valley doesn't really have something of a plot, there is nothing to adapt well in here. Unless you're trying to make some animated arthouse film or something.

No, I've known this for quite a while. In fact, I've stated numerous times that the last game to feature an original idea was released in 1991. It's been downhill rehashes ever since.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Though PUBG was based on that Japan movie where schools pupils fight for their life.
But game? Beside Unreal Tournament mode called Last Man Standing I don't remember any.
Or maybe it was some mod for Half Life? Like they did with Counter Strike.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Wow. 160 million downloads is a lot. But exactly what game is "Monument Valley"?

Well, it looks like this:
I played and posted about it a while ago. It was a pretty good albeit short puzzle game. Nothing too difficult. It's pretty generic and hipsterish though, I agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom