Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

catfood

AGAIN
FIok9lm-Xs-AY3dmo.png

Peachcurl

Cipher

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"according to nintendo copyright and corporation information something is illegal"

That isn't how things work. Company copyright and info don't make laws. Nintendo or any company cannot make laws up. Why don't people get this? This sin't (just) about nintendo - it is just something I saw a few pages back. People quote a company's copyright they splash on their stuff like it's 'the law'. No, it isn't. Copyright can be faught and defeated in court and has been. The issue is not a lot of money have the time, money, and willingneess to fight a corporation the size of nintendo.

But, nintendo does not make laws. Bribery of government officials notwithstanding. L0L

Codex Year of the Donut
Something that has been bothering me for a bit is that game UIs keep adding sounds to basically everything.
When I use a regular program on my computer, rarely ever does it make a single noise. Use a game, and every piece of the GUI makes random noises when you do anything with it. :avatard:

"according to nintendo copyright and corporation information something is illegal"

That isn't how things work. Company copyright and info don't make laws. Nintendo or any company cannot make laws up. Why don't people get this? This sin't (just) about nintendo - it is just something I saw a few pages back. People quote a company's copyright they splash on their stuff like it's 'the law'. No, it isn't. Copyright can be faught and defeated in court and has been. The issue is not a lot of money have the time, money, and willingneess to fight a corporation the size of nintendo.

But, nintendo does not make laws. Bribery of government officials notwithstanding. L0L
Perhaps you've heard of the concept of de facto?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
dollars.png
dollars.png
dollars.png
Damn, I didn't think Zynga was still worth this much: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...take-two-to-buy-zynga-in-deal-worth-usd12-7bn

Take-Two to buy Zynga for staggering $12.7bn
Rockstar deal.

Take-Two, owner of Borderlands publisher 2K and Grand Theft Auto maker Rockstar, has announced it will purchase mobile games giant Zynga for around $12.7bn - making it the most expensive video games acquisition of all time.

Best known for its ever-popular Farmville, Words with Friends and CSR Racing franchises, Zynga will now become part of the Take-Two empire, though continue to make games under its own brand name.

Zynga's other big success stories include Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells, Merge Dragons! and Zynga Poker.

With Zynga tucked inside its trousers, Take-Two said it would become "one of the largest publicly-traded interactive entertainment companies in the world".

Take-Two's plan is to leverage Zynga's development skills to create mobile games based around existing IP. As well as Borderlands and GTA, Take-Two also oversees NBA 2K, Red Dead Redemption, BioShock and Mafia.

At the same time, Take-Two said it was also keen to use Zynga's knowledge of mobile gaming to "drive free-to-play synchronous cross-platform ambitions" in products from its existing internal studios.

"Combining Zynga's expertise in mobile and next-generation platforms with Take-Two's best-in-class capabilities and intellectual property will enable us to further advance our mission to connect the world through games while achieving significant growth and synergies together," Zynga boss Frank Gibeau said.

As developer Simon Roth pointed out, the deal will also include all the Natural Motion animation technology, previously used to great effect in Rockstar games like GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption.

Finally, if it needed to be said, good lord $12.7bn is an eye-opening amount of money. For comparison, Activision paid $5.9bn for Candy Crush company King in 2015, while Microsoft splashed out $7.5bn for Bethesda owner Zenimax Software and all of its studios in 2020. The only deal that comes close to today's is Chinese megacorp Tencent's $10.2bn purchase of Clash of Clans and Clash Royale maker Supercell back in 2016.

Take Two most recently hit the headlines for slapping Josef Fares' It Takes Two with a trademark claim, meaning the acclaimed puzzle game about a pair of divorcing parents had to give up the rights to its own title.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Perhaps you've heard of the concept of de facto?"

'Defacto' or not; Nintendo can't make laws. Everything they put in their little warnings would have to be proven in court to break an already made law. More than a few things in company 'copyrights' are thrown out in court. The issue, of course, is almost nobody has the money, will, and dtermination to take this stuff to court. Of course, most things in copyrights are reasonable and legal because the lawyers for companies know if you put bullshit in you are weakening your case. That doesn't mean companies aren't above putting said bullshit into their copyright to push their agenda.

Again, companies DO NOT MAKE LAWS.

This is FACTZ. The quote I was arguing against claim they do. Again, bribery notwithstanding. L0L

ferratilis

Magister
https://massivelyop.com/2022/01/11/...on-42-are-still-many-years-away-cig-confirms/
Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are still years from launch, CIG confirms
By
Bree Royce
-
January 11, 2022 9:00 AM
starcitizen-EatBurger_Size_16_9_26.03.2020-696x229.jpg

It’s a source of endless frustration for backers and MMO players and a running joke in our own comments: Will Star Citizen ever release, and will we be too old to even play it when it does? Well, we still can’t answer that question, and anyone who does is making it up, but we might have a new window for Squadron 42, the standalone-spinoff game that is supposed to launch before its MMORPG sibling.

The star-studded Squadron 42 was originally meant to launch all the way back in 2014 and missed all of its windows since, with Cloud Imperium’s Chris Roberts telling folks that it “will be done when is done.” By the end of that year, Roberts said he also wouldn’t be showing gameplay for the title in public or discuss release dates until closer to the “home stretch,” presumably owing heavily to the dust-up over those missed windows and roadmaps.

It’s 2022 now, and the studio has suggested in a glossy six-page MCV/Develop spread that the game is still around two years out, largely thanks to Roberts’ move to Manchester, where CIG is in the process of establishing a new base of ops.

“I guess we’ll see how long [Roberts] needs to be over,” CIG COO Carl Jones says. “But yeah, it could be one or two years more. He’s spending more time over here with the Squadron 42 team and with our other developers, but it’ll be this year when he moves over for longer periods of time. Hopefully that means we can progress Squadron 42 through to completion faster. We want to get that game finished, but it will be finished when it’s ready.”

MCV extrapolates that the formation of the new Manchester studio, which will bring the studio to over 1000 workers within five years, means that Star Citizen could be eyeballing a 2027 launch. Jones doesn’t exactly confirm that, but he does say that “by that time, [CIG] will be operating a very large MMORPG.”

Incidentally, MCV asks Jones about the potential for a “metaverse” with Star Citizen, and you can just hear the polite skepticism in Jones’ reply as he clarifies that CIG isn’t planning to be distracted by pie-in-the-sky fads. “Maybe one day we’ll have something that people refer to as a metaverse – we’ll certainly have the technology to build it – but that’s not our business focus. Our focus right now is delivering Star Citizen and Squadron 42 to the community that supported us.”

Finally, Jones addresses the ongoing discrimination scandals in the industry, offering that CIG had already made efforts to improve its diversity to suit its diverse audience well before recent scandals.

Obligatory.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
"This one's so wholesome and sweet that it'll rot your teeth", but it's notable for being only the second game I've come across in 35 years (and the first one in 30 years) that has a second-person perspective.

It also borrows elements from games like Head Over Heels, where you control two characters and each have different abilities.

(Anyone wanna try to guess what that other game was? Hint: It's a sports game.)

A late reply, but I was playing through the second Dread X Collection and one of the games inside it made me think of this post as another second person perspective game.

(Poor quality video but the only other one I could find on Youtube had too much commentary.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom