Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

I want to be a dragon!
lmao look at this scalie
17096.jpg
One, birds have feathers, not scales.
Two, better a bird than a woman.
About that

missingLink.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Gaming died when devs stopped using the game's folder as the save game location.
While I agree that the current situation is awful (the appdata folder is a particular travesty since it's hidden by default), it is good to have a single folder for this in case you need to upgrade/migrate your computer. Instead of copying a dozen different folder in various places, just copy and paste the user folder and you're done.

(Just use steam cloud saves brooo)

catfood

AGAIN
Gaming died when devs stopped using the game's folder as the save game location.
While I agree that the current situation is awful (the appdata folder is a particular travesty since it's hidden by default), it is good to have a single folder for this in case you need to upgrade/migrate your computer. Instead of copying a dozen different folder in various places, just copy and paste the user folder and you're done.

(Just use steam cloud saves brooo)
My main issues is that, for one, I find that it makes much more sense to me for the save files to be present in the same directory as the rest of the game files. Back in ye olde days, when Windows was more prone to malware and general bugs than it is now, I used to install all my games on a partition other than Windows because I used to regularly have to re-install Windows after the inevitable bugs/viruses that plagued the system at the time, so having the games on a separate partition entirely meant that at least those were safe, including my progress data. Windows 7 was the last version that I used and I found it to be very stable compared to the older ones, but old habits and notions die hard I suppose.

The other issue is that, like the above meme points out, there is no standardization and devs just place the save data wiliy-nilly somewhere on the Windows drive. This makes hunting for saves extremely annoying as I often have to go online and search for where the saved games for a particular game might be. If it were one universal folder it would be one thing but the current situation is annoying as hell. Yeah, just use steam cloud saves bro. Fuck the cloud and fuck Steam.

Also, a wild suggestion, probably no one on earth has thought of this before, but could you imagine a game actually giving you the option of choosing the place that you want it to store its save files? Crazy right?

Screenshot-20230922-140659.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know what annoys me the most about it?

Later this year, or early next year, I might buy a new computer because my current one is showing its age (CPU and mainboard are 12 years old by now!) and I've had occasional freeze-ups for some hardware reason.
I have multiple hard drives and SSDs, and would like to move most of them (all except the system drive) to the new PC.
All my games are installed on non-system drives. With the way Steam works, I will easily be able to just move my game drive to another PC, install Steam on that PC, and point its library folder to the one that contains my Steam library.
The installed games will likely work as they are, simple and easy.

But you know what will be missing?
Most of my fucking save games (unless the games use Steam cloud saves) because they're not in the install folder. They're in the "My Files" folder on C.

If you use multiple drives or even just partitions on a single drive, this tendency of modern games to shove all your saves into a system folder is complete bullshit.
Not just somewhere on C, but a system folder.
If you reinstall your Windows, it's gonna get wiped.
The whole point of installing games on different drives is that they won't get wiped if you reinstall your system.
Or that you can just port the entire drive to a new computer if you buy a new rig.

I've been using multiple hard drives for 20 years now. Never installed a game on C in all that time, yet most games insist on dumping their saves in the My Files folder!
I haven't reinstalled my Windows in a long time, but I used to do it more regularly in the past, and I lost a bunch of savegames in the process because I had naively assumed they'd be in the game folder. They weren't. They were in the fucking system partition I just formatted.

Absolute bullshit.

And then there's games that don't just do it to save files, but stuff like ini files too!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom