Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

denizsi

Arcane
Heh, my account has been suspanded again and this time deliberately, for saying that Daggerfall isn't a copyrighted asset of Bethesda, ZeniMax or anybody else (which is very probably true btw) so legally there shouldn't be a problem dowloading it. Account suspended until 2008 and the post deleted.

I searched for it at US copyrights database. According to the website, all copyright records dated after 1978 are in the online database without exception, so if you can't find it there, it's very probably not copyrighted. Most other titles are there, though.

If our realms' physics are different then, logically, so are any calculations.

Retarded comment.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Heh, my account has been suspanded again and this time deliberately, for saying that Daggerfall isn't a copyrighted asset of Bethesda, ZeniMax or anybody else (which is very probably true btw) so legally there shouldn't be a problem dowloading it. Account suspended until 2008 and the post deleted.

Uh, a suspension until 2008 is a ban. Moderators can't ban, so they just suspend you for a long time then an admin goes over at some point and makes the bans permanent.

suleo

Scholar
denizsi said:

I searched for it at US copyrights database. According to the website, all copyright records dated after 1978 are in the online database without exception, so if you can't find it there, it's very probably not copyrighted. Most other titles are there, though.

Is Daggerfall copyrighted or trademarked? There is a difference between the two (but I dont remember the exact details). My guess is, it is probably trademarked.

denizsi

Arcane
I know that but the last time my account has been accidentally suspended, it was "until 2032".

I think that they know that Daggerfall is not copyrighted and it's ok to download it, but they are told to ban and delete posts giving out that truth becase Beth/ZeniMax doesn't want people rushing to Daggerfall downloads which is their legal right whicn Beth/ZeniMax can't profit off.

I made a new thread about copyrights without ever mentioning Beth or Daggerfall. If it attracts attention, and if people send messages there, I will point to Daggerfall later down the road.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=571965

Is Daggerfall copyrighted or trademarked? There is a difference between the two (but I dont remember the exact details). My guess is, it is probably trademarked.

Yes, it's trademarked. I read all I could find and it appears that there's nothing to prevent distribution of trademarked works.

edit: I encourage everyone to spread the word and endorse downloading Daggerfall, since it's legal.

stargelman

Scholar
denizsi said:
I think that they know that Daggerfall is not copyrighted and it's ok to download it, but they are told to ban and delete posts giving out that truth becase Beth/ZeniMax doesn't want people rushing to Daggerfall downloads which is their legal right whicn Beth/ZeniMax can't profit off.
[...]
edit: I encourage everyone to spread the word and endorse downloading Daggerfall, since it's legal.
Boy, your understanding of copyright law is seriously fucked up. "Not copyrighted"? WTF are you rambling on about? :)

denizsi

Arcane
Here is my fucked up understanding (and it may literally be fucked up): If you don'r record a copyright for your work within five years of its publication, it will enter public domain. This applies to films, software, music etc. If I didn't take shit out of their context while reading about it at US copyrights office, then I must be right.

Correct me if I'm wrong so I'll start to try hiding the mess of shit I've created before I'm drown in it.

Now, there is also the possibility that even if my understanding of copyrights is right, it's not so with public domain. However, if there are certain films which entered public domain and are perfectly legal to download due to the reason above, then I must be right again.

Monica21

Scholar
denizsi said:
Here is my fucked up understanding (and it may literally be fucked up): If you don'r record a copyright for your work within five years of its publication, it will enter public domain.
I think that you're wrong: 10 Big Myths About Copyright. "...almost all major nations follow the Berne copyright convention. For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not." Since Daggerfall was created after 1989, then it's copyrighted. I'm not a lawyer, but that's my understanding.

Bah

Arcane
Monica21 said:
I think that you're wrong: 10 Big Myths About Copyright. "...almost all major nations follow the Berne copyright convention. For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not." Since Daggerfall was created after 1989, then it's copyrighted. I'm not a lawyer, but that's my understanding.

You are correct. Registering your copyrighted material with the government only makes it easier if you ever have to go to court to protect your copyright. But, you are inherently granted a copyright on anything you create and are not required to register it with the government for it to be protected.

denizsi

Arcane
I know that everything created is copyrighted with or without a notice or registration, however I was under the false perception that the five-year limit was a drastic factor regarding infringement. Quoting from the US Copyrights Office web site:

Copyright Registration

In general, copyright registration is a legal formality intended to make a public record of the basic facts of a particular copyright. However, registration is not a condition of copyright protection. Even though registration is not a requirement for protection, the copyright law provides several inducements or advantages to encourage copyright owners to make registration. Among these advantages are the following:

* Registration establishes a public record of the copyright claim.

* Before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration is necessary for works of U.S. origin.

* If made before or within 5 years of publication, registration will establish prima facie evidence in court of the validity of the copyright and of the facts stated in the certificate.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#cr

Also:

Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-g ... tml#mywork

I've apparently failed to understand it completely as it obviously means that you can still claim copyright in case of infringement of something you (allegedly) created 5+ years ago but you only have to prove it through other means. The term "prima facie" was new to me and I misinterpreted the meaning looking it up, which ended up as a shit-bag blowing on my face

I can't tell how much it feels like being that stupid bitch stereotype from B-horror movies right now, who always does the most stupid shit to get herself killed.

At least my new thread at ESF got deleted as well!

edit: However, it might not be far off to legally claim that Beth/ZeniMax shouldn't be the copyright owner, since the people who actually made the game have no connection with the company now and it was a whole different company back then compared to today. Well, whatever, I better leave it at there. Enough ass-umptions in a few weeks.

Human Shield

Augur
Wow you found the fucking goldmine.

Well your right in away but some pepole like me like to role play other roles just for fun the concept is to have fun and enjoy the free roam mode more with a set of rules u play by. Like me just the other day I made a Half Demon and his goal was to close all the Oblivion gates and I never used fast travel. Wich made the game fun it felt like I had a goal instead of savin cydoril.

you are acting as if you are the char, you eat, sleep, dont fast travel, and most importantly, you create a back history for your char and make sure to do things that are in character

Yea basicly what defrone said because in this game u can join every guild all at once and become master of all of them but Role playing your makin chooice based on your charthers personalty wich allows u to play in a fun way like say if your a evil charcter and you walk by some one who insulted u like when the RAI says get lost or what do u want instead of walking away Kill him and run or kill the gaurds to lol.

Agreed.If you want to roleplay,you certainly cant do it effectively in Oblivion.Yes,you can act like said person,and you can eat,sleep at appropriate times,and not fast travel,but the game doesnt care.You choices have no effect on the world.If your bad,no one will hate you.If your good,no one will care.

I thought "roleplaying" was supposed to be "fun" not "force-fed." Personally I would be aggrivated if I absolutely HAD to stop and rest/eat/poop EVERY day in the game. Besides, that's what the Sims is for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif).
It's better this way, trust me, bacause this way it's still a game and doesn't become a chore.

"There's no incentive in Oblivion to be bad or good. If you're bad (i.e., killing people, stealing, etc.) there aren't any real consequences. Some guards might come to attack/arrest you, but after you've paid the fine or gone to jail, nothing happens. Everyone gets along like nothing ever happened. Shouldn't people hold a grudge against you if you killed one of their best friends? Not in Oblivion."

After you have paid the fine or gone to jail, you are assumed to have redeemed yourself. You may hold a grudge, I may hold a grudge, but the npcs are a more fogiving people.

[Just do what u find fun. Like wearing your favourite clothes or armour instead of the ones with just the highest rating or best enchantment.]

"...to no end whatsoever. The sole purpose of doing that is to look cool, not to role-play."

But that is what role playing is all about. Doing the cool things tou want to do.

Taking time off to eat and sleep is still role playing.

I don't know how others roleplay, but if I was playing a cold-hearted killer with really high infamy, I wouldn't be playing the persuasion game at all. You see, the character wouldn't really care if anyone liked them.

And yet if that wasn't an option you'd have people complaining that they can't get NPCs disposition up high enough to complete a quest or it forces them to take a path in that quest that they didn't want. Better to have the option there and let people do what they want with it than forcing people to hardcore roleplay.

Think of it like LARPING, except much cooler.

Monica21

Scholar
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=572630&st=0

10 bucks says that Rainer will join the Codex forums after a month of actualy playing the game. We all know what happend to Frankie
This response saddens me:
Goncradulations!!
Dictionaries do have a purpose. :? Although, no one's ever claimed that Oblivion players are the most literate bunch.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Romanian_Dude2005 said:

10 bucks says that Rainer will join the Codex forums after a month of actualy playing the game. We all know what happend to Frankie

I don't get why he's such a celebrity among the illiterate morons population that cesspool, whe he hasn't even suffered Gruelblivion up until now.

golgotha

Liturgist
Admiral jimbob said:
Romanian_Dude2005 said:

I don't get why he's such a celebrity among the illiterate morons population that cesspool, whe he hasn't even suffered Gruelblivion up until now.
Because he seems to use paragraphs. Thats like showing fire to the cavemen.

KreideBein

Scholar
From this thread I posted last night:

What 90% of you apparently miss is that using your definition of RPG, everything, from Doom to Serious Sam to Madden NFL to Gran Turismo to Starcraft, is an RPG.

Yeah.

So?

Behold, the new RPG generation.

Bah

Arcane
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
Something tells me that he was being sarcastic. Yeah... I know the joke itself sucks, but no matter how neuron-killing Oblivion is... no 22 year old would intentionaly say something THAT stupid!

You don't know many 22 year olds in America do you?

KreideBein

Scholar
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
I corect myself then: no 22 year old who's member in a internet forum (you know, you have to read and write in that place) and has the majority of his posts in the Lore section would intentionaly say something THAT stupid!

We're talking about the ESF here. Nothing is too stupid for them. She goes on to pretty much solidify her position as moron of the day. I am very, very close to giving up entirely on that forum.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
@KreideBein
Hey!
Remember when you said this:
KreideBein @ TESFstapo said:
It's the reincarnation of MASTERCHIEF12345! Clear the board, the master has returned.
I'll let you know that I AM OBLIBIANMAN123!

KreideBein

Scholar
OccupatedVoid said:
@KreideBein
Hey!
It's the reincarnation of MASTERCHIEF12345! Clear the board, the master has returned.

Ah, I vaguely remember... what was the context for that? All I remember was that I was responding to a post that seemed impossibly stupid.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
KreideBein said:
OccupatedVoid said:
@KreideBein
Hey!

Ah, I vaguely remember... what was the context for that? All I remember was that I was responding to a post that seemed impossibly stupid.
Here's that post :) :
ya the grafix in Oblibian r the gratest lol!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom