Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gotta be fake

LundB

Mistakes were made.
SCO do I look like a journalist to you? Unlike them, I do my fucking fact-checking.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
MctM0PZ.png

Oh man, I wonder what sort of friends he has, and what sort of company he works at, for this to not be social/career suicide?

WD8D6py.png

Oh.
Maybe Bioware will be the first to produce a game with tastefully done rape.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Why can't I play as a woman in a game with an estabilished character or a game set in a men's prison?
They're just discriminating against woman with not so tasteful prison rape fantasies.
Mature audiences of west are not so mature when it comes to sex,gore,rape,fetishes like our asian bros.Most we get in west is arms chopping,eye goulging and showing tits.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I can understand that. Imagine all the royalties the guy who made the troll face is raking in each day.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The hard life of a mobile shovelware developer: http://makeitbigingames.com/2013/05/we-cant-make-it-here-anymore/

I still love the mobile market, and Spotkin will continue to make games for it, but we are changing the way we go about it. Over the next couple of years there will be literally billions of mobile devices in the hands of people, but the App Store discovery system is so broken that the “long tail” barely exists. Your game is either a hit or it is not, and in fact, even most of the “hits” are not working out (see below). If you consider that there are literally hundreds of thousands of games in the marketplace and several hundred more per day entering the market, there is not enough room on the virtual “shelves.” Finding a game that is not in the Top 100, is nearly impossible. Even if you know the name of the game you are looking for, search is so broken you can barely find it. Put another way, hundreds of thousands of games are vying for about 200-300 slots that are readily seen when a player opens the app store on their device.

Of course, we have all heard the siren song of the unbelievable success of Clash of Clans, CSR Racing, and Puzzle and Dragons, but no self resecting Indie developer believes they will get that kind of success. However, they do think the next level down is attainable. Many, many Indie studios can make a game like Ski Safari or Plague, Inc., but even those games are incredible outliers with only a few coming each year.

So, instead let’s examine a game like Color Sheep from my friend Tom Eastman’s company, Trinket Studios. Color Sheep is a simple game with a nice play mechanic and great art. In spite of winning the two “app store lotteries” and getting featured by both Apple and Google along with stories in the New York Times and on huge traffic YouTube channels, their game has only sold around 50,000 copies, which has grossed $35,000 (after app store cuts). Considering that they spent $10,000 to launch and market their games at PAX, they have netted $25,000 before paying their wages. This is great because they do get to live another day (assuming Raman livability) and make another round of games, but what are the odds your game is going to do this?

Well, according to 148apps.com, there are an average of 126 games per day entering the Apple App Store, so that is 882 games per week or nearly 46,000 per year. Assuming Apple features five games per week, your odds of getting featured are .56%. The odds are actually a little lower than that because any time a popular company like Rovio releases a new game, it is essentially an auto-feature. So, Color Sheep could essentially be called a one in a thousand game. Do you have what it takes to make a game like that?

Gerrard

Arcane
Nope: http://jacobgrady.com/

Is not that he only sees and share hentai on facebook, he fucking CREATED the biggest hentai website around. And worked on StarWars:Old Republic.
A site that is essentially a piracy hub. And most of the stuff being pirated could be classified as indie.
Why isn't he in jail yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom