Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nope: http://jacobgrady.com/

Is not that he only sees and share hentai on facebook, he fucking CREATED the biggest hentai website around. And worked on StarWars:Old Republic.
A site that is essentially a piracy hub. And most of the stuff being pirated could be classified as indie.
Why isn't he in jail yet?
Japanese doujin circles do not give a fuck about gaijin boners.

Gerrard

Arcane

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't change the fact.
My point is that companies actually licensing non hentai manga generally do not bother to go after scanlating sites, so the odds of anyone sending C&D on behalf of Japanese smut artists who do not even care are pretty low.

Cassidy

Arcane

Is not that he only sees and share hentai on facebook, he fucking CREATED the biggest hentai website around. And worked on StarWars:Old Republic.
A site that is essentially a piracy hub. And most of the stuff being pirated could be classified as indie.
Japanese doujin circles do not give a fuck about gaijin boners.
Doesn't change the fact.

:keepmyjewgold:

Aren't Japanese.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
His point is that is still completly illegal, the break more laws than pirate bay, since he hosts the files, and yet he can freely say he founded it and even get hired as if was no big deal.

Greatest example of US double-standards on their battle against piracy... using a Metallica song as track to your youtube video has more legal consequences than hosting and freely distribuiting every hentai ever made by man.

evdk

Patron
His point is that is still completly illegal, the break more laws than pirate bay, since he hosts the files, and yet he can freely say he founded it and even get hired as if was no big deal. Greatest example of US double-standards on their battle against piracy... using a Metallica song as track to your youtube video has more legal consequences than hosting and freely distribuiting every hentai ever made by man.
Those works are not licensed to anybody outside of Japan, so there is noone but the original creators that can legally object. I doubt somebody is in a hurry to license "I fucked my little sister in all her holes-desu" and defend the IP in court.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.

If it was not legally published in the country of question they generally allow fan translation for anime and games.They don't allow selling them but they allow the fan sites generally.
Most fan translators of moonspeak games don't have legal problems unless they keep publishing their works when it's licensed in their country.

Maybe the reason for this is legal system in japan is less retarded than american system when it comes to copyright laws.(You won't see major publisher suing your granny 3 million $ just for naming her new cooking book final cookie 7)
I'm not entirely sure about that of course but there are no jew lawyers there that can sue you for absurd copyright claims so they are more tolerant against fans that want to share their work in overseas.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/wall-punch-physics.php

A man was recently paid actual money to speak on the behalf of an entire company, hoping to improve its fortunes with this proclamation about the near future: "It will no longer be acceptable to walk into a room where you can't punch a hole in the wall".

Let's savor that line for a moment. In the absence of any context, it's a thing of beauty.

Right, time for context. The man was Andrew Bowell, and he was representing Havok, a video game middleware company. Basically, when a developer wants their game to include physics they come to Havok and buy some physics. When a barrel gets knocked over and proceeds to roll over the twitching corpses of three identical mutants, that takes around $100 worth of physics. And that's only like five seconds. When you consider how many physics would be needed in an eight to twelve hour game and extrapolate the costs, you'll realize that Havok is in position to make a ton of money which may or may not vibrate until it flies off in a random direction.

So, naturally, that statement about punching holes through walls was self-serving. Havok wants the upcoming console generation to go nuts with physics. If everyone can blast through walls in every single game, the movement of every chunk of plaster will have to be calculated and Havok will become more profitable than Apple.

But is all that wall destruction a good idea? I had a terrific time punching through walls in Deus Ex: Human Revolution to access dusty sealed-up rooms containing energy bars and handguns, but is it really something we need in every game?

I'm really excited about an upcoming game called Gone Home. It's entirely about curiosity and exploration rather than bombast and violence. You wander alone through a highly detailed house and inspect everyday items to find out where everyone went, piecing together a mental portrait of a family as you solve the mystery. Imagine how great it would be if you could find a Riot Grrl mixtape, rifle through a stack of hidden postcards, contemplate the endless possibilities before a young woman and the missed opportunities that quietly haunt parents, then drive your fist through a wall and watch as each individual brick topples to the carpet in a dynamic explosion of force. Now that's what I call gaming.

I'm on board with the wall punching. Absolutely. Havok isn't the only middleware company with something to say about the future of video games, though.

Trees in games used to be pretty much identical, four-sided rectangles with 2D branch sprites sticking out at right angles. Modern games demand more detail and variety, but modeling hundreds of trees by hand is a colossal undertaking for any studio. This is where SpeedTree comes in with their highly sophisticated tree algorithms. Think back to your favorite tree from a video game. That was probably made by the fine folks at SpeedTree. Not to be outdone by Havok, they released a statement of their own about the next generation of consoles.

"There is simply no reason why there can't be a tree in every room. Or even better, a forest in every room. The setting of the game doesn't matter. Whether it's a zombie RPG or a gritty modern take on Paperboy, each room should be bursting at the seams with trees. This is 2013. We're living in the future. Hardware is more powerful than ever. Gamers simply will not tolerate a room without trees."

Within hours, Fork Particle put out a similar statement extolling the virtues of video game rooms containing so many particle effects that it's not possible to see your own virtual hand. RAD Game Tools also chimed in, citing research which indicated that modern gamers expect every surface in a room to be illuminated by projected full motion video, preferably delivered by the company's Bink format.

I don't know about you guys, but all of this is getting me pretty excited about the future of gaming. In a few short months we could be playing the 27th Call Of Duty, standing in particle-clouded cinema forest rooms, punching through any wall we please while our A.I. partner yells at us to follow a flashing objective marker.

Dexter

Arcane
His point is that is still completly illegal, the break more laws than pirate bay, since he hosts the files, and yet he can freely say he founded it and even get hired as if was no big deal.

Greatest example of US double-standards on their battle against piracy... using a Metallica song as track to your youtube video has more legal consequences than hosting and freely distribuiting every hentai ever made by man.
This is a strange thing for him to do indeed, since as far as I know he has to worry about entirely other things than if it constitutes "piracy":
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1466A
http://www.katu.com/news/weird/104900009.html

DraQ

Arcane
Those works are not licensed to anybody outside of Japan, so there is noone but the original creators that can legally object. I doubt somebody is in a hurry to license "I fucked my little sister in all her holes-desu" and defend the IP in court.
Paedophilia then.

"Find me a man and I'll find a paragraph."

Havok is in position to make a ton of money which may or may not vibrate until it flies off in a random direction.
:lol:

Though punching holes in walls (via whatever means available) does have more potential to improve gameplay than shitty speedtree trees.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Punching through walls will be great if they can use it to enhance the game's reactivity more (ie. hidden paths etc.) but given the state of game industry, I bet it will be only used for gimmicky crap.

Dexter

Arcane
Punching through walls will be great if they can use it to enhance the game's reactivity more (ie. hidden paths etc.) but given the state of game industry, I bet it will be only used for gimmicky crap.
Anyone remember Warmonger?

Or Cellfactor Revolution?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I am pro-punching holes through walls.

As a fan of the TRUE X-COM, I believe turning the whole enviroment into burning embers and atom-sized remants is the best way to defeat any enemy.

I simply cannot believe we still tolerate games where we get acess to bazookas and fireball spells without the ability of using these things to their true potential.

Hear hear! For games such as this, being able to bring down a warehouse on your enemies must be an option!

DraQ

Arcane
I am pro-punching holes through walls.

As a fan of the TRUE X-COM, I believe turning the whole enviroment into burning embers and atom-sized remants is the best way to defeat any enemy.

I simply cannot believe we still tolerate games where we get acess to bazookas and fireball spells without the ability of using these things to their true potential.

Hear hear! For games such as this, being able to bring down a warehouse on your enemies must be an option!
This.

We don't want anyone's derpy emoshunal engagement or cutscenes or other such shit. We want the environment to be simulated to sufficient depth for tactics such as collapsing a building on the heads of our enemies via spell or liberal application of high explosives to become viable.
We don't care for some premade, identical half-baked epic stories by some half-baked game wirters, we want to create our own unique epic stories through gameplay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-03-fire-emblem-dlc-censored-in-the-west

:patriot:

also, from the comments section:

NoNudity.jpg

dat neck :lol:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Red Faction: Guerilla was a good example of using destructible environment. The plot wasn't great but all the side missions involving enemy installations and buildings made this game so much fun. After tinkering with some gun and seeing them collapse with enemies still inside... The first one, FPP started this trend in the series. Using C4 on walls was a nice gimmick. I heard that Battlefield Bad Company too provided such option.

EmoBunny

Savant
Red Faction: Guerilla was a good example of using destructible environment. The plot wasn't great but all the side missions involving enemy installations and buildings made this game so much fun. After tinkering with some gun and seeing them collapse with enemies still inside... The first one, FPP started this trend in the series. Using C4 on walls was a nice gimmick. I heard that Battlefield Bad Company too provided such option.

Red Faction: Guerilla is a great destructible game, another fine example is Mercenaries 2.

DraQ

Arcane
First RF was pretty retarded in this regard - they made this awesome engine that could handle riddling entire level with holes, tunnels and whatnot, then partitioned the levels with indestructible walls to keep it from getting in the way of linear narrative.

Overall still more than just good FPS, but that was baffling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom