Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
You aren't asking for mere changes for "more of a similar look and feel of the forum as before" -- this has been done. You are demanding an 1:1 exact copy as if any minor change is going to bring the world crashing down.
It does not have to be a "1:1 exact copy". What we disagree on is whether enough steps towards more of a similar look and feel of the forum as before have been taken. I think that most of the forum is fine now, but the look and feel of the main page can still be improved. You said just as much as well, except maybe you have other ideas on what this improvement should look like.

Only when you're trying to sell me an outdated 20 year old layout as superior in every way, when I know better.
And again, everyone else has "subjective opinions" and only Taluntain objectively "knows better".

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
And again, everyone else has "subjective opinions" and only Taluntain objectively "knows better".
I'm basing it on my professional experience and knowledge, which usually tends to count for a little more than a regular uninformed subjective opinion. But yes, everyone's opinion is subjective to an extent.

The difference between a regular forum user and a forum admin is primarily in the fact that admins tend to have a vision for the next X number of years and the necessary background knowledge to know what is needed and required to get there (and how). Regular forum users usually tend only to see the present moment and what came immediately before. I'm sure you realize how this can be a problem in the long term.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
We went through these exact same arguments after the site moved from vbulletin to xenforo. Massive, glorious autistic faggotry.

The brofist button caused a huge row.
Except the Codex never used vBulletin.

Pretty sure our history is phpBB 2 ->> phpBB 3 ->> XenForo ->> XenForo 2

agris

Arcane
Patron
Twiglard I know you aren't 100% happy with the green online indicator and are thinking of nixing it. I have a small ocd suggestion to (maybe) make it look better. Try placing the center of the icon over the bottom-right corner of a hypothetical full-sized avatar. I know not all user avatars are full sized, but for the ones that are I think this will look better - more like something being pinned to the image, rather than just an element overlay. For the cropped avatars it likely won't make a difference.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I still think removing the online indicator entirely is the way to go. What's the point of it other than taking up space?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The difference between a regular forum user and a forum admin is primarily in the fact that admins tend to have a vision for the next X number of years and the necessary background knowledge to know what is needed and required to get there (and how). Regular forum users usually tend only to see the present moment and what came immediately before. I'm sure you realize how this can be a problem in the long term.

You misspelled augur.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The old way of handling emojis wasn't really great, but the new one is kind of the same but worse tbh? (not talking about reactions, but adding emojis or local gifs to your post)

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So that you can see when someone's online in a discussion and whether you can expect a response soon, among other things.
I understand your point here, but what do you think of it aesthetically? Personally I think it's kind of ugly and there's probably not anywhere you can put it where it would look good. You're not wrong on the benefits of having it, but I don't think they outweigh the cost to aesthetics. Obviously this is a nitpick and I don't feel strongly about it, but it is kind of ugly.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
So that you can see when someone's online in a discussion and whether you can expect a response soon, among other things.
I understand your point here, but what do you think of it aesthetically? Personally I think it's kind of ugly and there's probably not anywhere you can put it where it would look good. You're not wrong on the benefits of having it, but I don't think they outweigh the cost to aesthetics. Obviously this is a nitpick and I don't feel strongly about it, but it is kind of ugly.
The biggest problem with it is that it can't be reliably placed anywhere on the avatars themselves because they're not uniform in size or shape. Taking that into account, it would make sense to try out solutions independent of the avatars, either putting a small indicator next to the username, or maybe some kind of green underline below the avatar, etc. But at this point the priority should be getting the site front page back up, such cosmetic changes can wait.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I know this discussion was a while back in the thread, or maybe in a different thread, but I'm going to bring it up again while I'm thinking about it. With the quote pyramid thing, some users are butthurt that you can make quote pyramids, and other users were butthurt when the quote button only quoted the post being replied to. Would it be possible to find a middle ground? Like maybe have it limit to the last two or three posts? I hate quote pyramids, but when I'm on my 15 minute break at work and being a phonefag, editing down the quotes is too much trouble and takes too long.

Also it would be really nice if we could get page numbers on mobile like we have on the desktop site. I often times miss going to the next page because it's not obvious that I'm not on the last page at a quick glance when I'm on mobile since it's just a number and not a series of buttons.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Would it be possible to find a middle ground? Like maybe have it limit to the last two or three posts? I hate quote pyramids, but when I'm on my 15 minute break at work and being a phonefag, editing down the quotes is too much trouble and takes too long.
The problem with quote pyramids was that the old {quote} was indented very deeply with each post. So it only took a few of them till the next one was squished so much that each paragraph took lots of vertical space like

t
h
i
s

It's no longer a problem because quotes are now indented only by 20 pixels (from 60 pixels before the move).

If we even start making changes to the backend code, the first thing to do is fixing the damn rating sort order. But we're not there yet.
As for the numbers, I thought Twiglard fixed that?
They seem to be working at the top and bottom of each page, yeah.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
As for the numbers, I thought Twiglard fixed that?
He probably made some kind of change but they don't look the same on mobile vs desktop. On desktop they look like this:
Untitled.png

But on mobile they look like this:
Screenshot_20220618-122840.png

Having multiple buttons like on desktop would make it much easier to tell at a glance if I'm on the last page. The mobile version looks the same no matter what page you are on with only the number in the center changing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom