Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I finished the game.

I liked it much better than the other Bioshocks (I played the first one for 2h, the second one for 20 mins). All games suffer from extreme linearity. The first two games were so fucking boring I couldn't play them.

+ environments and presentation (I guess that's what 200 mils buy you)
+ story (it's not fantastic but it's different which counts for something I guess)
+ music (beach boys and creedence)

- action (essentially it's duke nukem forever except you can hook onto skyrails)
- sounds and sound mixing
- level design (ultra linearity, not a single alternate path to take ever)

Dishonored is a much better game. Infinite has a more focused story, or whatever the fuck you want to call it (but that's because Dishonored tells several stories, with a much richer backdrop. Infinite is just one on-rails story).
Either way it's popamole extreme.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Okay, so I finally managed to play through it and here are my thoughts:

- Game is very linear (a lot more linear than Bioshock 1 or even 2 seemed to be)

That's my main problem with it. It's not like Bioshock and Bioshock 2 were bashed for being too complicated, so why they turned it into a tunnel is beyond me.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So, Zed, basically the most important aspects of a shooter in this game blow is what you're saying.
Good to know.
yeah.

unless you get off on watching some woman do Dreamworks facial expressions, I wouldn't pick this over Dishonored.

OTOH I wouldn't pick Dishonored over, say, Half-Life or Portal.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Meh, no surprises there.
I am fucking disgusted though still that a person gets maybe, MAYBE 13 hours out of the game first time out.
Such bullshit.
The fact that the game starts up in a similar way to the original Bioshock is aggravating as well.
Once again, kind of unoriginal. What, they can't think of a better way to do it? Really? Gimme a break.
Horseshit.

I do wonder about things like the voice work having already been recorded so they couldn't go back and change it, etc, and how far behind the game really, really was.
Anyone care to tell me if it felt like it was an finished piece of trash or what?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
[mildly spoilerish but not really] IMO the story got an interesting twist at the end. A twist that should have happened a lot earlier IMO. Could have opened up for some cool non-linear stuff. But no. Roll credits instead. :roll:

EDIT: IMO IMO IMO fuck you IMO

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I finished the game.

I liked it much better than the other Bioshocks (I played the first one for 2h, the second one for 20 mins). All games suffer from extreme linearity. The first two games were so fucking boring I couldn't play them.

+ story (it's not fantastic but it's different which counts for something I guess)

- action (essentially it's duke nukem forever except you can hook onto skyrails)

Dishonored is a much better game. Infinite has a more focused story, or whatever the fuck you want to call it (but that's because Dishonored tells several stories, with a much richer backdrop. Infinite is just one on-rails story).

Bingo. Of course gaudaost will denounce people as hipsters if they have the temerity to expect a game to actually be... a game as opposed to something that can only be praised for its environments, story, and music.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shittaku has a stupid editorial up about the violence in this game being evil. I like this quote in particular:

BioShock Infinite is in many ways so, so close to being That Game, the one we can show to our non-gamer friends and say "See? Look at this! It is so awesome! Check out the story! It's like LOST! How neat is this?" But it's not That Game, because it's so hilariously, egregiously violent that a large number of people will never give it a chance.

I tend to look for games that I could show to my sister, and have a similar feeling to Plante about Infinite. I wish I could show her this game, but after about the hour-mark, I'd lose her attention. She'd see the absolutely insane violence of the melee kills and say "Well, this is dumb," and get up to go do something else.

I just want to find this guy and scream at the top of my lungs directly into his face "WHY DO YOU CARE IF YOUR SISTER LIKES VIDEO GAMES?!?!?!" This horeshit "wah I wish everyone liked video games" impulse has ruined our hobby.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Meh, no surprises there.
I am fucking disgusted though still that a person gets maybe, MAYBE 13 hours out of the game first time out.
Such bullshit.
The fact that the game starts up in a similar way to the original Bioshock is aggravating as well.
Once again, kind of unoriginal. What, they can't think of a better way to do it? Really? Gimme a break.
Horseshit.

I do wonder about things like the voice work having already been recorded so they couldn't go back and change it, etc, and how far behind the game really, really was.
Anyone care to tell me if it felt like it was an finished piece of trash or what?
It feels "finished" and very polished but there are several parts in the game where shit does not make sense, period. I already pointed out the escape to Battleship Bay where you wash up on a beach and there are about a billion plot holes in how you get there, but there are similar numbers of plot holes and inconsistencies between sections of the game from time to time as well. It's like there were entire sections of the game missing and they just cut-and-paste things together, patching it up as best they could but without the time to have it make complete sense, so if you pick at it you suddenly notice how broken it all is.

There's nothing horrendously wrong with it, but if you compare it to a game like Half-Life 2, BioShock Infinite is basically the same game but made by a less talented team and with obviously much less creative consistency and oversight. You can really tell that Infinite was like 3 different games, started and restarted multiple times with some parts left in and some parts removed, all with different sort of tone and gameplay ideas which were mostly stripped out before the final release. It feels very much like a patchwork, which is why the story is so full of obvious filler and holes, and why there are hints of good ideas in the level design and some game mechanics but they seem very unrealized.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Felt kinda jarring how the whole revolution was heavily foreshadowed throughout the start of the game, then just kinda shafted at the 2/3's point of the game in favour of wibbly wobbly tear antics.

Direwolf

Arcane
This is going to be worse than DA2. There is going to be universal feeling of hate for this game in less than a fortnight. Every single person who gave it more than 4/10 will be embarrassed about it by the end of the year. The game will not appear on any GOTY2013 lists.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Shittaku has a stupid editorial up about the violence in this game being evil. I like this quote in particular:

BioShock Infinite is in many ways so, so close to being That Game, the one we can show to our non-gamer friends and say "See? Look at this! It is so awesome! Check out the story! It's like LOST! How neat is this?" But it's not That Game, because it's so hilariously, egregiously violent that a large number of people will never give it a chance.
I tend to look for games that I could show to my sister, and have a similar feeling to Plante about Infinite. I wish I could show her this game, but after about the hour-mark, I'd lose her attention. She'd see the absolutely insane violence of the melee kills and say "Well, this is dumb," and get up to go do something else.

I just want to find this guy and scream at the top of my lungs directly into his face "WHY DO YOU CARE IF YOUR SISTER LIKES VIDEO GAMES?!?!?!" This horeshit "wah I wish everyone liked video games" impulse has ruined our hobby.
Murder should be legal in some cases. Consider a cleasing of the species. Why such morons are allowed to reproduce and worse why they can get money by saying so much bullshit. This "Gamers are serious people too and totally not nerds" from gaming journalists is so pathetic, those idiots don't have even a shadow of self respect.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
This is going to be worse than DA2. There is going to be universal feeling of hate for this game in less than a fortnight. Every single person who gave it more than 4/10 will be embarrassed about it by the end of the year. The game will not appear on any GOTY2013 lists.
MGS4 all over again, in other words?

Dexter

Arcane

Yeah, I don't think so:

doritos.png

3zzi8.jpg

abc_doritos_princess_mi_130204_wblog.jpg

1280-doritos-bird-of-prey-super-bowl.jpg

:kfc:

abija

Prophet
The overall art design of Columbia is great, but when you look at a fruit basket or a bunch of flowers and it's just a texture with 3 separate fruits laid on top of it, that feels kind of meh.
Just NO. They should focus on more complex levels with less details not spend even more resources on pointless shit like that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Dragon Age 2 was an incompetent mess. This game is just linear and too cinematic, which are the style now.

So no, not really.

aris

Arcane
I finished the game.

Bingo. Of course gaudaost will denounce people as hipsters if they have the temerity to expect a game to actually be... a game as opposed to something that can only be praised for its environments, story, and music.
Nopes. I won't. I will say that those three pluses are enough reasons to play and enjoy a game. What remains of PS:T if it didn't have these qualities?

aris

Arcane
I said no such thing. I asked: What remains of PS:T if it didn't have these qualities?
o_O Where's your reality perception man? It's not a common trait among codexers to have one, but this is just embarrasing.

I said no such thing. I asked: What remains of PS:T if it didn't have these qualities?

Yes, and I'm merely slightly exaggerating your already entirely ridiculous supposition. Other than the fact that PS:T had other good qualities, there is the fact that Infinite:BS is at best barely above mediocre in the instances where it wasn't shit, while PS:T was very, very good.

aris

Arcane
Which other good qualities did PS:T have?
It feels "finished" and very polished but there are several parts in the game where shit does not make sense, period. I already pointed out the escape to Battleship Bay where you wash up on a beach and there are about a billion plot holes in how you get there, but there are similar numbers of plot holes and inconsistencies between sections of the game from time to time as well. It's like there were entire sections of the game missing and they just cut-and-paste things together, patching it up as best they could but without the time to have it make complete sense, so if you pick at it you suddenly notice how broken it all is.

There's nothing horrendously wrong with it, but if you compare it to a game like Half-Life 2, BioShock Infinite is basically the same game but made by a less talented team and with obviously much less creative consistency and oversight. You can really tell that Infinite was like 3 different games, started and restarted multiple times with some parts left in and some parts removed, all with different sort of tone and gameplay ideas which were mostly stripped out before the final release. It feels very much like a patchwork, which is why the story is so full of obvious filler and holes, and why there are hints of good ideas in the level design and some game mechanics but they seem very unrealized.
Care to elaborate? That post had a whole lot of edgyness but is almost completely devoid of actual examples to support your arguments. That's something I'd expect from any other codexer, but not from you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom