Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Alright, finished it in 1999 mode in roughly 15 hours. The game was definitely too easy for me, and started to be very good when I reached Emporia. Everything from this point until the end is solid, and I really enjoyed most of the combat, but it took me 10 hours to reach Emporia, so yeah the middle part of the game is very meh overall.
The ending is beautiful in a design sense, but it's trying too hard to be complicated and symbolic. I don't care one bit about christian themes so this is maybe why. Overall it's breddy gud but far from being the masterpiece everyone's saying.

WalmartJesus

Learned
On a military spaceship on a groundbreaking mission, where one would expect the disciplined, well-trained crew to be keeping meticulous logs of events, and where said logs could usually be found in their quarters, on their corpses or in important areas. It's evidence of Bioshock's talentless "me-too" design that they thought that would transfer sensibly to an underwater city where random civilians get overwhelming compulsions to scream into jukeboxes about Bible importing and throw them into plant pots.

Wasnt implying that BS1 was on the same level of quality as SS2. I just see nothing wrong with the idea of Audiologs being used for the game ....the actual content is a whole different argument.

And as derpy as some of the logs were in BS1 , I actually preferred them to being bombarded with cut-scenes/cinematics that the player has no control over.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Bioshock 1-2 had you find audio book every 2-3 minutes and they soon lost their novelty because of that so it would have been better if they could add a bit of variation to the items from the past: like diaries,videos,writing on the walls,picture books,mails,newspapers,records...
It would enhance the atmosphere(it's really odd that there were 250 audio diaries in rapture).

Diablo169

Arcane
Just finished it, i enjoyed it for the most part. It was far too easy and I feel that maybe they tried to fit a little too much mindfuck in at the last second. When I think back to everything the game showed you though all the clues were there.

On a military spaceship on a groundbreaking mission, where one would expect the disciplined, well-trained crew to be keeping meticulous logs of events, and where said logs could usually be found in their quarters, on their corpses or in important areas. It's evidence of Bioshock's talentless "me-too" design that they thought that would transfer sensibly to an underwater city where random civilians get overwhelming compulsions to scream into jukeboxes about Bible importing and throw them into plant pots.
Lot of the SS2 logs was left at some pretty illogical places too. And it had overabundance of the "oh no, you've killed me" kind.
They definitely weren't perfect, and a couple of them were certainly a bit artificial or unnecessary, but on the whole, I think they were a good addition to the game that didn't often feel out-of-place. Bioshock had a scant handful of decent ones, I guess - I can't remember any, just that it did manage decent atmosphere in a couple of areas - but most of them were utterly stupid and senseless. There was just no reason for them to be in the game as a whole except because System Shock 2 did them first, and the context is too radically different for it still to work.

Well, the game is set in a ruined, almost deserted city, and there is a focus on the story of how that happened. If you don't wanna have creepy apocalyptic logs laying around, not much you can do in this case to compensate for the lack of information everywhere else, other than maybe having the few normal people you meet serve as massive infodumps.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For the record, by "mildly complex" I mean anything beyond "you can tell there was a disaster here because there are corpses and rubble and shit".
If it were easy, you wouldn't need talent. Now I do not begrudge any game using the apocalyptic log trope, because as noted doing it in other ways is "hella hard" at times, but I have a special hate for Ken and his inflated ego. If you are so awesome then show it, motherfucker.

lightbane

Arcane
So, I was wondering: What ingame excuse do they have now for developing these totally-not-Plasmids/random super-powers in not-Rapture? Magical flying amoebas?

aris

Arcane
I've found an incredibly powerful setup, that in the late stages of the game, has made it pretty much easy.

I use the shotgun with both upgrades, charge with both upgrades and the items that gives me brief invurneability when picking up health items and the item that stuns nearby enemies when you kill an enemy with excessive damage. This way, I can charge in, shoot them in the face with a shotgun, which usually kills them stunning all the other, rinse and repeat until all are dead. It's imperative to pick up whatever they have on their body, to get that precious invurneability, when you are not invurneably from charging. It is definitely overpowered, but oh so fun!

I also have the item which causes enemies to drop some vigor and the one that allows me to use health when I'm empty of vigor, which are incredibly useful as an addition to this setup.

AMG

Arbiter
People trashing this game and those saying it is better than awesome button should both re-examine, re-re-re-re-examine their priorities, and draw new conclusions.

Diablo169

Arcane
It's hardly the second coming of christ, i found it to be an enjoyable journey presented really well in a great setting. The game play itself was nothing special and it's a testament to how mediocre story based FPS's are these days that everyone is sucking the games dick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom