Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware in chart

Marobug

octavius said:
Faced with a shitty game you have three options:

1. Avoid it
2. Mod it to playability
3. Play it and complain endlessly how shitty it is.

3. is not the smart choice...

There's also option 5, which is the one I go for the most.

5.Play it for a while, realize how shitty it is and move on.

There's always option 6 and some people's favourite:

6.Play it for a while, realize it's quite good and play it until the end. Once you're finished go to the codex, and mock it like it's biggest piece of shit ever. Because in the codex bashing mainstream games is teh shit and doing what everyone is doing makes you feel less inferior to others. :thumbsup:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marobug said:
octavius said:

1. Avoid it
2. Mod it to playability

6.Play it for a while, realize it's quite good and play it until the end. Once you're finished go to the codex, and mock it like it's biggest piece of shit ever. Because in the codex bashing mainstream games is teh shit and doing what everyone is doing makes you feel less inferior to others. :thumbsup:

You are so pathetic twilight boy.
It is not like people on the codex disagree about things and even admit to liking things.
"God for what it is" ring a bell?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I see that many people dislike JE compared to other BW games. I wonder why. I liked it a lot more than the Kotor, which I tried twice and abandoned out of pure boredom both times. JE felt like something at least a bit fresh and properly tongue-in-cheek."

JE is awesome. It is easily one of BIO's better games and certainly better than the overrated and merely average KOTOR.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But seriously, this is the best DA2-related thread so far.

Marobug

CrimsonAngel said:
Marobug said:
octavius said:

1. Avoid it
2. Mod it to playability

It is not like people on the codex disagree about things and even admit to liking things.

Ahahah right, people disagree with each other, unless it comes to bioware or bethesda. Then the codex unites against the evil corporations that are making our rpgs mainstream !
:x

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's because these games get over-hyped and 9,10,11/10 scores. Hype usually creates a backlash like that.

Marobug

No less. I could see one or two people saying a game is shit because they were disappointed, I just find it ridiculous that everyone would follow them around and speak of it like it's a cancer when actually they enjoyed every second of said game just to go with the flow.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Marobug said:
CrimsonAngel said:
Marobug said:
octavius said:

1. Avoid it
2. Mod it to playability

Ahahah right, people disagree with each other, unless it comes to bioware or bethesda. Then the codex unites against the evil corporations that are making our rpgs mainstream !
:x

Have you actually read any threads with some kind of cognition?

Games that are constantly being brought up either as good or bad: BG, BG2, Morrowind, ME, ME2. There are multiple factions for each of those games, either pro, against, or in-between.

The only real consensus on the codex seems to be converge 3 games, mainly: Oblivious (shit), DAO (shit+1), DA2 (shit+200). And even then there are a few people supporting these games.

Hell, there even are people bashing PST or Ultima VII.

Humanophage

Arcane
Here is my personal view of Bioware games:
Bioware.jpg

Gameplay = how enjoyable the game mechanics are
Char/Plot = how interesting the characters and quests are
Dialogues = how developed the dialogue tree is and the quality of dialogues
Setting = how well-put, atmospheric, and original the setting is
Exploration = freedom of exploration, hidden locations, etc.
Overall = average mark
Playthrough = how many times I played through the game

The number in brackets for NWN are user-made modules.

Marobug

Consensus in the internet is as easy to find as rose in the desert and I'm not saying everyone here is retarded.
There is however a general feeling against anything made by bioware or bethesda released in the last 5 years or so, and it's not like their games are all shit. They are simply mainstream, and like in music, cinema etc.. it's cool to bash what's mainstream and praise the underground/old stuff.
I just find that the codex has gone way too far with this and it's getting ridiculous.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Marobug said:
Consensus in the internet is as easy to find as rose in the desert and I'm not saying everyone here is retarded.
There is however a general feeling against anything made by bioware or bethesda released in the last 5 years or so, and it's not like their games are all shit. They are simply mainstream, and like in music, cinema etc.. it's cool to bash what's mainstream and praise the underground/old stuff.
I just find that the codex has gone way too far with this and it's getting ridiculous.

Well, maybe that's because bio and beth have made shit games for the last 5 years? Just think of the games, how they are copypasted after each other, and you can easily see why there is actually this kind of consensus. Obviously, if the archetype is crap, all the variations on the theme will mostly be crap.

Take The Witcher: it is not mainstream, far from it, and yet there's both praisers and detractors. The same for many other non-mainstream games: Gothic, Divinity 2, etc.

Diablo III and Dungeon Siege III: both mainstream, and again both have praisers and detractors.

Of course, I will give that to you, there are a lot of people who join one camp/wagon or another just because, or because they don't want to expose themselves or because they want to appear "cool" in the eyes of the veterans, but you get those everywhere (both online and IRL).

You should redirect your critics to the bioboards, where legions of whores are willing to blindfoldedly give Leidlaw (spelling?) a rimjob or seven because of his great humanity and dragon-shaped sphincter.

If anything, the codex is a place where people actually have guts to insult each other while trying to prove their own points while refuting the "opponent's". In-between all the hatred, there are definitively more hints of mature and independent thought than you could find in most online communities. Yes, mature, despite we all wear the Eric Cartman mask every now and then and go nah nah nah nah nah!

waywardOne

Arcane
shit is shit regardless of whose name is on the box.

it's cool to bash what's mainstream and praise the underground/old stuff

link? new <> shit; old <> great; shit = shit. take your pubescent social mores back to the bioboards.

Marobug

Well, maybe that's because bio and beth have made shit games for the last 5 years? Just think of the games, how they are copypasted after each other, and you can easily see why there is actually this kind of consensus. Obviously, if the archetype is crap, all the variations on the theme will mostly be crap.

How are oblivion, mass effect, dragon age and fallout 3/new vegas even similar, let alone copypasted ? Oblivion and fallout use the same engine, same for DA and mass effect but that's about it, completely different settings, completely different gameplay etc..

Bethesda and bioware's games are significantly more popular(or mainstream) than any of the other games you mentioned, hence why they get more hate than the others.

And I'm not saying the codex is full of retards and wannabes, I just think that some people really should start thinking by themselves while others who actually disliked said game or thought it was overrated shouldn't constantly keep hitting on it just because it's popular with other people.

I didn't like mass effect much but it is undeniable that it is a really well done game, with great graphics and setting, and even the shooting mechanics felt solid. It's just that it felt more like an action game than a rpg to me but I can perfectly see why so many people outside the codex would like it. I really enjoyed oblivion though, in spite of the main story being uninteresting and unsatisfiying imo.

Dele

Liturgist
Marobug said:

How are oblivion, mass effect, dragon age and fallout 3/new vegas even similar, let alone copypasted ? Oblivion and fallout use the same engine, same for DA and mass effect but that's about it, completely different settings, completely different gameplay etc..

Bethesda and bioware's games are significantly more popular(or mainstream) than any of the other games you mentioned, hence why they get more hate than the others.

And I'm not saying the codex is full of retards and wannabes, I just think that some people really should start thinking by themselves while others who actually disliked said game or thought it was overrated shouldn't constantly keep hitting on it just because it's popular with other people.

I didn't like mass effect much but it is undeniable that it is a really well done game, with great graphics and setting, and even the shooting mechanics felt solid. It's just that it felt more like an action game than a rpg to me but I can perfectly see why so many people outside the codex would like it. I really enjoyed oblivion though, in spite of the main story being uninteresting and unsatisfiying imo.

Bethesda and bioware games get more hate because they're really bad compared to the rpg's of the old, Mass Effect was fun but it's not a good rpg.

If you are too blind to see why oblivion is one of the worst rpgs made then it might be impossible to discuss the subject with you. Oblivion wasn't just overrated, it's a huge step down in every way from, for example, morrowind.

Also you might call new vegas 'mainstream' and it was held a good game in the codex, even though in my opinion its still nigh unplayable due to the engine.

(why do i respond to a troll :()

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Marobug said:

Ok, I thought is was obvious, but...

(nwn=kotor=)DAO=ME=ME2
If you fail to see the patterns, the overly-recurrent characterizations, the copypasted plot devices, the cookie-cutter skills and game mechanics (of course with some degree of deviation from the original model), then I really don't know what else to say.

Morrowind=Oblivion=FO3
The "cloning" is more subtle in these three, but if you look at the gameplay (and, speficically, the flaws in it) you'll notice how similar they are...

NV doesn't have anything to do with either group, apart from beloging to the FO franchise. It was developed by a different company, Obsidian, which makes another good example: you could consider it both mainstream or underground, and yet it's got hardcore fans and merciless detractors, and plenty of shades of gray in-between.

Bioware/Beth stuff more popular than Diablo3? I do not think so... hteir fans might be more vocal, more annoying, more gay, but there are shitloads of people (basically every other WoW subscriber, plus a few astray ones...) out there who have been waiting, silently, for Diablo 3 for a decade now.

ortucis

Prophet
I usually avoid BioWare forums until few weeks before they release a game. Great times for trolling.

I really lolled at a locked thread in first page.. "Are Bioware games for very lonely people?" :lol:

Also, BioWare is grooming the new gen properly..

It's sad how I'm the only girl in school who's excited about Dragon Age II. I pre-ordered it last year and I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday, which is the 8th here. I just got 4000 microsoft points as a part of early birthday gift, so if there's going to be tons of DLC... bring it on! haha.

It's a dream fanbase for any games developer.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Marobug said:

Why are you here?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
ortucis said:
I usually avoid BioWare forums until few weeks before they release a game. Great times for trolling.

I really lolled at a locked thread in first page.. "Are Bioware games for very lonely people?" :lol:

Also, BioWare is grooming the new gen properly..

It's sad how I'm the only girl in school who's excited about Dragon Age II. I pre-ordered it last year and I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday, which is the 8th here. I just got 4000 microsoft points as a part of early birthday gift, so if there's going to be tons of DLC... bring it on! haha.

It's a dream fanbase for any games developer.

OP from that thread...

Bioware storylines are written by lonely fat people for lonely fat peole.

Ill take that underaged virgin elf now.

Discuiss?

Andhairax again?

Marobug

Dele said:
Marobug said:

Bethesda and bioware games get more hate because they're really bad compared to the rpg's of the old, Mass Effect was fun but it's not a good rpg.

If you are too blind to see why oblivion is one of the worst rpgs made then it might be impossible to discuss the subject with you. Oblivion wasn't just overrated, it's a huge step down in every way from, for example, morrowind.

Also you might call new vegas 'mainstream' and it was held a good game in the codex, even though in my opinion its still nigh unplayable due to the engine.

(why do i respond to a troll :()

Funky. If rpgs still strictly followed the old mechanics then people would complain it's always the same thing. If they change then the games are shit because they arn't true RPGs.
Really, it's ridiculous.

As for your opinion on oblivion, I played morrowind religiously for a good while. They are different games, but I don't know how you can say oblivion was worse in all the aspects ? Oblivion had it's flaws, but so did morrowind and honestly I do think obilvion is a better game, even if they are hard to compare.

Also, calling someone a troll is the oldest argument in the internet. Note: It doesn't always work.

Ok, I thought is was obvious, but...

(nwn=kotor=)DAO=ME=ME2
If you fail to see the patterns, the overly-recurrent characterizations, the copypasted plot devices, the cookie-cutter skills and game mechanics (of course with some degree of deviation from the original model), then I really don't know what else to say.

Morrowind=Oblivion=FO3
The "cloning" is more subtle in these three, but if you look at the gameplay (and, speficically, the flaws in it) you'll notice how similar they are...

wat. Either you have an incredibly fertile imagination or you didn't play those games at all.
There's surely something common these games since they were made by the same team, but those similarities are so subtile they are almost unnoticeable.
That's the explanation for all the hate directed towards bioware and bethesda ?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Marobug said:

Why are you here?
Internet e-credit, he trolls the mean Codex and is afraid of nothing.

Marobug

Jaesun said:
Marobug said:

Why are you here?

Because not everyone here is retarded ?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Marobug said:
(nwn=kotor=)DAO=ME=ME2

Morrowind=Oblivion=FO3

wat. Either you have an incredibly fertile imagination or you didn't play those games at all.
There's surely something common these games since they were made by the same team, but those similarities are so subtile they are almost unnoticeable.
That's the explanation for all the hate directed towards bioware and bethesda ?

SUBTLE AND UNNOTICEABLE? Did you have your monitor plugged in at all? You gotta be shitting me. Anyway, that does it. I tried to be civilized and patient, and I'd take this on the bioboards any day without even flinching, but here on the Codex...

+ignore

Marobug

Now assuming those similarities were glaring and anyone could see them miles away, I'll ask again:
Is that why everyone is bioware and bethesda getting all the hate ?

If so I can easily see people in here having wet nightmares with infinity ward/treyarch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom