Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Turd

MetalCraze

Arcane
Exmit said:
Call of duty 1 and Medal of honor 1 were good because they introduced something new to fpses that was innovative compared to what other fpses served.
What is that innovative stuff they introduced exactly?
OK. MOHAA introduced shitty gun modeling and slowass gameplay in tight corridors.

Now they are just rehashing 10 year old gameplay and retards buy it. They could aswell play the first cod but tell that to all gfx whores.
That isn't true either. Even with all their faults originals were not a retarded "cinematic experience" a la watch a cutscene - play static turret - repeat. In fact even CoD2 wasn't. I still remember I had to move around while playing it, not sit in the same place, trying to kill enough bots to unlock the next cutscene.

Crysis health regen at least was 'explained' in terms of the nanosuit.
That's because PC is an ubermensch platform.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
What is that innovative stuff they introduced exactly?
OK. MOHAA introduced shitty gun modeling and slowass gameplay in tight corridors.
I was going to ask the same question. I also like your answers :smug:
Sloooooooooooooooooooow moving speed was something that pissed me off in many Q3 games. Jedi Outcast was another.

Alexandros said:
So are we all in agreement that the best Call of Duty was the 1st one + United Offensive?
Yeah... but that's not saying much. I played CoD + UO not too long ago (2 months ago?) and it was... "OK" would be the highest note I could give it.

I have to admit CoD 3 intrigues me for having Polish campaign, which is rather unique for a WW2 game. But it is console-only, so meh.

Also, funny how CoD started as the PC-only response to MOH, then 2 games later went console-only (if briefly)

A user named cat

Sceptic said:
Sloooooooooooooooooooow moving speed was something that pissed me off in many Q3 games. Jedi Outcast was another.
Force Speed, everyone's best friend.

Oligarch

Educated
mousey.gif

Sceptic said:
I have to admit CoD 3 intrigues me for having Polish campaign, which is rather unique for a WW2 game.

3 was probably one of my favorites. The campaign was neat, having 4 stories it alternated through, the American GI, the British Commando, the Canadian Soldier and the Polish Tanker. All that and the MP was pretty fun at times.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
That floating cursor GIF is fucking annoying.

Phantasmal said:
And how long do you need to wait to get it? :rpgcodex:

Also, doesn't Speed work differently in Outcast? IIRC it slows everyone else down, rather than speeding you up (in SP). Or was that only Academy?

ComradeCommissar said:
The campaign was neat, having 4 stories it alternated through, the American GI, the British Commando, the Canadian Soldier and the Polish Tanker.
It even has Canada? fuck, I really want to play this now.
Not getting a console though, fuck it. And no Xbawks 360 or PS3 emulators yet. I am disappoint.

A user named cat

Sceptic said:
And how long do you need to wait to get it? :rpgcodex:

Also, doesn't Speed work differently in Outcast? IIRC it slows everyone else down, rather than speeding you up (in SP). Or was that only Academy
I only played through SP once and I don't remember, on the other hand I still play MP all these years later so I'm simply talking from an MP viewpoint. Along with bunny hop momentum, force speed can zip you across maps in no time. Nothing slow about Outcast at all.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well shooting part in Outcast was the slow part (not that it was bad) due to retarded pew pew blaster bolts that travel 10 times slower than bullets. But you have to blame Lucas here for this.

A user named cat

Guns in Outcast are overall very underwhelming, most servers I've played in over the years have been saber only. Guns are decent for CTF though, since you can rig bases with mines and chase down cappers with rockets and such, but other than that they are mostly too slow like you mentioned aside from say the sniper rifle. Plus you can Force Push most projecticles back thus nullifying them completely.

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
Call of Duty got popular for the best reason possible: The first game's Russian campaign was very exciting. Too bad the MoH-killer ended up like this.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Rockets in Outcast flew even slower than blaster bolts I believe

Phantasmal said:
Plus you can Force Push most projecticles back thus nullifying them completely.
When playing multiplayer everyone pretty much had the bolt deflection skill so Force Push wasn't necessary unless for rockets. Blaster bolts were flying back at the shooter without the defender doing anything.

But eh PvP in Outcast was pretty lackluster - everyone just used "red" stance and that forward+jump+saber hit trick that dealt 50-100% hp damage

But still brings back many nostalgic memories. 33 KBps dial-up + everyone's favourite Bespin disc arena + my first clan in a multiplayer game

A user named cat

MetalCraze said:
When playing multiplayer everyone pretty much had the bolt deflection skill so Force Push wasn't necessary unless for rockets. Blaster bolts were flying back at the shooter without the defender doing anything.

But eh PvP in Outcast was pretty lackluster - everyone just used "red" stance and that forward+jump+saber hit trick that dealt 50-100% hp damage

But still brings back many nostalgic memories. 33 KBps dial-up + everyone's favourite Bespin disc arena + my first clan in a multiplayer game
There's no auto-bolt deflection, simply having your saber up will block it though. The bolt gun is useless anyway unless you charge it up and the person has their back turned.

PvP Outcast was and still is the best MP PC game ever relaeased, no competition. Sounds to me like you only played 1.02, which was the default and worst version. All game patches have almost completely different play styles. 1.02 you could red chop someone and they'd fly away, plus you could pivot doing red stance DFA and you only had to click jump once to do kicks which was retarded since no proper timing was required.

1.03 is focused around force usage, defensive play, pull/push kick and backstab. Then with 1.04 you can push/pull after being knocked down, they also nerfed backstab damage so it was more about precise swinging. I played in CTF ladder matches in 1.04, but 1.03 is my favorite patch and where I'm still at today all these years later. Switching between versions is easy enough though.

You missed out only playing one version, a shame the game is pretty dead now but there are some of us still left.

bert

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
Sceptic said:

You could very easily kill yourself in Jedi Knight if you used max force speed and you bump into a wall with low hp.

I love that game, too bad no other game uses inertia for movement and shit like DF2.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
bert said:
You could very easily kill yourself in Jedi Knight if you used max force speed and you bump into a wall with low hp.
Hah, yeah, same with Jump. At max power the jump is REALLY high, so you'd better make sure you know where you're landing.

A user named cat

Well again, I don't recall much of anything from SP and the mechanics there, but in MP using Force Speed has no downsides and you don't take damage hitting walls. There's actually a fun glitch you can use where if you Force Speed and jump from a distance, if you land against a wall you will bounce off from it quite a ways. This can be used on certain maps to bounce from wall to wall in one huge jump.

Maybe I'll install FRAPS and record some stuff. Been playing this game for so long I know every little nitch on the maps. That and I can beat everyone, I want new competition a.k.a. meat. Maybe I can garner interest for people to buy/torrent it and come play 1.03.

A user named cat

I don't even know what that response is supposed to mean, you'll have to fill me in on nerdy Codex fads.

Tycn

Savant
I have this turd on preorder. Been looking for some arcadey popamole action and this seems to fit the bill nicely.

Tycn said:
I have this turd on preorder. Been looking for some arcadey popamole action and this seems to fit the bill nicely.
Good choice. I'm assuming such a prestigious Codexer as yourself preordered the prestige edition?

Tycn

Savant
Naw, Steam. Don't care about box or toy car or $200 price tag.

I will play extensively and report back on its turdiness when it unlocks, hopefully in 3 days.

A little bird whispered me you can torrent the game and still play it online on special servers. Might rethink your purchase behaviours mister?

Tycn

Savant
Unfortunately all the special servers I know of are overseas, though I don't think there will be any for this game given that they've limited the server software to a single provider.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom