Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BLACKROOM, an oldschool FPS from John Romero and Adrian Carmack - Kickstarter cancelled!

nil

Cipher
Pledge $20,000 or more
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)

John Romero will personally become your bitch for a whole day. He will travel to your house and suck it down.
You will have to cover his travel expenses, but Romero will bring his own food and clothes (but he will wear anything you give him).
Please note that Romero will not be obligated to do anything that is considered illegal (but may choose to do so).

Pledge $50,000 or more
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)

Same as the above, but for a whole week!
Please note that depending of the level of campaign's success, Romero might not be able to provide food for himself for the whole week, in which case you will have to feed him at least once a day.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The butthurt over Daikatana still runs strong on Mr. Romero.:lol: It is about time for him to return making FPS, we have nothing to lose, if it is Daikatana 2.0 we aill have memes for another decade if it is a good game, it's been a long time since I played a genuinely good FPS.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The butthurt over Daikatana still runs strong on Mr. Romero.:lol: It is about time for him to return making FPS, we have nothing to lose, if it is Daikatana 2.0 we aill have memes for another decade if it is a good game, it's been a long time since I played a genuinely good FPS.
It's weird how there's still people making good maps for doom, quake, etc but nobody can actually make a commercial FPS with non-shit level design.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I wonder how much the rights must cost for an older id or Unreal engine for commercial use...

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I wonder how much the rights must cost for an older id or Unreal engine for commercial use...
Quake 1/2 source code is GPL licensed so free.
All engines up to the Doom 3 engine have that license, I believe, but I think that still means that you need to buy rights to sell the content you make. Otherwise you can only redistribute the engine for free.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oh? I'm not fully aware of the GPL or anything. This is what I recall hearing from people who made stuff based on id Tech 3 a long time ago. If that's true, then that's awesome.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I've checked and yeah, It used to be under a different license that forbids commercial use. But now it's all available with GPL.

grudgebringer

Actually, let's be honest, Daikatana wasn't that bad. Deathmatch still gives me thrills when I need it. I would even consider it on par with Q3 DM, and some of DK weapons design is much more original than that of Q3.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Actually, let's be honest, Daikatana wasn't that bad. Deathmatch still gives me thrills when I need it. I would even consider it on par with Q3 DM, and some of DK weapons design is much more original than that of Q3.
I'd fist the shit out of this guy, but this account won't lose its virginity until late November.
Send my regards to MeisterM, Mara'akate, Adam (forgot his nickname, dat Italian player) and Scaryfun. Spent many sleepless nights playing with these guys.

Don't tempt me, boy. :argh:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Actually, let's be honest, Daikatana wasn't that bad.

Mmmh, no, it fucking was.

If Romero delivers i'd be more than happy to become his bitch. You just have to make a good old school FPS game bro, how hard can it be? You don't even have the hurdle of having to be original. Just a straight Doom or Quake clone with great gunplay and solid map design.

tormund

Arcane
I wonder what engine will it use.

My guess is Unity

:troll:
Already triggered.

Just a straight Doom or Quake clone with great gunplay and solid map design.
I almost wish that he goes for Quake like visuals, with low poly environments and crisp low res textures.
I barely play Quake mods compared to Doom and Marathon, but I never cease to be impressed by aesthetics of recent Quake maps I saw:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I've checked and yeah, It used to be under a different license that forbids commercial use. But now it's all available with GPL.
GPL does forbid commercial use.
It doesn't.
OK, let me rephrase: GPL does forbid what 95% of companies would require for commercial use. Whether Romero would make an exception, I don't know.
Men all GPL requires is that source code is distributed with binaries and that code that extends GPL'd code must use the same license.

This of course is difficult for utility software since you can just get the source code and compile it yourself, and anyone can distribute the binaries. But video games are more than code. There's all the game data too.

So GPL is actually great for games since it's perfectly viable to sell copies (Can't play the game with just code), and nobody can be a dick with the code, since if they make modifications they have to share with everyone (Unless they pay the license holder to get it under a different license of course).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom