Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood West - immersive stealth horror FPS set in a wicked Wild West

toughasnails

https://af.gog.com/en/game/blood_west?as=1649904300

This looks very promising and it's worth trying out the demo. On paper, it seems like a blend of anything and everything; boomer shooter, survival horror, From Software games, im-sims... but imo it works very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Looks very interesting. At first glance I thought it was a boomer shooter, but it seems to be more of a Deus Ex/System Shock 2 type of RPG-FPS hybrid. Wishlisted, will probably try out the demo soon.

Looks very interesting. At first glance I thought it was a boomer shooter, but it seems to be more of a Deus Ex/System Shock 2 type of RPG-FPS hybrid. Wishlisted, will probably try out the demo soon.

Thank you anon! You are a good anon! Big breasts do give me maximum soreness anon! They do!

toughasnails

This is what Weird West should have been.
I can see that. One of the excuses I saw for its camera perspective was that if it was first person there was no way the visuals wouldn't look subpar compared to AAA im-sims. But there is no reason they couldn't have gone with low-poly, retro visuals since they made a come-back. This isn't even the sole indie immersive sim-like game that opted for such visuals.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron

The Demo has been taken down now because according to Devs on the Steam Forums "it no longer represents the state of the game"
I played the Demo during the winter festival and it was essentially a FPS Dark Souls in a Horror-Western setting. Had fun with it, wishlisted and was ready for Day-1-Purchase. Buuuut reading from the Devs now they "took Demo feedback to heart" and implemented major changes. Mostly cries of casuals that the game was too hard, too unforgiving, too punishing. So mentally I'm already prepared for :decline:

Riskbreaker

^Damn, I had no idea about that. I enjoyed the demo as well.
Wonder if this means that the usual delay-a-thon is incoming, too.

orcinator

Liturgist
Looks pretty bland and boring from the video, boobs aside. Maybe the devs will actually improve it.
At least they could add some extra hotkeys to the inventory menu to make that shit faster (and does the system even add anything to the game?)

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Decent price at the very least. I was expecting the Devs to ask for more. Still unsure on pulling the trigger on this one though, will wait for reports on how dumbed down the game was and see how Early Access unfolds.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1587130/view/3213889428531836458
Blood West 1.1 update
Even more Blood in the West! First regular EA update introduces a slew of community-requested features & improvements.

Gunslingers!

You've been fighting relentlessly to take back the frontier from the bloody claws of otherworldly abominations for two full months. And there's thousands of you! We've been blown away by your enthusiastic reception of
Blood West
and humbled by the
overwhelmingly positive reviews
. You've been recommending our game to your friends and other Steam players, and it means the world to us. We know we love old-school, immersive gameplay full of stealth, tactics, and exploration - it's nice to know you do, too!
c2bd5a54ba809f84f985a2c640692eca45d64732.png

The Skin Collector - enemy concept in the upcoming scenario

Some of you say our western stealth shooter arrived in Early Access in better form than some high-profile games left it. That's a bar set really high, for sure, and we're doing and will continue to do our best to meet your expectations. We don't yet have a set release date for the upcoming content update that will bring about the second playable scenario. Seeing how much you appreciate the fine details of our creation we want to put as much - or more - effort into crafting the next rich and varied part of the world of
Blood West
35fe12b252288396b3d09a3981c14d22b5b8cf11.png

The Wraith - enemy concept in the upcoming scenario

While we work on the new content we also improve on some aspects of the existing game, because there's always room for improvement, and we're no strangers to early access. Today marks the release of our first regular Early Access update (full changelog below!). It'll be accompanied by a week-long promo matching the release discount of 20%, so all of you who were on the fence with Blood West in the release week and held out until there's more reviews - here's your chance!

upload_2022-4-11_20-36-25.pngON WISHLIST

Blood West

WesternFPSHorrorFirst-PersonRetro
Feb 10, 2022
Add to Cart
-20%
12,49€
9,99€
header.jpg

Full 1.1 changelog:

Following your generous feedback and going through the many gameplay videos and streams, we've decided our priorities for the first post-release patch. Here's how we're improving on the game's mechanics and introducing some quality-of-life improvements:

New features:
  • A new, alternate bossfight path
  • Leaning from behind cover (make sure to bind the keys!)
  • New vendor items - sacks that improve inventory management
  • By popular demand items in the inventory can now be rotated to improve stackability (have fun!)
  • You can now bind the key to unload ammo
  • FOV slider added
  • V-Sync toggle added
  • Brightness / gamma setting (does not affect the UI)
  • ESC key closes inventory/map screen
  • Trying to bind a key that's already in use will prompt an option to swap them
  • Keybind menu cannot be closed if not all keys have been set, missing bindings will be highlighted

Changes:
  • Improved enemy A.I. - they will react to gunshots in their hearing range, notice if another mob in their line of sight is killed, become alarmed in vicinity of other aggravated mobs
  • Jim's lucky coin quest is now failable if the player chooses to keep the coin for themselves
  • Reworked the acid-spitting Humanpede behavior - it should now be more challenging to fight, although it still prefers to avoid up-close combat
  • Nerfed the Collector perk - it generates less loot
  • Nerfed the Gotcha! perk - it now provides just longer, not infinite effective headshot distance
  • Totem blessings no longer stack - you can only have one active at a time
  • Putting a bow on the ground while it was drawn will return the arrow to the inventory
  • Removed the Shadow Heart item
  • Reduced healing items and ammo amount player can find in the game world
  • Some spelling and grammar corrections (not final)

Bugfixes:
  • Loading your game no longer causes FPS to drop
  • Quitting the game by Alt+F4 combo no longer risks corrupting your save file
  • The UI prompts display the correct bindings right away, not after game restart as it used to
  • Ctrl and Shift keys are now bindable
  • Reloading the boss fight no longer causes wendigo not to spawn properly
  • Fixed the rare bug that allowed losing or multiplying bandages (and other stackable items)
  • Fixed the breaking platform in the boss fight which was breaking to quick on subsequent tries
  • Sliding or running downwards on slopes no longer generates damage to the player
  • Multiple fixes to the save game functionality
  • More clear option selection ("Accept" closes the form and saves the changes, "Back" was renamed to "Cancel", acts accordingly)
  • Molotov burning sound no longer loops on mob impact
  • Mobs no longer vocalize post-death (which occurred when killed with shotgun or other multi-projectile weapon)
  • Ghosts no longer leave blood splatter on walls

6b2935d0fc0daef6bfd9bea00a2b89c238ec6d8a.png

Sacks - a useful new addition to the player's inventory

Please note that after the patch loading an existing save game will result in the player being re-located to a safe zone, and all the monsters will be re-spawned.

This concludes today's summary. If you have any more suggestions or happen to run into some issues, please make sure to let us know either here, in the game's Steam hub, or in the
Blood West channel of Hyperstrange Discord

Good hunting, Gunslingers!

Next from HYPERSTRANGE

If you enjoy
Blood West
not just for it's stealth but also its action and visuals, you might be interested in our teams upcoming FPS -
POSTAL: Brain Damaged
. That's right - The notorious
POSTAL
series returns in a twisted spin-off that it into a whole new direction. Developed by Hyperstrange under the watchful eye of Running with Scissors, POSTAL: Brain Damaged gives you retro-FPS looks and fast-paced modern gameplay. Please consider adding it to your wishlist:

Riskbreaker

Can't resist sharing this here response to that update:

The game was honestly already basically too tough, I was hoping the update would give more ammo and health to make the game enjoyable. The balance you refer to, is called controlling the player and forcing them to play your way.

This is not balance, this is part of the elitist gaming movement to make games so frustrating that gamers no longer care to play. This is why people watch people play games, instead of really playing... Not all gamers find challenge fun, some of us, just want to live a fantasy to feel good and enjoy life.

This game is not enjoyable anymore, and to be honest, it was already barely enjoyable, sneaking can be fun, shooting can be fun, as an undead cowboy I should have the choice to blast away my enemies or sneak up on em.

I checked it out with the update, and this is the first time I have refunded a game I really wanted to love, I simply do not support games that are designed to induce a headache. Sure I could tough it out, I could grit my teeth and bash my head against a wall, trying to have fun, but nah no thanks.

Honestly, I should not have even tried the update, the very fact that this game is gatekeeping its content, and the very fact that there are more complaints like mine on the board, and you instead chose to make it harder. Nah I am good, I do not see this game getting difficulty options or being balanced for all players.

You want to give gamers headaches, that's cool, gamers want to get headaches, that's cool. I wanted to have fun, and playing this game is not fun, it is just an exercise in stress management, and I do not need that in a game.

We need things to relieve the tension and stress, not ones that cause it, having the option for an easy mode, hurts no one and helps all those who want to enjoy a game and have fun, nothing wrong there. But gamers and devs here seem to think it is wrong to make easy and fun games, they enjoy shaming gamers looking for fun, and I think that speaks volumes for the horrible direction gaming has gone.

toughasnails

That guy is still at it lol, he made a ton of additional comments in that same thread, all in the same vein and mostly of same length. If he's just a troll, he isn't a very efficient one...

Anybody playing this in its current release version? The game initially looked like a retro FPS to me, but apparently does much more. You've got an inventory, you've got a pretty open (hub) area, stealth, upgrades, etc.

This Steam review sounds almost to good to be true.

For a long time was I searching for a game that would combine the unparalleled atomsphere and sense of uncertainty offered by S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Metro series, with brutal, unforgiving combat and wild west frontier setting form Hunt Showdown, all packaged in an immersive sim fps with level design drawing inspiration from classics like Deus Ex and Dishonored.

PS: Weird West brought me here.

ciox

Liturgist
Blood West
Weird West
Hard West (2)

three Wests enter, one West leaves.

Comte_II

Hard west the rest are for fags

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom