Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A way to mitigate the blood vial grind is to buy extra vials with your remaining echoes after a level up/weapon upgrade and stash 'em away. By the mid to late game you'll probably have a fair amount in the storage.
Roguey please listen to this, it will cut drastically (or eliminate completely) the need to farm for blood vials. Every time you find yourself in the hunter's dream, spend all your remaining souls to buy vials.

I've now played an hour longer than Dark Souls and I'll keep at it until I hit an insurmountable wall or it starts feeling like work.
After Father Gascoigne and the Cleric Beast, if you beat them fair and square, you won't find any other insurmountable wall (unless you want to finish 100% of the optional content). However, if you cheat them cheaply, you will probably suffer for the rest of your playthrough, or until you decide to learn how to play on your own. The first two bosses are basically tutorials for the rest of the game: after mastering them, the rest of the game is a cakewalk (again, apart from certain VERY optional bosses).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Btw Bloodborne is considerably harder than DS1.

Certainly not the beginning area.

Every time you find yourself in the hunter's dream, spend all your remaining souls to buy vials.

I've been stocking up on molotov cocktails.

After Father Gascoigne and the Cleric Beast, if you beat them fair and square, you won't find any other insurmountable wall (unless you want to finish 100% of the optional content). However, if you cheat them cheaply, you will probably suffer for the rest of your playthrough, or until you decide to learn how to play on your own. The first two bosses are basically tutorials for the rest of the game: after mastering them, the rest of the game is a cakewalk (again, apart from certain VERY optional bosses).

Looks like I'm going to have to keep the cocktail party going. +M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The 60 FPS port is a 100% certainty and the PC version is coming with it.
60 fps port does seem likely. I think bloodborne could also really use a remaster to integrate the dlc content better into the main game. In the game as it stands, beating the dlc will completely trivialize the final boss, and it just in general completely ruins the pacing. It also dumps a huge amount of weapons and crafting materials on you in very little time at a point where you have probably already created at least a +9 weapon.

I doubt they will change anything, but imo integrating the good parts of the chalice dungeons and spreading out the dlc content into the main game would be a huge improvement.

Silva

Arcane
Anxious to see how Roguey does Vicar Amelia. She's easy but her size can be scary at first.

By the way Roguey what build did you do? Pure STR or STR+SKL is easier than others for a first time, as its weapons are usually heavy and poise break enemies. And precious tip: don't bother raising anything but your life bar at first. After you carried it to 22 or something, start raising stamina THEN raise damage stats. Believe me, this makes things much more manageable.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Also, even if you go with STR builld (and that delicious HUNTER AXE), consider keeping a serrated weapon of some sort, as they get bonus damage against beasts. Serrated weapon + fire paper melts through beasts.

Depending on the enemy, this may work better than pure STR weapons.

Just finished this + Old Hunters on the PS5. While it's a shame they didn't do anything to the framerate (game runs a little better on the PS5, with faster load times and better frame pacing, but still 30fps), the game is still absolutely brilliant, with top-shelf art direction and sound design, plus it's probably the best Lovecraft-inspired "mass media" product ever made. It's just that fucking good.

It's just a shame that it's not available on more platforms. I hope the remaster rumours are true, but I hope they don't fuck with the art design like they did with the recent Demon's Souls remake.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
gSvxNb9.jpg
*Slither by Velvet Revolver starts playing*

Having fun in the Cathedral Ward, though it looks like I'm going to have to grind a bit for that 10,000 key to unlock the main gate. I went down to Old Yharnam, but I don't want to upset the guy who told me to go back because there was nothing down there but beasts keeping to themselves, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else I can go.

Duralux for Durabux

You totally want to upset that guy. Just be careful, because he gets real mad.
Also, take the environment into account and use it at your advantage against monsters and ... you will discover . An another tip, use a torch in your left hand (if you're surrounded by monsters), quite useful against monsters...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I went down to Old Yharnam, but I don't want to upset the guy who told me to go back because there was nothing down there but beasts keeping to themselves, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else I can go.
You totally want to upset that guy. Just be careful, because he gets real mad.
Is there actually anything mandatory down there?* If Roguey wants to leave old yharnam be and farm echoes instead that's fine. Weird to skip content like that, but why not?

*I know you will not be able to go into chalice dungeons if you don't kill BSB, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Having fun in the Cathedral Ward, though it looks like I'm going to have to grind a bit for that 10,000 key to unlock the main gate. I went down to Old Yharnam, but I don't want to upset the guy who told me to go back because there was nothing down there but beasts keeping to themselves, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else I can go.
If you go through Old Yharnam first, you don't need to buy the key.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you go though Old Yharnam first, you don't need to buy the key.

I figured as much since it's the only place I can go that doesn't wind up as a dead end, but as I said, I'm role playing an agreeable and somewhat cowardly person.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
If you go though Old Yharnam first, you don't need to buy the key.

I figured as much since it's the only place I can go that doesn't wind up as a dead end, but as I said, I'm role playing an agreeable and somewhat cowardly person.
Strange that a cowardly person would fight beasts at all and not just cower in a corner of the clinic/cathedral, but whatever floats your goat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anxious to see how Roguey does Vicar Amelia. She's easy but her size can be scary at first.

Beat her on the first try, though it took me all my cocktails, 19 bullets, and 16 health vials. A win's a win though.

Strange that a cowardly person would fight beasts at all and not just cower in a corner of the clinic/cathedral, but whatever floats your goat.

I have hunting to do and I'm going to do it. A Courage the Cowardly Dog kind of attitude.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I have hunting to do and I'm going to do it. A Courage the Cowardly Dog kind of attitude.

Makes sense. I like to role play Master Chief as the consummate soldier. He's brave, but knows when to take cover to let his shields regenerate. On the other hand, Doom guy is a complete berserker and his style is more to run around in circles blasting everything. This variety of roleplaying helps keep gaming interesting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Me looking down at a pit with two large snake clusters: Sure wouldn't want to fall into that.
Snakes-headed man I didn't see or hear right behind me:

Fortunately I was able to survive the fall and run away. :shredder:

I also found out during this session that the game doesn't pause when you hit the home button. What is the bizarre rationale for that? Utter nonsense, especially if you're interrupted in the middle of a boss fight since it guarantees failure. Good thing I was just fighting a small snake cluster and the interruption didn't last long so I was saved from death once again.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I also found out during this session that the game doesn't pause when you hit the home button. What is the bizarre rationale for that?
Multiplayer.

Those balls of snakes are terrifying. I never even went near them in my first playthrough, and carefully approached them with ranged weapons only in my second one. Then I found out that they are dumb pushovers and you can quickly take them down with a bit of hit-and-run. Still terrifying, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Multiplayer.

I am playing offline. :rpgcodex:

Those balls of snakes are terrifying. I never even went near them in my first playthrough, and carefully approached them with ranged weapons only in my second one. Then I found out that they are dumb pushovers and you can quickly take them down with a bit of hit-and-run. Still terrifying, though.

Yeah, dodging that long-range spit is a bit stressful, but they're not so bad. The snakes-headed men and the two spiky ayylmaos with their homing blasts are the toughest normal enemies in the area.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom