Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I just beat the abhorrent beast in the ailing loran chalice and that was a good feeling. Still, i have to get something off my chest:

Fuck From Software. Fuck them with a spiked mace.

What a shitty bossfight.
I liked that boss

Everything about this game is The Best and I have ran through every chalice dungeon 20 times

If you try to fight me about it I'll just run through a chalice dungeon again

Silva

Arcane
I just beat the abhorrent beast in the ailing loran chalice and that was a good feeling. Still, i have to get something off my chest:

Fuck From Software. Fuck them with a spiked mace.

What a shitty bossfight.
I liked that boss

Everything about this game is The Best and I have ran through every chalice dungeon 20 times

If you try to fight me about it I'll just run through a chalice dungeon again
I can run chalices for all eternity.

But if I do Nightmare Frontier again I'll puke. :negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Played for a few hours today. Didn't like how the frame rate often dips below 30 fps, that's inexcusable for an action game. I did have a much better handle on it than Dark Souls, at least at first. Then I died to a sewer boar despite having the advantage of a small hallway I could duck into, saw that getting to the shortcut back to near where I was would still be a pain in the ass, so I took a sidetrip to a part of the bridge I didn't bother with on my first go-around and accidentally ran into the first boss, a massive damage sponge. I whittled down a third of his health before I died and there goes 4000+ echoes worth of progress. I'll try again tomorrow, but this may end up being as aborted as the DS experience.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since Demon's Souls is listed as playable on the RPCS3 emulator, I recommend downloading it and attempting to progress through the first level. If you can't manage this, then you shouldn't bother with the other Souls games, much less the even more action-oriented Bloodborne, and could have saved the money you spent on it and Dark Souls. :M

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
https://www.thegamer.com/bloodborne-producer-leaves-sie-japan/
As the old adage goes, all good things must come to an end. In a post on Twitter this morning, Bloodborne producer Teruyuki Toriyama announced that he would be leaving Sony's JAPAN Studio at the end of the month, ending a storied career with the console manufacturer that includes credits in games such as FromSoftware's masterpiece, Demon's Souls, and Soul Sacrifice.

In isolation, his departure is sad but understandable. Having worked on a lot of the same types of games for nearly a decade, Toriyama is likely looking for a new challenge in his career. It's not hard to understand why he might want a change of pace. What makes the news rather troubling is that Sony has recently lost a bunch of other talents, leading many to believe that JAPAN Studio is facing hardships.

Silva

Arcane
Someone said something about the "Gaming Moment of the Decade" (cvv ?) in another thread. Well, mine was getting home with my new PS4, unboxing it, firing up Bloodborne and getting out of Iosefka clinic to the Yharnam streets for the first time.

On a close second is probably Staker CoP, which I've played for the first time around 2010 with Misery mod (the first version, before it became true misery) and seeing the sun rise on the horizon (those God rays) atop a tree after running from radiated dogs. The most immersive experience I've ever had outside real life.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Beat the Cleric Beast, but I had to grind for all the armor upgrades, upgraded the axe twice, and used 10 molotov cocktails. Then I did the same for father what'shisname, though it was easier to stunlock him with bullets. I've now played an hour longer than Dark Souls and I'll keep at it until I hit an insurmountable wall or it starts feeling like work. So far I'm liking it better because of the lack of infuriating parts (so far), all the health vial drops, and how the dreamspace is the one-stop shop for leveling, buying consumables, and repairing (without the need to grind for a repairbox).

Wunderbar

Arcane
you can.
but you just complailed about having to grind a few souls for a repairbox in DaS1.
Grinding for convenience features is bad. Grinding for consumables, well that's just the price of my lack of skill.
What is better - grinding for a basic health potion during your whole playthrough, or grinding for one cheap item that isn't even mandatory since equipment degradation is so slow and cheap to fix it may as well not exist?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What is better - grinding for a basic health potion during your whole playthrough, or grinding for one cheap item that isn't even mandatory since equipment degradation is so slow and cheap to fix it may as well not exist?

It's the principle.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The blood vial grind is especially bad because Dark Souls already solved it by introducing an autorefilling Estus flask.

Complaining about grind in Dark Souls 1 because of a repair box, and then immediately saying that grinding in Bloodborne is tolerable is really stupid.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The blood vial grind is especially bad because Dark Souls already solved it by introducing an autorefilling Estus flask.

Complaining about grind in Dark Souls 1 because of a repair box, and then immediately saying that grinding in Bloodborne is tolerable is really stupid.

Potion refills don't help me much when I only get five (or ten if I want to throw away some humanity) and the next bonfire is a long way off.

Though looking back, I probably should have kindled that fire. Oh well. :M

Vorark

Erudite
A way to mitigate the blood vial grind is to buy extra vials with your remaining echoes after a level up/weapon upgrade and stash 'em away. By the mid to late game you'll probably have a fair amount in the storage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom