Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
threaded cane
Excellent choice.
Also keep it up, the shit that the game has in store for you is well worth getting used to its mechanics.
my resources keep getting drained buying flasks, bombs and clothes.
The key to enjoying souls game, especially when you start, is to keep in mind that you're not actually losing anything.
The game has no game over, and is completable at "SL0 bare hands" as proven daily by madmen speedrunners.
Ofc you're not supposed to be that skilled right off the bat, but it's just a way to remind yourself that you cannot really soft lock or pseudo-soft lock yourself.
Learn to light-heartedly let the souls/blood go and be happy.
Yeah there's actually no fail state in souls games. The only fail state is if you quit playing.
It's not like playing iron man xcom, iron man paradox or Steel Soul Hollow Knight where if you fail you have to start all over again.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Gentlemen only use the cane.
This is why I chose it. My character has a monocle. His name is Simon Goodmuffin. I even found a top hat for him to wear which I'm never taking off. I got randomly grabbed and squeezed to death by an invisible giant when picking it up. I'd rather figure out WTF that was on my own.

Egosphere

Arcane
So I just started this. It doesn't exactly draw you in. In fact, it tells you to fuck off in no uncertain terms. I'm an hour or two in and I've finally figured out how to upgrade my pistol and threaded cane. My weapon broke and I had to google how to fix it. Not getting your flasks back on death is fucking bullshit too. I died to the guy with the Gatling gun a couple times and now I have to grind for flasks before I fight him again. I'm taking a break instead. I would have got him if I could just go back and fight him immediately. I was getting a feel for it.

Still can't upgrade my blood flask, so no point levelling vitality yet. Damage seems quite low and the flask heals jack shit, so having a longer health bar is pointless until I can increase how much my flasks refill or I start getting one shot. So far I'm just putting my points in Skill. It seems you don't find a plethora of weapons in this game so I'm just committing to the cane.

Initial impressions are:

- The camera and lock on are just as bad as Elden Ring, so this is clearly a long running problem with From games like Bethesda and their physics jank. Probably here to stay.
- The fashion and atmosphere are top notch. It's a very cool game. 10/10 for style.
- I hate the movement. Its probably just that I need to get used to it, but I'm struggling to adapt. It doesn't help that in such a fast paced, mobile combat system the levels are so cramped at cluttered. I'm constantly getting stuck on things.
- The aforementioned flasks issue really fucks with the pace of one's progression. It feels grindy to a new player who dies a lot. Incredibly repetitive and therefore frustrating and somewhat boring.
- Its much, much harder in the early game than ER. The starting area is probably just as difficult as the Farum Azula or Consecrated snowfield. I think it drops you in the deep end a bit too much. Give me a chance to learn how to play!

I've barely levelled at all, my resources keep getting drained buying flasks, bombs and clothes. And dying. Mostly dying. So far I fucking hate it, but I'm committing to finishing at least one non-completionist playthrough. I get the feeling that there's a good game here, but its got quite a steep learning curve before you find the fun. That's okay, most of my favorite games have been that way. I'll persevere. But yeah, not love at first sight.
Agree about the difficulty. Was my first souls game, and Yarnham obliterated me many times over. The brutal start does have its appeal though - you feel like you can power your way through the whole game after you get Gascoigne down. Shame he's one of the best bosses in the game and is out of the way so early.

Egosphere

Arcane
One thing I did to conserve resources was limit myself to how many vials I'd use in a difficult encounter/boss fight. That way I'd still have enough left over after death to get back and have another shot at the enemy, and kept the trips to replenish stocks to a welcome minimum.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Agree about the difficulty. Was my first souls game, and Yarnham obliterated me many times over. The brutal start does have its appeal though - you feel like you can power your way through the whole game after you get Gascoigne down. Shame he's one of the best bosses in the game and is out of the way so early.
I beat him first try by just whipping him with my R2 from outside his melee range and tanking his gunshots because the damage was so low. I already guessed he'd wolf out phase 2, so I had my molotovs set to throw at him. I didn't figure him out at all really, his damage was too low for me to feel like I needed to. I didn't even realize he was a beloved boss, that encounter was kind of a non-event. Unless that wasn't the real Gascione fight and just a precurser. I'd rather not be spoiled if this is the case.

I've had quite a few deaths to the hunter with the gatling gun though. He hits so much harder than I do and my damage against him is barely anything. I actually do feel a bit underlevelled for that encounter, but I'm not sure where I was supposed to level up. I pretty much full explored the starting area (as best I could without guides) and then lost the 6.5k blood echoes I earned doing that fighting the Cleric Beast level 10 +0. I think I'm level 18 - 20 +2 now. Seems reasonable with so little time in so far, but a bit underpowered for the gun guy. I don't even think he's technically a boss.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Which guy with the Gatling gun? Aren't all of them easily avoidable? (As in, you can run around them?)
Wait, how many were there? IIRC there's just Djura and some random prick in the dlc no? Getting to Djura is a bitch the first time round when you don't know where he's gonna 360 no scope you.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Which guy with the Gatling gun? Aren't all of them easily avoidable? (As in, you can run around them?)
Wait, how many were there? IIRC there's just Djura and some random prick in the dlc no? Getting to Djura is a bitch the first time round when you don't know where he's gonna 360 no scope you.
Oh sorry. I totally forgot about the amazing experience of facing Djura the first time, before figuring out how, if one wants to, one can you know what I can't figure out how spoilers work here also 'enter' on my phone does not advance to the next line somehow so I'm gonna continue here ANYWAY, I thought you guys meant the wheelchair opponents, now I get it

Egosphere

Arcane
I beat him first try by just whipping him with my R2 from outside his melee range and tanking his gunshots because the damage was so low. I already guessed he'd wolf out phase 2, so I had my molotovs set to throw at him. I didn't figure him out at all really, his damage was too low for me to feel like I needed to. I didn't even realize he was a beloved boss, that encounter was kind of a non-event. Unless that wasn't the real Gascione fight and just a precurser. I'd rather not be spoiled if this is the case.

I've had quite a few deaths to the hunter with the gatling gun though. He hits so much harder than I do and my damage against him is barely anything. I actually do feel a bit underlevelled for that encounter, but I'm not sure where I was supposed to level up. I pretty much full explored the starting area (as best I could without guides) and then lost the 6.5k blood echoes I earned doing that fighting the Cleric Beast level 10 +0. I think I'm level 18 - 20 +2 now. Seems reasonable with so little time in so far, but a bit underpowered for the gun guy. I don't even think he's technically a boss.
No that was the Gascoigne fight, yeah. He's a great boss - fast, lots of different attacks, 2.5 very different stages, possible to make the encounter easier with a lot of exploration beforehand. I like to fight him with the axe, because you get perfect symmetry that way. For the gatling gun guy Djura, easy way to cheese that encounter is to start spamming your gun attacks as soon as you climb up the ladder and knock him off the ledge. When you reload the game, you will get his badge atop the tower. It's possible to actually talk to him if you take a really long way around and circle back around mid-game, but I never did it (and from what I recall it's a finicky process and he may aggro anyways). Taking him down the proper way is a very tough fight, due to the 'arena'.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
The cane is easily the gayest weapon in the whole game.
It's a very strange weapon. Not enough damage to make it all too useful in close quarters, but the game is so aggressive that the 2nd mode doesn't feel right - you end up trying to keep your distance and whittling down the enemy's health whilst they try and close in quickly.

cruel

Cipher
The Cane is IMO the hardest weapon to start with. I couldn't find a good weapon in the beginning, neither felt right, this changed when I got Ludwig's, but this one is arguably OP.

Maybe I should replay this game after few years hmm...

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Egosphere

Arcane
The Cane is IMO the hardest weapon to start with. I couldn't find a good weapon in the beginning, neither felt right, this changed when I got Ludwig's, but this one is arguably OP.

Maybe I should replay this game after few years hmm...

the axe is pretty good, the spin attack just sends everyone around you flying. granted, ludwig's is the best choice to upgrade to early in the game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The cane is easily the gayest weapon in the whole game.
It's a very strange weapon. Not enough damage to make it all too useful in close quarters, but the game is so aggressive that the 2nd mode doesn't feel right - you end up trying to keep your distance and whittling down the enemy's health whilst they try and close in quickly.
Yeah, the cane is weird. It has decent arcane scaling so I guess if you somehow get your hands on a fire rune early it might be a good option for arcane builds?

I prefer the axe, specifically the trick version, which is a halberd. Spin to win.

Machocruz

Arcane
Last time I played i was focusing on Chalice Dungeons. That was an interesting rabbit hole to go down, which began by just wanting to see if there was a way to get more blood rocks. Then I decided I wanted to understand how everything works; root chalices, FRC versions, user generated glyphs, false depth chalices, ways to exploit the system, farming, etc.

I know there is a lot of criticism towards CDs, but I think they are overall a significant value add, a (lesser, mind you) game unto itself, and further solidify BB as Muhzaki's magnum opus. That's without having played Elden Ring, but that looks completely uninteresting to me and I've seen or heard nothing that makes it seem equal to BB let alone better. Also, I don't think I can go back to another 'zaki armorfag game after BB and Sekiro.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Chalice dungeons are enjoyable occasionally. I'd like them to be developed further in a sequel.

The increased enemy stats don't add anything interesting to fights, and detract from the enemies you defeat in the main game. The environment should've been more varied in theme and color palette; more outside areas or indoor areas opening up into outdoor areas would've been great.

The loot could've been more varied, I would've liked to see randomized equipment, eg weapons with different combinations of movesets (from separate pools for different types of weapons so that a giant hammer with a dagger moveset doesn't happen) and different combinations of visual parts.

cruel

Cipher
I still remember fighting Amygdala in a cursed dungeon: one hit = you die. Good times.

The Decline

Arcane
Decided to jailbreak my PS4 and try Bloodborne with the FPS and frame pacing hacks. Currently setting it up.

*Edit*

Still working on it. More complicated than I thought, but at least jail breaking my PS4 was super easy. Of course once I get this running Sony will likely announce the PC port. :P

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Couldn't get through chaliced Rom. Fucking spiders onehitting me from all directions.

I appreciate how you can summon interesting NPCs in those dungeons, though -- a nice touch. (Not that they help :))

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom