Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
He's right, though.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
FromSoft has only made two good games, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, the rest are mediocre. Because Codexers can't afford to own both consoles and PCs they will deny this due to sour grape syndrome.

Go back to 4chan you idiot. Nobody here is denying that BB is a great game.

cruel

Cipher
The fact you have to buy a different console to play each of them shows why NOBODY should ever support consoles. "But you ain't gonna play BB hurr durr". Fuck it, don't give a shit. Just the idea of having to get a PS3, a PS4 and now a PS5 to play all the From soft console exclusives is so nonsensical my brain just can't even picture it. Do you guys stack all the consoles on top of another and fiddle with cables whenever you feel like playing a different game?

But... you are aware that TVs have couple of HDMI ports, right? And any decent TV can be connected to PS3, PS4, PS5 and PC at the same time and no cable switching is necessary? Not to include the fact, that PS3 was released in freaking 2006. With Demon Souls releasing in 2009, you had 13 YEARS to play the game at this point. How is your 2006 PC doing playing Elden Ring btw? Similar with PS4, 7 years of playing Bloodborne at this point.

All this 'consoles bad hurr durr' discussion can be summarized as this:
- if you live in the first world country: you like them, because they cost the equivalent of 2-3 grocery trips, and you're happy being able to play Demon Souls and Bloodborne for 13 / 7 years at this point
- if you live in the second world country: you hate them, because you can't afford paying for them with potatoes, so you create a mask of a ultra-hipster who doesn't like them and doesn't care, while still waiting for Bloodborne PC port for 7 years at this point

Both Demon Souls and Bloodborne are better games than 99% of the shit we're getting nowadays, there is really no logical argument not to play them. With some creativity (buying an used PS4 + Bloodborne, playing through, selling used when bored) you can even make the whole process super cheap, actually close to $0. Same with Demon Souls and PS3.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Sorry dude, still not buying a whole console just for a single game, least of all buying multiple consoles just to play an handful of titles that are spread out among all of them purely for the benefit of console manufactures. Fuck, i even saw consoltards claim consoles are better than PCs BECAUSE of exclusives, unable to understand apparently that they are being butt fucked by console corporations with that shit (you can tell how spoiled PC players are by comparison by their inability to deal with more than one gaming software client, which is no where near as bothersome has having to juggle multiple physical consoles).

My PC can play Elden Ring at steady 60 FPS without an itch thank you very much. It can also play a gargantuan amount of past console titles thanks to emulators, including Demon Souls.

And sure, consoles are cheap, but you also get what you pay for. I played Dark Souls 1 for the first time on PC, at high resolution and no fps drops of any kind. Dark Souls 1 on PS3? Lmao enjoy shit 720p resolution and sub 20 FPS in busy areas like Blighttown. And that means forever because the game will only play on PS3 which means 720p and sub 20 FPS even a decade down the line, or two decades.

Consoles are also responsible for shit trends like bloom, or vomit filters all intended to cover up low resolution textures. It's a fucking peasant hardware aimed at little kids who can't afford an enthusiast grade gaming platform and must rely on their parents who would never dish out anything more than what a console usually goes for. If it wasn't for the fact the Japanese never adopted the PC for some retarded reason there wouldn't even be a single reason to consider a console, like, ever.

And the way consoltardism addles the brain of normies is reason enough to avoid those fucking peasant contraptions. I knew a guy when i lived in the states who had a perfectly serviceable PC but still preferred to play games on his laptop, because in his demented normie brain playing on PC was too "nerdy" and the laptop was the closest thing to a console (he was playing retarded shit like City of Heroes so he couldn't use an actual console). I can't even wrap my head around that level of retardation.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If it wasn't for the fact the Japanese never adopted the PC for some retarded reason

PC's take up too much space in japanese homes

Consoles are also responsible for shit trends like bloom, or vomit filters all intended to cover up low resolution textures.

Hmm...
I'll have to doubt that, because the 6th gen suffered the most from lew texture resolutions, yet bloom and the like were barely a thing

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If it wasn't for the fact the Japanese never adopted the PC for some retarded reason

PC's take up too much space in japanese homes

I really don't buy that i think it was the result of console manufactures trying to maintain their monolopy on the Japanese gaming market. It was their greed that prevented the PC from gaining traction in Japan.

Hmm...
I'll have to doubt that, because the 6th gen suffered the most from lew texture resolutions, yet bloom and the like were barely a thing

All of the shittiest trends in modern gaying like bloom, fuzzy temporal aliasing shit, low res textures, shit brown or vomit green filters, motion blur to mask low frame rate, "dynamic" resolution that reduces sharpness on a pinch etc are all the result of the advent of multiplatform development which ground graphical development to the lowest common denominator determined by console releases. Crysis 2 looking like a console shooter compared to the first one points to this fact. It's not just that they had to downside the game's world compared to the first one due to the memory limitation of console hardware (Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2 come to mind as well here) but Crysis 2 even looks like a console game, with unnatural filtered lighting and colors, fuzzy textures and bloomy or blurry post-processing effects masking drawing distance.

Last edited:
Both Demon Souls and Bloodborne are better games than 99% of the shit we're getting nowadays, there is really no logical argument not to play them.

There's nothing illogical about not wanting to have more than one gaming system or not wanting to play games with shit graphics and shit performance. And if not for cuck imbeciles who are willing to buy a separate gaming machine just to play one or two exclusives we might not even have exclusives in the first place.

Sunri

Liturgist
FromSoft has only made two good games, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, the rest are mediocre. Because Codexers can't afford to own both consoles and PCs they will deny this due to sour grape syndrome.
Did you hear about emulators? I can play ds with 60 fps instead sub 30 on shitty ps3.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did you hear about emulators? I can play ds with 60 fps instead sub 30 on shitty ps3.
Yeah, I'd not soil my hands by touching a filthy.... pardon... console.

Silva

Arcane
On the connection between Oedon and Jizz..

"Oedon is a portmanteau of Odin and Oedipus, both male mythical figures who lost their eyes. Odin lost his eye for Insight, and Oedipus put out his own eyes due to madness from killing his male parent and impregnating his female parent.

Just as it is no coincidence that most of the human characters are female, so are most of the Great Ones. Kos (or as some say, Kosm). Ebrietas. Rom. Moon Presence by inference. While some like Amygdala may not have an explicit gender, Oedon is the only one with an explicitly male gender. So hard to imagine him being connected to fertility.

Now I could see one connection between Oedon and fertility. We know he does father children. And we know that he was involved in Laurence and Wilhem’s discovery in the ruins of the “pale blood”. Now blood is usually not white, and blood usually does not make you pregnant.

So what is pale in color, viscous like “oozing mucous blood”, and gets you pregnant? Jizz, or as some say, Jism. Seriously. This game is so full of period blood as a substance, and we have three different kinds of aborted/miscarried fetuses as items in the game that it wouldn’t be that crazy to have jizz as a major game element.

As you could imagine, censorship would prevent you from ever calling it jizz explicitly in the game. Blood is okay to advertise, period blood is too gross to advertise but okay to strongly reference in the game, and jizz would have to be very vaguely mentioned.

Again, how could you have a game that constantly talks about period blood, pregnancy and yet never mention jizz? That’s be weird. So I think they do mention jizz, and that it is Oedon’s jizz that is the pale blood they found and cures what ails you. Now they eventually have both Great One jizz and actual Great One blood. One cures stuff and one turns you into a beast. I think the jizz is the good one and the blood is the bad one.

And the church secretly work to bait Oedon to show up using fertile women so they can collect his jizz again. There’s plenty of Great Ones to collect blood from. Just go outside and slice open an Amygdala’s finger. Boom, Great One blood. Or get it from Ebrietas. It’s available. Yet the pale blood is rare. Why? Because it is Oedon’s jizz, so only way to get that is bait him to come.

And for the record, I am 100% serious in this fan theory.

Edit: one more thing. Yharnam is crawling with female Great Ones to get to Oedon. They know he comes in Yharnam for the humans. He was the first and only Great One in Yharnam during the time of Pthumerians. But as he started making waves in this space, female Great Ones gathered in waiting to get his jizz first. They are jealous of the humans like Hera. And yes, again I am being serious.

And another thing: the Church keeps the truth a secret. The obvious secret they keep is that the blood comes from Eldritch horror things. Maybe. But they advertise its ancient mystic blood. Surely they’ve had people ask “so where does this come from? What’s in it?” When they’ve been given blood. I think the Church reveals some details that it is blood from higher beings. They may not be explicit about how ugly those beings are, but the fact that it’s supernatural is not the secret. I think the secret is that it is jizz not blood.

Could you imagine America’s Bible Belt using angel blood to cure the ‘rona? Absolutely. Could you imagine them doing it if they were told it’s angel jizz? No way. So the secret is that it is jizz not blood because jizz is too gross."

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/g757z8/a_minor_breakthrough_in_the_etymology_of_oedon/

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The jab on PC master racers is lame, but the truth remains the truth : Bloodborne is absolutely fucking phenomenal like no other FromSoft game is.
It should be ported on PC at some point anyway, so no worries. It'll even be playable at an acceptable framerate.
But you'll see then. You'll see why people tend to lose their shit over Bloodborne. This game is absolutely phenomenal. I fucking weigh my words here.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The jab on PC master racers is lame, but the truth remains the truth : Bloodborne is absolutely fucking phenomenal like no other FromSoft game is.
It should be ported on PC at some point anyway, so no worries. It'll even be playable at an acceptable framerate.
But you'll see then. You'll see why people tend to lose their shit over Bloodborne. This game is absolutely phenomenal. I fucking weigh my words here.
Well, at some point it is inevitable, because at some point the PC will be able to run a PS4 emulator.
But it might also just be they're not going to, because like demon souls, they realize they can remaster it and get another console seller out of it.

MasPingon

Arcane
Both Demon Souls and Bloodborne are better games than 99% of the shit we're getting nowadays, there is really no logical argument not to play them.

There's nothing illogical about not wanting to have more than one gaming system or not wanting to play games with shit graphics and shit performance. And if not for cuck imbeciles who are willing to buy a separate gaming machine just to play one or two exclusives we might not even have exclusives in the first place.
Dude, don't be salty, I checked and it seems you can already buy Playstation in Lithuanian stores:
3f45f2dd5209fe2.png

Silva

Arcane
I think Yharnam may be located in our world. Bear with me..

- Oedon has strong similarities to Odin - runes, eye-gouging for insight, hunter symbol is a man upside down (hanging from a tree like Odin).

images

- Yharnam architecture looks eastern European and is said to be located in a hinterland of sorts, an isolated or difficult to access region.

- Father Gascoigne garb says he is from a land where "father" is a religious title, something absent in Yharnam. Which suggests his birthplace may be a Christian country.

- The setting's timeline clothes and technology coincide with our own: first muskets and wide hats in the time of Byrgenwerth, Logarius and Cainhurst (~1600), then tricorns in Ludwig's time/birth of the Church/Old Yharnam days (~1700), then breech-loading guns and overcoats in present (Victorian era, ~1800). There's a book with "1872" on the cover in workshop bookshelf, perhaps suggesting the game takes place around this time. I would guess around 1880-90 myself.

- Yharnam sounds like "Arkham", the famous place where HP Lovecraft stories occur and - a-ha! - it's also located in our world in his tales.

So yes, I think the setting being located in an obscure corner of our world is a possibility the game purposefully leaves open.

Ezekiel

Arcane

God, I hate gaming. How they just steal off each other without even trying to hide it or adding anything really cool of their own. It's always a FromSoftware clone but worse.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So I just started this. It doesn't exactly draw you in. In fact, it tells you to fuck off in no uncertain terms. I'm an hour or two in and I've finally figured out how to upgrade my pistol and threaded cane. My weapon broke and I had to google how to fix it. Not getting your flasks back on death is fucking bullshit too. I died to the guy with the Gatling gun a couple times and now I have to grind for flasks before I fight him again. I'm taking a break instead. I would have got him if I could just go back and fight him immediately. I was getting a feel for it.

Still can't upgrade my blood flask, so no point levelling vitality yet. Damage seems quite low and the flask heals jack shit, so having a longer health bar is pointless until I can increase how much my flasks refill or I start getting one shot. So far I'm just putting my points in Skill. It seems you don't find a plethora of weapons in this game so I'm just committing to the cane.

Initial impressions are:

- The camera and lock on are just as bad as Elden Ring, so this is clearly a long running problem with From games like Bethesda and their physics jank. Probably here to stay.
- The fashion and atmosphere are top notch. It's a very cool game. 10/10 for style.
- I hate the movement. Its probably just that I need to get used to it, but I'm struggling to adapt. It doesn't help that in such a fast paced, mobile combat system the levels are so cramped at cluttered. I'm constantly getting stuck on things.
- The aforementioned flasks issue really fucks with the pace of one's progression. It feels grindy to a new player who dies a lot. Incredibly repetitive and therefore frustrating and somewhat boring.
- Its much, much harder in the early game than ER. The starting area is probably just as difficult as the Farum Azula or Consecrated snowfield. I think it drops you in the deep end a bit too much. Give me a chance to learn how to play!

I've barely levelled at all, my resources keep getting drained buying flasks, bombs and clothes. And dying. Mostly dying. So far I fucking hate it, but I'm committing to finishing at least one non-completionist playthrough. I get the feeling that there's a good game here, but its got quite a steep learning curve before you find the fun. That's okay, most of my favorite games have been that way. I'll persevere. But yeah, not love at first sight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom