Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fucking ps4 exclusives :/

Gozma

Arcane
I'd think they wouldn't change the name from the "X Souls" brand if they were just gonna follow the same formula for gameplay and marketing design (i.e. the "it's soooooo hard gais" thing).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd think they wouldn't change the name from the "X Souls" brand if they were just gonna follow the same formula for gameplay and marketing design (i.e. the "it's soooooo hard gais" thing).

Apparently Dark Souls was codenamed "Project Dark" initially, so for all we know they might rename this game to "Beast Souls" at a later point.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Guise look what I found on teh internets lolz.

fixy25kjcz.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well the person who leaked those screens posted in the GAF thread and asked a poster if he'd like to play a new King's Field game, so.. I think that this new game has a bigger chance to be KF than ST. I just hope From Software hasn't gone full shitter and will name every single game as Souls now because of brand recognition.

Armored Souls

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Man, a sequel to Shadow Tower would be awesome. It's my favorite of all From's series.

I'd love them to go back to the first person perspective, too, but I doubt that's gonna happen. Too bad - their games are the only ones that can scratch that Ultima Underworld itch for me.

Machocruz

Arcane
Makes me want a Solomon Kane game. Not enough religious fanatic heroes in entertainment. I loved using Brimstone in Twisted Metal Black and hearing the preacher yell "Repent!!" during his special attack.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the running animation
the fighting animation
the walking through the fog door animation
the for door
the boss after it

this is definitely "souls"

I hope this is not the full video they are going to present on E3. Too short. Probably it's a hype train teaser before E3 starts.

Murk

Arcane
seems like some fans got a hold of footage and stitched it together (judging from the nondescript youtube + demon's souls music)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It being a PS4 exclusive only proves that Japanese business logic is completely insane. I literally can't think of any way this benefits FROM. Maybe they were in poor financial condition when they agreed to this and really needed that sweet exclusive money? Shit makes no sense otherwise. They're essentially whoring out their most valuable IP (Souls), which they completely own, and can likely negotiate very favorable publishing deals over with Namco, and getting what exactly, in return?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They haven't even officially announced the game yet let alone what platform it is for. Let's calm our tits down first and see if it really is a PS4 exclusive or not.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
There's never been an SCEJ developed game that wasn't a Playstation exclusive. It would make slightly more sense for FROM if it were something like a timed exclusive with a PC release later on - Dark Souls sold much better on PS3 than on Xbox afaik, and particularly well in Japan, to they might be comfortable skipping an XBone version, and they may have a strong enough position in their relationship with Sony that they could be allowed to release on PC as well.

Realistically though, it's going to be a proper exclusive. Nothing suggests otherwise.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Obviously it is a PlayStation exclusive but for all we know it could be for the PS3 just as well as the PS4. Even both could be possible. Of course the suicide option would be to make it PS4 exclusive in a vain hope to push console sales. The only reason Demon's Souls was able to do that was because the PS3 was so long into its life cycle that the price had dropped many times. I'm not sure that the name has the power to move that many PS4s yet, especially after so many people still feeling salty over DaS2.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I don't think it would move a lot of consoles, but it could sell decently. Early adopters, I think, are more likely to appreciate a game like this, so despite the install base being ~10 million when it releases, it could still do close to a million. Which isn't bad, but certainly not very impressive compared to the 3m+ DaS1 sold over its lifetime, and which DaS2 will probably eclipse.

Come to think of it, Souls sells very well on the PS3 in Japan. So maybe, from Sony's perspective, this is an attempt to improve dreadful PS4 sales in that territory. If that is indeed the case, it will fail miserably.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
PS4 exclusivity would alienate PC base.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom