Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
i don't know a single "hardcore gamer" who bought a PS4 yet... but i do know a couple dozen dudebros who bought it on release or a couple of months later because hey that's where BF4 is at. i'd like to know where you get your data (not implying mine is any more valid). what i call the "iphone effect" is when a new hyped tech toy comes out, there's a shitload of people who buy it just because it's new and hyped, regardless of it's practical use and/or price. it has always happened, but it seems to have grown by a sizeable percentage since the launch of the ihipsterphone

Morons outnumber sane/intelligent people so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i don't know a single "hardcore gamer" who bought a PS4 yet... but i do know a couple dozen dudebros who bought it on release or a couple of months later because hey that's where BF4 is at. i'd like to know where you get your data (not implying mine is any more valid). what i call the "iphone effect" is when a new hyped tech toy comes out, there's a shitload of people who buy it just because it's new and hyped, regardless of it's practical use and/or price. it has always happened, but it seems to have grown by a sizeable percentage since the launch of the ihipsterphone

Morons outnumber sane/intelligent people so this shouldn't come as a surprise.
:excellent:

Kanedias

Savant

Face your fears as you search for answers in the ancient city of Yharnam, now cursed with a strange endemic illness spreading through the streets like wildfire. Danger, death and madness lurk around every corner of this dark and horrific world, and you must discover its darkest secrets in order to survive.

Looks like the "endemic illness" is going to be this game's version of the Undead Curse.

Setting looks amazing. Makes me recall Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls a lot.

I was surprised none of the leaked stuff came from this video. I guess it was from some sort of gameplay trailer that is going to be released soon.

Also, we need a thread title change!

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bloodborne-ps4

Introducing Bloodborne, the latest Action RPG from renowned Japanese developer FromSoftware, exclusively for the PlayStation®4 system. Face your fears as you search for answers in the ancient city of Yharnam, now cursed with a strange endemic illness spreading through the streets like wildfire. Danger, death and madness lurk around every corner of this dark and horrific world, and you must discover its darkest secrets in order to survive.

• A Terrifying New World: Journey to a horror-filled gothic city where deranged mobs and nightmarish creatures lurk around every corner.
  • Strategic Action Combat: Armed with a unique arsenal of weaponry, including guns and saw cleavers, you'll need wits, strategy and reflexes to take down the agile and intelligent enemies that guard the city's dark secrets.
  • A New Generation of Action RPG: Stunningly detailed gothic environments, atmospheric lighting, and advanced new online experiences showcase the power and prowess of the PlayStation(R)4 system.

It mentions multiple weapons, and online experiences. Should be reassuring for those that feared these things not being in the game (though I am already sure this will be a Souls game in all but name)

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
According to the japanese website It's coming out in Spring.

Also,

RgU9X7t.jpg

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems to me a solid deal for From and Sony; From gets paid to develop the game and make a healthy profit (developers care more for money to keep the wheels turning rather than sales per unit numbers) Sony gets an exclusive which might not be a huge seller (think Shadow of the Colossus or Journey) which is more important from a PR and Marketing viewpoint, Souls fans get a proper Miyasaki game and everybody is happy but PC and Xbox gamers
For me this only solidifies my idea of buying a PS4 which I was going to do anyway but now I have even more incentive to do so for the exclusive Sony series I like like GoW, Uncharted, Last of Us and some multiplatform titles like Metal Gear and Red Dead

Old Hans

Arcane
pleeease mr. Miyagi make it for the computers! ! I already have one!

Athelas

Arcane
I though the trailer was somewhat underwhelming. Expected something a bit more atmospheric.

Although that's probably just my subconscious coping with the fact that this isn't coming to PC. :negative:

Kanedias

Savant
Checking the trailer again, it seems that all the deranged citizens that appear in it have some sort of fantasy Hypertrichosis, which is probably the reason this was called Project Beast.

WnxMKEC.jpg

xRMIQt7.jpg

PithHwL.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That looks awesome. I-It's not like I want to buy you, PS4-kun!

Any chance this could prove to be a timed exclusive, I wonder?

Shadenuat

Arcane
No worries. If it's really good, will pirate with emulator just in about 20 years later.

That's how I finished Breath of Fire 4 anyways.
One day I will finish Demon Souls like that too.

:negative:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
R&D is all things concerned with creation of game on new platform. It means their programmers needs to addopt new tech and learn new platform, their 3D artists needs to step up game, Sound tech also needs bump and so on.

For example GG changed completely how their engine handles textures and shaders so artists needed ton of time to get accustomed to that new way of doing things.

It doesn't mean FROM is on way of creating best looking game but changing for entirely new platform has downsides in therm of increased cost of developement.

We already know two games that are created in collaboration with Sony Japan. Deep Down and FROMs new game. Collaborations like that are created to share R&D so their developers can work faster on a game and company doesn't need to spend money learning new platform much.

They've already done this shit. The only thing they need is to port their new engine to the PS4, which is likely already done. If fucking indies manage to release on the PS4 without a hassle, or Flying Wild Hog with Shadow Warrior (to give an example of a 3D game with decent production values), then I'm sure From don't need Sony's exclusive expertise to do it. They're not making a graphics-showcase game on an exotic and unusual architecture, like Uncharted.

As of why they didn't pitch it to Namco.

Most of people think that selling more coppies = more money to developers. Reality is that that doesn't mean anything. What matter is their deal with money holder. If they can fund game themselves they can make ton of money on it due to shit ton of royalties money.
Now if you don't have the money like Obsidian. You are mercenary and you just are paid for game developement but you get nill from game sales (putting betsheda metacritic shit aside).

So if Sony proposed them good deal in therm of money, offered people to ease developement on new platform, they will hype them game and they will do marketing... suddenly exlusive title like that may be more profitable than for example their previous game.

Thanks, but I do know how the game publishing business operates (or at least about as much as an outsider can know from publically available info). Relative to the industry norm, From's position with Dark Souls is very strong. They own the IP (so they can conceivably shop it around to different publishers and negotiate better terms), they have their own sizable market segment with little competition, they have the resources to publish the games on their own in Japan. The only thing they need Namco for is the international release, and presumably for part of the funding. We don't really know much of the money Namco provided, but I'd definitely expect From to supply some of their own as well, which puts them in a position not unlike CDPR with Witcher games.

Point is, this is a strong position to be in, the Japanese profits are theirs alone, and they definitely get a much bigger cut of international sales than is usual for developer/publisher deals.

Honestly, main reason I can think of for Bloodborne not to be multiplatform is that Namco would've wanted it to release on last-gen as well.

We don't know the deal. What we know is that they are doing it which means deal was good for them.

Or they're stupid, or they agreed to this back when their situation was much worse, and now have to follow through. Really, with the newly released info, this seems like Demon's Souls Redux, which From were dissatisfied with.

I also don't like FROM creating exclusive because it will mean shitty 30FPS to play.

Maybe it'll be 60? Dark Souls 2 runs very well on shitty hardware, it's likely the same engine, and the PS4 is a pretty decent midrange setup. At the very least, it shouldn't have any of the painful performance problems Souls games suffered from on consoles.

FYI, most of my analysis assumed that this was supposed to be a Souls game in everything but name, which doesn't seem to be the case. There's no multiplayer (announced thus far), the mood is very different, and combat will apparently feature ranged weapons prominently. That makes a bit more sense, but I'm still surprised they let Sony keep the IP. I'll laugh so hard if there's going to be a multiplatform spiritual successor to this game.

praetor

Arcane
FYI, most of my analysis assumed that this was supposed to be a Souls game in everything but name, which doesn't seem to be the case. There's no multiplayer (announced thus far), the mood is very different, and combat will apparently feature ranged weapons prominently. That makes a bit more sense, but I'm still surprised they let Sony keep the IP. I'll laugh so hard if there's going to be a multiplatform spiritual successor to this game.

on this very page Kanedias posted info from the official page:
advanced new online experiences

the mood bears some similarities to Latria, as has been mentioned, and there's once again "a curse that plagues the land", but i welcome the shift towards a more horror-themed atmosphere (like what they promised but did not deliver for the 1st half of DaS2). we have no idea how prominently will the ranged weapons feature (i have a hard time believing it will be more prominent than DaS2 pre-nerf avelyns or hexes, otherwise it would basically be a Gears of Souls game), and from the the leaked gameplay a couple of weeks ago, it's very obvious it's a Souls game in everything but name (the combat looks much the same and they still have their usual fog gates, for crying out loud)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Oh well, one of my friends is already thinking about a PS4, all he needs is a bit of subtle persuasion at the right time :smug:

In a year+ that the game is coming there are probably going to be some other titles making the console worth buying.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I stand corrected. I still think we know too little to make a call either way. All the Souls games have a lot in common, and changing any of these aspects could alter the gameplay very substantially (for instance, by going from bonfires/archstones and recovering one's bloodstain after death to straight-up save points). On a sliding scale, the closer this is to a proper Souls game, the more stupid the whole deal makes From look. They'd basically be whoring out their most successful IP ever to help Sony sell PS4s in Japan. Can't imagine they're getting enough money out of this, especially since Sony seems to own the IP (again!).

ghostdog Hard to imagine it'll be worth buying before it's $200 with an extensive library of exclusive games. Especially since Bloodborne is the first of these that doesn't look absolutely banalshitboring.

abija

Prophet
Cowboy Moment: you're looking too hard to find a logical reason. It could be some guys with decision power are buddies or good old nationalism or some other weird ass reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom